PDA

View Full Version : Please insert the original disc instead of a backup (4001).

gamedude4993
2nd Oct 2006, 14:59
Just cause will not launch and gives me error 4001. The disk is the
original not a copy. Have disabled any virtual drives and uninstalled
their programs. Also tried the instructions in the link
http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=copy&c=4001 and found that DMA
was enabled, and I reinstalled Just Cause. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks, Daniel

gamedude4993
2nd Oct 2006, 16:29
please reply

Crypton
2nd Oct 2006, 16:43
Go into the games install folder, right click on the exe for the game "JustCause.exe" Choose Launch Analysis (make sure to insert your game dvd), it will create a file called "AnalysisLog.sr0" in the root of your C: drive (C:\AnalysisLog.sr0)

Email the file to support@securom.com

They can try to help you resolve the issue.

See this link for info on sending the file
http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis&l=en

Since the error is securom related, they will have to help you with it.

gamedude4993
3rd Oct 2006, 23:16
anybody else have this problem?

Xcom
4th Oct 2006, 00:31
Regardless of the problems, do not advocate obtaining no-cd patches, and especially, DO NOT post links to sites where you can get them. Thank you.

Rule #2: Do not post about or refer to warez, illegal software, or any product that promotes copyright infringement.

Do not link to illegal software, post about it, or suggesting getting it. Furthermore, we will not tolerate posts that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copy protection codes publicized. Any such post that promotes or informs someone about any product that is in a violation of a copyright will be removed from our forums immediately, and the appropriate action will be taken against the violator's account.

jo111
4th Oct 2006, 15:25
My problem was that SecuROM was simply crashing - an unhandled win32 exception. I phoned Eidos support, and they told me to email the people who wrote SecuROM. So I did that, but they couldn't help - the couldn't see anything wrong with the analysis file I sent them. Eidos support emailed me back today, 2 WEEKS after I emailed them, with a standard email asking a bunch of stupid questions.
I fixed the problem myself though, 2 weeks ago, without the 'help' of Eidos support.

It's all very well you telling people in a threatening manner not to mention cracks & the like, but if you can't help us get your games working, WHAT CHOICE DO YOU LEAVE US?
Live in the real world, Eidos. If your copy protection stops us playing a paid-for version of the game, you can't blame us when we have to bypass it to get the products we paid for to work.
I will not tolerate companies that sell me something that doesn't work, and have a go at me when I fix it. These are my Terms Of Use, which you agreed to when you sold me the product. Or didn't you see the smallprint?

WorkinfortheCIA
4th Oct 2006, 16:19
My problem was that SecuROM was simply crashing - an unhandled win32 exception. I phoned Eidos support, and they told me to email the people who wrote SecuROM. So I did that, but they couldn't help - the couldn't see anything wrong with the analysis file I sent them. Eidos support emailed me back today, 2 WEEKS after I emailed them, with a standard email asking a bunch of stupid questions.
I fixed the problem myself though, 2 weeks ago, without the 'help' of Eidos support.
It's all very well you telling people in a threatening manner not to mention cracks & the like, but if you can't help us get your games working, WHAT CHOICE DO YOU LEAVE US?
Live in the real world, Eidos. If your copy protection stops us playing a paid-for version of the game, you can't blame us when we have to bypass it to get the products we paid for to work.
I will not tolerate companies that sell me something that doesn't work, and have a go at me when I fix it. These are my Terms Of Use, which you agreed to when you sold me the product. Or didn't you see the smallprint?

QFT

*standing ovation*

Mike_B
4th Oct 2006, 16:36
jo111,

Me and Xcom do not work for Eidos and aren't related to them, what we do is monitor these forums according to the forum rules. The same rules that you read? and agreed with when you registered. I personally don't care if you use a crack however the discussion and links to them doesn't belong here.

DreamEndless
4th Oct 2006, 18:08
Most of the time this error is caused by Alcohol 120 or Daemon Tools. If you have either of these installed simply un-mount any images you may have loaded and restart the game.

You don't need to remove the software.

Wrath_of_hitman
4th Oct 2006, 23:14
at the end it's not about protection,i got more than 10 games installed on my hd,so it means every time i want to play any game i have to swap disks all the time,what if it gets scratched will i get refund?,i don't think so **** ,thats main reason why i use no-cd's,not to mention longer loading start ups,otherwise i would've get myself x360
if you need any help considering game buggz,issues no mods can be found but post one post about protection resolving issues using no-cd they are here,probably their main existence :p

intrepid_soul
10th Oct 2006, 16:49
at the end it's not about protection,i got more than 10 games installed on my hd,so it means every time i want to play any game i have to swap disks all the time,what if it gets scratched will i get refund?,i don't think so **** ,thats main reason why i use no-cd's,not to mention longer loading start ups,otherwise i would've get myself x360
if you need any help considering game buggz,issues no mods can be found but post one post about protection resolving issues using no-cd they are here,probably their main existence :p

The people you need to be mad at are the people who feel it is right to take someone else's work and post it on the internet for everyone to download for free. If these people did not exist then copy protection would have stayed relatively harmless. If you ask me though I would rather have Securom's issues rather then Starforce.

