PDA

View Full Version : need help constructing FM using a piece of an OM

the taffer
13th Nov 2006, 04:20
I need an easier way to delete most of an OM to use part it in my FM. Any ideas? I do not want to click and delete for an hour or longer.

R_Soul
13th Nov 2006, 18:47
You could try making a mulibrush of what you want to use.
Creating an Area Brush around the relevant section, making sure it's high enough, then select "Mulibrush-me".
It's not a perfect process. You'll almost certainly get brushes you don't want and not get brushes you do want.
To add/remove a brush, just hold down Shift and left-click on the brush.
DO NOT SELECT TORCHES OR ANY OBJECT THAT HAS PARTICLES ATTACHED* If in doubt over an object, don't select it.
When you've got everything selected, go to the multibrush menu and go to Save group. It doesn't matter where the file is saved.

*There's a bug that occurs with particle-attached objects that can cause all objects in the mission to be duplicated.

the taffer
13th Nov 2006, 22:50
thats a very nice way but your right its not perfect. I tried it and I did not get some important brushes I needed. I do not care about the brushes I get that I do not need. I can always delete those later on. I tried doing a reverse, use the area brush to create a multibrush then delete the parts that I did not need but my computer froze up. I tried even deleting the multi's in small amounts and it still froze up. I think the quickest way would be do what you said and try to get all the brushes added that I need. Also when i use the mutlibrush and save it and load it up all i see is jorge for textures

R_Soul
13th Nov 2006, 23:10
Multibrushes only store the number of the texture in the palette*, not someting useful like the family name and texture name.

The only way to avoid having to redo all the textures is to ensure that the multibrush is loaded into a level that has an identical texture palette (same textures in the same order).

If the mission currently has no textures then this should be possible, and not too hard, but not quick or fun either.

Don't forget to snap the brushes to a reasonable grid size (using the hilight_ ... commands)

*Alt-T

the taffer
13th Nov 2006, 23:14
ok thanks, im going to try to figure another way out because the area brush is really pissing me off right now. I try to add a brush and it goes to a completely different set of brushes that what I just had.

the taffer
14th Nov 2006, 02:40
im just clicking and deleting, its the easiest but most tedious way. I wont have to change anything about the part I want to use. Im 1/4 of the way through of deleting what i want and its taken me i think about 20 minutes.

Telliamed_
15th Nov 2006, 00:20
DO NOT SELECT TORCHES OR ANY OBJECT THAT HAS PARTICLES ATTACHED*
*There's a bug that occurs with particle-attached objects that can cause all objects in the mission to be duplicated.

Nothing wrong with having particleattach links in a multibrush. It's duplicating when you get into trouble. The reason is simple: When you create an object with a particleattach link, the attached objects are automatically created and linked with the new object--a convenient shortcut for aggregate objects. But this happens even when the object is in a multibrush. So each object in the VBR gets duplicated, including the torch and its SFX. But when the duplicate torch is made, a new SFX is made (from the archetype). Thus, two SFX objects.

If you're just deleting/moving/filtering, you don't have to worry about anything.

the taffer
15th Nov 2006, 00:52
yeah, I found clicking and deleting the easiest but the longest way. Took me a little over an hour to delete all the junk I did not want. The plus side of it was that I did not have to add textures or make sure I have everything.

R_Soul
15th Nov 2006, 11:48
Nothing wrong with having particleattach links in a multibrush. It's duplicating when you get into trouble.Oh right. Thanks for the correction.

the taffer: IF YOU PLAN TO DUPLICATE THE MULTIBR- well you get the idea :D

the taffer
16th Nov 2006, 00:21
Don't forget to snap the brushes to a reasonable grid size (using the hilight_ ... commands)

Could you explain this real quick? I just multibrushed somethings and moved them. Some brushes were off by a little bit and I would like the multibrush snapped to a grid

R_Soul
16th Nov 2006, 18:22
Just search this forum for snap multibrush to grid

bennys taffer boy
22nd Nov 2006, 03:31
so u ever figure out a faster way to do this? or did you have to go work some stress off after =P (lol finally got my silly account to registure, dont know why it didnt like my comcast e-mail)

R_Soul
22nd Nov 2006, 10:16
so u ever figure out a faster way to do this?Since 11 days ago? No.

bennys taffer boy
23rd Nov 2006, 04:23
bumber, i wonder if it could be a lack of enough virtural memory to select and delete them all at once.