PDA

View Full Version : Mouse/Keyboard Lag Unbearable

Major_A
9th Oct 2006, 19:02
I can hardly play this game at certain times. Sometimes it can take up to 5 seconds for the game to recoginze that I let off the gas or turned. I find myself ending up in the trees way too often. I just finished the mission where I needed to blow up the containers and hijack the "coca" truck and take it back for the boss. I was having such a hard time trying to keep the truck on the road it took 10 tries. I was hoping it was the game lagging but the police/milita were still raming me and firing while I was having issues.
Other times I can be running along and go to shoot someone and the same thing happens. It lags when I stop running, start running, go to shoot, or aim the weapon. The most frustrating thing is this happens 60% of the time. If it were 100% I could chalk it up to another issue or wait for a patch.

If this game doesn't have good support I could see it taking that same road as another game that seemed good but was unplayable due to bugs.
*cough*Boiling Point*cough*
I played that game a total of 5 times. I waited forever for a patch, installed the patch, did nothing for me and I uninstalled. Sold the game on ebay for $10 and moved on.

intrepid_soul
9th Oct 2006, 21:55
I waited forever for a patch, installed the patch, did nothing for me and I uninstalled. Sold the game on ebay for $10 and moved on.

As there hasn't been a patch I am wondeing what you are talking about here?

Major_A
9th Oct 2006, 22:19
As there hasn't been a patch I am wondeing what you are talking about here?
I was refering to another game, similar gameplay, unlimited potential that crashed and burned. I stated the game between my coughs.

I want this game to be playable and enjoyable. The one I listed was neither of the two.

Ranzou
10th Oct 2006, 20:49
I'm also having this same "dieseling" lag effect. Makes playing the game impossible. Apparently in Game Informer magazine's review this same problem existed in the XBox 360 version. This leads me to believe it is faulty programming.

I submitted a technical help email and was responded to by "update your video drivers." Of which I'll do, but then I'll also resubmit the problem. (I have yet to EVER see where a video driver update makes any visual difference on ATI stuff.)

Hopefully a patch will be out soon to address these issues. But ultimately they come down to sales. In this case I believe making a playable game would really help. Though it may already be to late for this games momentum, there is always the holiday crowd. Why ask Santa for a broken toy?

Major_A
10th Oct 2006, 21:46
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I posted the thread topic not to flame the game/devs/publisher but to see if anyone else was having the problem.

As far as updating your drivers is concerned it is a good idea. Every set of drivers comes with a readme that says what the new revision has fixed in the different games.

Strange that we are both having problems with different video card chipsets. Out of curiosity what are your system specs.

I have been having the mouse/keyboard lag in a few other games since I updated my machine from a VIA chipset with AGP to the ULI chipset with PCIe. I also read various places that the 7600GT has "stalling" issues. I did fix the mouse/keyboard lag in some games with a driver tweak. I also read that maybe a USB keyboard would help. I have one on the way and should be here by Thursday. If it doesn't work I'm only out $18.

Ranzou
10th Oct 2006, 22:14
I'm running:

AMD Athalon XP 3200
Asus A7n8x Deluxe 2.0
2x 512 Kingston HyperX DDR 333
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
Maxtor DiamondMax 200GB 8MB
Windows XP Home

Major_A
10th Oct 2006, 23:53
Thanks for posting but, we're not close. What about your mouse and keyboard? I'm using a USB laser mouse and PS2 keyboard. The only reason I ask is because I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Even though the game is 7GB I'm tempted to try it on my HTPC and see what happens. Now I need to pick a good time in between recordings and good stuff on TV.
Sempron 2800+ @ 2.0Ghz
512MB Corsair Value Series PC3200
ECS nForce 3A
eVGA 6800nu
Chaintech AV-710
Hauppauge PVR 150
Lite-On DVD Burner
Maxtor 60GB ATA133 - Primary (OS and SageTV)
WD 250GB SATA II - Storage For Recordings
Wireless KB and Mouse

Ranzou
12th Oct 2006, 03:22
I'm using:

Microsoft Trackball Explorer mouse (USB -> PS2)

Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard (USB -> PS2)

Belkin Nostromo N52 Game Pad

Major_A
12th Oct 2006, 04:43
Out of curiousity have you tried using them as USB only?

