PDA

View Full Version : Garbled screen freeze after a couple minutes

mrdriller
28th Sep 2006, 01:37
On the demo as well as the full game, after I get to playing for a couple of minutes it crashes to a garbled mess of a screen, forcing a reboot.
My first thought was overheating, but I ran 3DMark, and Company of Heroes stress tests for several runs through each without any hitches. Played Tomb Raider Legend. Played several other games. No problems. Only having issues with this game and it's demo.
My card is a GF 6800GT. Proc is a AMD 64 3200+. etc etc..
Any more info you need, I'll be happy to provide. Any ideas?

Wrath_of_hitman
28th Sep 2006, 01:50
did you tried latest 92.91b drivers?

mrdriller
28th Sep 2006, 01:57
did you tried latest 92.91b drivers?

no, I'm using the 91.47s. the 92.91s are PureVideo™ HD BETA drivers... and I have no idea what they are for ;) the GeForce beta drivers on site are 91.33, which would be a step down.

Wrath_of_hitman
28th Sep 2006, 02:38
no, I'm using the 91.47s. the 92.91s are PureVideo™ HD BETA drivers... and I have no idea what they are for ;) the GeForce beta drivers on site are 91.33, which would be a step down.

lol i'm uing them on my 6800 and they are much better than 91.47,altho i've never had any "artifacts" in this or any other games using 91.47

mrdriller
28th Sep 2006, 02:45
Yeah I just tried them despite the name for em. Used driver cleaner to completely rid my system of the older drivers, then installed those.
Made it all the way to the roadblock dealy when you have to get out of the back of the jeep.. and it did it again. :mad2:
Like I said before, I'd chalk it up to a screwy GPU if it happened in even one other game.. but it just only seems to be this one doing it.

mrdriller
28th Sep 2006, 02:57
You said you're using a 6800 as well? Do you run it with Post effects on or off? Turning them off seemed to fix my problem. Just curious if you are able to play with them on.

Edit: And of course after turning them off and having it run fine, I got paranoid about the GPU again since I dont think Company of Heroes stress test and/or 3DMark use post effects so I booted up Oblivion, maxed it out with HDR and everything else on to see if it would cause the same garble. Much to my relief I didn't experience any problems. But it did renew my interest in that game, so maybe I'll just wait for a patch on this one and see if it fixes my issue.

Wrath_of_hitman
28th Sep 2006, 11:08
You said you're using a 6800 as well? Do you run it with Post effects on or off? Turning them off seemed to fix my problem. Just curious if you are able to play with them on.

Edit: And of course after turning them off and having it run fine, I got paranoid about the GPU again since I dont think Company of Heroes stress test and/or 3DMark use post effects so I booted up Oblivion, maxed it out with HDR and everything else on to see if it would cause the same garble. Much to my relief I didn't experience any problems. But it did renew my interest in that game, so maybe I'll just wait for a patch on this one and see if it fixes my issue.

i just can't stand those post efx they not like in x360 version,it's pure bloom that makes my eyes bleed very fast so i always turning them off :o