PDA

View Full Version : OMG, what a rip-off

pyrozen
24th Oct 2006, 23:35
After reading through these boards i can see that eveyone else was fooled into thinking they were buying a great game. This is without a doubt the worst piece of software i've ever ATTEMPTED to play. I won't bother listing all the problems because it's been done in 10+ threads already. I cannot believe that this game was okayed to be released.

The sad part is the only response the edios has even typed was in the thread were the kids XBOX360 got fried, and they just denied it was they're fault(which it wasn't anyway). This game seems like it COULD be awesome if the controls could be setup is a halfway decent fashion. In this day and age of gaming, i don't expect a patch unless this game starts flying off the shelves.

okay, i feel better now.

intrepid_soul
24th Oct 2006, 23:54
Hmmm I thought I was a little more active in this forum? As for the Xbox issue, hardware does go bad, usually while a disc is inside it. Its unlikely that a disk would cause a console to crash, and if it did there would be more consistency to the number of reports.

pyrozen
25th Oct 2006, 00:09
no, i totally agree that the game didn't cause an issue with the XBOX. I've had 2 friends who have replaced theirs because the 1st gens just go bad for some reason.

The premise of the game is totally awesome, and i've played it on XBOX and it's a blast. But i don't own an XBOX, and i feel like i paid $50 for a half-hearted port to the PC. I'm not trying to come off as an *******, but come-on, a weeks worth of play testing would have reveled all the issues everyone on these boards are dealing with.

enfranchised
25th Oct 2006, 02:22
I'd be happy if my PC just recognized the stupid game disc. The back of the box makes it look fun though:p

intrepid_soul
25th Oct 2006, 12:57
no, i totally agree that the game didn't cause an issue with the XBOX. I've had 2 friends who have replaced theirs because the 1st gens just go bad for some reason.

The premise of the game is totally awesome, and i've played it on XBOX and it's a blast. But i don't own an XBOX, and i feel like i paid $50 for a half-hearted port to the PC. I'm not trying to come off as an *******, but come-on, a weeks worth of play testing would have reveled all the issues everyone on these boards are dealing with.

The majority of the issues being reported to customer support are the standard issues we see with any PC title, usualy basic computer maintenance fixes most issues. Updating drivers, uninstall reinstall, closing background programs. The other 10-15% that we see are people trying to run the game on unsupported hardware. I blame major computer manufacturers for not educating consumers better on why they want to upgrade their Intel graphics card.

I remember first seeing this in test well over a year and half ago, and I can promise you that any legitimate issue that is present not was amplified 10000x times. Is any software perfect? No, butthere is a reasonable expectation of the game working in a playable manner. What issues are you encountering?

The only issue that still has us perplexed is the vertex shader error on launch. Weeks of play testing and no one recieved that error, even now that we have have DXDIAGs from machines with this problem we can't reproduce it. I understand the frustration on you part, but know there is someone here trying to figure out these pesky issues.

intrepid_soul
25th Oct 2006, 12:58
I'd be happy if my PC just recognized the stupid game disc. The back of the box makes it look fun though:p

Do you have a DVD rom drive? This game is printed on DVD media so without a DVD rom you won't be able to access it.

enfranchised
25th Oct 2006, 14:50
I understand you have to ask, but sheesh, i'm not a complete moron. This is my post.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=63287

I e-mailed SecuROM and they wanted me to click on the executable to send them some info but they don't understand that my DVD drive acts as if it's empty when I put the disc in.

pyrozen
25th Oct 2006, 16:23
Issues i've been having are sometimes the sound completely cuts out. I have Nvidia Nforce 2 onboard audio and it works work perfectly fine with the 20+ other games i own. All drivers are updated with the exception of my AIW drivers, but i'm not having any graphical issues. The controls cannot be mapped to a control pad directly through the game, so i'm forced to Alt-Tab back and forth between my keyboard/mouse emulation until i find a control scheme that somewhat works. I'm still hunting for one :whistle: I also have the stuttering problems other have been having, but not to a serious extent.
My computer played all the next gen titles easily (Doom, Quake 4, FarCry, FEAR, etc..) and while this game has beautiful graphics, i doesn't seem like it would be as system intensive as the titles listed above.

I'm never one to go on boards and complain about a game not working, but i've been playing PC games for 10+ years and have never encounted a game such as this. And like i said before, the game is a blast to play, even if it is a little frustrating. I don't doubt that i will finish the game either, but i probably won't recommend it to anyone with a PC.

intrepid_soul
25th Oct 2006, 21:16
I understand you have to ask, but sheesh, i'm not a complete moron. This is my post.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=63287

I e-mailed SecuROM and they wanted me to click on the executable to send them some info but they don't understand that my DVD drive acts as if it's empty when I put the disc in.

