PDA

View Full Version : Very Hard Difficulty? -Please Help

Marshall Thomas
3rd Nov 2006, 19:27
Is there anything I can do to make Imperial Glory more difficult? A self imposed rule or restriction which makes it harder to win? A mod? Imperial Glory is one of my all-time favorite games, but I can now always win on hard difficulty. I don't want to stop playing IG, but I've got to change something to make it a challege. Can anyone offer some suggestions? Thanks in advance

WallysWorld
4th Nov 2006, 02:58
One self-imposed rule I use is not to click on enemy leaders or ships. That way I don't know whether the land force is a large or small force. I judge the enemy force by the type of leader present. A captain is a smaller force while a general or a marshal tends to be a larger force but not necessarily.To me, this simulates the lack of good military intelligence about enemy forces. In other words, I can see that the enemy has forces in a region, but do not know exactly what units or how many troops make up the enemy force.

Another rule I force myself to use is that I cannot repair ships at sea, meaning I manually move my damaged ships into harbour one turn and repair them on the NEXT turn and then move them out of the harbour on the NEXT turn after the repair is done. This way, my damaged ships take three full months (turns) to repair if in home waters instead of being able to repair them at sea even in home waters.

One last rule that I use is that I only negotiate commercial treaties twice a year (January and July) and only can try to negotiate twice during that month. Meaning I must make the deal within two tries or else I wait for six months before trying another commercial treaty through diplomacy. This forces me to offer better terms instead of trying over and over again to make a deal. Makes me think hard about what I have to offer and to gain.

These rules may sound silly, but to me it makes Imperial Glory harder to play and more thinking and planning is involved.

Marshall Thomas
4th Nov 2006, 08:46
Thanks very much for your response. I really like your self imposed rules. Your rule prohibiting inspection of enemy officer's armies could really result in some interesting and unpredictable battle situations. I always thought that it was too easy for a player to initiate offensives with certainy of victory. Victory is too often pre-determined on the strategy map.

Restricting commercial treaties is also a good idea which did not occur to me. Because you're limited to only a few per year, you must be much more selective in your diplomatic efforts. This makes your sympathy among other nations more important. Since you can only attempt a few commercial treaties, you will be more likely to make attempts only to nations which have high sympathy towards you.

Right now, I'm attempting to install the BattleMods version-1.2 mod. I've never used any mods before- only the one patch. This mod is suppose to make the AI competive throughout the campaign with resourse bonuses. It also increases the number of soilders, calvary, and cannons in a regiment. I really hope it makes IG more challeging. I love Imperial Glory and I don't mine winning, but hard difficulty is simply too easy- even if I'm Prussia. Thanks again for your ideas. Please let me know if you think of any other rules which increase difficulty.

WallysWorld
4th Nov 2006, 17:10
Thanks very much for your response. I really like your self imposed rules. Your rule prohibiting inspection of enemy officer's armies could really result in some interesting and unpredictable battle situations. I always thought that it was too easy for a player to initiate offensives with certainy of victory. Victory is too often pre-determined on the strategy map.

That was my goal with this rule, to prevent easy victories by knowing the enemy force's composition.

Restricting commercial treaties is also a good idea which did not occur to me. Because you're limited to only a few per year, you must be much more selective in your diplomatic efforts. This makes your sympathy among other nations more important. Since you can only attempt a few commercial treaties, you will be more likely to make attempts only to nations which have high sympathy towards you.

Exactly! You have to self-discipline yourself to only making two attempts each January and July. But when you do make a successful commercial treaty, the satisification level goes up more than trying twenty times before reaching a trade agreement.

Right now, I'm attempting to install the BattleMods version-1.2 mod. I've never used any mods before- only the one patch. Thanks again for your ideas. Please let me know if you think of any other rules which increase difficulty.

I also use BattleMod and wouldn't play IG without it. And you're very welcome.

Another self-imposed rule I use is also to have a maximum of three naval ships in a single sea region at a time. Never more than that! Otherwise you'll always be able to outnumber the enemy. If the enemy has three ships in a region, don't send in more than three ships to battle him. That does mean no more than six ships in a single sea battle, but it makes it more interesting this way with more even odds. What is the fun of beating the enemy if you outnumber him five ships to three?