PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Stuttering Problem PC

Vaski
1st Nov 2006, 19:03
Hello people! any help or advice will be kindly appreciated!

I recently purchased the Just Cause game on PC. I would like to say that its very impressive. one problem is that i have a permanent stuttering problem from when the game first loads, from the main menu, all the way to gameplay. I've downloaded the new drivers for my graphics card and ive tried setting the video settings to low! the game will run smoothly for maybe 2-3 seconds before stuttering giving me about a second to play every time it hooks. please help!

specs:
Pentium 4 2.66Ghz
512MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Direct X 9.0c

Thank you!:)

moosa12
1st Nov 2006, 21:37
Try reduce your sound settings.
Also you may want to consider upgrading your graphic card.
The FX series is actually worst than the Ti series.
All FX has is DirectX 9.0 support.
If you have some extra cash on hand, upgrade it to a
7800GS AGP.

PUN153R
1st Nov 2006, 21:45
well i get the same prob but was told some soundcards don't support the direct X 9.0c could this b the problem :confused:

Vaski
1st Nov 2006, 21:45
im not very computer literate in the graphics and sound sense! :)

how do i reduce my sound settings?

i think it may be this, because depending on the sound is how slow it goes!
i.e. if there is a big explosion and alot of noise! it will stutter more than usual!

Vaski
1st Nov 2006, 22:01
my direct X tool tells me i have " DirectX 9.0c "

moosa12
2nd Nov 2006, 01:20
what type of sound card do you have?

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 02:39
i see a " Realtek AC97 Audio " i dont know if thats what you're looking for?

Major_A
2nd Nov 2006, 03:20
Download the latest drivers.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
Download and install OpenAL.
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46&file=OpenALwEAX.exe

To reduce your sound settings do this...
Click Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Speaker Settings/Advanced->Performance->Hardware Acceleration
Slide the slider to the left one setting at a time. See if it gets any better. I wouldn't try this until you downloaded and installed those files up top to see if they worked.

moosa12
2nd Nov 2006, 03:59
i see a " Realtek AC97 Audio " i dont know if thats what you're looking for?

Actually yes, that's what I was looking for.
Thank you for the info.

Now as for the shuttering problem.
Try this. go to your game audio setup category.

You can access this without the need to fire up the game.
All you have to do is click start and navigate to "gamesetup"
link in your start menu.

start>Allprograms>Edios>Just Cause>Game Setup
Once you open up game setup, click on the audio tab.
Slide the "Dialogue and Effects" and see if that helps.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3092/voljx4.jpg

Maxx_Fire
2nd Nov 2006, 08:28
Surely this is just the volume settings though? How can this affect the sound stuttering?

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 10:52
thanx gentlemen! ill be sure to give this a try! will post back with details.

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 12:28
no luck! the game seems to run in slow motion now! after i exit the game the wallpaper on my desktop isnt shown (i see a grey background) and for about 2-3 seconds, my PC runs the same speed as the game! this might be a graphics problem! the intro credits run a bit faster! and the cut scenes dont stutter! but the gameplay is in slow motion and voices stutter heavily!

i feel im getting somewhere though! :)

moosa12
2nd Nov 2006, 16:52
Surely this is just the volume settings though? How can this affect the sound stuttering?

Each sound the game makes requires your audio or process it.
And if there are too much sound being processes at the same time
then certain sound cards won't be able to handle the load.

Major_A
2nd Nov 2006, 17:14
What are your video settings? If it is higher than 800X600 with low details then you are going too high for that video card.

My game also stutters when I exit. It's nothing to be alarmed about, it is just the game clearing itself from the RAM and cache.

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 20:24
Ive tried changing my video settings to all possible! Ive lost all my hope at ever playing this game properly on my PC! i guess its another frisbee! :) maybe i need more RAM or a better graphics card! i dunno! ill stick to console gaming i guess!

Major_A
2nd Nov 2006, 20:56
The FX 5200 is by no means a "gaming" card. Most people own one because their motherboard doesn't have onboard video. What are you ingame video settings?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/ssb2121/th_JCVS.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/ssb2121/JCVS.jpg)

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 22:30
Post effects: off
screen resolution: 640x480 (I've tried them all)
Texture Resolution: Low
Terrain Detail Quality: Low
Water Quality: Low
Scene Complexity: Low

I customized all the settings to look like that! otherwise when I first installed it, it looked precisely like your screenshot!

moosa12
2nd Nov 2006, 22:45
Post effects: off
screen resolution: 640x480 (I've tried them all)
Texture Resolution: Low
Terrain Detail Quality: Low
Water Quality: Low
Scene Complexity: Low

I customized all the settings to look like that! otherwise when I first installed it, it looked precisely like your screenshot!

That is just the menu, and it does not affect your gpu.
Serious you do need to upgrade your video card if you want to play this game.

Vaski
2nd Nov 2006, 22:49
how do i do that? buy a new one? I would rather buy this game on PS2! it will be cheaper! all my other PC games play fine! so i dont think its nescessary to upgrade my PC! i dont use it for gaming too often!

moosa12
3rd Nov 2006, 00:52
how do i do that? buy a new one? I would rather buy this game on PS2! it will be cheaper! all my other PC games play fine! so i dont think its nescessary to upgrade my PC! i dont use it for gaming too often!

What type of games are you comparing it to?

Vaski
3rd Nov 2006, 01:32
im not comparing it to any game! im just saying i prefer console games to PC games! because with a console the game is designed specifically for that system! Just Cause has the highest system requirements, by far, compared to any of my other PC games!

PC Game Collection - 7 (excluding Just Cause)
PS2 Game Collection - 47

I only baught Just Cause on PC because i couldn't find it on PS2 in the place that i stay! and they dont really cater for XBox users here iether!

Major_A
3rd Nov 2006, 05:59
That is just the menu, and it does not affect your gpu.
Serious you do need to upgrade your video card if you want to play this game.
Huh? Those are the settings the game is going to use when running.

To update your video card you will have to buy a new one. If you don't want to do that I'd trade it in and get it on PS2.

Vaski
3rd Nov 2006, 13:21
yes! i think I'll do that! thank you everybody for your help! it did help me to understand my PC alot better!:) i think ill just stick to doing what do with the PC! when i get a notebook ill think about turning my PC into a gaming system!