PDA

View Full Version : If you are recieving a Vertex error when launching Just Cause

PinCushion
10th Oct 2006, 22:29
I have been trying to do some additional research into this error. At this time I could really use your help. Of all the people that are recieving the Vertex Shader Error with the retail version of the game; do you have a CD or DVD burner? And if so what burning software are you using?

Blabla-ERROR!!!!-_-
11th Oct 2006, 15:16
CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116

PinCushion
12th Oct 2006, 21:07
Ive tried installing all of the software people have reported they have had installed when they recieve this error. So far I have installed Roxio easy media Creator 7.5, CDBurnerXP Pro 3.0.116. Neither of these have had errors. Sonic Record Now is another software suite I have not had a chance to install.

I have had one report of uninstalling the burning software and Just Cause, and after reinstalling Just Cause they were able to launch and run the title.

If there are any other suggestions out there Im willing to try them.

Crypton
12th Oct 2006, 23:06
Besides Sonic Recorder, see if Winamp (latest) full has any issue. It installs the burning drivers from Sonic Solutions. I use Winamp 5 but not had any issues, never know however.

Green Chili
15th Oct 2006, 20:23
I also get these errors whenever trying to start the game:

Pixel shader error! (1): error X2001: shader version expected, and
Vertex shader error! (1): error X2001: shader version expected, and

Of course I do have a DVD burner, the only burning software installed is Nero Express 6.3.1.20.

Video card is a GeForce 6600GT, which should be sufficient.

intrepid_soul
17th Oct 2006, 00:33
Try uninstalling Nero and see if that changes anything. I found this thread on a blog today:

http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/2006/09/dell-xps-m1210-games.html

Are the people recieving this error only on laptops?

DipSet
17th Oct 2006, 01:09
im on a lappie and am getting the shader error is there any way around this i could reward the person with cash? to assist me in making this game work correctly

intrepid_soul
17th Oct 2006, 15:38
im on a lappie and am getting the shader error is there any way around this i could reward the person with cash? to assist me in making this game work correctly

None of our games were designed or tested on laptops so results may vary. Its not to say they won't work, its just saying laptop hardware is is sometimes too unique.

What type of video card do you have? You can check this by going to start, run, and type in DXDIAG, select OK and then click on the Display tab, and report back what the Name of the device is.

Green Chili
18th Oct 2006, 22:31
No, that did not change anything (except that I now have to reinstall Nero and look for my d**n serial number somewhere...)

Try uninstalling Nero and see if that changes anything. I found this thread on a blog today:

http://lordoftheping.blogspot.com/2006/09/dell-xps-m1210-games.html

Are the people recieving this error only on laptops?

leex
19th Oct 2006, 10:49
i have a fresh install of XP

no cd drive
no dvd drive
no dvd/cd authoring software

I have Itunes/Quicktime installed
I have my drivers installed

I have vertex/shader error X2001

I don't see how this problem has anything to do with cd/dvd auth software

Can someone please help me!!

Maxx_Fire
19th Oct 2006, 13:06
i have a fresh install of XP

no cd drive
no dvd drive
no dvd/cd authoring software

You have no CD or DVD drives? How are you able to get the game running without the disc inserted? :scratch:
hmmm....

leex
20th Oct 2006, 11:57
I launch the game from a network drive and it works fine on my other computer

leex
20th Oct 2006, 13:32
can we at least confirm wether this is a driver, directx or missing files issue?

Duplo
21st Oct 2006, 13:59
Hi. I too get the shader messages when trying to launch JC.
I am on a stationary computer.
Specs: MSI kt6 delta w/ AMD XP1800 and 512 RAM, ATI x800 GTO, Win XP/sp2
Just installed latest drivers from ATI (catalyst 6.9), problem still occurs.
However, I use Deamon Tools as I dont have a DVD drive in my computer :( I have a crappy LG CD-burner from the stoneage though.
Also tested with install through network drive, but with no luck.
Could it be related to me having Deamon Tools installed? A friend of me downloaded the game, and he playes it fine. He use DT or something too.

Green Chili
21st Oct 2006, 19:38
No, DT is not the problem - I also deinstalled DT and tried again, no difference at all. Same as Nero. Has to be some other problem.

By the way, just upgraded Mainboard & CPU (no, not because of Just Cause, but because of Gothic 3, a game that works just fine from the start), also no change...

Maxx_Fire
22nd Oct 2006, 02:11
I launch the game from a network drive and it works fine on my other computer

Can you confirm if the PC you are on now has the latest DirectX 9.0c build installed? and if the other PC you are running the game has the latest build?

Latest build was released on 10/10/06

It's hard to tell as Microsoft doesn't change the version numbers afaik...

You can check the dates of the directX files on the DirectX files tab in dxdiag. Most specifically the "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll" and "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll" files.

I have a hunch that there may have been a change in one of the DirectX build updates lately which is affecting how the pixel shader is being recognised with certain graphics cards. (generally those in the nVidia 6500+ range (and some equivelant ATi cards)).

