PDA

View Full Version : FFVII on Steam - Questions, Help and Discussions

member_10074587
16th Jun 2012, 17:02
gematsu.com/2012/06/square-enix-register... (http://gematsu.com/2012/06/square-enix-registers-final-fantasy-vii-pc-domain)

member_10074587
21st Jun 2012, 22:09
FF VII steam update

gematsu.com/2012/06/final-fantasy-vii-st... (http://gematsu.com/2012/06/final-fantasy-vii-steam-re-release-leaked)

Rebelphoenix-254101
14th Aug 2012, 16:32
With all the problems people are having getting this game, is their some way you folks at Square will make the process easier and just release it on steam? I'm very interested in this game, but with everything I've seen here, I have no desire to get involved. Please release it on Steam. Thank you.

Sen_Auditore
14th Aug 2012, 16:44
With all the problems people are having getting this game, is their some way you folks at Square will make the process easier and just release it on steam? I'm very interested in this game, but with everything I've seen here, I have no desire to get involved. Please release it on Steam. Thank you.

If they wanted this on steam, they would have released on there. Its just early problems, doesnt mean its gonna be like that forever. Sorry to say but there is no chance of this being released on Steam.

Skittles
14th Aug 2012, 20:26
I think that in a few months it'll be released on steam, but they probally want to just keep it as a square-enix estore exclusive for a while.

infectedmite
14th Aug 2012, 20:50
It will not happen. SE has the monopoly on Final Fantasy games and is not willing to give 30% of the profit of sales to Steam by selling there. The only Final Fantasy game even mentioned on Steam is Final Fantasy XI which is an MMO.

Rebelphoenix-254101
14th Aug 2012, 20:51
They didn't have any kind of issue with releasing Deus Ex and Sleeping Dogs on steam.

Skittles
14th Aug 2012, 21:51
It will not happen. SE has the monopoly on Final Fantasy games and is not willing to give 30% of the profit of sales to Steam by selling there. The only Final Fantasy game even mentioned on Steam is Final Fantasy XI which is an MMO.

Well their is one of the Final Fantasy Online games for sale on steam.

Rebelphoenix-254101
15th Aug 2012, 08:27
They are keeping far too tight a grip on a game this old. They need to release it in a better way without restrictive DRM. They are loosing out on a lot of money by doing this, even if steam takes a cut.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 10:11
I personally think they are using this game as a way to set up their own service for PC gamers. Given how Square-Enix is losing money (I think) they are probably tapping in the PC market for some extra munnies. Also remember they are planning to roll out the New-Newly Re-Done final fantasy MMORPG on PC.

saulz
15th Aug 2012, 10:41
Some brainless **** in management made a foolish decision. If this had been released to reputable online retailers it would have sold a huge amount. Trying to force people to use their own inferior store only makes them look like a **** to the entire PC community.

member_10822883
15th Aug 2012, 10:45

Well, that's just it; as the OP mentions, FFXI is available, but they're not making their sales from unit price there- the money comes from the monthly fees. Granted I know next to nothing about Steam, but I assume Steam takes only 30% profit from the unit sale itself, not additional fees.

Rebelphoenix-254101
15th Aug 2012, 12:04
But in six months or less FFXIV will go Free to Play... It's not like it's WoW or anything.

reiella
15th Aug 2012, 19:30

Well, that's just it; as the OP mentions, FFXI is available, but they're not making their sales from unit price there- the money comes from the monthly fees. Granted I know next to nothing about Steam, but I assume Steam takes only 30% profit from the unit sale itself, not additional fees.

With MMOs on Steam, if you have secondary market services [which the various Crysta services may well qualify under] you have to accept Steam Wallet as a payment source.

