PDA

View Full Version : RegClean Utility in 1st sticky?

AncientCrone
15th Nov 2006, 12:10
I've read through the first sticky about improving PC performance to avoid crashes etc.; loads of people found the RegClean Utility useful but the Microsoft website now says "The RegClean utility is no longer supported and has been removed from all Microsoft download sites". I'm sure it (or something similar) could be found elsewhere, but, as I'm not very technical I'm somewhat alarmed that Microsoft have removed it. ADVICE PLEASE?

CPU = Pentium 4 2.8GHz OS = XP Home
RAM = 1GB Video = NVIDIA GeForce 6200

theBlackman
15th Nov 2006, 20:34
www.hoverdesk.net >FREEWARE> Regseeker

Have no idea about MS and thier cleaner, but use the above all the time with no problems.

cradle_curdled
15th Nov 2006, 21:48
I've read through the first sticky about improving PC performance to avoid crashes etc.; loads of people found the RegClean Utility useful but the Microsoft website now says "The RegClean utility is no longer supported and has been removed from all Microsoft download sites".

RegClean was never an official MS product; it appeared shortly after Win95's release and was effectively "discontinued" after WinME. It was only intended for 95/98/ME. It was also pretty poor at what it was supposed to do; it only fixed a few things, and didn't do proper cleaning of ghost entries. For some users, it actually created more problems than it solved. MS RegClean should NEVER be used on a Windows XP or other NT-based system, as the registry has since undergone significant changes.

For a modern system, try theBlackman's suggestion, or RegScrubXP. I think they're both freeware (and they both get the nod from Fred Langa, tech guru, so that can only be good). For a commercial option, I'd vouch for jv16 PowerTools or Registry Mechanic. Google for links.

(...)but, as I'm not very technical(...)

Then be very careful with a registry-cleaning program! Create a System Restore point before you begin, and use the program's own backup feature before you allow any automatic cleaning. Before you restart the computer after your first clean, it's a good idea to copy those backed-up or "Undo" files to an offline location; CD, floppy disk, etc. A screw-up in the registry could mean that Windows won't restart properly. But that's a worst-case scenario.

AncientCrone
16th Nov 2006, 11:41
Many thanks theBlackman and cradle_curdled for your help and advice.