PDA

View Full Version : Thief-TDP Not Running on XP .. Read FAQ's, Tried Fixes.... help?

Nazgaull
4th Nov 2006, 18:30
Ok, to start this out, let me state that I have come here several times before looking for answers to my problems with Thief TDP.

I'v run Searches, I've read every Thread I could find, I have read the FAQ's, I have gone to TTLG Forums and read the FAQ's there, (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031) as directed to do so in many other threads of similar nature.

I had the problem described here: Clickie (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory)

I have implemented the Fixes described there.

Now I can run the game in Software Mode.

But I can not run the game in Hardware Mode.

Everytime I attempt to do so, I get a white popup error box that says:

"Thief.exe has encountered an error and needs to close."

Then provides a brief excuse (typical Microsoft excuses) for why this may have happened, then asks if I want to send an "Error Report" to Microsoft, or not... and provides a Link to another Window for more details on the Error.

I can open the details on the Error, it gives me a bunch of stuff that I don't understand, it claims the information is stored in my Temp Folder under Local Settings... I know its there, but everytime the Application (game) is closed after this error, the files with that information suddenly vanish, I'v watched them do so as I'v had that folder open in the background.

I can not tab into that Folder to copy the files while the Error is up, because it just opens the Folder into the background behind the Game and I can't minimize the Game while the Error is up.

So.

This is obviously a Hardware related issue. So you're now asking, what are my Hardware Specs?

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
Athlon64 3200+
Corsair "ValueSelect" 1GB PC3200 "VS1GBKIT400" DDR
XFX Geforce 7600 GT x2 in SLI Mode
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
Windows XP Pro w/SP2
DirectX 9.0c

Keep in mind, come the end of the day Monday, this system will be upgraded to an Athlon64 4000+ running 2gigs of Corsair TWINX1024-3500LLPRO.

Also, about those Video Cards, and SLI Mode.... I keep all the nVidia Drivers downloaded and backed up on my external Back Up drive, have an archive of them going back 3 years. I'v tried bumping back through several different versions of the Drivers, and I have tried disabling SLI Mode, I have tried with only one Vid Card installed, I have even tried with a completely different Vid Card installed, a 6600GT.

No matter what I do.

I can not get it to run in Hardware Mode. This is also with a Fresh Reinstallation of Windows.

My Motherboard and CPU are running at a nice cool temp of around 35 degree's celsius under load... and the GPU's are running at around 35 - 40.

So what other Information do I need to provide so some of you guys can assist me with Trouble Shooting this?

Peter_Smith
5th Nov 2006, 01:09
My best guess is that the game does something that is not supported by your SLI hardware. If it were me, I would remove one of two video cards, plus make any necessary changes to the bios so it needs only one card, and see if that works. If not, then, keeping the second vidio card out, I would revert to Nvidia drivers 8xxx or before. I hear that there are problems with getting Nvidias current drivers to run.

Let us know if that works.

As an aside, I am curious to know what is the advantage of two 7600's in SLI vs. spending twice as much to get a single higher performing card? That (one good card) is certainly the approach I would take, in view of uncertainties. As I read on the internet, SLI is not foolproof.

theBlackman
5th Nov 2006, 07:20
Just a question. If the "file" is open, then it cannot be used to write into.

Open that Error file only AFTER the error is reported.

It can be read with notepad, but only after you close the game and then go to My Computer, and the Local settings. There are three. One for the system itself, one for guest user, and one for your name.

Nazgaull
6th Nov 2006, 14:15
My best guess is that the game does something that is not supported by your SLI hardware. If it were me, I would remove one of two video cards, plus make any necessary changes to the bios so it needs only one card, and see if that works. If not, then, keeping the second vidio card out, I would revert to Nvidia drivers 8xxx or before. I hear that there are problems with getting Nvidias current drivers to run.

Already done all that, which was explained in previous post....

As an aside, I am curious to know what is the advantage of two 7600's in SLI vs. spending twice as much to get a single higher performing card? That (one good card) is certainly the approach I would take, in view of uncertainties. As I read on the internet, SLI is not foolproof.

The advantage is, when the 7600's are on sale for $75 apiece plus an addtional $10 Mail in Rebate.... so $65 total, times two... $130. Compared to a single 7900 at what.. $200 - $300... some even higer?

I went the direction my wallet pointed me to go ;)

Just a question. If the "file" is open, then it cannot be used to write into.

Open that Error file only AFTER the error is reported.

It can be read with notepad, but only after you close the game and then go to My Computer, and the Local settings. There are three. One for the system itself, one for guest user, and one for your name.

You're refering to the error file? It does not exist after the game has closed.

But, here... I just tried to run the game again to get the Error Message so I'll just type out what I can.

Error Signiture
AppName: thief.exe AppVer: 1.9.0.0 ModName: thief.exe
ModVer: 1.9.0.0 Offset 001781ec

Thats how it starts, then at the bottom is a link for "to view technical information about this error report click here" ... so I click there and get the following:

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Rcecord: 0x0000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000005781ec

Next follows a section labeled "Sytem Information" ...then after that a section called "Module 1" with more numbers related to things labeled as Image Base, Image Size, Checksum, Time Stamp

Then there are a bunch of more sections just like that one, Module 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on, until it gets down to Module 59.

After Module 59, it starts up with "Thread 1" which lists a bunch of number for things like, EDI, ESI, EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX, EIP, EBP, SegSs, Stack.

When it gets to Stack, nothing but numbers, probably dozens and dozens of pages of numbers that all look like 8 digit hex code, or some such.

