PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider - Retrospec

KDM
19th Oct 2006, 17:19
Hello :)

I'm currently working on a retro version of tomb raider, just for a bit of fun and thought I'd ask around just to see what people think about it.

Its the original tomb raider game converted to a text-based adventure game, the sort that were popular in the early 80's

I did think about doing TR2 as that has a good story, or doing something original, but then, what with the tenth anniversary I thought what better one to do than the original.

The finished game will be a multi-load adventure that will run on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum computer - or emulater, each level from the game will be a single level load, that way there will be no danger of missing anything out.

What do you think?

KDM

RuumTaedor
19th Oct 2006, 18:18
Hi KDM. Sounds cool. Sorta like those, what were they called, those Zork adventures. Using a Sinclair emulator sounds interesting, but is there a free Sinclair emulator, and how difficult would it be to install the emulator and run your program? Is there a Sinclair emulator for the Mac? I guessing your program would be mostly text input and text output, so you might want to consider a more modern and cross-platform language. Still, a neat idea. :thumbsup:

KDM
19th Oct 2006, 20:03
Hiya

The game will be very much like the Zork games, and you will be pleased to know that there are a large number of free ZX Spectrum emulators out there for both PC and MAC - The reason I chose the ZX Spectrum as the platform is personal interest ( I used to own one in the 80's ) plus the software I'm using to write the game ( The Professional Adventure Writer ) is for that machine :D

SethKoopa
20th Oct 2006, 09:15
I've no idea how this will work but I would advise either the original or the Last Revelation for story pick.

zx beccy
20th Oct 2006, 10:37
Hello there! :)

This sounds FANTASTIC!
And Seth Koopa is spot on. Either the original game or TR4 would make excellent Text adventure games as their stories are so deep and rich for this type of project.
Personally I would go for TR1, it's the first and has a fantastic story - you could also include non-playable levels from the first game, for example the raid on Natla's office that you only saw in a cut scene.

Being a bit of a speccy fanatic ( hence the handle! ) i would also reccomend checking out www.worldofspectrum.org as their forums are full of helpful bods ( like me :nut: ) and also www.sage-adventures.co.uk as I'm sure they would LOVE to talk to you about your project.... in fact i'm even sure they are going to PM you about it!

ALL THE BEST AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR A DEMO!!

ZedExBex :D

Mangar The Dark
20th Oct 2006, 14:34
Cool idea... good luck with it.

There are free text-adventure writers for Windows, though, and you'd probably reach a wider audience using one of them (that way people wouldn't have to install an emulator just to play your game.)

Another thing I'd like to see someone do (or I'd do it myself if I had any artistic talent)-- a 2D point & click graphic adventure of Tomb Raider. There's a really cool free program called "Adventure Game Studio" that let's you design games just like those old LucasArts/Sierra games, and someone with a bit of artistic talent could probably make an interesting TR game with it. (I tried once, but became quickly discourage when all my background art looked it was drawn by a blind 3-year old.)

THE True Lara
20th Oct 2006, 14:40
emulator... I still own a ZX Spectrum! :D

It's a fun idea, but it seems a bit odd to me as aren't you taking away what made TR so revolutionary to start with... :scratch:

KDM
20th Oct 2006, 18:45
emulator... I still own a ZX Spectrum! :D

It's a fun idea, but it seems a bit odd to me as aren't you taking away what made TR so revolutionary to start with... :scratch:

The finished version should work on a real spectrum too, so you're covered :p

Tomb Raider was revolutionary, but since then we've had sideways scrolling tomb raider on the Game Boy, much weeker sideways scrolling action on the sky interactive game, a board game, a card game... heck, I've even seen a strange maze version of tomb raider written on a scientific calculator.

The idea got started with the tenth anniversary remake, I got thinking, what would tomb raider have been like if it had been written ten years in the other direction. And the rest is history.

Level one is coming along nicely and should be ready by christmas.

stay tooned :)

ambrosia
29th Oct 2006, 14:07
Another thing I'd like to see someone do (or I'd do it myself if I had any artistic talent)-- a 2D point & click graphic adventure of Tomb Raider. There's a really cool free program called "Adventure Game Studio" that let's you design games just like those old LucasArts/Sierra games, and someone with a bit of artistic talent could probably make an interesting TR game with it. (I tried once, but became quickly discourage when all my background art looked it was drawn by a blind 3-year old.)

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I have no idea what a text adventure is, but... is this anything like the new TR dvd adventure coming out? When I read your reply it remided me of the dvd adventure.