PDA

View Full Version : [PC] Probable Fix to Stuttering: Fixed mine :D

Errorsftl.
30th Sep 2006, 16:49
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=118151

View the second post and follow the instructions throughout the thread.

"Start > right-click My Computer > Properties > Hardware tab > Device Manager

Under IDE (ATA/ATAPI) controllers > Primary IDE Channel > Advanced Settings tab-make sure transfer mode is DMA or UDMA not PIO"

"that's why it's running slow. Uninstall the ide controllers in device manager and reboot. windows will re-install them automatically. Hopefully, the current mode will reset to dma. post back with your results. if it doesn't change, there is a registry edit that might be required"

Credit thanks to : hwm54112 from Techsupport.com

Although not directly related with the game, this fixed my stuttering issues with Just Cause. It might not work with other computers but, my spec is above recommended specifications:
Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
OCZ Overclocking Ram 3-2-3-5? I think those were the timings 2048 MB
CPU :AMD Athlon™ XP 2800+
CPU Speed :2124.9 MHz
Sound card :Realtek AC97 Audio
Video Card:RADEON X850 Series
Motherboard: EPoX EP-8KRAIPRO Socket A (Socket 462) VIA KT880 ATX AMD Motherboard

By following those steps I got a great performance boost and eliminated stuttering, and only recieved minor slowdowns (minor, hardly noticable) in computer intensive fights. Besides that, it fixed my problem and helped me alot. Hope it does the same for others :D

blakey83
30th Sep 2006, 18:25
sorry dude but dma is enabled on mine.do u reccomend uninstalling the drivers anyway?(just 2 b on the safe side)

blakey83
30th Sep 2006, 19:09
anyway...i uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled them.it did sort out the stutterin effect abit,but as u said...when it gets abit extreme it still stutters a little.thanks 4 the tip,i might b able to do some missions now!:D

Ceano
30th Sep 2006, 19:15
When game freezes/stutter it usually is a problem with the sound card or drivers, check so you have the latest drivers for sound and video card + that you have DirectX9c (think the game did want to install that but not sure). One thing i have noticed is that on board sound (like integrated on motherboard) isn't a good thing for newer games, they cant handle the sound any good. I did use my integrated sound on my motherboard before but did buy me a SB Audigy 4 and that card solved a lot of stuttering problems i had with Oblivion.

Ufomies
30th Sep 2006, 20:05
DMA settings have nothing to do with the problems I have. I just hope either the guys at the Nvidia or those silly darn Swedish dimwits release a patch for the problems. I am getting a bit desperate here.

(And, yes, I have DMA always on, naturally)

Errorsftl.
30th Sep 2006, 21:13
Ah. I don't know then. This fixed my stuttering issues but I don't know what else to say. Naturally all drivers should be updated (mobo, maybe a bios flash if you want) because it's common sense.
Eh. I'd recommend all of the following:
-Defragmenting (overall better performance)
-Turning off all processes that arent in use. Doesn't effect me much because the processes I leave on dont take up that much memory and dont use alot of CPU. Still a good thing to do none the less
-Clean out your PC of dust and etc. Make sure you aren't overheating, can be a serious issue that becomes obvious in stuttering.
-Run memtest. Maybe your ram is faulty/etc.

If you still fail to get great performance maybe the anwser lies in Reformatting, that usually helps.. alot. Or just a virus/adware/spyware/malware check etc.
Or if it's just time for that upgrade change then spend the money to get new parts. Ram and Videocards are the top priority there, 1 gig of ram meets the standards but I pack 2 gigs of ram because I got my OCZ ram for a nice price, and hey one extra gig isnt going to do any harm you know?
I have a fairly old CPU, 3 years old probably? It's still getting the job done with economical benefits. But I'd recommend getting a new one soon because who knows what progammers are going to be doing in terms of CPU usage. For example, look at Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Radiant AI is a CPU vampire. Instead of blood it sucks all the resources and takes away ALOT of desired perforamance. Honestly, I've seen games like GTA:SA do what R.A.I does just through simple coding (the daily routines etc) without the resource hogs.

Anyway not to get off track.. if people are still having performance issues.. can you post your specs please? At first I thought the stuttering was an issue with Realtek Onboard sound which is common in most motherboards of the day (or atleast the ones I've seen.) It's speculation into a unique problem that I think is looked over alot. But hey there are so many variables as to what can cause bad performance so you never know what the problem starter was.

Ufomies
30th Sep 2006, 21:35
Well, I highly recommend using DIRMS for defragmenting. I am an IT pro and I know pretty much about the best ways to keep my PC running as well as possible. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.dirms.com/

A very surprising URL, I think.

Crypton
1st Oct 2006, 02:04
By following those steps I got a great performance boost and eliminated stuttering, and only recieved minor slowdowns (minor, hardly noticable) in computer intensive fights. Besides that, it fixed my problem and helped me alot. Hope it does the same for others :D

"Normally" DMA is enabled by default, XP likes to sometimes turn it off however, usually happens if you applied SP1 or SP2 from MS Update rather than using a Slipstream CD and installing fresh with it already integrated.

Anyhow, glad to see you got it sorted, but majority of us are getting slowdowns from other things not related to DMA. But.. this may help some who maybe do not have it on and not realize it.

I am an IT pro and I know pretty much about the best ways to keep my PC running as well as possible.

:lmao: mind if I borrow that for my sig?, thanks not often I get such a laugh

Ufomies
1st Oct 2006, 03:00
:lmao: mind if I borrow that for my sig?, thanks not often I get such a laugh

Not at all, you are most welcome. Free of charge, under GNU license naturally.

Even though, I could be a bit curious about what was it that made you have such a laugh? I mean, I could, but fortunately I have been eating these funny mushrooms lately and they seem to have a funny effect on... Hey, look at that cow driving a tractor!! ... Uh... Yes, as I was saying... Hey, look at that giraffe trying to divide with a zero!!... Uh... Well, never mind.

Crypton
1st Oct 2006, 04:32
Not at all, you are most welcome. Free of charge, under GNU license naturally.

Even though, I could be a bit curious about what was it that made you have such a laugh? I mean, I could, but fortunately I have been eating these funny mushrooms lately and they seem to have a funny effect on... Hey, look at that cow driving a tractor!! ... Uh... Yes, as I was saying... Hey, look at that giraffe trying to divide with a zero!!... Uh... Well, never mind.
yeah, it must be the mushrooms.

pongo7890
2nd Oct 2006, 14:29
Thank You So Much Thois Completly Fixed The Stuttering Problem!!!!im So Happy!!!:d