PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on thief 4.

Mirrorsaw
26th Oct 2006, 00:21
I played the first 2 in the series as soon as they came out, and just now got around to buying and finishing Deadly Shadows, I came upon this forum after typing Thief 4 into google and came upon a thread here that didnt really do the idea justice, and degenerated into people talking about fan made levels for Thief 2...

At any rate, a few people said they didnt like the ending, and i admit it's a bit short, but they missed one huge thing, when he catches the young girl trying to pickpocket him it's exactly how he got started with the keepers way back in the first one (even what he says if my memory is correct, been awhile), and its clearly meant to be an open ending, if there is another one in the series it seems Garret may not be the main character, he'd probably still be in game as a teacher of sorts, but the ending implied another thief may be up and coming, and it being a girl couldnt hurt sales, heheh

My only hopes, if it even happens, are they mix the open city style in Deadly Shadows with the depth and plot style of the original and throw in a few new things (I won't bother saying anything about graphics or engines, game developers are aware), but also things like Garret looking different in pretty much every cutscene and image in deadly shadows annoyed me, it seemed it was thrown together or rushed in other ways also, could have been done better, but still it's my second favorite in the series, the original still stands as the best to me though, very few games stand out in my memory like that one.

Anyway, i just finished Thief 3 not even 15 minutes ago, and had to rant a bit, and maybe some Dev at Eidos will stumble upon this and realize people are interested in another.

Tin Star
26th Oct 2006, 12:29
I am sure that most every one here knew the ending was some what like the start of the first game that gave Garrett his start as a thief and keeper but the ending still could have been better then it was,it was not just the ending that a lot of people felt could have been done better but many other things in the game that have been better and the changes that where made to the game should not have been done,to many reloads,climbing gloves,no roof tops and not being able to explore in the game or having secret areas to find are just some of the reasons I felt the game ranked number 3.

Myself I rank Thief Gold as number 1 with Thief 2 as second just in case you don't know Thief Gold is the first game but it has three more missions added to it along with a few changes in the game,if you don't have it I would like to suggest you get a copy seeing how you liked the first game best.

Tin Star

maddermadcat
1st Nov 2006, 18:18
What really annoyed me about the T3 cutscenes was that they actually showed Garrett's face. Even worse, practically all the faces looked almost inhuman... Thief I & II did a better job of the characters' faces.
Anyway, I actually really liked the T3 ending. But no ending can be satisfying... I still crave for another Thief game... Of course, the girl he recruited to the keeper order could continue the story.

KeeperAvidan
12th Nov 2006, 05:37
Ok, from reading a lot of posts, I have to agree to my sister, NovaIce. Make Thief 4 Multiplayer, but nothing like ThieveryUT. One person can play Garrett another his apperentice, which would be the little girl he recriuts at the end of DS. Another good idea is that you COULD play them seperatly, this way you could see two prosectives, different characters, but simliar storyline. This way, Garrett won't become an "unplayable" Character/NPC. If you like this idea or would like to talk to my sister more about her idea, you can contact her through her e-mail: CobaltPheonix@aol.com or just her AIM name which is CobaltPheoinx. (She never checks her private messages on any type of forum and I don't know why, don't ask!)

They should also make it so that there would be infromation to gather and such. But what made her think of this idea is when she had a dream of Garrett calling her a Keeper before we even saw the ending. She also said that the ending is similar to how she met Garrett. If you want more infromation on that, again, contact her, not me. I'm not interested in what she told me. But what she also said is that she was the "only hope" for the Keepers. She sounds crazy, that's for sure. Anyway, that's our thoughts and what "message" Garrett gave her in calling her a "Keeper".

Headache
13th Nov 2006, 17:25
That's very interesting, KeeperAvidan. Sounds like your sister has some promising ideas.

Rommel_1891
13th Nov 2006, 23:09
Welcome to our little corner Mirrorsaw!

While you're taffing around here, you should check out some of our links and get yourself Darkloader so you can play those T1/TG and T2 FM's! ;)

KeeperAvidan
16th Nov 2006, 16:27
That's very interesting, KeeperAvidan. Sounds like your sister has some promising ideas.

Yeah, she has interesting ideas at times. But there's a good and bad thing about having a Thief 4.

1. Will the game be as good as the pervious Thief games? (Live up to its reputation?)

2. What time/era will they place or keep it in?

3. What will become of the game itself if (IF) it dies down? Do we want Garrett to be just... a memory? (So to speak)

Headache
16th Nov 2006, 22:23
But there's a good and bad thing about having a Thief 4.

1. Will the game be as good as the pervious Thief games? (Live up to its reputation?)
Most likely not. From what I've seen/heard, T3 seemed to have shot itself in the foot. Now personally, I thought the game was excellent.
But IMO, it appears games that continue seem to steadily go downhill because developers try new things that the veterans aren't exactly inclined to, and will always prefer the game the way it was when it first came out. When a new game comes out, some people expect and/or want sequels (if any) to be in the ball park of the first game. (Am I making any sense? :nut:)

2. What time/era will they place or keep it in?
Im hoping, that if they do come out with T4 (most likely not), that it will be during the same era but obviously a little later on in that time. T4 set in the 70s..... Uhhh. No.
Though I seriously doubt they'd jump that far!

3. What will become of the game itself if (IF) it dies down? Do we want Garrett to be just... a memory? (So to speak)
IF it dies down, the only people who will remember it, supposedly, are the true fans of Thief.
Not 'some person' who just looks at the box.. "Oh this looks cool." Buys it... Plays it... And.... "This game sucks!" Or, they buy it, like it, but isn't really interested in the rest of the franchise - and it's forgotten.

You see, people these days don't appreciate true stealth games. (Thief IMO is a true stealth game.) They just want to burst into that warehouse... Battlefield... Etc., guns blazin' away. In your face.

...Ok Im finished now. :p

littlek
4th Dec 2006, 01:47
The idea of not having Garrett the main character in ANY thief sequal is unacceptable. **** I played the game because of the first person sneaker style AND because I liked the character Garrett...I am not interested in this being Laura Croft thief style.

Gillie
4th Dec 2006, 16:27
The idea of not having Garrett the main character in ANY thief sequal is unacceptable. **** I played the game because of the first person sneaker style AND because I liked the character Garrett...I am not interested in this being Laura Croft thief style.

I have not been back for a while,but here goes!.
I agree with all the sentiments above. It would not be "Thief". Garrett is a character with a unique style. It is much more fun finding out puzzles and sneaking about,than going in all Guns blazing.
I still believe there could be an other one though. I love the first person sneaker style too. I actually loved all three games. I don't own TDP,but Gold which is fantastic

All the hundreds of wonderful fan Missions to play as well. Still Garrett as he should be. I have still so many to play as well as the ones for "Deadly Shadows".
The Fan Authors are nothing but excellent. I praise them!! all.
The work that goes into them and the stories. Enough to go on a long while. I am way behind though.
So there!.:rasp: Lol

PinCushion
4th Dec 2006, 19:05
WOW, alas i am dissapointed. why? because I'm a HUGE fan of the UT engine and it's modding community. Is there any chance that this mod will be updated to either 2k4 or even, dont hold your breath, 2k7? especcially with Assasins *Cough rip-off* Creed coming out soon?

Personnaly I think we'll be seeing more homebrew mods coming out for 2k4 for a while since its so established and not expected to be all liquidy perfect looking. And, dont know about you but I'm still preparing a rig for 2k7 soecs. Us poor people have to stick together.

As far as the idea goes. Right on, dont give up, if i could recompile this for 2k4 I would.