PDA

View Full Version : Performance Issues

Hellfire5001
6th Oct 2006, 16:11
Hi

I own Just Cause for the PC, and I have a problem where the game seems to refuse to go above 25 fps whenever I'm not looking directly at the floor/sky. At a glance one would assume to believe this is a graphics problem, however I have this difficulty no matter what graphics settings I have the game on, and it's not like my card (Radeon X850 Pro) is unable to handle the game. I have a feeling that it's to do with the fact that I'm using Realtek AC'97 onboard sound, but after attempting to deactivate the sound acceleration and getting the same issue I'm not positive. Any ideas?

My spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256mb
1 gig ram
Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
Maxtor 150GB hard disk

You can generally see that my system is competent enough to run the game (or at least, it should be competent enough to run it;) )

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

Crypton
6th Oct 2006, 20:01
Hi

I own Just Cause for the PC, and I have a problem where the game seems to refuse to go above 25 fps whenever I'm not looking directly at the floor/sky. At a glance one would assume to believe this is a graphics problem, however I have this difficulty no matter what graphics settings I have the game on, and it's not like my card (Radeon X850 Pro) is unable to handle the game. I have a feeling that it's to do with the fact that I'm using Realtek AC'97 onboard sound, but after attempting to deactivate the sound acceleration and getting the same issue I'm not positive. Any ideas?

My spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256mb
1 gig ram
Onboard Realtek AC'97 Audio
Maxtor 150GB hard disk

You can generally see that my system is competent enough to run the game (or at least, it should be competent enough to run it;) )

Any ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks
I am not sure offhand, but, does your ATI Control Panel have the option to enable/disable VSync? If so, try turning it off. (forced off) I use mainly nVidia Cards so I am unsure of Catalyst setup. (though I do have a Radeon in another machine, ive not fooled with it enough to know what is there honestly.)

Also, what Refresh Rate are you running on your Monitor? And does ATI have forced refresh rate to override the refresh when in a game? if an option such as VSync is enabled, it will cap the FPS based on the refresh rate your running at. In such case higher usually means faster. If it is at 60Hz for example, that could possibly be the issue. (if your screen supports it, try 85+)

Hellfire5001
6th Oct 2006, 21:25
My monitor runs at 85 Hz, but I tried turning off VSync with ATI tray tools and I seem to have a good performance boost; most areas are functioning around 30 fps now, and even the denser areas seem to function better, thank you very much! :)

Crypton
6th Oct 2006, 23:25
My monitor runs at 85 Hz, but I tried turning off VSync with ATI tray tools and I seem to have a good performance boost; most areas are functioning around 30 fps now, and even the denser areas seem to function better, thank you very much! :)
no probs, glad to have helped. enjoy!