No offense meant, we actually recieve about 5-10 calls a week where the the issue is the user not having a DVD drive. I would uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers for your DVD drive. Then, for good measure update the firmware if an update exists. That should clear up this issue.

intrepid_soul
25th Oct 2006, 21:19
Issues i've been having are sometimes the sound completely cuts out. I have Nvidia Nforce 2 onboard audio and it works work perfectly fine with the 20+ other games i own. All drivers are updated with the exception of my AIW drivers, but i'm not having any graphical issues. The controls cannot be mapped to a control pad directly through the game, so i'm forced to Alt-Tab back and forth between my keyboard/mouse emulation until i find a control scheme that somewhat works. I'm still hunting for one :whistle: I also have the stuttering problems other have been having, but not to a serious extent.

Have you tried playing with the sound acceleration inside DXDIAG, try lowering it and see if this clears up. For good measure you should update the drivers for the AIW, if there is an update.

I'm never one to go on boards and complain about a game not working, but i've been playing PC games for 10+ years and have never encounted a game such as this. And like i said before, the game is a blast to play, even if it is a little frustrating. I don't doubt that i will finish the game either, but i probably won't recommend it to anyone with a PC.

I understand completly, and if this is the first time you have had an issue like this, you are lucky. I got our of computer gaming when my old 386 no longer could run the newer games. I like the comfort in knowing when I buy a console game, there won't be any compatibility issues (if I am using all branded equipment).

pyrozen
25th Oct 2006, 23:12
Have you tried playing with the sound acceleration inside DXDIAG, try lowering it and see if this clears up. For good measure you should update the drivers for the AIW, if there is an update.

I understand completly, and if this is the first time you have had an issue like this, you are lucky. I got our of computer gaming when my old 386 no longer could run the newer games. I like the comfort in knowing when I buy a console game, there won't be any compatibility issues (if I am using all branded equipment).

I'll give the DXDIAG a shot and see if it clears it up, hopefully it will. I would update my AIW drivers but the newest drivers cause incompatibilties with something else in my computer, and it causes the TV tuner to not work.
I used to be an avid console gamer but being able to do more than play games in the reason i own a computer and not an XBOX.
I can't justify dropping $300+ on a system when i could do the same and throw a top of the line GFX card in my computer and have it better than a 360. I know you guys can't expect to find every problem a game could possible have, but at LEAST give me gamepad support! this is not 1997!

blakey83
25th Oct 2006, 23:50
pyro....dload a program called xpadder...u can map ur mouse and keyboard to ur gamepad.i use it 4 jc and n e other title that doesnt support gamepads:)

enfranchised
26th Oct 2006, 17:08
No offense meant, we actually recieve about 5-10 calls a week where the the issue is the user not having a DVD drive. I would uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers for your DVD drive. Then, for good measure update the firmware if an update exists. That should clear up this issue.

I uninstalled the drivers, physically disconnected the drive, reinstalled the drive, installed the latest drivers I could find and updated the firmware. It still doesn't work. I brought the disc to work and it read fine in several machines so it has to be something on my PC. Any other ideas? I have no idea and I'd really like to play the game.

intrepid_soul
26th Oct 2006, 20:31
I uninstalled the drivers, physically disconnected the drive, reinstalled the drive, installed the latest drivers I could find and updated the firmware. It still doesn't work. I brought the disc to work and it read fine in several machines so it has to be something on my PC. Any other ideas? I have no idea and I'd really like to play the game.

Try this:
1. Click on start
2. Click Run
3. Type in MSConfig
4. Select Ok
5. Choose Selective start up
6. Take the check out of Load Startup Items and Load System Services
7. Select Apply, then ok.. the system will restart

Try running the game and let us know what happens. If the game runs then one of the things in either of those two categories was the issue. You can go back to MSCONFIG and select the tabs Startup andand System services. You can manually start adding things back in and restarting trying to isolate what is preventing the game from loading.

If the game still doesn't work set it back to normal startup.

enfranchised
27th Oct 2006, 00:40
Try this:
1. Click on start
2. Click Run
3. Type in MSConfig
4. Select Ok
5. Choose Selective start up
6. Take the check out of Load Startup Items and Load System Services
7. Select Apply, then ok.. the system will restart

Try running the game and let us know what happens. If the game runs then one of the things in either of those two categories was the issue. You can go back to MSCONFIG and select the tabs Startup andand System services. You can manually start adding things back in and restarting trying to isolate what is preventing the game from loading.

If the game still doesn't work set it back to normal startup.