Asuha
15th Aug 2012, 19:50
Probably not. The PC version is Square Enix Store exclusive, but you can also purchase FFVII on PSN for PS3, PSP and in a couple weeks on PS Vita.

josh007cl
19th Aug 2012, 12:49
So I added FFVII as a non-Steam game it it works just fine. Great if you want to use full screen but still use an online guide. So now that I added it, are there any good final fantasy vii groups to join on steam?

tonkinese-532285
6th Dec 2012, 05:55
so why no steam release?
was thinking of buying this but hell no not with your terrible deleviry service.
30 day cant download, bad drm ect ect.
So seriously Why no steam release .The Game WILL SELL LIKE HOT CAKES
at least square enix will make an actual profit with a final fantasy game for once.

MrOfdensen
6th Dec 2012, 06:58
What a coincidence, I was just about to post something like this myself. Also, I am quite curious as to why they didn't distribute it via Steam as well. EVERY pc game (almost) is put through Steam.

Squaresoft going the route they went with bad DRM and the whole 30 day download stuff almost seems like they don't want millions of people to buy their game.

danieljmckechnie
10th Dec 2012, 19:19
seriously guys, what are you thinking. put it on steam already, i've bought the ps1 version twice and the original PC version once and ill buy it again but not from anywhere but steam. don't dig in your heels, listen to your customers.

Luxion
10th Dec 2012, 21:22
For real, can we just see a great Final Fantasy in all its Glory??? I feel like 7 gets way to much attention, and to be completely honest, I havent connected with 7, nor, 12, nor 13. Now, Final Fantasy in all is a great game, but stop spinning your tires with Final Fantasy 7. You can only milk a cow so long before it goes dry.

Luxion
10th Dec 2012, 21:24
seriously guys, what are you thinking. put it on steam already, i've bought the ps1 version twice and the original PC version once and ill buy it again but not from anywhere but steam. don't dig in your heels, listen to your customers.

and sadly, yes I have bought it twice as well.

poumeyrol
11th Dec 2012, 16:18
Steam would make life much much easier. I've bought it several times as well...

Bridgetkfisher
27th Dec 2012, 21:12
I saw on google that FF7 is on steam, looks fun but I do not see it there.
Do I need to buy it here then get a code and activate on steam?

Many people tell me this is the best FF so I want to check it out, big hitman and tomb raider fan so hoping FF7 is more like that!

Bridgetkfisher
28th Dec 2012, 15:01
I dont think that will work if buy from square enix, got msg from support only retail version activate on square enix for code with games, that what it said hitman.

dickymoon
22nd Jan 2013, 05:04
Don't know what all the huff n puff is about? I got no problem with the new PC version v1.0.6, looks real well with re-res'd graphics, minior sound tweaks, plus new challanges. Taylor " I feel like 7 gets way to much attention" You are on the FF7 forum, leave if you don't want to hear about it.

AngeloBRS
8th Feb 2013, 07:02
I also bought several times, and now I can't donwload or install. If it were on steam we'd have no problems at all

AngeloBRS
8th Feb 2013, 07:02
I also bought several times, and now I can't donwload or install. If it were on steam we'd have no problems at all

Grimoire
12th Mar 2013, 20:43
Rumour: FFVII and FFVIII on Steam gs.inside-games.jp/news/394/39479.html (http://gs.inside-games.jp/news/394/39479.html)

member_10239333
20th Mar 2013, 20:51
Rumour: FFVII and FFVIII on Steam gs.inside-games.jp/news/394/39479.html (http://gs.inside-games.jp/news/394/39479.html)

I hope they will give us steam keys :S

moooka
21st Mar 2013, 05:50
It would be great if they release them on Steam.

destruction7
21st Mar 2013, 06:04
Hope they don´t mess with FFVIII!Steam is a sacred place for PC Games/gaming

Looks FFVII on PC re-release! little issues, Square Enix was amateur and messed FFVII reputation and popularity!

member_10634684
12th Apr 2013, 11:34
I hope that it is okay to revive a 3 week old thread.

But I got tired of waiting for a release on a platform like Steam. And I decided to go ahead and buy the version on the Square Enix Store. I should have done more research. It turns out I'm slightly regretting my impatience. It turns out this version is not quite as good as it should be. Steamworks would be much better.