I may be completely wrong on this but it's worth looking in to. I've followed a line of research which has lead me from the error message recieved to HLSL and MDX. MDX2 is being scrapped forcing devs to go back to MDX1.1 standards (which, as far as I can tell, changes the format for identifying pixel shaders etc), then on to MS's XNA, how much of this has changed already I don't know...

Here's some links with food for thought :D

http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/sdk/readmepage/default.aspx - This is only the info on the new SDK for DirectX but it's quite clear what is going to happen in the future
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D - DirectX wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Level_Shader_Language - HLSL wiki (Higher level shader language)
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=366243&whichpage=1&#2411793 - The page that started me off! :lmao:

Hope this is of some help! :D

cipirix
24th Oct 2006, 21:25
Hi.
i have the same error problem. I've tried the game on windows xp SP2 with the directX 9c update from microsoft site, latest drivers (chipset and video) and on windows xp 64 bit edition with the latest drivers for it.
I'm having the same problem.
The windows is fresh, no software are installed except the drivers. Anny ideas. :confused: :mad2:

intrepid_soul
24th Oct 2006, 21:32
Hi.
i have the same error problem. I've tried the game on windows xp SP2 with the directX 9c update from microsoft site, latest drivers (chipset and video) and on windows xp 64 bit edition with the latest drivers for it.
I'm having the same problem.
The windows is fresh, no software are installed except the drivers. Anny ideas. :confused: :mad2:

XP 64 isn't supported, so I wouldn't have any information on how to get it running. Are you saying you are getting the same error in xp 64 and xp?

Maxym
26th Oct 2006, 04:35
The vertex / pixel error x2001 whatever it say's

-XP SP2
-Oct 11th dated directx9.0c install
-tried with all latest windows updates, as well as a fresh copy of winxp SP2 without updates, and then updating it again on fresh side. (4 different installs of Just cause pre format / post format, pre driver / post driver)

-a second different driver for video / sound / motherboard chipset's
- random programs like nero obviously don't matter as problem persist's after a fresh format
- the store won't give me a refund

Worst game ever. Don't tell me to buy a new PC as that's totally unaccaptable for a game i paid good $ for. Dont tell me to try another driver cause i've tried every single possible thing on my end. 6800 is clearly supported by this game. Or is that false advertising?! I have no intention of buying new hardware just to make this basic game work. I mean it's not like you guys are designing an entire 3d engine from scratch right?!?!

And from what ive read this is only one of the numerous issues you guys have!! Stop making excuse's and blaming us, clearly something is wrong with the game, you can't find it the issue to patch it, your fault. Least you can do is make an official statement and apologize for screwing up?!. I thought BF2142 was bad with all the patchs/bugs, at least they can fix/find them.

intrepid_soul
26th Oct 2006, 21:31
The vertex / pixel error x2001 whatever it say's

-XP SP2
-Oct 11th dated directx9.0c install
-tried with all latest windows updates, as well as a fresh copy of winxp SP2 without updates, and then updating it again on fresh side. (4 different installs of Just cause pre format / post format, pre driver / post driver)

Excellent troubleshooting here!

-a second different driver for video / sound / motherboard chipset's
- random programs like nero obviously don't matter as problem persist's after a fresh format
- the store won't give me a refund

Worst game ever. Don't tell me to buy a new PC as that's totally unaccaptable for a game i paid good $ for. Dont tell me to try another driver cause i've tried every single possible thing on my end. 6800 is clearly supported by this game. Or is that false advertising?! I have no intention of buying new hardware just to make this basic game work. I mean it's not like you guys are designing an entire 3d engine from scratch right?!?!

And from what ive read this is only one of the numerous issues you guys have!! Stop making excuse's and blaming us, clearly something is wrong with the game, you can't find it the issue to patch it, your fault. Least you can do is make an official statement and apologize for screwing up?!. I thought BF2142 was bad with all the patchs/bugs, at least they can fix/find them.

I would hate to buy a game from any company that would suggest buying a new computer every game that came out. The 6800 is supported, infact the computer directly accross from me has a 6800 and runs the game fine. We have, and are currently trying to figure it out. I can only assume you mean we ask people to try things, and you take that as us blaming them for the problem. We are in the dark on this issue. We have tried this on numerous computers worldwide and an Eidos employee has yet to see this, which is frustrating on our end because we know this problem exists, but we can't get any hands on experience with it.

If you have been watching the threads on this issue you will see that we are trying to gather as much information as possible, so far there is no commonality among the affected systems.

Sobek
2nd Nov 2006, 04:34
Hey guys, i'd like to suggest something that I hope someone here with this issue could try.

