PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Anniversary press release dispatched - PC/Playstation gig only

MissLara2U
30th Oct 2006, 15:21
TOMB RAIDER ANNIVERSARY PRESS BLAST
Copyright 2006 Eidos plc Press Release

[ October 30th 2006 ]

Eidos Interactive Ltd., one of the world's leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, today confirms that the next Tomb Raider game will be entitled; Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary and is set for release on PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable (PSP) and PC in 2007.

Inspired by the first Tomb Raider videogame, originally released in 1996, LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: ANNIVERSARY is a totally new 2006 adventure for Lara, faithfully preserving the elements which made the original Tomb Raider such a classic, selling over 7 million copies worldwide.

Using an enhanced 'Tomb Raider Legend' game engine, the graphics, technology, physics and engine bring Lara's adventure and pursuit of a mystical artefact known only as the Scion right up to today's technology standards and will offer gamers a completely new gameplay experience.

"Over the years we have had literally thousands of requests to re-make the original Tomb Raider for today's gamer, we have gone a step further, we have taken the original story and made a completely new version for Tomb Raider: Anniversary." said Kathryn Clements, Senior Brand Manager, Eidos.

"We are re-telling an incredible story using today's technology, we've taken all of the key moments from the original game and put them into the context of a brand new Tomb Raider adventure which will make fans of the franchise extremely happy but also attract a completely new audience."

"We've captured the essence of what made the original game so special and with today's technology, created a game that pushes the boundaries of the current gaming consoles. Tomb Raider :Anniversary is a special celebration of Lara's reign as videogaming's leading lady" said Ian Livingstone, Eidos.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary is currently in development by Crystal Dynamics and will be available in 2007 on PlayStation 2, PSP and PC.

Alexlovesguns
30th Oct 2006, 18:14
That is quite sad for the xbox users...

..and with today's technology, created a game that pushes the boundaries of the current gaming consoles..

I thought the PS2 was yesterday's technology :scratch: .
Its being released in 2007 and it wont come out for the xbox, xbox360 and PS3?
I hope they make a good PC version (polished and optimised!), anything but a PS2 port... please!

GoranAgar
30th Oct 2006, 18:44
I thought the PS2 was yesterday's technology :scratch: .
And compared to modern PCs, the XBox is as well. :)

Raider0011
30th Oct 2006, 19:14
This is very disapointing news. I had REALLY been hoping that the Annioversary game would be released on the XBox 360, particularly since it would be on PC and Microsoft has worked so hard to make development as easy as possible. I've been a fan of the Tomb Raider Series since the beginning, and don't presently own a Playstation... I do not understand why Eidos feels that none of the Tomb Raider Fans don't have a PS2. Additionally, I do find the comment about optimizing the game for this generation of hardware comical, considering it isn't being published for any new hardware. The XBox 360 could have really done this game justice... It's a shame... :mad:

Zelda Master
30th Oct 2006, 20:10
damned no Gamecube:mad:
oww well then the PC version will come in my house:D

Joshorty
30th Oct 2006, 20:21
Hehe my bro will get the PC vewrsion while I'm on the PS and PSP :D I'M SO EXCITED :D !!! This shouldn't be one of those Legend hype days...I'm puttin' my hopes on this one.:D

MissLara2U
30th Oct 2006, 20:46
Anyone remember this statement (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tombraideranniversary/info.html) from SCi Entertainment's annual report?

This could be a marketing ploy, to set up another round of press releases to include the Xbox and Xbox 360.

Raider0011
30th Oct 2006, 20:56
I read that release MissLara2U, and I don't see anything to imply that the game will be released on any other platform? Am I missing something? I certainly hope that it is released on the XBox 360, as Legend did well on that console and the game could really be phenomenal on that console.. :)

Joshorty
30th Oct 2006, 21:25
Actually..Legend for 360 was announced as a kind of suprise wasn't it? So there might be hopes...but I'm still good even without the 360..(not that I don't care for you people:))

Treeble
30th Oct 2006, 21:25
And I almost deceived myself I would be able to choose and pick up the Nintendo version. :(

enoch
30th Oct 2006, 22:32
Maybe on x360 but not the cube or the old xbox. Those consoles are as good as dead. Well, at least when you look at the titles that are released today. So many games that originally was planned for xbox and the cube has been cancelled in the last year or two.

MissLara2U
30th Oct 2006, 22:32
I read that release MissLara2U, and I don't see anything to imply that the game will be released on any other platform? Am I missing something?