My original reasons for supporting a Steam release were that the game would not get near the exposure it deserves on the PC market without being available through Steam. The majority of PC gaming purchases are made through Steam. Now I feel that the game needs a Steam release because the copy protection is kind of over-arching and customer punishing.

I don't think that this game should come with DRM at all. Because this game is already illegally distributed a lot. So DRM isn't going to prevent people from pirating the game. But if the game needs to come with DRM, Steamworks would be much better. Steamworks is something I can handle and is customer friendly.

I really hope that Square Enix fix this port. And release this game on Steam. Because Final Fantasy VII is a good game that deserves a good PC port, and on platforms like Steam for people to buy and enjoy it.

Grimoire
12th Apr 2013, 15:44
No thread will ever grow too old to be of at least some use.

Chatoyant7
20th Apr 2013, 14:08
Does anyone know when they will be releasing it on Steam anytime soon?

BalthierBeoulve
20th Apr 2013, 14:22
Any news about FVIII?? http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-frown.gif

Chatoyant7
20th Apr 2013, 15:15
You mean FFVII

Grimoire
20th Apr 2013, 16:29
No, FFVIII.

Nothing new.

Chatoyant
20th Apr 2013, 18:14
Oh i see SWEET there putting 8 on steam too?

Grimoire
20th Apr 2013, 18:35
By the looks of it, yes.

MrOfdensen
15th May 2013, 08:20
It indeed looks like Square decided to put it on Steam. When it will be released, I have no idea. But this cdr.thebronasium.com/app/39140 (http://cdr.thebronasium.com/app/39140) and this store.steampowered.com/eula/39140_eula (http://store.steampowered.com/eula/39140_eula) seem to point towards a definate Steam release.

I was wondering when Square would come to their senses. Now all I have to do is hope they distribute Steam keys to those who bought the game.

Edit: I just did some quick searching, and FFVII and FFVIII have game hubs on Steam. You just cannot access them. Also the last update on FFVII's CDR page was 2013-05-15 09:13:50 (this morning).

Grimoire
15th May 2013, 09:56
na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29328701/Re-Release?pg=2)

Moxiesan
4th Jul 2013, 12:23
Dear Square-Enix,

I have bought this game many times over the course of my life because it is awesome and I love supporting the makers of something great. However, with DRM added to this version, I sadly will not support you in this manner and I feel like alot of people will agree. Please remove the DRM, and I'm sure many people will buy it and line your pockets with more money. Besides, Steam already has DRM AND a cloud saving service built in, so why make us jump through hoops? Until it's removed, I and many others shall not partake on this game.

( P.S. To all you big corporations out there, an internet connection requirement for a SINGLE PLAYER game is definitely uncool.)

-The User

member_10540987
4th Jul 2013, 13:07
Amen to that.

Grimoire
4th Jul 2013, 19:05
eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy... (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-vii-launches-steam)

So we figured it was about time that we should probably make one of the industry’s classic games of all time available on Steam.

And we did!

Final Fantasy VII is out now at a celebratory price of £9.99/€12.99/$11.99 and includes all of the features introduced last year in the Square Enix Store exclusive edition, including a Character Booster that lets you max out your character, optional cloud saves, plus in-game achievements and optimisation for modern PCs!

You can check out full details on the game’s official website (http://finalfantasyviipc.com/), but if you’ve been wishing you could add Final Fantasy VII to your Steam collection – and I’ll admit that I certainly have – then now’s your chance.

Please note – if you’ve already got the Square Enix Store version of the game, you’ll be able to access your existing cloud saves with the Steam version too.

AngeloBRS
4th Jul 2013, 20:29
What if I have the Square Enix store version, can I register it on Steam?

EternalAmbiguity
4th Jul 2013, 23:43
Wait a minute...is there DRM there separate from the Steam DRM?

Arsene-Lupin
5th Jul 2013, 02:44
It's exactly the same version of the game as the one you can buy through the Square-Enix online store, so in order to play the game (at all) you have to log-in to your Square-Enix account and connect to the SE servers.

