PDA

View Full Version : Rumor? Playing as Amanda? Urban 'Legend'?

Astara
14th Nov 2006, 20:50
In reading in various places (don't remember where), I thought I remember someone saying something about being able to replay the game as Amanda.

Is this just an Urban "Legend", or is it a TR Legend feature?

Is it the same game, but with a different main avatar? Seems it could be confusing in battles w/Amanda -- do they become battles w/Lara? :-? ?

The game definitely ends with a "to be continued flavor". What is involved in the manufacturers creating a new game? A story line? Someone(s) creating multiple levels? That it?

Would be nice to see option to use multiple cores for dual core or quad core machines. I have a dual core now, but only at a lower GHz. It's noticable -- the game freezes for .05-.1 seconds (or more) at a time. It's noticably a bit smoother with some graphics options turned off, but a kick-butt nvidia graphics card, gigs of memory and core 2 duo's at too low a clock speed can't run game _smoothly_ at full speed.

Unlikely to be disk -- 15K RPM SAS drive should be fast enough (fully defraged). Too bad it can't make use of multi cores to take up the slack for a slower clock.

I don't know how these games are coded exactly -- but supposing there are multiple "sprites", 1 for each moving part, all enqueued onto a work queue that gets dispatched mostly round-robin. If they dispatcher would just feel free to use multiple cores, it seems the game could fairly easily use multiple cores...or is this an oversimplification?

I wonder if EIDOS or Crystal would be open to letting a 3rd party redesign/optimize their game engine to automatically use multiple cores if available.

Sorin
14th Nov 2006, 20:54
Playing as Amanda in what way? As in, you replay the whole game from her perspective? No. But there are two Amanda "outfits" you can unlock, where Lara is replaced by Amanda. Though the voice is still Lara's. The character is fully Amanda in looks, but it's still technically just an "outfit" and the game proceeds as it does when you wear any other outfit.

Treeble
14th Nov 2006, 21:06
Seems it could be confusing in battles w/Amanda -- do they become battles w/Lara? :-? ?

It's just a complete reskin, nothing else changes. :)

You might be curious to see this screenshot here: AMANDA VS AMANDA (http://croftstorm.net/screenview.php?id=43) :)

Joshorty
17th Nov 2006, 22:34
Hehe talk about split personality:D An id ego and a super ego:D just learned that today in my socialogy class.

Astara
22nd Nov 2006, 02:13
there are two Amanda "outfits" you can unlock, where Lara is replaced by Amanda. Though the voice is still Lara's. The character is fully Amanda in looks, but it's still technically just an "outfit" and the game proceeds as it does when you wear any other outfit.

Ahh..that clarifies some...I may never see them at the rate I play, but nice to know. The time-trial mode seemed ridiculously short from my perspective (first time player). Have gotten all "rewards" and am at 99%, but I'm not even close to 12 minutes on level 1. Laughable, even! My first play through the level was around 9 hours, though did it a 2nd time in 1.5 (but this was just working on going through).

It doesn't seem to matter if you complete the game in "Easy", "Medium" or "Hard" mode from what I can tell -- I mean as far as scoring and unlocking extras.

In the Time Trial Mode, does anyone know if that's equivalent to one of the difficulty levels (easy,med., hard) in terms of difficulty? So far I've *DEFINITELY* noticed the extra damage taken in battles, and slightly noticed a shortening of the "hang" time on an unstable grab. Are their any other values affected other than damage taken from opponents and the time-to-handgrab before slipping?

At "easy" level, not too many gun battles bothered me, but in "hard", I'm hurtin' in Peru! Have taken out the mobile-automatic gunner, but am getting killed by other gunners or grenades before I can duck for cover.

Thanks for the info! (so much I don't know)...
A*a

Sorin
22nd Nov 2006, 03:38
On hard, I think Lara does less damage to the opponents per shot too.

For the difficulty of the time trials, I'd say it's closest to medium. If not medium, then a tad easier. Remember though that for the time trial you don't have to kill everything. If killing something isn't required to advance to the next area, don't bother, just run by. But remember that for the motorcycle parts, you have to kill all the bad guys asap, because advancing is dependent on all of them being dead - i.e. you can't just wait it out. It also helps to play each level more than once before you attempt the time trial, that way you know exactly what to do and how to do it once you try for real.

ditom
23rd Nov 2006, 15:03
I can't pass time trial in Kazahstan and in England !!!:mad2: :mad2: