PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to play this?

Manavi
6th Oct 2013, 14:20
So.. I'll try and make this short;
I am a huge, huge fan of LoK.
... But I am not a huge fan of PvP.

I stalked the forums for a while and watched the livestream Q&A video, but I feel I am still quite confused on the nature of this game. In the Q&A livestream, they said it's a "class based PvP action game" and yet they said there were lots of things put in great details to be explored... how am I going to explore a map when my bum is being hunted down? .-.

Even in MMO's I always chose a PvE server where possible or a duel-system game to avoid getting hunted down and just enjoy a story, let alone I never played a competitive-multiplayer game before, which might explain why it's hard for my brain to understand some of the elements, but I really need some clarifications.

I do want to try the game out and I am somewhat looking forward to it (with some fear).. but is it only going to be kill kill kill hunt and destroy type of game? ._. I know there won't be any puzzles, but will there be any, any safe areas to just explore without getting my bum hunted down?

I don't mind some PvP from time to time.. but if it's only and mainly kill kill kill type of game, I'll be quite sad :(

LOFO1993
6th Oct 2013, 14:53
According to what they said so far, everything points to the "kill kill kill type of game". This won't be an MMO, you won't create your character and make it evolve. Every match will probably ask you to choose a team and/or a character from the 3 (for now) each team has, and then go killing. If there is anything else than this in terms of game-play, well, they did all they could to hide it, and it wouldn't make any sense.

For a game like this, "things put in great details to be explores" - translating from PR language - probably just means maps aren't white canvas, but there are things in them. Given the kind of game I honestly can't thing of any possible alternative.

Manavi
6th Oct 2013, 15:25
But they also said we would get to know, for example, how Dumah was struck down in his own throne and shed some light on the mysteries behind it.. how would we know that if it's only a kill kill kill type of game?
If they would somehow shed light on these mysteries however; it would make no sense to the timeline. Since the Dumahim are still not fully devolved yet in the time of Nosgoth, but when we see Dumah in SR1 he was fully devolved, which means it happened at a time not so long ago from Raziel waking up and the Dumahim were already devolving.. while Nosgoth's Dumahim don't look so devolved yet, so Dumah would still be alive and kicking in the time of Nosgoth

Faaah x.x so much confusion and so many questions.

LOFO1993
6th Oct 2013, 15:44
About that, I guess there will be some kind of briefing or something like that explaining that. I don't expect much more honestly. I don't know how the game and the various "levels" have been conceived, so I don't know how and how much there will be a "story", but be sure the game itself won't change anyway from a PvP arena.

For every question you have, the first thing you have to keep in mind is "what is the audience for this game?". And the answer is "for the 95%, people who don't give a toss about Dumah's fate or whatever". The developers will focus A LOT on the game-play aspects, giving those the priority over the lore where it's necessary, and then, only then, do something about the "story".

I haven't played the game yet, of course, but right now my feeling about all of this aren't really positive. My fear is that "calling in all the fans" here to "help them" will cause a lot of misunderstandings. They will probably at least consider changing the small things people are complaining the most on, but I don't know how much will actually be changed, and I'm pretty sure the whole direction of the project in its main aspects (like having more or less of a back-story, having cinematics, calling in voice-actors, creating certain character classes or not and how, the artistic direction for the characters and the maps etc.) won't just change, no matter what "we" say. The audience for the game won't change, no matter what is said here. And if any request will collide with decisions made primarily for economic/marketing reasons, just forget about it.

Hope I gave you a clearer look on how things are. At least, this is how I see them. Hope I'm wrong, but for I've seen so far I'm afraid I won't.

Anacrothe
7th Oct 2013, 00:13
You will be able to play this however I don't think you will like it as I believe it is strictly PvP, however you might want to give it a try just in case =]

ZeroFernir
7th Oct 2013, 00:17
You will be able to play this however I don't think you will like it as I believe it is strictly PvP, however you might want to give it a try just in case =]

I agree with Anacrothe. Play it because you like it, not because of the franchise. If we play for the franchise, they will start giving us only this kind of game.

ghostlion88
24th Nov 2013, 14:00
Yes I am also brand new to any sort of online PVP. I have a tiny bit of experience playing online with Left 4 Dead and some Quake Arena on Xbox live.

Both Quake & L4D however allowed for a single-player experience with bots, which was great for me to "train" before entering an online battlefield with other experienced players.

So I'm wondering (and hoping) that there is a possible available single-player mode, just to be able to get used to the controls and how to use abilities and things like that.

Also at the moment I sadly have not a reliable internet connection ;-; These days whenever I use the internet, I often must go to Dunkin Donuts to use their wifi, as it doesn't work so well in my apartment, and fizzles out often.

lucinvampire
24th Nov 2013, 19:16
So I'm wondering (and hoping) that there is a possible available single-player mode, just to be able to get used to the controls and how to use abilities and things like that.

As far as is revealed so far there is currently no single player or training area in Nosgoth - it is straight into the PVP action :D