And on top of that, there's the regular steam DRM.

I was actually planning on buying the steam version simply because I hate have to mess with the Square-Enix DRM with the PC version I bought last year through their shop. Now I guess I'll just stick to the PSN version.

dragondax
5th Jul 2013, 03:43
Bought FF VII thru steam. Excited to play it again after all these years. Go to hit play and ... Service Unavailable WTF!!!!! Its a single player game!!

member_10570216
5th Jul 2013, 03:49
It's exactly the same version of the game as the one you can buy through the Square-Enix online store, so in order to play the game (at all) you have to log-in to your Square-Enix account and connect to the SE servers.

And on top of that, there's the regular steam DRM.

This is incorrect. You do not have to log into SE anything.

Today I have personally purchased from Steam and downloaded ff7 to add to my collection, for testing purposes. This is in addition to the original 1998 PC copy that I am very experienced with patching and modding.

The steam version is actually playable completely off-line. It's also Qhimm.com Bootleg Moddable. There is a very detailed FAQ/Tutorial thread available there that has now been updated to reflect the Steam version. All this squabbling about steam keys is virtually irrelevent, from a modding standpoint, allthough I suspect SE will not give steam keys period and some people will have legitimate reason to want them. Give the steam download a go. It's either intensely frustrating or super awesome tinkering fun to learn how to do bootleg and other mods.

mrfunkyjunkie
5th Jul 2013, 05:24
too bad you didnt get your software QA'd before releasing to a mainstream distributor.

dont spose you have an explanation as to why ff7_en.exe is detected as being packaged with W32/NGVCK.d by MacAfee? - false positive im sure, but you should really ensure these things arent an issue when releasing to such a large consumer base, such as steam.

if you want independent verification - refer below... heres hoping you can sort this out for the plethora of customers who use antivirus software.

www.virustotal.com/en/file/68cf1b8c1d732... (https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/68cf1b8c1d732cc00a1ddb02ced161f7c94b06680d9e8641a11c7361417375c2/analysis/1373021660/)

Grimoire
5th Jul 2013, 05:28
[Final Fantasy VII launches on Steam!]
eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy... (http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/final-fantasy-vii-launches-steam)

[Phil Elliott] - 04/07/2013 14:16
[Hi folks, I've passed on your messages regarding Steam keys, but unfortunately it's not possible to give out keys to those who have already bought another version of the game. I understand that's not ideal for folks wanting to use Steam to launch the Square Enix Store version, so sorry about that.]

Opetyr
5th Jul 2013, 06:16
Can you then tell me how why people were told that the only way to purchase this game for PC was online "exclusively" through the website? If third party websites like greenmangaming.com and others can get Steam keys for a product you sold, then why can't we get one generated from the makers of the game that know we bought it?

ExileAffliction
7th Jul 2013, 13:35
3 days later and no fix for this mess, lovey square.

Xaromir
16th Sep 2013, 12:51
Why do i need this account to play Final Fantasy 7? Keep in mind that "because we want you to" is not a valid answer for me as an end-user.

Is there any reason besides not wanting to give Valve 30%? Something that actually benefits me? Something that enhances my experience with this one specific game? I don't think so, you don't even give me a Japanese language pack. Bad service.

I'm always interested in supporting the developers and publishers who do things i like, so i often buy games multiple times and give away games i like, but i don't like this. Next time Square re-release something that i'm interested in, i will just buy the original on eBay, if i don't have it in my possession already that is.

http://dl.dropbox.com/s/64gbp5mjp34xzmy/ff-1.jpg

That's 0% of nothing next time round. :whistle:
Be more customer-friendly, and cut that crap out please. Thanks.

chrissmithrmn1
5th Oct 2013, 09:12
I just purchased FF7 through Steam, and am incensed that you require me to register with you; moreover that the default options are to receive spam from you, that you cannot turn off without going in to my account options (an account that i do not want).

My opinion of your service is very low.

