PDA

View Full Version : Will I be able to run it???

theymademedoit
2nd Oct 2006, 15:10
Hi,
I have installed the game on the back of a site which scanned my machine and it confirmed that I could run it and I have some probs........

It installs fine, the movie runs ok but it runs slow and the audio stutters.
Is there anything I can do or any settings I can fiddle with?

512MB
Geforce FX5200
3ghz Processor
Sata HD

Any help or advise will help me not to pull hair out of my already balding melon of a head!

Thanks,

aL:confused:

perseverance
2nd Oct 2006, 15:47
i'm sorry mate but i'm sure u will have no luck running it on a 5200

blakey83
2nd Oct 2006, 16:03
im not sure if 5200 has pixel and vertex shaders?:confused:

theymademedoit
2nd Oct 2006, 16:11
Hi,
Thanks for the response, I know my card is gash!
Any suggestions on a new one?

It nearly runs but just stutters a bit!
I can run certain games like Res Dogs no probs but I think I may have to bite the bullett!

HiCZoK4
2nd Oct 2006, 16:39
it will run yes but 5-7 fps max :(

Crypton
2nd Oct 2006, 16:40
Your card supports pixel and vertex shaders up to 2.0, however, FX Series cards (especially the lower version like the 5200) stress themselves alot trying to run 2.0. (Just so you know what your card supports in the future)

You will be able to run it, but given the Card, low ammount of memory. Not sure how well, it may run really slow, you can try setting GFX options all to low and turn off post processing (really where you will see pixel shaders effecting everything) Make sure to set Water to low, you can adjust it to med to see the effect it has on performance. I assume you have the 128MB model? Again, texture size you will want to set to low/med (low being the best bet)

Your CPU is good to go however, you may want to look into another 512MB RAM. And possibly upgrading to a 6800 or higher video card.

// Regards.

theymademedoit
3rd Oct 2006, 17:34
Hi,
Thanks for advise, I did what you said and lowered the settings and it runs fairly smooth with no sound probs.

I am new to the whole confiq of a graphics card so can anyone tell me a way to optimize it or test it to see if I am running it at its best performance?

Thanks,

alan

Ceano
3rd Oct 2006, 17:58
It's not just your video card, you need at least 1024Mb in memory to run any new games any good.

Crypton
3rd Oct 2006, 17:59
Hi,
Thanks for advise, I did what you said and lowered the settings and it runs fairly smooth with no sound probs.

I am new to the whole confiq of a graphics card so can anyone tell me a way to optimize it or test it to see if I am running it at its best performance?

Thanks,

alan
cool :)

As far as "tweaking" you may want to read the guides here:
http://www.tweakguides.com specifically this one: http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_1.html

Check the other guides there as well for tweaking your system. Be aware that some settings can have a negative effect on your performance based on the ammount of memory, ect.. your system has. So read carefully.

theymademedoit
3rd Oct 2006, 18:19
Thanks,
I will check it out.

I thought my card was 128mb but its 256mb

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+ (2079Mhz)
Service pack 2
Geforce FX 5200 (256MB)
512mb

Crypton
3rd Oct 2006, 18:27
Thanks,
I will check it out.

I thought my card was 128mb but its 256mb

AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2800+ (2079Mhz)
Service pack 2
Geforce FX 5200 (256MB)
512mb
:thumbsup: even better, Should be able to run the texture resolution up a bit higher than low. Will definately look a little better/sharper imaging. May cause a slight performance drop, try it and see.

theymademedoit
3rd Oct 2006, 18:33
Will do and will report back........

Crypton
4th Oct 2006, 00:08
Will do and will report back........
:thumbsup: cool, hope your able to sqeeze some extra juice from the card and/or system.

aafuss
9th Oct 2006, 18:07
Just Cause will run-but it will be slower than if you were using a newer graphics card, such as a GeForce 7 series good .

I've been able to play quite graphic intensive games (eg. MS Flight Simulator X) fine on my FX5200.

Crypton
10th Oct 2006, 02:33
Just Cause will run-but it will be slower than if you were using a newer graphics card, such as a GeForce 7 series good .

I've been able to play quite graphic intensive games (eg. MS Flight Simulator X) fine on my FX5200.
FSX isnt really gfx intensive, it just has a large ammount of terrain it loads. Compared to something like FarCry, X3, Oblivion, ect.. those are graphic intensive.

MS usually designs their games to run on medium to lower end system. As that is their gameplan to target as many possible customers as possible. Very seldom do they "go all out" with something asnd make it high end. Don't get me wrong, FSX looks good, but is far from gfx intensive.