First of all, if someone could grab the application 3danalyze from here (click on the large image to start the download, once the page has loaded) : http://www.tommti-systems.com/main-Dateien/files.html - Next, grab all of the latest DirectX9 DLL's from this site http://www.shdon.com/view?doc=d3dx (the first one is the one you want, 24 through 29) These DLL's come with an automatic installer. *edit*, feel free to try loading the game after installing these...if it still fails, continue on ;)

Once you have 3dAnalyze downloaded and extracted, run it. Once it's open, click 'Select EXE', and select the JustCause.exe in the Just Cause folder (Program Files\Eidos, etc if you used the default directory). Now enable the following settings as I have in this picture (ignore the JustCauseDemo.exe file, had to open something to ungrey the options)

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8321/cmr05testdo3.jpg

Then hit 'Run' below the 'Select' button. If the game fails to load, or if it produces random errors or glitches, untick the 'Force Low Precision Pixel Shader' option and try it again. Another thing to try is to tick the box labelled "Force Max Pixel Shader version 1.4". Hopefully that can make a difference. If not, i'll keep at it tonight.

One other thing I was wondering, has everyone verified that AGP Texture Acceleration, Direct3d Acceleration, and DirectDraw Acceleration is enabled in DXDiag? Start->Run->dxdiag->Display tab. If not, attempt to enable them, if you can't, you'll need to uninstall and reinstall your chipset drivers.

I know this is all a lot to stuff around with, but at least it's something, and it might just provide insight on a possible solution. Let us know how it goes!

Maxym
3rd Nov 2006, 08:15
- same error after the new dx9 DLL install
- same error with 'Force Low Precision Pixel Shader' on/off
- same error with "Force Max Pixel Shader version 1.4" on/off
- same error for both above settings inputting the vendor/device id
did it two times around with the vendor/device ID once set to 0, once set to the radeon9800 numbers pointed out, was abit confused as i dont have a 9800 etc, but did it all once with the way the picture was anyway.

Did DXDiag and those 3 settings under display are enabled. (didn't have to enable those at all)

Green Chili
5th Nov 2006, 22:14
So I gave it try, downloaded the demo, installed it - and it starts up just fine! With the full version - no chance, just those shader errors...

intrepid_soul
8th Nov 2006, 16:47
So I gave it try, downloaded the demo, installed it - and it starts up just fine! With the full version - no chance, just those shader errors...

This is what we are seeing. It defies all logic. We are still trying to figure it out though we are running out of ideas.

mhaswell
11th Nov 2006, 16:04
This is what we are seeing. It defies all logic. We are still trying to figure it out though we are running out of ideas.

It is very annoying to have a new game that I can't play (since it came out I've been lurking here and waiting for anything from my customer support case) but I realise this one must be hard to diagnose. Is there anything I can run to help support with this?

I'm running a Windows MCE (basically SP2 - latest patches) on a Core Duo 6400, 2gb RAM, GeForce 7900 GT (nv4_disp.dll is version 6.14.0010.9147).

Latest directX - dxdiag shows no errors - all the graphics tests are successful - I'm willing to send the report if that helps?

Or if you have any debug versions or tools that may help then I'm willing to run them.

I'll run the analyzer (Sobek's post) and post my results here.

daveyb66
13th Nov 2006, 11:48
Does anybody think it could be a faulty batch of discs? I remember when one of the Tiger Woods games came out and I got that on the first day of release too and it turned out there was a nasty bug which stopped you completing it.
Just a thought

p.s. I got mine from Play.com anyone else?

windozaru
4th Jan 2007, 22:44
I bought a brand new AMD64 3000+ and Geforce 7900GT, 1Gb dual 800 ddr2 and winxp32 and as you already have guessed the stupid game is not working. I get the P/V error and i'm sick of it, i need solutions, why the hell you sell a game that is so utterly broken?????

intrepid_soul
4th Jan 2007, 23:39
I bought a brand new AMD64 3000+ and Geforce 7900GT, 1Gb dual 800 ddr2 and winxp32 and as you already have guessed the stupid game is not working. I get the P/V error and i'm sick of it, i need solutions, why the hell you sell a game that is so utterly broken?????

Technically we are not a retail company, so we don't sell anything here directly to the public. Forums actually propogate incorrect assumptions. For example, if I plug in the lastest game and double click the icon to play it and a message pops up,"U R Dumb, click okay to accept", if I post a message on a the company's message board the title will read something like,"Error when running the game" or "Game calls me Dumb when I try to play it." Now, people who are running the game just fine, with no errors will probably not click on that subject. However, people who recieve the same error will, and will testify to their experience. So, let time pass for say 3 months, in that time more and more people add to this thread. In the end anyone who has this issue see's the long list of responses, and makes the assumption there are alot of people with this issue. In reality many times in a forum thread there are several people responding multiple times, which adds to the post count, but not reported occurance count.

I have been on top of this error message from the first initial report I recieved from a customer. I have been sending out emails to various people who might have solutions or even ideas. Everything has come up empty. You can even look at some of these threads in this forum. After so many back and forth conversations many people simply give up. This sets back the troubleshooting procedure each time, since you have to eliminate the initial possible causes. I have been in communication with several Eidos offices through the world. There are reports of this issue coming from every where. The trouble is the were only coming in a few a week. In the end we probably only recieved 30 or so contacts about this issue, although new ones (such as yours) pop up from time to time. If you look at the bigger picture, and think of the thousands of copies of this game that are out there, 30 or so is hardly a epidimc.

