PDA

View Full Version : Pagans or Hammerites? Which to choose?

AncientCrone
6th Nov 2006, 16:41
Hi,
I'm new the Stealth games, and still not far in to TDS.

I'm making my first visit to the docks. I've got the sapling; I've killed a couple of 'undead' so my standing with the Hammerites is neutral (still hostile from the Pagans - but that'll change once I go to their part of my current mission/s).

My question is:- burn or plant the sapling? Is there any advantage to being allied with one group over the other? If I please one group (sapling-wise) will it annoy the other group - thereby making it best to do nothing with the sapling?
My position is:- I think both groups are complete nutters and don't particularly want to side with either (unless it benefits me (or rather Garrett). But, neither do I want even more people out there trying to kill me everytime I set foot outside my room.

Opinions/advice please. Don't want to go 2 hours further into the game (that'd be 20 hours actual playing it) and find I'd made a fatal error so early on. Thanks in anticipation.....

cradle_curdled
7th Nov 2006, 11:17
You'll discover, as you play more, that there's no real "fatal errors" with the faction system. You can always bump one up and bump the other down at any point in the game.

Who you'll want to ally yourself with depends on your personal preference, or your playing style. If you find sneaking past faction members too bothersome, there's no harm in allying yourself to both. If you think Garrett should remain "friendless", and able to nab loot from both factions without consequence, ally yourself to neither. There's no critical advantages/disadvantages in one over the other.

Later on in the game, there are districts that are either full of Pagans, or full of Hammerites, so your alignment will play a bigger role, then. The sapling is just a tool to give you an instant faction boost one way or the other, so you may want to hold onto it, for the moment.

AncientCrone
7th Nov 2006, 11:40
You'll discover, as you play more, that there's no real "fatal errors" with the faction system........................ sapling is just a tool to give you an instant faction boost one way or the other, so you may want to hold onto it, for the moment.

GREAT! Many thanks. (Think I prefer to be neutral whenever possible. I'll hang onto the sapling for use later if needed as you advise.) Thanks again.

cradle_curdled
7th Nov 2006, 23:28
No problem; enjoy the game. Just hope I didn't give too much away.

(...and if you hadn't quoted me, I'd have fixed my appalling grammar.) :D

Headache
8th Nov 2006, 01:33
(Think I prefer to be neutral whenever possible. I'll hang onto the sapling for use later if needed as you advise.)
Excuse my stupidity if this is known to you, but if you remain neutral and either faction finds you in their territory, they will attack you. But if you're on the street and they see ya, no problem there.

AncientCrone
8th Nov 2006, 12:28
Excuse my stupidity if this is known to you, but if you remain neutral and either faction finds you in their territory, they will attack you. But if you're on the street and they see ya, no problem there.

No, it's me being dim: I misused the word 'neutral' - should have said balanced, or equally allied etc.. In other words I will aim to keep unnecessary enemies off my back whilst not completely allying with one side against the other (i.e. serve my own interests). Thanks for the post.