PDA

View Full Version : TDS video issues

N1ceDrgn
15th Nov 2006, 16:59
Hello Taffers, I need some help. I recently reinstalled my copy of TDS and the graphics are 'every which way but working'. After the results I got, I spent time on updating the drivers for my machine ranging from the main board to the basics, video and sound. For some reason, the graphics appear 'smeared'.

The specs on my box are:

WinXP SP2
2Gb memory
760Gb HD space
Audio: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer
Video: Radeon 9800XT / 256Mb onboard

This is what I see:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/N1ceDrgn/Web/Loading.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/N1ceDrgn/Web/Menu.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d49/N1ceDrgn/Web/Options.jpg

Does anyone have 'any' recommendations? :mad2:

cradle_curdled
15th Nov 2006, 22:08
Very odd; never seen anything like that. You sure you weren't on mushrooms when you took the shots? :lol:

I think removing and re-installing into a different folder would be the first thing to try. I can't personally advise on Radeon cards, but it would likely be worth checking for driver updates, and similar problems to yours on their forum, if they have one.

From those shots, though, it looks to be a font-related problem only. Have you tried scaling the default fonts up/down via the .ini files?

John P's texture pack may also inadvertantly cure the smears.

N1ceDrgn
15th Nov 2006, 22:29
I have actually been scouring the web looking for hints but as of yet I have not found any fixes. All drivers right now though, are up to date.
As for editing the .ini files, no, I haven't gone that path yet.

cradle_curdled
15th Nov 2006, 23:10
In DEFAULT.INI, under [FontMappings], you can mess with fonts (backup first, obviously). To try a different default font altogether, substitute every reference of "Papyrus_21" with "VTCGoblinHand_18."

Scale the size of fonts down by changing like so:
(Original)'Papyrus14__tp=Papyrus_21,0.81,0.80'
(Change to)'Papyrus14__tp=Papyrus_21,0.61,0.80'

The above would make instances of Papyrus (default menu text) a little bit smaller. Change that '61' to '91' and the default font is now bigger than normal...you get the idea. If you decide to stick with an altered font, you may later wish to change the 'NumVisibleRows=' instances for all the different game menus. Those are found in T3UI.ini.

If changing fonts doesn't alter anything, then at least you know it's a larger graphical issue.

N1ceDrgn
16th Nov 2006, 20:45
I'll try the 'font switch' out later tonight. In the mean time though, would uninstalling the software from it's current install location. Then reinstalling it to the primary hard drive, would this change things at all? So that it didn't have to traverse a raid controller?

PaladinOfKaos
18th Nov 2006, 02:00
I was having the same issue. I found the solution burried in the Catalyst control center. Make sure you're in 'advanced view, and under '3d->API Specific', click the 'Support DXT Texture Formats' box. That fixes it nicely, for me at least.

Good luck.

N1ceDrgn
18th Nov 2006, 03:58
I was having the same issue. I found the solution burried in the Catalyst control center. Make sure you're in 'advanced view, and under '3d->API Specific', click the 'Support DXT Texture Formats' box. That fixes it nicely, for me at least.

Good luck.

What were the other settings you have chosen? I've had that option enabled however I haven't been able to clear things up yet. If you have the time, I'd like to learn what your other settings are for your card. Thanks..

PaladinOfKaos
19th Nov 2006, 03:55
My brother's on that computer right now, so I'm doing this from memory... I'll double-check it all when I get a chance.

Anti-aliasing: Let the Application Decide
Anisotropic Filtering: Let the Application Decide
Adaptive AA: Off
Catalyst A.I.: Off
Mipmap detail level: Quality

Under API-Specific:
Geomtery Instancing: Checked
Support DXT: Checked
Alternate Pixel Center: Unchecked

The OpenGL stuff doesn't apply to TDS.

Also, I always try keep my drivers up to the most recent version, so double check that.

theBlackman
19th Nov 2006, 06:57
Try www.omegadrivers.net Drivers for ATI, GL, Nvidia, and 3Dfx.

Usually better than the company drivers.

N1ceDrgn
19th Nov 2006, 21:41
My brother's on that computer right now, so I'm doing this from memory... I'll double-check it all when I get a chance.

Anti-aliasing: Let the Application Decide
Anisotropic Filtering: Let the Application Decide
Adaptive AA: Off
Catalyst A.I.: Off
Mipmap detail level: Quality

Under API-Specific:
Geomtery Instancing: Checked
Support DXT: Checked
Alternate Pixel Center: Unchecked

The OpenGL stuff doesn't apply to TDS.

Also, I always try keep my drivers up to the most recent version, so double check that.

"Warmer~" (hehehe) Thanks for the info but it's still not quite there. Things don't look 'quite as bad' but they're still pretty messy looking. I'm debating on reloading my computer rather than stressing about this anymore.
As for drivers, I too do my best to stay current. However, for some reason, I can't get drivers any more recent than September to load. Another reason why I am considering, reloading the computer.

N1ceDrgn
26th Nov 2006, 18:31
Well, after a system reload and everything being fresh, I still get the same errors. I was able to update the video drivers, I'm going to try updating the sound drivers to check for any impact. This is starting to get old though, I really want to play but I can't get the graphics to work. I've installed the only patch I know of, updating things to 1.1. Does anyone have any ideas?

I've also installed The Metal Age and it runs like a champ. Would anyone know off hand what the differences are? Why would one program run fine and the other have video issues?

N1ceDrgn
28th Nov 2006, 18:59
With a fresh install and drivers updated to the 'bleeding edge', I still get the same errors. I been reading on forums hosted by the manufacturer for my main board on through fan sites. I have not heard anyone having this issue, this severe.
I'm about to resend a message to Eidos Tech Help for assistance, even if it does take them 30 days+ to reply. With 'The Metal Age' running smooth, I'm curious to learn just 'how many' changes were made between the two versions.
When 'The Metal Age' runs fine and 'Deadly Shadows' gives me this.
I also have an updated DxDiag if anyone wants to take a look.