PDA

View Full Version : Military Annexations

Marshall Thomas
28th Sep 2006, 17:03
Hi- I'm a new player and I started my first campaign last week. I'm a little confused about conquered provinces. If you capture an enemy capital, you recieve all the other provinces of that nation. I know that if the capital belongs to one of the five empires, then both the non-capital and capital provinces do not provide any resources and new buildings are prohibited. Is it then strategically sound to capture an empire's non-capital provinces in a war in which you never take the empire's capital? This way the provinces would remain productive after they are yours. Is it then always a bad idea to take the enemy empire's capital? When is it a good strategy?

Do non-empire nations work the same way? If you take the capital of a non-empire nation, do you recieve that nation's other provinces?

I'm quite unsure about any of this, so please correct me if any rule that I've stated above is wrong. Also- how do these rules effect the overall campaign? What do you think that the designers of IG where attempting to add to the campaign with these conquered province rules? Thanks in advance

_five_by_five_
29th Sep 2006, 01:10
Wow, you really remind me of myself when I started IG: all the unknown rules and mechanisms made me crazy as well :D

1.) yes, provinces of an empire should be incorporated into your own territory through a peace treaty BEFORE you arrange its final fall. And taking out a central province of an empire has no other use than achieving the final goal (total victory) and taking out a competitor in the ever ongoing annexion-race.

2.) the so-called neutral countries always become part of your empire as a whole if you conquer the capitol (unless their provinces have been incorporated by another empire via peace treaty before that is).

3.) not sure the designers had a sound reason for that, one could argue that they tried to represent the historical assimilation of a territory postwar (happened often enough) versus a real longterm occupation troubled by constant resistance which actually outweighed the "profit" of occupation.

Marshall Thomas
29th Sep 2006, 02:18
So in a war against an empire with at least a few non-capital provinces, should the capital ever be targeted? Can you occupy the capital without annexing it? Can you instead use it as a bargining chip for a favorable peace treaty? What I don't understand is: If you should only capture an empire's capital after you have aquired most(or all) of it's non-capital provinces in a previous war, then at the dawn of the next war the empire must be very weak(if most or all of it's non-capital provinces where taken in the previous war) and must rank as the least powerful empire remaining. If this is the case, then to capture it's capital for the purpose of eliminating that empire as a competitor, seems useless as it is no longer competitive anyway because it lost it's non-capital provinces in the last war.

I suppose that the desighners of IG implemented these rules reguarding capital provinces in order to prevent empires from being eliminated too early in the campaign. I think it makes for a better and more realistic campaign.

I'm still far from certain that my reasoning above is correct. Please offer some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance

_five_by_five_
29th Sep 2006, 10:44
a.) Can you occupy the capital without annexing it?
b.) Can you instead use it as a bargining chip for a favorable peace treaty?

(...)If you should only capture an empire's capital after you have aquired most(or all) of it's non-capital provinces in a previous war, then at the dawn of the next war the empire must be very weak(if most or all of it's non-capital provinces where taken in the previous war) and must rank as the least powerful empire remaining. If this is the case, then

c.) to capture it's capital for the purpose of eliminating that empire as a competitor, seems useless as it is no longer competitive anyway because it lost it's non-capital provinces in the last war. (edited for reasons of structure)

a.) well, you never really annex it, that's the point, once your flag appears there it's in a status of constant occupation so to speak, that's why you always have to have troops there (unlike a really annexed province or neutral capital) and you pay food for those soldiers as if they are in foreign territory!
b.) don't think so, the capital is non-negotiable.
c.) one would think so, but fact is: the tiny rest of an empire still uses all its external trade routes if you are not in permanent war with it (and external trade is by far the most important source of gold), thats why it still can use the main instrument of the AI for peaceful annexation: Improve Relations. So it stays a competitor in that way. I have seen Prussia shrinked down to Brandenburg more or less totally recovering after years because it took over peacefully Ottoman Empire, Sweden and Saxony in short succession.