Does this mean I am not still actively seeking a solution? Not at all! I am still in the hunt, but I have no new information. If only I could find a machine that I can reproduce the error in front of me, then I could really tear into it. Unfortunatly, all we have is screen shots submitted from users. We have been unable to reproduce this error internally. I will post a new reply to this thread giving an update of what we do know. Perhaps it will help on the search for a solution.

intrepid_soul
4th Jan 2007, 23:55
The Pixel Shader/Vertex shader error is the most complex issue I have ever seen, as it defies all logic.

Pixel Shader and Vertex shaders are parts to the video card, so our assumption has been, and still is there is something going on with the video card that is creating this error.

We have seen this error occur on both ATI and Nvidia cards. We have seen this error on older drivers, and newest drivers. A user contact us with a Nvidia FX 5800, which one of our support reps run here in the office. We thought Eureka, let's reproduce this. So we uninstalled the current driver and installed the same driver that the user was using. The game started with no problem.

In a bizzarre twist, people who can run the demo, get the message in the full game, but people who can get the message in the full game, cannot run the demo. Again, these results are not consist or any where near even 50% reproducibility.

Web searching turns up several programming pages where this error occurs in various areas, but the common solution is to change something in the programming environment. In the case of a shipped game there is no programming environment, and had this been a programming error, more then a small handfull would get this error.

One person reported uninstalling and reinstalling caused the game to work, but no one since then has had sucess with that solution.

We have tried closing background processes, disabling start up items, and lowering sound acceration. All having the same effect, nothing.

There seems to be a large percentage of users who have a DVD+R drive on their system, but again it defies logic as this error has been on systems without this equipment.

We have seen it on XP and XP MCE.

The newest avenue that I am exploring on new support tickets is examining system messages that are triggered by this error. I am also looking at lists of processes, so I can try to recreate the issue here.

In the begining we thought defective media, but so far no one replacing the disc has found success.

If anyone has any new ideas, or thoughts it would be really helpful if you spoke up. It goes back to the previous post though, for the most part only people who get this message will ever look in here. The usual reason for looking would be to find a solution, not recommend one.

intrepid_soul
5th Jan 2007, 00:42
I just heard back from someone that sent me copies of all their even logs. I noticed one thing strange. 2 minutes before the crash occured, the IMAPI service started and then stopped.

If you look at the order of events, you put in the disk and attempt to run it after clearing out all the messages 2 minutes would have passed if not more. So if you are recieving the pixel shader error, try this:

Right Click on My Computer
Select Manage
The Computer Managerment program should load
In the left hand pane click the plus next to Services and Applications
Highlight the Services selection
Find the Service that is called: "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
Please note what it is currently set to: I.E. Manual, Automatic, or disabled
Double click this line, it should open up a properties box
Set the setting to disabled
Restart the computer and try the game again

Report back your findings, but remember to go back into this program and reset the setting back to what it was.

aitzaz
5th Jan 2007, 11:52
I have installed a fesh copy of Xp(SP2).then installed the game ...i didnt even installed drivers and then ran the game it goes fine till then untill first mission starts after sometime pc crashes with BSoD and the error i get is about pixel shadder ... i installed the latest drivers 93.71 which crashes the game even in the start of the loading of the new game ... can anyone explain please i use FX 5200 ......... ps i have tried the above thingy to no use !

windozaru
5th Jan 2007, 14:27
I just heard back from someone that sent me copies of all their even logs. I noticed one thing strange. 2 minutes before the crash occured, the IMAPI service started and then stopped.

If you look at the order of events, you put in the disk and attempt to run it after clearing out all the messages 2 minutes would have passed if not more. So if you are recieving the pixel shader error, try this:

Right Click on My Computer
Select Manage
The Computer Managerment program should load
In the left hand pane click the plus next to Services and Applications
Highlight the Services selection
Find the Service that is called: "IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service"
Please note what it is currently set to: I.E. Manual, Automatic, or disabled
Double click this line, it should open up a properties box
Set the setting to disabled
Restart the computer and try the game again

Report back your findings, but remember to go back into this program and reset the setting back to what it was.

Ok I did exactly that and no change whatsoever, i still get the illogical P/V error. The only thing I have in common with the other people that reported this is an ASUS M2N-E mamaboard.
I reinstalled the game as well and also no change. I'm all out of solutions here, my computer is brand new so it should definately work, i have the latest drivers to all and a creative live 5.1 audio card. :mad2:

intrepid_soul
5th Jan 2007, 17:13
Ok I did exactly that and no change whatsoever, i still get the illogical P/V error. The only thing I have in common with the other people that reported this is an ASUS M2N-E mamaboard.
I reinstalled the game as well and also no change. I'm all out of solutions here, my computer is brand new so it should definately work, i have the latest drivers to all and a creative live 5.1 audio card. :mad2:

Thanks for trying that out. I didn't think it would make a difference but the only thing that showed up on the event log was that service starting up.

