PDA

View Full Version : Pc Gamer gives Just Cause 85%???

Disciple
1st Oct 2006, 09:22
It makes me wonder if this mag is taking a backhand when it comes to this review. There was no mention of Joypad support, no mention of the mountain of bugs just literally all the good points. At this moment in time i would probably give this game 69% not 85% and pretty graphics do not make a good game. Give it a patch to sort out the bugs and give us joypad support Eidos and then maybe it'll deserve the Pc Gamer score.

chippxero
1st Oct 2006, 09:29
85% really isn't that good, there are a lot more games with 90% scores. Graphics probably helped bump that score up a fair it and the sheer size of the play area is some what impressive, even if the gameplay could do with a major tweak.

Remember reviews are just someones opinion, i know people who uninstalled the game after an hour or 2 of play.

Personally i have stopped playing it till there is a patch.

Crypton
1st Oct 2006, 09:37
It makes me wonder if this mag is taking a backhand when it comes to this review. There was no mention of Joypad support, no mention of the mountain of bugs just literally all the good points. At this moment in time i would probably give this game 69% not 85% and pretty graphics do not make a good game. Give it a patch to sort out the bugs and give us joypad support Eidos and then maybe it'll deserve the Pc Gamer score.
Mags tell you what you want to hear, not what you dont want to hear. They are very partial to large companies, such as Eidos (yes I know Avalanche developed the game, but Eidos published it and they are a big name)
Benchmark sites are usually the same, they are partial or favor one company over another. ;) That is why I do not listen to them myself, I look at their reviews to get an idea how the game looks from screens and videos, then demo to check it out, if I am still not sure.. I wait for it to be released then see the customers reviews before buying.

I saw some reviews about bugs ect.. almost immidiately when it was released, but still got it. I am trusting that Eidos will resolve majority of the issues, (I know again, that can be a mistake.. but..) While im here, bring Omicron the Nomad Soul back Eidos! :P, bah might go install dosbox again and play it.

Hrshgn
3rd Oct 2006, 08:07
I think it deserves the 85%.

Citnarf
3rd Oct 2006, 08:29
I think this game deserves at least a 95%... i dont know why everyone hates it :confused: i love it!

blakey83
3rd Oct 2006, 08:33
i think its the pc gamers that are suffering abit.it does deserve a high score for what it is as a game.the concept of it is fkin mindblowin!its just let down by a few bugs:(

intrepid_soul
10th Oct 2006, 17:03
Mags tell you what you want to hear, not what you dont want to hear. They are very partial to large companies, such as Eidos (yes I know Avalanche developed the game, but Eidos published it and they are a big name)
Benchmark sites are usually the same, they are partial or favor one company over another. ;) That is why I do not listen to them myself, I look at their reviews to get an idea how the game looks from screens and videos, then demo to check it out, if I am still not sure.. I wait for it to be released then see the customers reviews before buying.

I saw some reviews about bugs ect.. almost immidiately when it was released, but still got it. I am trusting that Eidos will resolve majority of the issues, (I know again, that can be a mistake.. but..) While im here, bring Omicron the Nomad Soul back Eidos! :P, bah might go install dosbox again and play it.

We aren't as big as you wold think, since the SCI take over we have put on some muscle but are well behind many publishers out there. I do agree it will be interesting to see if a patch comes out, and what it might do.

As far as Omnicron, I am able to play it on XP with no problems. :) All games should have a Bowie soundtrack. I want a followup to Mr. Mosquito myself.

OliverReed
12th Oct 2006, 17:31
Frankly, I think it sucks all round.

The PC demo was chessy in the extreme (I know its supposed to be) but no fun at all. Graphics were limp and I soon got fed up of those dialog boxes telling me what the controls were - ther are better ways of explaining them rather than interrupting the game every 10 seconds! Ypu're supposed to be selling me this thing.

And the homepage was incredibly irritating - took ages to find things to click on.

The demo got 2 attempts before being uninstalled. Rubbish!