I monitor the services and programs running in the background closely and I hadn't found anything before, even so, I followed your suggestion and disabled all of them. Still the same problem. I read somewhere that Starforce can cause problems with optical drives. I didn't think I had anything installed that used Starforce but when I selected "Show hidden devices" in the Device Manager there they were. I disabled them but that didn't make a difference. I'm not sure how to remove them completely. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for replying btw. There doesn't seem to be anyone else with the same issue, I appreciate your time.

Major_A
27th Oct 2006, 07:32
I monitor the services and programs running in the background closely and I hadn't found anything before, even so, I followed your suggestion and disabled all of them. Still the same problem. I read somewhere that Starforce can cause problems with optical drives. I didn't think I had anything installed that used Starforce but when I selected "Show hidden devices" in the Device Manager there they were. I disabled them but that didn't make a difference. I'm not sure how to remove them completely. Any other thoughts?

Thanks for replying btw. There doesn't seem to be anyone else with the same issue, I appreciate your time.
How to remove all StarForce components from your PC:

Sometimes the un-installation utility of the protected application does not uninstall all StarForce drivers. The following procedure will ensure that all StarForce related components are completely removed from your system.

1. Download the SFREMOVE tool (http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55) as a ZIP archive.
2. Extract and store sfdrvrem.exe anywhere on your hard disk.
3. Run sfdrvrem.exe.

If the protected application requires a StarForce driver, this driver will be re-installed as soon as you launch the application again. For further help, please contact the helpdesk of the application publisher.

Note that all cases of unauthorized distribution of StarForce Removal Tool (sfdrvrem.exe) itself, be it .EXE file or the utility archive (.ZIP, .RAR, etc.), are considered as infringement of the copyright. For authorization, please contact StarForce at sales@star-force.com.

If you have the Star Force driver it's because you have a game/demo that uses/used it. Here is a list of games that use that protection.
http://www.boycottstarforce.net/?page_id=3

syrdax
27th Oct 2006, 09:57
There is another solution and is very simple: go to system and then hardware and then device manager, there, right click on your dvd drivers (including any emulator if you have) and uninstall them, then refresh and windows should install them again. That fixed the very same problem you have of 'blank disks'. Even if you have Starforce installed (which you should uninstall)

intrepid_soul
27th Oct 2006, 13:51

This is where it gets interesting as we don't use Starforce we use Securom, and their error messages are very different from the one caused by this issue. I am going to bounce this off the compatibility lab when I get in to work, unfortunatly they are in the UK so I might not get a response until tommorow. Try the methods suggested above for removing starforce and let me know if that does anything.

People with this issue have only stayed around long enough to know we don't know. :mad: So I appreciate you sticking it out and helping us.

syrdax
27th Oct 2006, 16:42
A few months back I installed TOCA3, it came with Starforce, but I didn't know what the thing does, so I didn't worry. After a week or so I bought some other games that were more interesting than TOCA3 so I decided to uninstall the game because the lack of hard disk space. After uninstalled, the program asked for a windows restart. Bad thing I thought, what the game that is no longer in the HD will ask such thing? But I restarted, only to find that 4 other games I had installed didn't work anymore, and finally, found that every .exe was erased and every .dat file was a WindowsMedia Player file. Of course I had to re install all the games again and when I tried the first one, I found the 'blank disk' problem that here's commented. After a lot of researching, almost nothing fix the problem until I did what I just posted before: uninstall drivers, let windows reinstall them.
I still have installed Starforce, I don't know how but it gets in here again and again, and I stoped buying software that uses it because of the fact that to me, at least to me, it causes me lots of trouble.

enfranchised
2nd Nov 2006, 02:05
This is where it gets interesting as we don't use Starforce we use Securom, and their error messages are very different from the one caused by this issue. I am going to bounce this off the compatibility lab when I get in to work, unfortunatly they are in the UK so I might not get a response until tommorow. Try the methods suggested above for removing starforce and let me know if that does anything.

People with this issue have only stayed around long enough to know we don't know. :mad: So I appreciate you sticking it out and helping us.

I've tried all I can think of. I need to re-format anyway. The drive is a Lite-On SHM-165H6S if it helps. Thanks for your time.

jo111
3rd Nov 2006, 14:38
The only issue that still has us perplexed is the vertex shader error on launch.

I had a problem that perplexed Eidos' support. Just Cause was crashing on startup. I emailed the analysis to SecuROM & they couldn't see what was causing the problem. Eidos' UK support couldn't work out what the problem was either. In the end I had to download an "alternate" version of the .exe to get it to work. Now there are just all the gameplay bugs to deal with.