Raider0011. Yeah, you're right! My boo-boo. I was reading from another annual report. :mad2:

MissLara2U
30th Oct 2006, 22:34
WTF?

http://international.xboxway.com/news/archive/2006/10/30/xbox_tomb_raider_anniversary_first_image.aspx

Laraman
30th Oct 2006, 22:52
I think they're jealous so decided to change PSP to Xbox, LoL.

As for the 360 version of Legend, I can't really say it was a surprise because it had been in Scidos' Preliminary reports - along with a PSP version - before they ever officially announced an X360 version.

Dogfight
31st Oct 2006, 00:07

[ October 30th 2006 ]

Eidos Interactive Ltd., one of the world's leading publishers and developers of entertainment software, today confirms that the next Tomb Raider game will be entitled; Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary and is set for release on PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable (PSP) and PC in 2007.

Inspired by the first Tomb Raider videogame, originally released in 1996, LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: ANNIVERSARY is a totally new 2006 adventure for Lara, faithfully preserving the elements which made the original Tomb Raider such a classic, selling over 7 million copies worldwide.

Using an enhanced 'Tomb Raider Legend' game engine, the graphics, technology, physics and engine bring Lara's adventure and pursuit of a mystical artefact known only as the Scion right up to today's technology standards and will offer gamers a completely new gameplay experience.

"Over the years we have had literally thousands of requests to re-make the original Tomb Raider for today's gamer, we have gone a step further, we have taken the original story and made a completely new version for Tomb Raider: Anniversary." said Kathryn Clements, Senior Brand Manager, Eidos.

"We are re-telling an incredible story using today's technology, we've taken all of the key moments from the original game and put them into the context of a brand new Tomb Raider adventure which will make fans of the franchise extremely happy but also attract a completely new audience."

"We've captured the essence of what made the original game so special and with today's technology, created a game that pushes the boundaries of the current gaming consoles. Tomb Raider :Anniversary is a special celebration of Lara's reign as videogaming's leading lady" said Ian Livingstone, Eidos.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: Anniversary is currently in development by Crystal Dynamics and will be available in 2007 on PlayStation 2, PSP and PC.

I figured as much, I would not even be surprised if the sequel to Tomb Raider: Legend and God of War 3 were to be released for PS2. Some gamers may have already moved on to the next generation systems but most gamers are still with PS2 because the best games lately have been coming out for PS2 with almost all of them being exclusively for PS2. Last year Shadow of the Colossus was released exclusively for PS2, back in spring of this year Tomb Raider: Legend was released, Okami was released exclusively for PS2 September of this year, Bully was just released exclusively for PS2 and God of War 2 is going to come out exclusively for PS2 in February. PS2 is getting the best video games while the next generation systems barely have any games at all to play. While XBox has been dead for quite some time already PS2 is still alive and kicking and when it finally goes out it will be with a bang.

Sorin
31st Oct 2006, 06:21

[ October 30th 2006 ]

I play on PC, so this won't adversely affect me.

But from the perspective of other players and fans, I'm going to try and believe that those systems are only a sample of the systems it will be for. The PC is always today's technology, with hardware upgrades easily doable. But PS2? PSP? Define "today" please? "Today's" technology standards, in my view, are not PS2 or PSP. PS3 and Xbox360 - those are today's technology standards when it comes to home consoles; and home consoles were specifically mentioned in that article. Those are "current gaming consoles". PS2 and PSP are old hat. Yesterday's news. Old tech. Xbox360 and PS3 have some amazing capabilities and it's going to be a darn shame if they aren't included. So even though I have a PC and this won't affect me, for the sake of other fans I'm going to believe that PS2 and PSP were just a "sample" of the systems TRA will be for. Or that at least they are the confirmed systems, and they are still working on making it happen for the others.

Terminatorvs
31st Oct 2006, 20:09
I'm on PC. So, console problems don't affect me. But still, I feel sorry for those gamers, who are on consoles - it must be extremely frustrating to anticipate games, that are only complimentary for one console, and not for the other. I mean, do I have to own absolutely every console to play the games I want to play? That sucks - it means, I have to buy a new console every once in a while. PC for me - the only thing required are the upgrades.

ditom
31st Oct 2006, 21:49
This is very good news for me because I don't have very good computer and if the graphic will be better I will be in a big trouble :mad2:

Raider0011
1st Nov 2006, 14:53
It does seem odd that they are focusing on the PS2... I just don't get that. The XBox 360 is hardly unproven hardware (Having sold 6 million units already, with an expected 10 million unit user base by the end of the year). I would think that Eidos would want that market... :scratch: I do hope that the Anniversary Edition comes out on the XBox 360 though, because I cannot use my PC for gaming (That's what I bought my XBox 360 for... :) ). I fondly remember playing through TR1, and was REALLY looking forward to this Anniversary Edition. Hopefully there'll be better news between now and the games release... At least I hope... :( :mad:

Dogfight
1st Nov 2006, 19:41
Posted by Raider0011

It does seem odd that they are focusing on the PS2... I just don't get that. The XBox 360 is hardly unproven hardware (Having sold 6 million units already, with an expected 10 million unit user base by the end of the year). I would think that Eidos would want that market... I do hope that the Anniversary Edition comes out on the XBox 360 though, because I cannot use my PC for gaming (That's what I bought my XBox 360 for... ). I fondly remember playing through TR1, and was REALLY looking forward to this Anniversary Edition. Hopefully there'll be better news between now and the games release... At least I hope...

XBox is currently dead with no real new video games coming out for it. Updating the graphics for Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary for XBox 360 would cost considerable money and time and while Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary might sell well on XBox 360 most gamers want XBox 360 for shooter games not action-adventure games. The releases of these shooter video games would overshadow the release of Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary and Eidos Interactive might think that updating Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary might not be that cost effective to sell on the XBox 360, because most gamers if they have to choose between a shooter game or an action-adventure game, will choose the shooter game. However releasing it on the PS2 makes a great deal of sense because PS2 is known as the big action-adventure system and every gamer would get PS2 to play action-adventure games. At the same time with only a few games left before PS2 retires, releasing Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary exclusively for PS2 and PC might actually make Eidos Interactive more money than if they released it on multiple console systems because PS2 is now at a very low price. The PS2 beat the XBox in the last console war and getting it is a great deal for gamers that want to play action-adventure games.

Alexlovesguns
1st Nov 2006, 20:07
XBox is currently dead with no real new video games coming out for it. Updating the graphics for Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary for XBox 360 would cost considerable money and time and while Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary might sell well on XBox 360 most gamers want XBox 360 for shooter games not adventure games. The releases of these shooter video games would overshadow the release of Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary and Eidos Interactive might think that updating Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary might not be that cost effective to sell on the XBox 360, because most gamers if they have to choose between a shooter game or an adventure game, will choose the shooter game. However releasing it on the PS2 makes a great deal of sense because PS2 is known as the big adventure system and every gamer would get PS2 to play adventure games. At the same time with only a few games left before PS2 retires, releasing Tomb Raider 10th Anniversary exclusively for PS2 and PC might actually make Eidos Interactive more money than if they released it on on multiple console systems because PS2 is now at the low price of one-hundred and thirty dollars and it is flying off the shelves. So do yourself a favor and buy a PS2, the PS2 beat the XBox in the last console wars and therefore if you are a real gamer you have no reason not to have one.

Dude... a real gamer uses whatever he likes and is good enough, most people i know that own PS2's are cheapo mainstreamers with no perception of evolution, also.. there is nothing that makes the PS2 this great adventure platform, all are consoles with controlers atached to them, the 360 has the power to deliver beautyfull things, the PS2 is old and doesnt cut it...

My bet is that sony bought or owns exclusive wrights to TR1 and/or this remake, if you buy a ps2 today you are holding things back, buy a up to date platform, you are living in the past.

Dogfight
2nd Nov 2006, 00:04
Posted by Alexlovesguns

Dude... a real gamer uses whatever he likes and is good enough, most people i know that own PS2's are cheapo mainstreamers with no perception of evolution, also.. there is nothing that makes the PS2 this great adventure platform, all are consoles with controlers atached to them, the 360 has the power to deliver beautyfull things, the PS2 is old and doesnt cut it...

My bet is that sony bought or owns exclusive wrights to TR1 and/or this remake, if you buy a ps2 today you are holding things back, buy a up to date platform, you are living in the past.

You got to be kidding me, dude, saying that PS2 is not the action-adventure game console is like saying that XBox is not the shooter game console. No real gamer would say that. Have you ever been to IGN? PS2 has had the most greatest number of action-adventure video games of all the consoles released for it. PS2 has the Castlevania games, the Jak and Daxter games, the Legacy of Kain games, Primal, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Tomb Raider Legend, and Okami. These game are so good that several of them are on gamers top ten lists.