Major_A
13th Oct 2006, 18:13
*UPDATE*
I only played for 30 minutes with my new keyboard yesterday but the lag is gone. I don't really know how to explain it but the USB keyboard fixed it. I was having a similar issue in another game and now that game is working fine too. I guess I'll chalk it up to a bad PS2 connector on my motherboard.

pbeesley
16th Oct 2006, 13:20
(I ramble on a bit so just read the last sentance for my solution)

Ok I was having this problem as well with not only my wireless USB keyboard but alos my wired PS2 keyboard.

I sat thinking for hours about what was going wrong and why it was only in this game i was having problems with! :confused:

I tried reinstalling the game, i tried running it in lowest graphics, highest graphics, no sound, upside down.....everything. Updated the drivers for everything in my PC, removed all the microsoft updates I could.....reinstalled them all again....... :mad2:

And then it came to me the game was reading me pressing 'w' fifty times when i was only pressing it once..... A quick trip to my keyboard options later and we find that the 'repeat rate' and 'repeat delay' are up full. :whistle: I dropped them both done as low as they would go and bingo :D Game now works fine.

Quick Answer : drop the 'repeat rate' and 'repeat delay' in your keyboard options (found in control pannel)

:rolleyes: tada

intrepid_soul
16th Oct 2006, 16:31
Quick Answer : drop the 'repeat rate' and 'repeat delay' in your keyboard options (found in control pannel)

:rolleyes: tada

Welcome to the Akum's Razor that is tech support, the simplest answers usually are the ones that work. I had a friend who would experience horrible frame rate issues in a game he was trying to play. It ended up being the multimedia keyboard program that was installed with the driver. Its only job was to do something if the multimedia keys were hit. Closing that program out caused the game to run fine.

ghotten
17th Jan 2007, 20:53
my version doesn't lag... if i put the resolution on 800 x 600 that is. and judging by my GeForce 7300 graphics card i shouldn't have to do that.

13thGh0st
26th Jun 2007, 12:47
This may help.

Email sent to Logitech this morning: "First Off Apologies - I have found the fault and it WAS NOT Logitech Setpoint Drivers. Its was in fact a Utility which produces a "flip 3D" effect in XP named "Topdesk". Google does not produce this solution so my next step will be post up on forums i can find for keyboard lag. I noticed this is happening more and more and i think with the introduction of vista and its nice effects people are looking towards bolt ons for xp that do the same, as i have done - as it awaits in the system tray to render 3d effect it causing the fault, it needs terminating or reinstalling. Thanks for your help along the way, sorry i drew the wrong conclusion - just the way it appeared and the timing of installed apps strongly pointed to Setpoint Driver. "

Suggest you look for any similar apps in sys tray if not using topdesk. Kill everything you dont need, if it fixes the problem you know the culprit is in the startup/system tray.

13thGh0st

Sobaixu
24th Dec 2007, 05:08
I have the same issue with keyboard lag. However, with all games. And i do not use ATI Tools...
(Keys seem to "stick" for 2 - 10 seconds while moving in games.)

Win XP SP2
Asus P4P800SE Mobo
Intel 2.4 Ghz Processor
1 Gig of Ram
Nvidia Geforce 6600 GPU
Logitech USB Keyboard (w/media controls) and Optical Mouse.

Tried turning down the keyboard refresh rate and repeat rate.
Tried uninstalling videocard and keyboard/mouse drivers and installing new.
Tried setting games to lowest possible settings.
Tried upgrading BIOS to newest version, and testing different setting configs.
Tried increasing virtual memory.
Tried optimizing windows settings to best performance.
Tried a bunch of different games to make sure it wasn't just Oblivion.

I also read alot of forum posts about this... It seems this keyboard lag issue occurs in many games. Some ppl have found ATI Tools to be the cause, but many ppl reporting the same issue do not use ATI Tools, such as myself.

I have a hunch this may be related to Logitech auto-update software..
then again.. it could mean i just need a new hard drive :/

If anyone knows of a way to fix this please let me know!

CCJ
10th Jan 2008, 02:07
I won't be expecting a patch as they can't even be bothered to give support. This game is not worth your money.