NAFJCB
(NotAFutureJustCauseBuyer)

Wrath_of_hitman
12th Oct 2006, 17:53
game was good,but considering all problems ppl had/have i wouldn't gave it 50%:rolleyes:
so someone got paid for sure to sell more extra PC copies ;)

Crypton
12th Oct 2006, 23:12
We aren't as big as you wold think, since the SCI take over we have put on some muscle but are well behind many publishers out there. I do agree it will be interesting to see if a patch comes out, and what it might do.
Still big enough for mags to notice. If Eidos was a new company the mags may not even pay attention at all, but since Eidos has been around a while and is known for several titles, they tend to get a heads up when a game is pushed out the door.

As far as Omnicron, I am able to play it on XP with no problems. :) All games should have a Bowie soundtrack. I want a followup to Mr. Mosquito myself.
I can play it on XP using DosBox, other than that it would never run without it, always crashed when I tried. I play it on an AMD 800EB (Slot A) CPU running Windows 98SE, runs fine, still using my old Voodoo 3 video card :P

Noreceq
16th Oct 2006, 13:09
Of course, just cause may get 100%. Mine opinion. But PC Gamer's writers think different, that's mean "PC Gamer" is bad. FALSE

Debug
17th Oct 2006, 20:14
Hello, I'm not sure where everyone is getting their information from but PC Gamer magazine rated "Just Cause" with a 93% rating. Simply go purchase the December 2006 issue, No. 155. Page 52 gives the writeup along with PC Gamers Editors Choice award. It also won Best Adventure Game at E3 by Teamxbox.com

This is how I found out about the game in the first place and let me tell you that this is one of the most fun single player games I have ever played. The storyline is excellent, great graphics, easy to learn controls and above all, it's extremely fun and addictive to play.

As far as bugs go, I have not encountered any bugs so far while playing? Is everyone talking about the same game in these posts? Is it the demo that people are having the problems with? Because the full version game hasn't had any problems for me whatsoever.

My only hope is that in the future, Eidos makes a multiplayer version of this type of game. Maybe throw in some modding tools so that the gamers can create their own types of coop style missions. You never know :)

Two thumbs up for this game :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Debug

adv1
17th Oct 2006, 23:23
PC Gamer in the UK gave it 85%, I assume it's the US version that gave it 93%.

I think people are complaining because it feels like the PC version wasn't given quite as much care as it should have had, and that there are some obvious problems with the game that should've been identified and fixed early on.

Personally I think it's a great game but held back by a few problems and irritations which belong more in a 50% game not an 85%+ one.

My experience of Just Cause varies each time I play - sometimes I think it's amazing, others I feel like throwing something at the screen in annoyance...

But I think there's a really special game here and I would be happy to see a patch that makes the game worthy of those high scores.

FunkyMunky
22nd Oct 2006, 13:04
It got 85% because its well made addictive gaming fun.

Yes the bugs can be annoying but the only major one that keeps cropping up for me is the audio stutter. The rest of the time it runs fine.

This game deserves 90%+.

Madda Cheeb
6th May 2007, 03:49
There's never going to be a patch, i checked, although MILLIONS of features are very poor, so they can either be redone, or upgraded. I think its so poor that eidos will have to come out with Just Cause 2, just because of how poorly done it was.:lol: Like the car physics, at high speeds, your car will spin out even if you dont have a flat tire VERY VERY POOR EIDOS I THOUGHT YOU COULD DO BETTER THAN THAT, ACTUALLY YOU CAN SO WHY DID YOU MAKE THIIS GAME SO POORLY MADE!!

cazzer
6th May 2007, 13:34
it should be 90% because when you complete it you see that it is so easy to access parts of the island and secret vehicles become more easy to find so yes a 90% is in order for me:thumbsup:

crazyhorse128
1st Jun 2007, 15:44
PCZone gave it 82% saying one of the major flaws is it feels like your daily work comute as you spend so much time traviling around to do/get to missions

cazzer
1st Jun 2007, 15:58
I dont bother doing missions all the time i prefer to get the f-6 comet and wreck havoc. :cool:

crazyhorse128
1st Jun 2007, 17:59
fair do's

cazzer
2nd Jun 2007, 16:42
What do you prefer out of the two jets (if you have found them yet).

crazyhorse128
2nd Jun 2007, 17:34
the 2 jets being the 1 that shoots 2 missiles abd the 1 that shoots 4 missiles?