If you're game, try this download this program:

http://www.3dfxzone.it/dir/tools/3d_analyze/

It's a tool to emulate various graphic options, for example Pixel Shader Support, or vertex shading. Someone pointed this out as a "fix" to get Lego Star Wars to run on non-supported video cards. Try following the steps for that workaround and see what happen with this game. Ofcourse substitute Just Cause for Lego Star Wars:

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=223

intrepid_soul
5th Jan 2007, 17:16
I have installed a fesh copy of Xp(SP2).then installed the game ...i didnt even installed drivers and then ran the game it goes fine till then untill first mission starts after sometime pc crashes with BSoD and the error i get is about pixel shadder ... i installed the latest drivers 93.71 which crashes the game even in the start of the loading of the new game ... can anyone explain please i use FX 5200 ......... ps i have tried the above thingy to no use !

So you were able to install the game and get to the first mission. Interesting. When you say the game crashes when the start of the loading of a new game. Are you meaing you were able to get to the main menu of the game? Or are you talking about double clicking the icon on your desktop.

aitzaz
5th Jan 2007, 17:35
sorry my english is a lil bad i use the origianl set of drivers provided by service pack 2. i started the game through the main menu and then selected new game .The movie loaded and the game started when i have to jump using a parachute but a 30-40 seconds later the game crashed with the blue screen of death ...when it restarted they show me the message of the error report and asked me to choose between sending the report or not ...the report clearly reffered to error in vertex shader

when i installed the most recent drivers for fx 5200 and then it didnt even loaded and crashed during loading with blue screen

pmlogg
5th Jan 2007, 21:03
I have read with interest the 2 pages of messages on this subject. My son's game still refuses to play despite us taking the various bits of advice offered.

My computer meets the specs required of this game and it plays many others just fine, including ones installed on Christmas day for my children. You have said that only a small number of people have reported problems. What proportion have you been able to rectify? None of those on this forum.

If you can't figure it out from where you are perhaps you should send a member of EIDOS' staff to one of the people with a problem. Then you could witness the problem in person rather than spending almost 3 months failing to resolve it.

Furthermore, it is time for a change in the way games are sold. If they don't work we should be able to take/send them back for an immediate refund. That's what happens with every other product.

aitzaz
6th Jan 2007, 14:11
guys i may look stupid as i am not fully aware of the stuff but the thing is simple most people had crashing problems in hitman blood money untill a patch came out which disable shadder so cant v disable it it might prevent crashing

somuchforfreespeech
6th Jan 2007, 21:50
hi guys
i've been having the same problem with the shader error message despite matching or bettering the stated specs.
after trying a few suggestions on these forums the way i got around the error message was to download the drivers for my graphics card from the manufacturer (connect3d) - not the chipset manufacturer (ATI).

after an uninstall and reinstall the game now advances to the first loading screen and crashes when the bar reaches 100% - doh.

any help on this stage would be greatly appreciated...

remember to report back any successes you have - the support team needs to know what does and doesn't work before they can get a patch out

tdakhdj
7th Jan 2007, 15:50
We got the same pixel/shader errors and some other errors as so many people did when we tried to install and load the game. We could load the demo and play it fine. I read all of the post and we researched on the internet. We checked out DirectX, etc. We have had the game since it was released and had given up until last night when I mentioned I had read that the Nero software had caused problems for someone. We uninstalled the Nero software and the game installed, loaded and we are now able to play it. I have an HP Pentium 4, 1.8 ghz, ATI Radeon 9550. That may not solve the problem for everyone but it helped us.

windozaru
7th Jan 2007, 19:03
We got the same pixel/shader errors and some other errors as so many people did when we tried to install and load the game. We could load the demo and play it fine. I read all of the post and we researched on the internet. We checked out DirectX, etc. We have had the game since it was released and had given up until last night when I mentioned I had read that the Nero software had caused problems for someone. We uninstalled the Nero software and the game installed, loaded and we are now able to play it. I have an HP Pentium 4, 1.8 ghz, ATI Radeon 9550. That may not solve the problem for everyone but it helped us.

this is an instalation error and it has nothing to do with video problems p/v error.

ikillclowns
11th Jan 2007, 07:52
Hi,

In South Africa bought a copy of just cause yesterday and experienced same errors...demo worked fine but retail version gave me the same errors...could not be bothered with the solutions posted here...dvd writer this and that test program....test this test that and the best buy a new PC ! too much effort for what it's worth.

My specs:
P4 2.8, MSI motherboard, 1.2 Gig Ram, Maxtor HDD and LG DVD writer (lightscribe) using nero. Nvidia 6800 XT 512MB WinXP SP2 latest drivers on all hardware.

Had a look at one of the threads from the eidos guys saying that none of the systems share a cominality....well we do

We all run WinXp SP2, which would include Windows Firewall, and some kind of antivirus....

My solution to the vertex/pixel shader error was as follows and this should help most of you...

