PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Shader Error

cake
1st Oct 2006, 23:48
I guess this post belongs here as there is no support forum for this game...

Here is my system specifications:
Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz Socket 478
2GB DDR400 Crucial brand
ASUS P4C800-E Motherboard
ATi Radeon x800pro AGP8x (HIS Cooling)
Maxtor Raptormax 200GB SATA 1.5GB/s
Creative Audigy 4 Pro PCI
Linksys Wireless-G with SpeedBooster PCI NIC

Logitech G15 USB Keyboard
Logitech MX Revolution USB Mouse
Logitech G5 Laser USB Mouse

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
DirectX 9.0c
ATi Catalyst Drivers 6.9

Ok, now everytime I start the program it goes fullscreened and I then get a barrage of errors that primarily say vertex shader error. After a minute the game ceases to give me errors and locks up and only closes through Task Manager.

Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue because I have searched around and found that many other people are having the same problem as I am but are receiving no information on how to fix it.

EDIT: Also if there is no fix for this at the moment or is unfixable at this stage, will a future patch resolve this issue? If not then it would be nice to know so I can exchange this game for something else.

daveyb66
2nd Oct 2006, 10:00
I had exactly the same problem and my system is more than capable of running the game. I have been on the phone to Eidos and they said that they will look deeper into it and take it to the developers to try and "force" the error so they can figure out what it is. Hopefully the error can be fixed with a patch and soon! Maybe if you ring up too they might move it up the list of things to do for them

intrepid_soul
4th Oct 2006, 22:08
Ok, now everytime I start the program it goes fullscreened and I then get a barrage of errors that primarily say vertex shader error. After a minute the game ceases to give me errors and locks up and only closes through Task Manager.

Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue because I have searched around and found that many other people are having the same problem as I am but are receiving no information on how to fix it.

EDIT: Also if there is no fix for this at the moment or is unfixable at this stage, will a future patch resolve this issue? If not then it would be nice to know so I can exchange this game for something else.

Did it ever work? What is your current desktop resolution? (If it sounds like I am grasping at straws I am) I was working with a video card that someone emailed in support with the same issue. It doesn't appear to be card specific as I have seen this reported with both ATI and NVidia cards. Are you running any special setup such at dual monitors, flat screens, big screen televisions, or anything dealing with visual.

Try this, press control-alt-delete, and go to the Task Manager, and then the processes tab. Shut down everything Windows will allow, once you have this list thinned down to the bare minimum try running the game. This will test to see if it is something running in the background.

cake
5th Oct 2006, 22:55
I am using a dual monitor setup with both monitors (2 Dell LCD Panels) running at 1280x1024 resolution (2560x1024 total resolution).

I have not tried disabling one yet but I will attempt to try that next. Also, most of the extra non windows xp applications are driver applications, antiviral (Avast) and Firewall (ZoneAlarm).

EDIT: Attempted to run the game with Avast and Zonealarm shutdowned and the 2nd monitor disabled. Same errors came up...

EDIT2: Closed all programs that windows would allow me and it had the same results of constant errors... I'm so frustrated right now and frankly I don't even care to play this game anymore

intrepid_soul
5th Oct 2006, 23:47
Does your computer have an onboard video card in addition to your video card you are using?

As an experiement try this, click on start, then Run, and type in DXDIAG, and select OK. Once Direct Diagnostics Tool comes up click on the Display tab, and check the settings under DirectX Features, and report back what they are set too. If AGP texture acceleration is Enabled, click the disable button.

Try running the game, if the error still persists, reenable that option. Disable the Direct 3D acceleration, and attempt to run the game. You should get a message telling you to update your drivers or something like that, in 4 languages. Let me know if that message does or does not appear, then reenable that setting.

Also select the DirectX Files tab and report back the message in the bottom window. Try reinstalling directx from the microsoft website at www.microsoft.com/directx

cake
7th Oct 2006, 04:55
I received the same results when disabled AGP Texture Acceleration.

I tried the Direct3D disable and it yielded a 5 language error in english, french, german, italian, and spanish.

As for the DirectX Files, this was in the bottom window

No problems found.

Crypton
7th Oct 2006, 05:18
I received the same results when disabled AGP Texture Acceleration.

I tried the Direct3D disable and it yielded a 5 language error in english, french, german, italian, and spanish.