Draxas
8th Oct 2013, 09:20
The thing is....
i just tried the boost function.
nice thing.
But i dont want a save game in the Reactor at the start with the Chars, so extremely high live...

does someone know how i can delete my saves from the cloud?
Allways whene i start the game, he synchonice and download the manipulated ones

deleted all saves with taking writing rights to upload the good one, but nothing works..

ps.: Sry for my bad english ^^

BadBusinessDecision
11th Oct 2013, 21:05
I agree, what is the purpose of registering a 15 year old single player game? The "pirates", they already have it, Barn open... animals vanished.
So, this is either futile DRM; or ham-fisted advertisement. Thanks for punishing my integrity, Squeenis.

Tukhong
30th Nov 2013, 03:46
Hi everyone,

I tried to turn on Cloud Save but it always be failed although my internet connection is OK.
I cannot save game at all and i lost all the progress after 2 hours playing.

There is only Downloading Data Save and Check your internet again.

How to fix it? or I only turn off Cloud Save and play?

Thx,

Krenos
30th Nov 2013, 19:40
Having the same issues, Lost a pretty long save... Just disappeared on me... I wish there was a place to check the service status

fuck_u_square
2nd Dec 2013, 00:51
Dear Squeenix,

Are you purposely going out of your way to be the most un-gamer-friendly publisher out there? I've hated your games since you sold out and created that skidmark "Final Fantasy VIII" (or, as I like to call it "Final Fantasy: 90210") but perhaps due to a bought of holiday nostalgia, I took advantage of the Steam Sale & purchased "Final Fantasy VII".

After waiting for it to download & install, I clicked [Play] thinking that I would be plunged back into the slums of Midgar after all these years. Instead, I'm presented with a log-in screen. I'm already signed into Steam, mind you. Why should I have to create an account on your crappy website to play a RETAIL game that I PAID for? I mean, it's not like this is an MMO...

So, anyway, I absolutely could not be bothered with coming up with a username & password for your ridiculous website, so I tried using the Facebook button. No dice. Doing that causes an endless loop of being sent back to the login screen (for a one-player game purchased through a service that I'm ALREADY LOGGED INTO)!

So, here I am: Instead of playing FF7, I am writing this forum post (since you can't be bothered with listening to your customers enough to provide a "Contact Us" link on your webpage. I don't want technical support, I just wanted you to know how infuriated I am that you think your games are so damn special that people should have to log into another service beyond Steam in order to play them. This ain't 1997, guys. You're not king of the mountain anymore; not by a long shot!

Oh - And just a piece of advice: If you want Final Fantasy XV to be competitive in the current video game market, you might want to outsource to a developer that knows how to create video games (as opposed to Choose Your Own Adventure books with pretty graphics). We've suffered through the abhorrent mini games in your RPGs. We know what you are and aren't capable of. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Montavious
5th Dec 2013, 23:46
Are the people who bought FF7 from this site getting steam keys?

Neevil
6th Dec 2013, 05:25
I would love to know this as well.
I had to get a new HDD and I can't download the game again. I would much rather have it on steam; on an account I know I won't have trouble with in the future.

bmtran
6th Dec 2013, 05:31
I have been searching frantically for one as well. I completely agree with Neevil, Steam is so much more reliable. If anyone knows please tell us how!

bmtran
6th Dec 2013, 05:39
http://eu.square-enix.com/en/blog/notice-square-enix-store-customers-who-purchased-final-fantasy-vii

wow bull****

TTGL-Ruydo
6th Dec 2013, 10:19
Hello.
I just purchased FF VIII via STEAM, BUT unfortunately I have some problems with playing it.
Actually the game launcer doesn't response after I try to type in my Square log 'n' pass. After several minutes the process just shut down.
I can freely browse launcers window until clicking the input boh tho.

Are there any actions I can perform to fix that?

Montavious
6th Dec 2013, 12:45
THis is why im happy ive never bought a game from them since i bought FF7 from their store. When I had to jump through hoops to download the game again, and they told me they were doing me a courtesy and didnt have to do it, I never bought anything from them again. Worst company ever.

