View Full Version : Just cause Crashes Pc

Shin
22nd Oct 2006, 14:33
ok ... here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual core processor 3800+ 2.01 GHx, 1.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 7900 GTX (with latest drivers)
DirectX 9c
Realtek AC'97 Audio
(if you need to know anything else more specific please just ask)

And heres the problem:

Ok i can start up Just Cause without any problems .. i can install it and i can even play it ... i got to the first save point just before you go into the little truck to recieve your first mission .... so here is what happens ... i load up the game and play it for about 4 mins ... then the computer switches off no error messages, no strange things happening in-game .. it just switches off ... at first i thought that it could be something wrong with my pc however i am able to play games like Oblivion, HL2 and black and white 2 on it without any problems.

I have tried reinstalling the game to see if that fixes the problem however it does not.

I would really appriciate some help. thanks

Maxx_Fire
22nd Oct 2006, 20:42
I have had issues like this before in the past with a certain motherboard... Turned out to be the processor wasn't getting cooled properly due to heat spikes (my own fault) so the mobo was forcing the PC to switch off for a bit to cool down. This can also happen with the graphics card overheating too.

Try turning down all the ingame graphics options to the minimum and see if it allows you to play for longer. If it does, you need to look at extra cooling methods for your PC.

Shin
22nd Oct 2006, 21:53
yeah i tried that but no differences .... i doubt it would be overheating of the graphics card .. Just cause isnt as a demanding game as oblivion and i can play that fine.

Major_A
23rd Oct 2006, 08:42
Right click My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Startup & Recovery Settings->Uncheck Automatically restart.

When the game crashes it will give you the reason and the address it crashed at. You will then know what the fault was and should be able to take steps to fix the problem.

Shin
23rd Oct 2006, 19:18
I really appriciate the help however this doesnt seem to have worked either .... the computer shuts down and i did not see any reasons or addresses of where this error occured ... unless i am missing something and you have to go to a specific file to see what the error is then i dont think there is any differences.

Maxx_Fire
23rd Oct 2006, 19:50
When the PC switches off, when you put it back on go in to the system bios (usually by pressing [del] or [delete]) and check the temperatures just to be sure.

failing that, if you have added new parts for your PC recently you may be under powered or it could just be a problem with your power supply in general. If possible, try swapping the power supply for a different one. Games don't make PC's switch off, hardware does! ;)

Major_A
23rd Oct 2006, 22:19
Sounds like bad RAM or an inadaquate power supply. I'd start with the RAM, it's the easiest to check. If you have a floppy disk drive download Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) and let it run overnight. If you don't own a floppy download the ISO version of Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html) and burn it to a disk. From there select Memtest86+ and run it. Allow it to run overnight and see if you come up with any errors.

If you don't have any errors I'd see if your motherboard supports Motherboard Monitor and allow it to log temperatures and voltages to see if anything is high/low.

Shin
23rd Oct 2006, 23:01
Hmm .... ok i will try out this "ultimate boot CD" and post what happens shorty (in about a day or two, very busy at the moment)

and thank you both for your help so far :)

Shin
25th Oct 2006, 17:33
ok .. im now convinced that the problems with the game are because of the cooling system in my computer .. for some strange reason just cause heats up my system a hell of alot very quickly ... and i believe this is the cause of the crashes .... anyways ive decided to ditch my attempts of trying to get it to work on my pc ... and im probably just gonna try and exchange it for the Xbox version .. anyways thanks for all your help guys.

Major_A
26th Oct 2006, 21:39
Did you monitor temperatures or voltages? Honestly this game isn't that demanding and runs better on my computer than say Far Cry. That game is 2+ years old and doesn't use HDR unless you manually make it. While this game isn't a slouch it isn't Oblivion.

qotifrez
16th Nov 2006, 18:04
I installed Just Cause, and startede playing it. It worked all fine in the beginning. But now when I play like 5 minutes, the whole computer crashes suddenly. No error messages or anything.

My PC: (parts are built and chosen by pros..)