As for the DirectX Files, this was in the bottom window
Did you install DX again regardless if it says no problems found? DX is often updated and there are monthly builds which are still DX 9.0c but newer builds that fix/correct some errors.

Try it and see as most likely it will update the build you have.

cake
7th Oct 2006, 17:36
I've updated to the latest DirectX off of microsoft's site just now and tried to run Just Cause again. No results, still the flood of vertex shader errors.

intrepid_soul
7th Oct 2006, 18:51
I've updated to the latest DirectX off of microsoft's site just now and tried to run Just Cause again. No results, still the flood of vertex shader errors.

I am getting really stumped. For my own piece of mind, do you have another computer you can try to install it to? If you get the same error on that computer it would point to the disk, or you can swap it out at your point of purchase (but if its a bad batch you could get 2 bad disks in a row). I'll post here if I can think of something over this weekend....

Crypton
7th Oct 2006, 19:40
I remember sometime ago reading a post on one of my own forums I moderate for, and can recall someone mentioning they were getting shader errors.

I am not very familiar with ATI Tray Tools.. So if you know them fairly well, they did a "Rollback" of the shader version using the ATI Tray Tool. If you understand at all what I am talking about, then please try that as it may resolve your issue.

// Regards,
Crypton

intrepid_soul
7th Oct 2006, 22:40
I remember sometime ago reading a post on one of my own forums I moderate for, and can recall someone mentioning they were getting shader errors.

I am not very familiar with ATI Tray Tools.. So if you know them fairly well, they did a "Rollback" of the shader version using the ATI Tray Tool. If you understand at all what I am talking about, then please try that as it may resolve your issue.

// Regards,
Crypton

It would work if this was a driver issue. I am not convinced it is, as we are seeing it on Nvidia and ATI cards. I tried using older drivers to try to reproduce this error in house, and so far no luck.

Crypton
7th Oct 2006, 22:57
It would work if this was a driver issue. I am not convinced it is, as we are seeing it on Nvidia and ATI cards. I tried using older drivers to try to reproduce this error in house, and so far no luck.
aye, but worth a shot. Maybe forcing it to use older shader versions, who knows, im kinda out of ideas besides that one atm :(

intrepid_soul
8th Oct 2006, 16:53
aye, but worth a shot. Maybe forcing it to use older shader versions, who knows, im kinda out of ideas besides that one atm :(

I know, its frustrating, and I know when the solution is apparent we all are going to say...duh... :mad2:

intrepid_soul
9th Oct 2006, 17:06
Has anyone tried using 3d analyze, even on a card that should support the game?

intrepid_soul
9th Oct 2006, 21:39
I found something interesting on another game board, anyone with this error, do you have a DVD burner, or the program Sonic installed?

Crypton
10th Oct 2006, 02:40
I found something interesting on another game board, anyone with this error, do you have a DVD burner, or the program Sonic installed?
probably referring to upper/lower filters and PxHelp20.sys, back sometime ago I had to clean my rig of that,

Just a quick FYI, it gets installed with numerous programs, even Winamp 5 sadly. Not just Sonic.

Definately something to look at though, it caused me alot of issues with everything, just not gaming.

Quickest way to see if the cd/dvd burning driver filter is on your system is search C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ for a file called PxHelp20.sys

90% of peeps on these forums probably have it :P It will take a little more than just removing the file for cleanup, so I will leave it for intrepid to post, I have my own way to resolve it, but most do not like my method as I completly slice it off the registry and in return, any programs you use such as Nero, or other burning soft that does not use the filter, would need to be reinstalled. But, its a quick dirty fix. ;)

intrepid_soul
10th Oct 2006, 16:22
probably referring to upper/lower filters and PxHelp20.sys, back sometime ago I had to clean my rig of that,

Just a quick FYI, it gets installed with numerous programs, even Winamp 5 sadly. Not just Sonic.

Definately something to look at though, it caused me alot of issues with everything, just not gaming.

Quickest way to see if the cd/dvd burning driver filter is on your system is search C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\ for a file called PxHelp20.sys

90% of peeps on these forums probably have it :P It will take a little more than just removing the file for cleanup, so I will leave it for intrepid to post, I have my own way to resolve it, but most do not like my method as I completly slice it off the registry and in return, any programs you use such as Nero, or other burning soft that does not use the filter, would need to be reinstalled. But, its a quick dirty fix. ;)

Actually the post mentioned, DLA specifically. At this point I am willing to try anything. :mad2: