PDA

View Full Version : Negotiate

Marshall Thomas
28th Sep 2006, 01:08
When the AI nations offer you a deal, you are given the option to negotiate. There is no mention of this in the manual or tutorial. What should a player consider when deciding whether or not to negotiate? How does it effect sympathy ratings? Thanks in advance

jlgx50
28th Sep 2006, 11:08
nagotiat is only used for if they have a deal that is to much for you so u try to make the deal a bit more sweeter insted of lossing out

_five_by_five_
28th Sep 2006, 15:48
As far as I can tell if you negotiate to get a more advantagous offer the usual sympathy bonus of trade contracts gets cancelled even if the nation comes up with another offer and you accept it (observation of this aspect is difficult, because sympathy rating is a very "liquid" affair, and I have been puzzled often by changes in sympathy which were pretty uncalled for or inexplicable without being a programmer of the game ;) ).
If no second or third offer arrives or of course if you don't accept the last offer it's just like a refusal (meaning small drop in sympathy).
So, my advice: if you REALLY need every little sympathy bonus towards a nation you can get, take the first offer, otherwise just take a pragmatic approach and negotiate or refuse immediatly if you don't need the ressource.

Marshall Thomas
28th Sep 2006, 16:44
Is there any way to tell exactly how much sympathy has been reduce as a result of your refusal to accept the AI deal?

Do you sometimes get a chance to negotiate twice in one deal? I've never seen this. Sometimes when I choose the negotiate option, the AI does not come back with a new deal. Sometimes the AI will send back a slightly more favorable offer- but I've never seen the AI return with an offer after I've selected the negotiate option more than once.

Thanks in advance for any reponses.

_five_by_five_
29th Sep 2006, 00:53
Is there any way to tell exactly how much sympathy has been reduce as a result of your refusal to accept the AI deal?

No, because the sympathy or hostility gets rechecked every turn and incorporates a lot of input (how did you interact - peacefully or aggressive - with EVERY other nation, where are all your armies right now, did you build new armies, have you opened a sea trade route with anybody, how is your wealth compared to the AI etc etc), so there is no way to tell if your commercial interaction or its refusal cost you 0.1 or 0.2 points or any at all on the sympathy scale or not. And well, compared to most other events the sympathy effect of commercial transactions is negligible, in other words: don't bother too much ;)

Do you sometimes get a chance to negotiate twice in one deal? I've never seen this. Sometimes when I choose the negotiate option, the AI does not come back with a new deal. Sometimes the AI will send back a slightly more favorable offer- but I've never seen the AI return with an offer after I've selected the negotiate option more than once.

It does happen, yes, but it's rare. The AI has to have real serious interest in the transaction to do that (hefty lack of food combined with an overabundance of gold for example, happens in late game sometimes).

Marshall Thomas
29th Sep 2006, 01:03
The manner in which Imperial Glory handles sympathy, and diplomacy in general, seems far superior to most other current strategy games. Does building your army up(mobilization) really effect other nation's sympaythy towards your country? You mentioned sea trade routes; how do trades routes effect sympathy? Is there a list of actions which effect sympathy and to what degree? Thanks in advance

_five_by_five_
29th Sep 2006, 11:07
The AI checks your armies and their relative position to it's borders. So mobilization in the sense of placing new armies on the map is influencing the calculation, yes. However, the exact formula how this interferes with sympathy I can't tell you (there are some hints in the reglas-files, but my spanish isn't good enough ;) ).
Other effects are just my intuition and longterm playing impression, like building lot's of military structures (stables etc) in a row sometimes seems to have a negative effect, but that's hard to proove. I don't think there is a list out there that covers all, so there always is a little vagueness left, but that's ok with me, since sympathy is a vague concept in itself ;)
Interesting to note: pretty much everything that influences sympathy gets readjusted by differences between political systems. Positive effects become somewhat smaller between an Absolut Monarchy and a Democracy for example, negative effects bigger.

Every time you open up a sea trade route (or improve an existing one), you get a small one time sympathy bonus (between 1.5 and 3, can't remember the original amount exactly, because as mentioned I modded all those bonuses) with the country that owns that harbour. You can check the change with a right click on that nations provinces right after that action, because the effect takes place immediatly.

Marshall Thomas
29th Sep 2006, 17:08
If you declare war on a nation which has high sympathy ratings with other countries(but not a defensive alliance), does your nation recieve sympathy penalties with these countries?