Install the game and run if you get the errors do the following
- Open windows firewall if running and add the just cause executable file as well as the game game setup file(the one you use to configure the video etc) to the exeption list that was installed in the instal folder.
-Now disable antivirus
-Uninstall the game and re-install
-When installtion is complete and it asks you of you want to run just cause choose yes.

Game running fine now.....please let me know if this works for you too...

To Eidos...SOME FORM OF COMPENSATION WOULD BE APRECIATED took me 6 hours to find solution not 3 months

Regards,

somuchforfreespeech
16th Jan 2007, 03:13
note to patch developers (if any),
after trying a few changes to drivers recently i discovered that i received the p/v error message only when the avivo codec pack was installed with ATI's catalyst control center. on a custom install of the drivers the avivo pack can be deselected and left out of the installation.
sorry to those of you with other 3d card makes.

ovidiu_p00
24th Jan 2007, 15:55
Hello everyone,

I have a Hp Pavilion Laptop with integrated Intel chipsed 915 express 128MB(shared). I have a lot of problems with new games and i had problems with Just cause.

The solution for me was very simple: i downloaded 3d-Analyze last version and started making some modifications until the error stoped apearing. After some more changes i've got to the point where i had a black screen but the sounds loaded just fine.
So i thought i could search for a solution. I found it here. I configured 3d-analyze like one of teh guys here sugested and the game worked just fine.

The only problem i have now is that the game is moving too slow.

I do not know very much about programing but i guess that after all in some cases it is a video card problem!

ovidiu_p00
24th Jan 2007, 17:40
So the game works. congratulations you made a good game.

When the game get's crowded it runs very slow. I tried to set all the video settings to minimum or low but i have the same problem.

I am asking the experts arount here if you think i should try to change some more settings on 3d-analyze or some other program.
My configuration is:

System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Pavilion dv4000
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.80GHz
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Page File: 306MB used, 2134MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

ramsay75
5th Feb 2007, 21:19
im getting the shading an vortex error messages too. Sometimes the drive wont recognise the disc... im running a pc with radeon x600 and using sonic for burning help.. i really want to play this game
:(

ramsay75
6th Feb 2007, 00:39
download the 3dfxzone 3d analyzer as the moderator said...the game works!!!!!!! I was surprised myself...the videos between missions can be a bit a jittery but the gameplay itself is fine..good luck!!!!!!!! :nut:

Trebor901
20th Feb 2007, 18:49
Can you please say what options exactly you ticked to get it working?

This would be much appreciated :D

scmount
7th Mar 2007, 16:21
Is there a definitive solution to this highly annoying problem?:mad2: obviously anyone that finds one doesn't come back in here what works and what do you do exactly?:confused:

intrepid_soul
7th Mar 2007, 16:54
We have found that in the small portion that recieve this error if they use the 3d ANALYZE program from above, they are able to bypass the errors and play. And select the option: "Emulate HW TnL CAPS" and launch the game. It should work.

Now as everyone who has read many of my posts knows this issue makes no sense and this solution makes even littler sense. The video cards that this error shows up on support Hardware TnL, so why they would need a third party software to emulate it is beyond me.:mad2:

Apbolek
7th Mar 2007, 18:24
It Doesn't work for me. still the same problem

scmount
9th Mar 2007, 16:45
:( still not working, putting me right off pc gaming! might aswell just burn my money!

Trebor901
10th Mar 2007, 10:03
well especially if u bought it from Game cos u cant take it back cos their returns policy is the biggest load of bull**** ive ever seen in my life

REDPill357
19th Mar 2007, 21:55
Yeah, I'm getting the same thing too. The only catch here is that I bought the game off of Steam, and I'm getting the messages. When I tried to run the .bat files through 3D-Analyze, I got the message, "Could not find Steam."

windozaru
20th Mar 2007, 01:39
maybe in 1-2 years they'll release a patch that will solve the issue, be patient :lmao:

Trebor901
20th Mar 2007, 17:09
thats not the point. Game companies are gettin so lazy these days and this is 2 games now that Eidos have published that arent up to scratch. 1. RACE WTCC Game and then Just Cause

killgroup
25th Apr 2007, 15:50
Hey, well i know this post is rather old, i'm getting the same errors too, and i was just thinking to myself then, i tried just cause for 1hour, you know where you play for 60 minutes then you have to pay money to play the rest? well i played for 1 hour, no problems what so ever, it worked all fine and dandy, but to continue playing it was going to cost £30, so i decided to get a DVD copy from play.com and i get these vertex and pixel shader errors now.... So my guess is, is it to do with the DVD copies?

intrepid_soul
25th Apr 2007, 15:55
Did you uninstall the trial version first? Try uninstalling and reinstalling, if you had it working it should work just fine, the shder error usually is never fixed without the 3d analyze program.

killgroup
25th Apr 2007, 17:27
yes, i have uninstalled both the demo and the trial, and i still get the same erros, so thats why i'm confused :confused:

heavyaxle
15th May 2007, 01:51
SYSTEM SPECS: ASUS MAINBOARD.
3.0 Ghz pentium
2.5 Gb ram
Evga 7800 GS with onboard 256 ram. SUpports 3.0 shader model.

This is a game that I have been meaning to try for some time. I finally found it and I get a vertex shader error. I have tried the following:
1. Uninstall. Re-install
2. Try demo, demo works
3. Copy DLL's from demo to my Full version of just cause.
NOTE: My error changes now. Instead of a black screen and a pop-up with the vertex shader errors, the game doesn't launch, and has a regular windows pop-up that states I need to have a video card that support 1.1 shader model.
4. I have tried 3danalyze to no avail. emulate HW Tnl caps, or force 1.1, 1.4 shader, or skip 1.1 , 1.4 shader...... nothing worked.
5. HELP ME EIDOS-ONE-KENOBI YOU ARE MY ONLY HOPE!!!!!!!!!!

rjpj
22nd May 2007, 15:38
Well I was having this same Error Message come up, Tried everything, updates, 3d emulations(which worked but was rather buggy). So I went to circuit city, found a card that said pacificly that it was Shader 3.0 compliant or something along those lines. Put it in my pc and game went off without a hitch. Note that I can only play with everything on my pc closed, but I might just need a memory upgrade(running 512). But it worth the 50 bucks to go pick up a 256 card from circuit city. GeForce 6200 LE

rjpj
22nd May 2007, 15:41
http://forums.megagames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42521 Try the method in this thread, if this doesn't work, its not your graphics card upgrading would be useless. note the game will be unplayable with these settings but it will start up and show you that it is your graphics card and not the software

Taquitos
5th Jul 2007, 11:52
Just a thought... I know this is cross posting (sry) but maybe relevant. I had this error with the steam ver of the game. I got the error, nuked the game and reinstalled and then didn't touch any video settings (which I had done the first time).

Maybe there is a problem in the code that is triggered by switching resolutions. I even tried switching resolutions back but it wasn't untill I reinstalled that I got it working.

Have the guys testing this problem done this? I went straight to 1280x1040 cuz that's my monitors native resolution. I'm guessing a lot of other people would probably do the same.

If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry for wasting your time, but hey, it never hurts to throw it out there.

**Update** I tried changing the resolution and the game launched fine. I may be jinxing myself but I'm going to try and reproduce the error. (maybe it involves changing resolutions prior to first launch of the game?)

UberPwner
23rd Jul 2007, 06:32
Hey Guys, Know This Is An Old Thread, Just posting some info for the guys/girls

I bought the steam version of Just Cause. And Im Ticked Cuz I Used Up all My Internet to get it :(
I am on a Toshiba Laptop, But, Im not using Nvidia or AVI Cards.
Im Using a INTEL 945GM Express Chipset Family.
I am also running on Windows Vista [But i checked on a site that All Games On Steam Will Work With Vista]

So Now i Learn that i for a change are not the only one experenceing problems with Games.

I just find it very strange that i can do many other games, and not Just Cause.

Please Help, [would be much appreicated]
:)

P.S Sorry For Grammar/Spelling [Im shocking]

Cya

NeoRage
27th Jul 2007, 22:44
I'm assuming guys that there still is no solution? Just got this game after watching someone play it on 360. I'm very disappointed that there isn't even any patches out for the game yet.

got the same dam error

p.s. i have tried all fixes mentioned on this forum plus others. still can't start the game

sys stats

Win XP SP2
.net framework 1.1, 2 and 3
1.5 gb of ram
ATI 9800Pro 256 agp app 256
2046 mb virt mem
cat 7.7 drivers
dfi lanparty NF2 rev. b
AMD XP2600+

masterceo
1st Aug 2007, 14:24
guys, thats silly :lol:
why cant you just realase some kind of patch...
i love this game, cuz i played the demo
today i bought the full version, i've installed it and...ZONK!
problem with P/V shader, WTF?
i have a GF7900GT, along with AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+, 2 Gigs of ram and a MSI k9N Platinium motherboard, all my games run more than fine, why this piece of **** doesn't?
it says, that i don't have SM1.1, prffff:lmao: , my graphics card hass 3.0...
common boys, get to work, we're paying you to make a good game, and if it has problems-fix them with a PATCH, it doesn't take too long to make a patch, maybe 2 weeks, and after that you can go back to Hawaii and ignore us...but make a ^$@&*@ patch that will repair this 4^!&*&)^) game...

gosh, i'm sorry for that, but it freaks me out, that i can't play a game, that i have paid for...****

pls, guys, fix it ASAP!!!! It is really a great game, and i respect your job (thats why i didn't download the game [no serrial...] but i bought it, pls, help!!!!)

p.s.-I'm NOT playing on a laptop...Just Cause is the first game that i have problems with :(((((

Plasmoid
6th Aug 2007, 19:40
For what its worth...

I downloaded it using steam, it wasnt working on either of my two pc's.

I got annoyed, renamed the name of the "just cause" folder in steamapps/common to "just cause2", in steam tried to delete it (right clicked it, delete local content) then moved it back and tried to download it again (thinking it would just redownload the gcf's and verify the just cause folder contents.