Headache
2nd Nov 2006, 00:47

CHILL OUT!!! It's just another freaking platform you play games on. Regardless of the power or whatever. Good God. :rolleyes:

On a happier note, Im glad to hear it's coming out on PC :D

Alexlovesguns
2nd Nov 2006, 01:46
You got to be kidding me, dude, saying that PS2 is not the action-adventure game console is like saying that XBox is not the shooter game console. No real gamer would say that. Have you ever been to IGN? PS2 has had the most greatest number of action-adventure video games of all the consoles. PS2 has the Castlevania games, the Jak and Daxter games, the Legacy of Kain games, Primal, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, God of War, Tomb Raider Legend, and Okami. These game are so good that several of them are on gamers top ten lists.

Well... imagine you have a good console and a very dated one... would you refuse to play TRL with next gen graphics just because you consider your ancient, outdated console to be "the adventure platform"?

The adventure platform is whatever platform you play your games with, if you dont have anything better than a ps2 to game with you are very likely a mainstream gamer.

I play all genres exclusively on the PC (including shooters), if i wanted a console for sports games i would buy a capable one, not a ps2...

Joshorty
2nd Nov 2006, 03:28
Console Wars - aiya..-_-

aussie500
2nd Nov 2006, 04:13
How did this degenerate into a console war thread? We knew since the announcement on the 16th June that the game was only going to be released on PC, PS2 and PSP and have beed told since then it was NOT going to be a next gen game, so you have had plenty of time to work out it is not going to be available on any other consoles. And what does the XBox have to do with the last 10 years of Tomb Raider anyway? This is a game to celebrate the last 10 years of Tomb Raider, a game for the fans who played the previous games on the PC and Sony platforms, l am sure if Sega had still been going they would have got it as well. Although l own an XBox l would not expect this special Anniversary game to be released for anything other than what the first 6 games were available on Lara Croft has always been a Sony legend from the first game in 1996 so it is natural for the last current gen game, and the remake of the game that started it all to be released exclusively for the current gen Sony consoles(as well as PC). Of course there is always the slight possibiity that there is another reason only Sony is getting the game, since the cancelled Core game was going to be for the same 3 platforms, maybe Sony does have exclusive rights to a remake of the original, who knows, either way the game is not going to be available on the XBox. Of course most of the fans who love playing the old games already own a PS2 or a PC :rasp:

Jorge22
3rd Nov 2006, 13:49
It's a shame that the game should be based on TR1 because a custom game for TR1 (with some new areas) has already been released and it's called Tomb Raider 1 Revised. I've played it. Am I interested in the almost same thing now?

shirl123
3rd Nov 2006, 15:35
It's a shame that the game should be based on TR1 because a custom game for TR1 (with some new areas) has already been released and it's called Tomb Raider 1 Revised. I've played it. Am I interested in the almost same thing now?

really? I thought it was called "TR4/TRLR" :rasp:
anyway, I've heard that it'll be diffrent from TR1 - keeping the "classic parts" (funny, I thought that the WHOLE game has it's classic moments, not just a few), but making the game much shorter, story will be a bit diffrent...and the gameplay + quests will be diffrent.
well, I could be wrong.

Treeble
3rd Nov 2006, 15:39
anyway, I've heard that it'll be diffrent from TR1 - keeping the "classic parts" but making the game much shorter, story will be a bit diffrent...and the gameplay + quests will be diffrent.

Huh??! :confused:

Zelda Master
3rd Nov 2006, 15:53
the hell shorter like Legend wasn't short enough:lol:

shirl123
3rd Nov 2006, 15:57
Huh??! :confused:

keeping the classic parts such as the T-rex, etc... yet, many other things will be diffrent. but like I said, I could be wrong.
[I really need to improve my grammar and such, don't I?]

Jorge22
3rd Nov 2006, 18:45
really? I thought it was called "TR4/TRLR" :rasp:
anyway, I've heard that it'll be diffrent from TR1 - keeping the "classic parts" (funny, I thought that the WHOLE game has it's classic moments, not just a few), but making the game much shorter, story will be a bit diffrent...and the gameplay + quests will be diffrent.
well, I could be wrong.

You thought very wrong. :) Like I said, it is now possible to revive TR1 with the LE. Why should I care about buying yet another TR1 when it's even not my favorite in the series?

shirl123
3rd Nov 2006, 19:21
You thought very wrong. :) Like I said, it is now possible to revive TR1 with the LE. Why should I care about buying yet another TR1 when it's even not my favorite in the series?