As for swapping disks and the risk of scratching, be more careful? I have disks that are over 10 years old that I still play with them. As for Mods they are not Eidos employees for the most part, nor are they technical support. In reality these forums are n0ot a technical support forum. They are a place for people to post technical issues and hopefully other users are able to help

Crypton
10th Oct 2006, 17:31
*snip* If you ask me though I would rather have Securom's issues rather then Starforce. *snip*
Amen to that, I wish other companies would wake up and find something else besides SF. I know a few that have already and things have gone much smoother with their newer releases and was a good step from a business perspective.

I myself do not like copy protection, and I am with a lot of people when I say I would like to play from a backup, sure we could be more careful, but accidents happen. I have 2 kids, my daughter, whos is only 4 months old and my son who just turned 5. While my daughter is not old enough to mess around on the PC, my son is and does play several of my games. This is becoming more an issue now than before as more and more people are using a PC and at younger ages.

Back years ago, I would have completely agreed with "be more careful" but today, I would not go that far as to say that. For one reason, as stated more and more are using a PC whether it be for entertainment, or for getting work done. So, in order for my son to play "Flatout 2" for example (he loves his racing, even watches Nascar and Formula 1) I have to insert my original disc for him to play. Normally that is never an issue as once it is in, he plays and that's all she wrote.. However.. There are times when he like to mess around and ejecting the CD/DVD is something he found a new button for recently... Most of the time it was reset button I have on my main PC. No, he doesn't go for the glowing bright blue one, and doesn't pay attention to the bright blue ones for the HDD activity and Power Status. nope, he goes for the reset button or the CD/DVD eject button which does not glow. Go figure.

Anyhow, being more careful is not always the case. You can be a perfect driver and never speed nor run in front of traffic, ect.. and still get killed in an accident. In fact, my wives aunt just passed away in an accident and it was not her fault. Her and her hubby were on the way home and getting off the exit ramp from the highway when a tractor trailer truck ran over the median (into oncoming traffic) and slammed into the side of her vehicle. The driver (her husband) did not get a scratch even though the truck hit his side. However, she was not as lucky. both the driver of the tractor trailer truck and her (passenger of their pickup) were killed. Me and my wife live in TN, around 2 hours from Abingdon. we originally moved here from Abingdon. Meadowview is like 5-10 minutes from Abingdon.
http://www.tricities.com/tristate/tri/news.apx.-content-articles-TRI-2006-10-10-0016.html
At any rate, I didn't know my wives Aunt very well, but my wife of course, diff story.

My point is being more carful is not always the answer. I to have CD's from back in the day, I still have a mint condition original Doom 95 CD, no scratches, ect.. and I even still have a working mint copy of Wolfenstein on floppy! But they are not perfect from being careful, they are perfect because they have been packed away in a box and not touched in years. Except recently I installed to mess around on a P233 I built just to mess around with some old games on. Sure, I could use Dosbox.. But nah, might as well put my Win95 and 98 cd's to use.

Here is another one that may relate to many, Ever bought a new pair of shoes and tried your hardest to keep them clean and free of scratch/scuff marks only to find out no matter how hard you try, it only caused them to get ruined faster? Ponder that for a few.

That being said, I can agree on both fronts to some extent, but I still believe that it should be our right to protect an investment. To some a game is just "a game", but, money was earned to purchase that game and for a lot, that money is not easy to just pull out of nowhere, so it to them is a fairly decent investment. Some will argue, get a better job! Well, not everyone is able to just get a high paying job, and they are not handed out like hot cakes. Myself I do not have to worry much, but I have at one point in time been there and know what it is like to live with low income, and even no income.

and no i'm not saying your wrong, because I do agree to some extent, but I have to backup peeps in the community as well since it is us that makes Eidos and other companies continue to do business. We still buy games regardless of protections, sure, but even better would be if companies started to listen more to their customers and quit trying to play "cops" with software. Let the law handle that. Sure, they are not doing good either, but is copy protection really doing anything besides making it harder on paying customers? I do not see it, it may slow it down for a day or 2, but we all know if it is released, it is out there for free. Sad but true.

However, I do not agree with posting of nocd's ect.. on the forums, especially here. Regardless of your "good intent" to get someone up and running.

HornetUK
10th Oct 2006, 18:56
:mad: Nice speech and very true.