After the application closes, I go into my Local Settings folder, go into my Temp folder in there, and the file associated with the error is gone. Nor is it listed in any other folder as I'v written down its name and tried to run a search on it.

theBlackman
6th Nov 2006, 18:47
Those Temp files are hard to find but they are there. Try each of the local setting directories. To find them you need to MY COMPUTER>C DRIVE>USER NAME>LOCAL SETTINGS etc. There will be one USER ADMINISTRATOR, ALL USERS, AND YOUR NAME.

Also try START>CONTROLPANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS.

In the TOOLS, locate and look at EVENT VIEWER. In APPLICATIONS or SYSTEM, you will see red flags. Click on these (at the time and date of the failure) and you will get more information on what the problem is.

Nazgaull
7th Nov 2006, 01:08
Ok, dont know why I didn't think of the Event Viewer before...

Got the following from it, and this is all it had listed related to the problem. I had the option of viewing the text as either Bytes, or Words... the following is the Bytes version, and then a copy of the Words version.

The error does not occur when I attempt to play in Software mode, which is fine I could play the game that way but the graphics are all grainy, annoying... and not very fun to play through ;) If I can get Hardware mode to work, smooth out the textures and all... then awesome!

Now, on to the text from the Event Viewer!

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/6/2006
Time: 8:58:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BLACKSPARROW
Description:
Faulting application thief.exe, version 1.9.0.0, faulting module thief.exe, version 1.9.0.0, fault address 0x001781ec.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 74 68 69 ure thi
0018: 65 66 2e 65 78 65 20 31 ef.exe 1
0020: 2e 39 2e 30 2e 30 20 69 .9.0.0 i
0028: 6e 20 74 68 69 65 66 2e n thief.
0030: 65 78 65 20 31 2e 39 2e exe 1.9.
0038: 30 2e 30 20 61 74 20 6f 0.0 at o
0040: 66 66 73 65 74 20 30 30 ffset 00
0048: 31 37 38 31 65 63 0d 0a 1781ec..

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 11/6/2006
Time: 8:58:35 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BLACKSPARROW
Description:
Faulting application thief.exe, version 1.9.0.0, faulting module thief.exe, version 1.9.0.0, fault address 0x001781ec.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146
0010: 20657275 69687420 652e6665 31206578
0020: 302e392e 6920302e 6874206e 2e666569
0030: 20657865 2e392e31 20302e30 6f207461
0040: 65736666 30302074 31383731 0a0d6365

Looking again through my "Local Settings", still no sign of the original Error File that is generated when trying to play the game, and I only have 1 Local Settings at this time, remember this is a fresh installation of XP Pro. The Local Settings is under User folder of my own name. Inside this Local Settings folder is; Application Data, Temp, History, Temporary Internet Files.

The missing error report is not in either of them, and it continues to poof from existence before my very eyes, when Thief.exe closes after the initial crash, which to recap, occurs only when I am attempting to enter the actual Mission while in Hardware Mode. I can go through the main Game Menu, I can set up my Options, select my difficulty settings, and go into the "store" to purchase my Thievery supplies (ie: more arrows, potions, etc) and then try to enter the Mission, at which point this error occurs, and the game closes.

theBlackman
7th Nov 2006, 04:22
I would try to find a way to disable one of the cards and run the game on a single card.

You can specify this as a constant in the Device manager settings. You can have the system setup a particular equipment list for various applications.

This might be a way out.

You could also try setting the THIEF as Win2000, or W98 in the compatibility settings.

Open the THIEF folder, find the EXE and right click. Properties, Compatibility.

See if that works.

Nazgaull
10th Nov 2006, 06:06
Yes. I'v tried several different Video Cards... I have 3 that I can try, which I've stated before ;)

I didn't think about trying the Compatibility Mode though... so I tried that idea, and this time I got a different reaction.

First I tried Compatibility Mode set as Win2000, and got the same result. Then I tried it set as Win98.

This time, instead of generating an Error Message, it just goes to a blank, black screen and locks the game up. I can Alt Tab out, or use CTRL ALT DEL, to close the program.. and thats about it.

I read another thread in here somewhere that discribed a similar issue, going through the whole game menu process, and such, and then ending up with a completely frozen black screen after trying to enter the game world. Unforunately the original poster never bothered to post back to say whether or not they ever fixed it.... basically, the same issue here Clickie (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75031#texturememory) ... which I'v actually already implemented the fix for, due to the "Texture Memory Usage" error also described in that same FAQ.

I may try to revert back to the original .EXE and see if I can run the game in Win98 compatibility mode that way, by launching from that file, instead of the "fixed" EXE provided in that FAQ...

Unless any other suggestions?

theBlackman
10th Nov 2006, 07:38
This does not address SLI dual cards, but may have something you haven't tried.

The AMD 64 is Dualcore, I seem to recall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The way of what I did is...
Before I start the game, I click Ctrl+Alt+Del, goto "Processes"...
Then double click on Thief3.exe, before the game load, quickly right click on
T3.exe shown in the Processes list, click "Affinity" and you'll see CPU0 and CPU1 were ticked, quickly un-tick the CPU1 checkbox and click "OK"... If you're fast, then you'll see a T3Main.exe will shown in a short, quickly do the same thing on it (right click T3Main.exe, click "Affinity" and un-tick the CPU1 checkbox, click "ok")... Again, if you fast enough, the game will just start to load up in a second. Now we can start and play Thief normally even with a dual core processor ~~

Nazgaull
11th Nov 2006, 05:52
You are correct in regards to the AMD, to an extent. Its a little confusing. ;)

The AMD Athlon64 Series, is a Single Core chip.

The AMD Athlon64 X2 Series, is the Dual Core version.

I am, at present running an Athlon64 4000, which is a Single Core at about 2.4ghz.