I was joking with you :) even though I do feel that way about TR4, it was based almost entirly on TR1...and not in a good way!
I know on which levels you're talking about. the creators obviously did a great job with 'em. :thumbsup:
btw, TR1 IS my favourite from the entire series, yet, I'm also not interested in an official re-make.

Headache
3rd Nov 2006, 19:23
TR1 IS my favourite from the entire series, yet, I'm also not interested in an official re-make.
You like it 'un-tamed', eh? :)

shirl123
3rd Nov 2006, 20:13
You like it 'un-tamed', eh? :)

no, I just want that game to be "left alone" :p *
when fans create a re-make - it's just a nice pack of levels that can't be taken too seriously. but when it's an official re-make...I'll just say that I think it's a waste of time and resources. ...and also "grrrr! I want TR8!" :lol:

* I don't see the point in making this huge sacrifice, unless they (Eidos, CD) are planning that this game will shock the gaming industry...ah well, only time will tell. :rolleyes:

midroth
4th Nov 2006, 09:43
, I'm also not interested in an official re-make.What ever you take, take less. :D

Sorin
4th Nov 2006, 11:37
"grrrr! I want TR8!" :lol:

I want TR8 too. But this remake doesn't sound like it's going to be as painfully short as Legend, plus it's based on the Legend engine anyways. It sounds like it's going to be pretty decent.

Though this is going to mean we are left hanging for god knows how long on the Legend storyline to continue. But all things considered, I think this will be a worthy sacrifice/compromise.

TRfan
4th Nov 2006, 13:52
I love the idea but Im a bit worried that they'll eff it up and yet again short change us because of deadline issues and all of that.

shirl123
4th Nov 2006, 16:21
I want TR8 too. But this remake doesn't sound like it's going to be as painfully short as Legend, plus it's based on the Legend engine anyways. It sounds like it's going to be pretty decent.

Though this is going to mean we are left hanging for god knows how long on the Legend storyline to continue. But all things considered, I think this will be a worthy sacrifice/compromise.

read this. (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=599657&postcount=47)
"today's technology" - graphics only? or maybe a possible hint for this game being short-ish?
it's not just the wait for TR8 that bugs me, but I already explained what else is bothering me. I think you all got my point ;)
I guess only time will tell us for sure if it's a worthy sacrifice, even though it's the perfect TR1. "sooner or later, time will tell". :nut:

enoch
5th Nov 2006, 20:39
Everytime I hear about that a new TR game is on its way I am thrilled and I can´t wait to see what they can create. So the "I hope it´s not a...kind of game" stuff seems misplaced from my point of view. But thats just my point of view and blablabla...

Alexlovesguns
6th Nov 2006, 17:09

Yes.

They should publish a book with the Legend storyline and be done with it, what i care about the remake are good puzzle solving and exploration elements, game lenght and the more classic style (less tech gadgets and more weapons!).

I miss the feeling of being alone and lost in some virtual temple ruins, that is some of the good stuff i hope they will bring back with this remake.

CatSuit&Ponytail
7th Nov 2006, 11:43
I miss the feeling of being alone and lost in some virtual temple ruins, that is some of the good stuff i hope they will bring back with this remake.
I hope they leave me alone with the sound of my own breathing and the light environmental sounds-(hardly even music) too. I want no hints and back talk, just pure Tomb Raiding in a sprawling convoluted, spider, bear and bat filled world. :rolleyes: *sigh* Oh, that would be sooooo tasty. :cool:

Alexlovesguns
7th Nov 2006, 22:28
I hope they leave me alone with the sound of my own breathing and the light environmental sounds-(hardly even music) too. I want no hints and back talk, just pure Tomb Raiding in a sprawling convoluted, spider, bear and bat filled world. :rolleyes: *sigh* Oh, that would be sooooo tasty. :cool:

Exactly, more TR and less Splinter Cellish :) .

dragonhunter
22nd Nov 2006, 03:57
I think it's a good thing they are releasing it only for current gen platforms.

Because not everyone is super rich and can afford a $500-$600+ console, they want more people to play the game.

I believe its safe to say more people own PS2, Xbox, and a PC then people own Xbox360 and PS3.

Smart move IMO.

Cant wait for the PC version!

shurik
23rd Nov 2006, 17:31
Does anyone know why TR anniversary won't be on PS3??? :confused: AE comes out in March of 2007 and by that time PS3 will be around for some time taking the lead of all the consoles! Why won't they make it on PS3 and 360 as well is the question!? :confused: