PDA

View Full Version : Thief 3 on Xbox - crash at Stonemarket portal

AncientCrone
3rd Nov 2006, 17:24
Hi, Just started this game and am hooked. But after only a few hours play, the thing has frozen on me. I can't find any relevant Xbox crash/freeze threads in this forum. Can anyone help.

I don't think it's a story-related issue preventing me from leaving - the game just freezes the moment I click "Yes" I want to return to Stonemarket Plaza. But JUST IN CASE, here's where I am:-

Sold Rutherford Gem to fence and got note about meeting. Looted a couple of places (in one got Golden Dagger and left in box outside Church as I'd overheard the fake Garrett was going to do). There's a whole load of murders going on around me! (I think it may be the female partner of the guy I pick-pocketed the Church Map from))

It's so frustrating to have hardly started the game and already I can't progress. Hope someone can help.

Can't think of anything else

AncientCrone
4th Nov 2006, 13:39
IN CASE ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PROBLEM - IT'S BEEN SOLVED BY ......
I went back a few saves and replayed the last 45 minutes, and it the 'portal' worked fine. So I think I jumped the gun a bit by posting. I think there was something wrong with the save. I do save over other saves - perhaps I'd be better by always making a new save, and deleting the older ones.

(You can tell I'm new at this can't you?)

Peter_Smith
4th Nov 2006, 17:27
Glad you got it solved.

I don't think there should be anything technically wrong with overwriting a save. It is just a disk file, subject to minimal errors of your hardware, if any. Bits do not generally get worn out.

There are two problems with overwriting saves, software and game related. One is that the software (TDS) combined with circumstances at hand, can occasioually corrupt a save (as you found out). For that reason, you need a previous save to fall back on. The second problem is that if you do not save frequently enough in distinctly different files, you may have to go back a long way. So, I try to use a respectable but not inconvenient interval between saved (or slot) saves, say 15 - 30 minutes, depending on what I am doing, and I can overwrite quick saves in between, if so inclined. If a quick save gets corrupted (very seldom happens), I lose 15-30 minutes. It is a good idea to make a save before trying anything difficult.

AncientCrone
6th Nov 2006, 13:10
Glad you got it solved.

I don't think there should be anything technically wrong with overwriting a save. It is just a disk file, subject to minimal errors of your hardware, if any. Bits do not generally get worn out.

There are two problems with overwriting saves, software and game related. One is that the software (TDS) combined with circumstances at hand, can occasioually corrupt a save (as you found out). For that reason, you need a previous save to fall back on. The second problem is that if you do not save frequently enough in distinctly different files, you may have to go back a long way. So, I try to use a respectable but not inconvenient interval between saved (or slot) saves, say 15 - 30 minutes, depending on what I am doing, and I can overwrite quick saves in between, if so inclined. If a quick save gets corrupted (very seldom happens), I lose 15-30 minutes. It is a good idea to make a save before trying anything difficult.

EXCELLENT ADVICE - I'll do exactly as you suggest (which will save me a good amount of deleting time when I've saved every 2 or 3 minutes during a tough mission!!!). Many thanks.