-MSI K9N SLI Platinum,nForce 570 SLI,ATX, Socket AM2,2xGbLAN,DDR2,Firew,2xPCI-Ex16
-Samsung SpinPoint P120S 250GB SATA2 8MB 7200RPM
-Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/fan
-Gainward GeForce 7950GX2 1GB,1.4ns GDDR3,PCI-Express,"BP7950GX2-1000-TV-DD",HDCP
-Vantec USB2 card reader 3.5" black /sølv, for CF I/II,SM,MMC/SD,MS,xD
-Tagan TurboJet 900W, Dual 80mm fan, 6xSATA, 4xPCI-E, ATX/EPS, 20/24pin
-NEC DVD-burner ND-3550 IDE Silver OEM DVD+R/+RW/DVD-R/-RW (Dual layer)
-Samsung 19" LCD Syncmaster 940BF TCO-99 700:1, DVI-D, 2ms, 1280x1024

I can't see why this happens to me. I have a great computer, and i play battlefield 2, counter strike-source, oblivion, Half Life 2, Americas Army, Call of Duty 2, etc...

But the computer shuts down whenever I play Just Cause or Diablo 2 for like 5 minutes.

Someone please help me, I can't figure out the problem..

Major_A
17th Nov 2006, 06:29
Try running Memtest86+ overnight and see if any errors are reported. You will want it to run at least 6 hours. If you get an error have one of your "pros" adjust your RAM timings and/or RAM voltages.
http://www.memtest.org/

Disaster100x
31st May 2007, 14:03
It seems that there are two possible problems. One is that it might be because of the dual core and the second is a compatibility issue. I'm leaning more along the lines of dual core since everyone who has reported this issue happens to have a dual core. I myself have the following: MSI K8N DIAMOND MOBO, AMD X2 4200+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR, CORSAIR XMS PLATINUM RAM (2x512MB), SUNBEAMTECH 550W PSU, X800XL 256MB GRAPHICS CARD, 2x250GB SATA RAID0 HARDDRIVES, WINDOWS XP PRO WITH SP2.
When I got frustrated with this problem I figured I would try this anyway. There's a program called imagecfg.exe which allows you to save settings for other programs to use both your cores or just a certain amount. I used it to set Just Cause to load only on one core and I also went to the shortcut I had on my desktop and right clicked>>properties>>combatibiliy>>Check run this in compabillity mode and select windows 2000
after I did both of those, I had no issues anymore and no more crashes.
P.S. - Even though I set it only to one core, I was still able to play it on full graphics with no lag at all and everyone else on this post has an even better rig than I do so you shouldn't struggle either :lmao:

ALSO: link for imagecfg - http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

thekempfactor
3rd Jul 2007, 00:02
I don't normally participate in many forums, but this issue is really strange. I'm seeing a very similar issue.

My system,

Core 2 Duo E6400
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard (122-CK-NF68-A1)
2G of Corsair XMS memory (TWIN2X2048-6400C4)
2 x 250G WD sata hard drives
600 watt Thermaltake power supply (W0129RU)
1 * EVGA 7950GT 512mb (512-P2-N637-AR)

At first, the game would freeze at a particular cutscene and then report an error. Then, last night, the whole computer randomly restarted. Today, when I went to open the game, the computer restarted before the menu even loaded. Normally I would agree that this is a hardware issue, but I've spent a lot of time verifying that my system is completely stable. I have never had any issue like this with any other game. Oblivion, Rainbow Six Vegas, Stalker, Supreme Commander, Far Cry, and Half Life 2 are all games that I have run recenly with no issues. I have also run 3dmark06 several times with no problems. I have run intense stress tests to monitor my system temperatures (I have no stock heatsinks in my computer). Running 2 instances of prime95 with 100% cpu utilization for over 24 hours reported no errors with a max temp of 46c for the cpu. I have also run 2 instances memtest for about 12 hours with no errors. My graphics card will hit temps as high as 75c under heavy stress. Just Cause doesn't put it nearly this high. I'm not trying to rule out that this could be a hardware problem, but I'm guessing not right now. I'm going to do some more testing and see if I can figure anything out. Sorry for such a long post.