It didnt, it went to download the whole thing again, but started at 20%. Messing about some more, by opening and closing steam a few times over two hours it eventually got back to 60% through downloading and i guess using the existing files. So i tried to launch it and instead of saying how long left to download, it launched, fine.

So i can only guess that reinstalling can work, but it is buggy as hell.

klines
13th Aug 2007, 13:16
I'm getting the same error. I just tried the demo yesterday, and that worked, then I paid $30 for the full game on Steam. And it doesn't work.

Update: I selected "verify game content" on the Steam menu, and it started the download again at 87%. When it was done I was able to play the game and it worked.

killgroup
15th Aug 2007, 00:25
Shouldn't we get our money back? Eidos has released a massive faulty batch(all their Just Cause games). We should theoretically get our money back because they've failed to provide.

Just reading back of book.

Eidos limited Warranty
Eidos warrants the original purchaser...(look at back of book, page 21)

So what if we purchased the game from the store "GAME" which doesn't offer money if you take back faulty goods, they will just continuously give you another game to try, because there so tight arsed that they think EVERYONE is gonna copy the whole game into their computer, mount it onto another disc, then take original back to shop...so petty.

Hmm...wonder if i'll be able to move all my files into steam, and try and get steam to comply with it :P

Everst
25th Aug 2007, 11:09
Well, i just redownloaded it via steam and its all good now, i changed the resolution during the startup and it's all gg. Im guessing a reinstall should work, as seein it worked with a few peps. :mad2:

killgroup
16th Nov 2007, 22:07
Oh, well i got it to work on about the third reinstall, i didn't change and video settings this time and it worked! But i was kind of disappointed :|. Its not as fun as i hoped, oh well, at least i can say i played it :P

zajko
6th Feb 2008, 06:38
******* thanks guys! I have reinstalled demo and no ******* vertex error. Many thanks (but I still think that Eidos do nothing) Try to reinstall, it may help;)
oh, btw, after this, i'm going going to buy this ******* amazing game, I love freefalls.:) :)
(Sorry for this post, but I'm ******* excited)

Apbolek
10th Feb 2008, 10:06
Maybe it will help tech guys

ok I had
GeForce 6200 GT
Athlon 2200+
512 Ram
Mainboard with nforce 2 chipset
I wasn't able to play this game because this ****ty error. I could play demo, but full game couldn't start
After some time I've changed the graphic card and now I have
GeForce 6600 GT Gainward
Still same error.
I've bought after some time 1 GB Ram
So now i have 1,5 GB Ram - Still same error.
Couple days ago i bought new processor.
Athlon 3000+ ( barton ) - STILL THE SAME ERROR !!!
So it is clear for me, that that game is colidating with mainboard chipset !!!
( I have the newest drivers, and directX 9.0c )
System of course Windows XP SP 2
And I was cleaning completely system after each hardware change.

Alinn
1st May 2008, 19:38
Yeaah...i have the same start up error of shader version and stuff, but what's really wierd is that some time ago i installed the game and played it for week without any problem then i decided to format my C partition and reinstall windows, then i reinstalled the game and i can't play it anymore :mad2: what has changed since the last Operating System is directx now i have the 10 version and nero 8...that's all, but i don't think it's from directx10 because all my other games work. IT'S REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATING!!!

jimmyz86
7th Dec 2008, 19:54
just bought the game i have a brand new hp pavillion a6519fh PC.
same shading errors as all the rest.
i have tried all the suggestion, except how about this one you should refund my money. if you guys are going to produce a game then figure out the problem ar recall and refund.... i would love to play the game so some help would be nice.....:mad2: :mad2:

jimmyz86
7th Dec 2008, 20:00
and from the looks of this forum eidos doesnt care because these post ere almost 6 months ago and seems to mee they are trying to just let us forget and move on , problem is they are still selling the game. so get off your behinds and help us solve this problem and fast:cool:

Mujibar
20th Jan 2010, 10:48
Aw come on, looks like a good game and I just spent $25 on the game. And they seem to be creating Just Cause 2, what the fu**? If you've got a prequel to a game thats absolute **** because the majority of people can't launch it, then its bound to die..

Either fix the damned bugs etc this game is riddled with, or pass it off so someone else can make it so other people can enjoy it.

jeremiah2012
11th Mar 2010, 00:35
sooooooooooooo eidos is just turning their back on us... wtf!!!!!!!!!!!! i just bought this game to get ready for just cause 2 and i get the same message every time i start it. i got the demo to see if my comp would run it and it did it ran it perfectly so i spent the $15 and then error everytime i start up and now to find out that no ones even trying to fix it this is complete crap. someone should at least be trying to help us out .........

ciberzombie
4th Oct 2012, 12:01
just instal/update directX from disc of just cause (it will not overwrite newer files only update older ones or instal ones that is missing) and game works.
had same problem with some other game that had more directX files on install media than in normal directX package.