I have over 40 different titles all original installed on my sytem and Clone DVD and the only game I have an issue with is Just Cause
after getting in touch with Securom they sent me a Exe patch it worked fine for a bit but for some reason it stoppped working now so I am now stuffed.

40 titles and only one that objects to Clone DVd to my way of thinking that dosnt say to much for Securom and eidos for choosing that method of trying to protect there software.

so unless Eidos or Securom dont come up with a solution i can see me removing this and problay not purchasing eidos software in the future if they continue to use Securom as there method of trying to proctect there games.

intrepid_soul
11th Oct 2006, 16:05
:mad: Nice speech and very true.

I have over 40 different titles all original installed on my sytem and Clone DVD and the only game I have an issue with is Just Cause
after getting in touch with Securom they sent me a Exe patch it worked fine for a bit but for some reason it stoppped working now so I am now stuffed.

40 titles and only one that objects to Clone DVd to my way of thinking that dosnt say to much for Securom and eidos for choosing that method of trying to protect there software.

so unless Eidos or Securom dont come up with a solution i can see me removing this and problay not purchasing eidos software in the future if they continue to use Securom as there method of trying to proctect there games.

Its usually as easy as shutting down the service or the process that is running for what ever CD/DVD burning software is running. Otherwise, run another analysis and send it off to securom, they are usually very quick with a response.

HornetUK
11th Oct 2006, 17:13
Thats not exactly the most helpful of responses I think.

how do you determine what is causingthe problem and how exacly do you shut down process.

:nut:

intrepid_soul
12th Oct 2006, 16:08
Thats not exactly the most helpful of responses I think.

how do you determine what is causingthe problem and how exacly do you shut down process.

:nut:

I made the assumption you knew what software was installed on your computer. Literally there are 1000's of programs out there and each has its own quirks. For example, Itunes has three "helper" programs running in memory at all times. I know one is just constantly scanning for an Ipod. I would be nice if these programs told you what they were doing. So the quick and dirty way to figure out what these programs is as follows:

1. press Control-Alt-Delete and go to the Task Manager
2. Click on the processes tab
3. *(This step will take awhile)* What you are going to do is select each process and click End Process. There will be some that windows will tell you it cannot shut down because it is vital to the system, ignore those. If you end process on something and the system shuts down, remember that process (write it down) and don't close it again when you restart this process
4. Once you have all the processes windows will allow to end closed, then run the game.
5. If the game runs then you know one of the things you shut down was the culprit

To help narrow it down:
1. Restart the computer (This brings back everything you just shut down)
2. Go to the Processes tab again
3. Shut down about half of the things you did before
4. Try starting the game

If the game starts then you know it was in the half you did shut down, if not you know its in the half you did not shut down. Using the process of elmination, you can work through and find the 1 or 2 processes that are causing you issues.

Once you find that process you can either manually shut it down each time you want to play the game, or do a quickly google search on it and find out what program it belongs to and see if there is an option to disable this program.

Major_A
12th Oct 2006, 19:10
I made the assumption you knew what software was installed on your computer. Literally there are 1000's of programs out there and each has its own quirks. For example, Itunes has three "helper" programs running in memory at all times. I know one is just constantly scanning for an Ipod. I would be nice if these programs told you what they were doing. So the quick and dirty way to figure out what these programs is as follows:

1. press Control-Alt-Delete and go to the Task Manager
2. Click on the processes tab
3. *(This step will take awhile)* What you are going to do is select each process and click End Process. There will be some that windows will tell you it cannot shut down because it is vital to the system, ignore those. If you end process on something and the system shuts down, remember that process (write it down) and don't close it again when you restart this process
4. Once you have all the processes windows will allow to end closed, then run the game.
5. If the game runs then you know one of the things you shut down was the culprit

To help narrow it down:
1. Restart the computer (This brings back everything you just shut down)
2. Go to the Processes tab again
3. Shut down about half of the things you did before
4. Try starting the game

If the game starts then you know it was in the half you did shut down, if not you know its in the half you did not shut down. Using the process of elmination, you can work through and find the 1 or 2 processes that are causing you issues.

Once you find that process you can either manually shut it down each time you want to play the game, or do a quickly google search on it and find out what program it belongs to and see if there is an option to disable this program.
You end the wrong process you might reboot unknowingly. If you don't know what you have running I'd Google each process and look for a website that starts with http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ and get an idea what it is. If you feel comfortable enough removing the program from starting with the computer I'd get CCleaner and delete the entry.

You could also stop or manually start some Windows processes. This generally speeds up start and shutdown times and uses less system RAM. There are several processes that Windows XP loads at the startup that are unnecessary to say the least. Instead of telling you what to start and stop here is a guide for Windows XP. I don't know if it's been updated since SP1 or SP2 so use your best judgement if you decide to use it.
http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12