PDA

View Full Version : Can't play saved games

Astara
14th Nov 2006, 18:34
I just completed the various levels and wanted to go back to find the various "prize" odds n' ends I left behind. I can't load from any save points -- when I do, it takes me to the main menu and has option "Resume...", but when I select it, it says to choose a level. Choosing a level restarts play at the beginning of the level -- no relation to any saved point.

How do I restart games from saved points?

This is very frustrating to be locked out of all my save points...

thanks,
A*a

RuumTaedor
14th Nov 2006, 19:44
Hi Astara.

During gameplay, you pass checkpoints. If memory serves me correctly, the only thing that uses the checkpoints is the Resume option. You are not "locked out" of checkpoints, you have to actually save your game during gameplay to be able to go back and load from a past checkpoint.

If you've completed Legend, you are then asked to select a level to replay it from the start to give you the opportunity to pick up missed awards or complete time trials. It may seem odd, but here's something you can try. You must have picked up the first couple of bronze awards at the beginning of Bolivia. If you replay Bolivia from the Resume option, those awards should be already picked up (by you). As far as I know, you cannot jump to the middle of a level to replay it. Even if you had a save game from the middle of Bolivia, for example, it wouldn't give you what you want because loading it would take you "back in time", that is, to the point at the beginning of the game where you had not completed any levels after that point in time.

If you are on Windows, I would recommend saving your game now and backing up the save games folder (I forget the exact name) so you can restore it if something goes wrong.

I hope that helps.

PS A*A...cute

Astara
14th Nov 2006, 20:36
The checkpoints no longer work either -- that is my main problem.

I want to replay a level, but it's hard to do that in one sitting.

I'd like to be able to start a level, then continue where I left off next time I enter the game, but it no longer allows me to continue where I left off -- I only get the option to continue play from the beginning of any given level.

If I understand you correctly, the saved games are only good until you've hit 'complete', then you can't restore to any of those previous settings -- I'd hoped it would have used the save points as places to restore me to when I started -- even if it put me back in time, it would give me a chance to pick up missed treasures. Most of them are ones I picked up, but forgot to re-pick back up after a death.

When I restart any of the levels -- yes, you are right, the previously found items are no longer present, so I just need to find the previously missed (or "dropped") items.

In some of the levels -- especially the 2nd long motorcycle ride, it took over an hour or two of game play to get through that section -- so boring! I wanted to kill that voice on the radio "Hurry Lara, or you are going to miss the train -- hurry lara, you must go faster...oh you just screwed up, amanda will get their first, for sure..." (well, in a way, she does -- she is waiting at the final scene/final level w/Rutland for me).

I'd really like to avoid those stupid motorcycle rides -- they wouldn't be so bad if they were more realistic, but the steering on them is seriously screwed up. Using the mouse for steering would have been much more realistic, but I guess forcing people to use a 4-button keyboard control is best the game designers could do... ;^/

Seems like now that I've "completed (99%)" the game acts broken...:-(

RuumTaedor
14th Nov 2006, 21:16
Just a quick note about the motorcycle ride. I think it ends when you kill a certain number of baddies, so if you don't kill anyone, it goes on forever.

As for saves, that's not exactly what I meant. While you are playing, you CAN save, but you have to go to the menus (forget exactly which ones) to save at that checkpoint if you want to load from that point. In other words, if you haven't saved at all while playing, you can only replay from the beginning of a level.

aussie500
14th Nov 2006, 22:38
Once the game is completed, you can no longer save your game at a particular position unfortunately, hopefully Crystal Dynamics will fix this in future games. If you are just looking for a missed reward you can just play the level till you get the reward, press save rewards making sure to save on the completed game and exit the level, you do not need to complete the level. There are no rewards in any of the motorbike sections, so just keep your finger on the speed button and kill them all as quickly as possible it will only take about 5 minutes at the most. If you have completed the Bolivia redux time trial you could use the one shot kill cheat to kill them faster if you are having trouble getting through the motorbike sections. Steering is much easier with a gamepad

Astara
16th Nov 2006, 23:14
It's not a problem of not having save-points -- I ran into the limit at the end of England (saving after every checkpoint in case I ran into a game bug, as suggested in Stella's WT). It's just that I "completed" the game, and I can't save anymore -- I'd like to be able to go through a level and save & come back to it, to continue looking for missed rewards.

I have difficulty playing through a level non-stop -- the game took almost 7 hours/level to play through -- and that is not counting the # of times the game crashed or I tried to quit and it died with a segmentation violation. I'm not sure it counts all the times I died, either -- maybe I blurred those times with the game crashes.

It seems to not advance the timer if you just happen to leave it in the game and you meant to pause, but you don't -- as though it only times if you are actually playing -- but that begs the question, how does it define playing? Some # of seconds w/no keypress? If the timeout is sufficiently low, there could be lots of game play that wasn't charged against the timer -- or not. :-) Just depends on the timing algorithm.

It sounds like I'm running into a known bug -- you can't save & restore once you hit the completion point. Does anyone know how to turn off the completion flag?

Astara
16th Nov 2006, 23:23
Hi Astara.
Even if you had a save game from the middle of Bolivia, for example, it wouldn't give you what you want because loading it would take you "back in time", that is, to the point at the beginning of the game where you had not completed any levels after that point in time.

Why would it do that? If you have saved in, say, "England", then you want to go back to "Bolivia", you can restore in "Bolivia", retrieve the extra rewards, the restore the "England" game -- it seems that "rewards" are saved independently from the "save-game" file.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but it seems the save game files only save your equipment & position, but I don't think you lose all the "bonuses & extras" that have been enabled. ???

If you are on Windows, I would recommend saving your game now and backing up the save games folder (I forget the exact name) so you can restore it if something goes wrong.

Yup -- that seems to be the next step -- or find where the "complete" status is so I can switch it off (which might "undo" my last fight with Amanda-Unknown Entity, but I can live with that, she wasn't that hard to beat once I got down the technique).

PS A*A...cute
Thanks, I wondered if anyone caught that....:-)

A*a

RuumTaedor
17th Nov 2006, 03:22
It sounds like I'm running into a known bug -- you can't save & restore once you hit the completion point. Does anyone know how to turn off the completion flag?
It's not a bug, Legend was designed that way. You could always start a new game if you wish, but as aussie said, once completed, you can only restart levels from the beginning, but once you retrieve a missed reward, you can then save rewards and exit the level.

As for save games, its been a while since I tried to load a previous save game, but I pretty sure it works that way. Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks, I wondered if anyone caught that....:-)
A*a
Yes I did. And may I inquire if you caught my own little "cleverism"? (its fun making up words :p)

rrjeep
17th Nov 2006, 13:42
I'm not sure if everyone else is referring to the same problem that I have. I Would like to be able to Save Game before taking a great risk to be able to reload that point if my risk is not sucessful. When I click on Save Game and follow the prompts I get a "Save is Sucessfull" message. Yet when I try to load that Save, the game retrieves the last Checkpoint Save, not the point where I saved the game. :nut:

RuumTaedor
17th Nov 2006, 14:55
Hi rrjeep. You are correct in that when you save, the game is saved from the last checkpoint, not exactly where you are.