MrShourin
7th Dec 2013, 00:17
I purchased FF7 when it went on sale on steam. Thinking that I could play it on my laptop when I'm not at home. Now I find that a game title from 1997 Requires a internet connection to play. Why was this done?

Not only I cannot play this game at my brothers place or my sisters place. BUT other people with bad / no internet cannot play this game.
Steam has a offline mode. But this is the only title in my library that requires a 24/7 internet connection. Is there a offline option I'm missing in the options or are people sorting poor people from rich people?

MrShourin
8th Dec 2013, 01:38
I only bought this game over steam because my old disc copy do not install on modern OS. "Thanks Microsoft!!!" I was unaware that they put always DRM on a title that's more then 10 years old. DRM does not work in any way but punish the people who purchase a game. These games still get pirated and those people can actually play it. While all of us honest people who actually pay for a game get the royal screw job. So now if i ever lose my internet connection I cannot play and it will happen. Anyone here who is a Comcast customer will know what I'm talking about! Another thing. Leaving the login screen up counts to your play time. Steam says that I already played 87 min... Yeah I played 87 minutes of the trying to get the login to work game!

AcodeX
22nd Dec 2013, 03:56
Because now that you made me go through the hassle of signing up for a Square Enix account in order to play the game that I spent my money on, I am excited to say I won't be buying any more Square Enix products!

Thank you!

NaviLoxia
22nd Dec 2013, 04:09
Hello! I bought FFVII yesterday.
But it's always crash when after save file.
Can you guys fix this problem?
Thanks a lot!

Elpawo
27th Dec 2013, 17:57
I bought the game some days ago either.
I tried to save at the first saving-point several times and it said something like Cloudsaving successful.
But when I leave the game and restart it in order to load my previously saved game I am only able to start a new game.
Does anybody know how to load the Cloud-saved files?

As an additional information: I bought the game on Steam.

wi5paa
28th Dec 2013, 20:26
I downloaded it 2 days ago and the cloud was unavailable.
I can save it in game at the save points on my computer though locally.
Just untick the cloud in settings and play the game and save at checkpoint to pc.

I'm sure you could copy a save file from your pc to laptop or visa-versa , probably not the right thing but it should work.

wi5paa
28th Dec 2013, 20:27
im not having the crash issue so not sure what the problem is , sorry.

CloudNowOnSteam
22nd Jan 2014, 22:06
Many Steam users, myself included, would like to see Final Fantasy VII and VIII take part in Valve's Steam Trading Cards. Would you?

(just to grease the wheel for Square-Enix) the company that owns the game makes a profit from every card that's bought/sold on the market. [a whopping one cent usd]

Headstash
13th Mar 2014, 03:08
so i thought i would buy final fantasy VII for pc download, but it turns out i have to get Steam. what's the point of coming to your website and trying to buy a game if i have to go download something else just to get a game made by you. oh well, i'm not interested in downloading steam so i guess i won't be buying your game. you can put that down as a fail for you guys

Calvicus
13th Mar 2014, 17:12
If you own a PC and are interested in PC gaming, you have no reason not to download Steam. We aren't talking about Origin, Steam is actually useful. If steam is the reason keeping you from downloading FFVII, I suggest you put down the keyboard and try gaming on other devices, as steam is practically essential for retail PC gaming nowadays.

moooka
14th Mar 2014, 01:57
Steam is the best and strongest digital distribution game service, I'd choose to buy from there than on the Square Enix site anyday.

minipivi
29th Mar 2014, 03:23
I just bought Final fantasy VII via steam and i simply can't play it, i'm connected the game is ''Open'' but everytime i hit the button play, I get this window http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/327312FFerror.png

what am i suppose to do for it to work?

D4rk_0rchyd
31st Mar 2014, 00:07
I just had to google the error message and came up with a solution found on the steam forums.
Probably has to do with your antivirus. See bottom of the page for code error 2 and 5.

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157599102