PDA

View Full Version : T2 Problems

Bella Lagussi
23rd Sep 2006, 16:42
I'm having the same problem that Philc had with his game (see below "T2 bugs again") On the first mission the game finishes loading and then hangs at a black screen and stops responding. I already know how to change the affinity since I just beat The Dark Project, and it's doesn't seem to be a problem with T2 because for some reason it shuts off the second processor on its own so I don't have to go do it.

I'm trying to follow the same steps he did, but when I try to uncomment the safe_texture line, my PC says I have to get permission from the admin to save the file, even though I am an admin. After I got frustrated with that I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling with the D:\setup -Igntforce, but I have no clue what that is. I found the D:\setup file but I'm clueless as to where to go from there.

I'm running:
Windows XP Media Center Edition v.2002
Pentium 4, 3.20 GHz
1 Gb RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6800

Please HELP! I'm a Thief fanatic and I reallllllly wanna play these again!

theBlackman
23rd Sep 2006, 18:55
Start>run>D:\setup -Igntforce That is lowercase L not I.

Where D is what ever your CD drive letter is.

When you have the RUN screen up Browse to the CD that contains the SETUP EXE.

Click on the SETUP EXE and add the lgntforce line. It should look like this:

(your CD)":\setup.exe -lgntforce". Don't include the quotes. Be sure to include the SPACE.
Hit OK and install the game.

Then if needed set the compatibility, and disable one of the cores if you have a dual core processor.

Peter_Smith
23rd Sep 2006, 21:09
I am pretty sure Thief 2 does not shut off the second processor. It is a good game, but it is certainly not that smart. Try setting the affinity to one processor anyway and check whether that works.

TheBlackman is right about the install and the lgntforce flag. If not done right the first time, the install might cause problems, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Bella Lagussi
23rd Sep 2006, 23:59
Ok, I just finished installing the game again using the lgntforce thing, and I uncommented the safe_texture line, and the game does, for some reason unknown to me, always shut off the second processor when it runs, but it STILL does the same black screen whenever it finishes loading. I suspect it is a problem with the processors, although I have no idea what it could be since it says CPU 1 is off, which is how it was always set up when I ran The Dark Project.

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2006, 04:03
Try setting the affinity to one processor anyway and check whether that works.Did you try it? If not, I suggest you do.

What do you mean that "It says CPU1 is off"? What says? I have never heard of a CPU being "off" unless it is turned off in the BIOS, but that is semi-permanent. I have heard of them not being used for a particular process. What do you see if you bring up the Task Manager and look at the Performance tab?

Bella Lagussi
24th Sep 2006, 04:59
I read on this site that the way to shut off the a processor was to right click on the game's process and click set affinity. from there it takes me to a box with a list going from CPU 0 to CPU 9 or something like that, and they all have check boxes next to them. CPU 0 and CPU 1 are the only one's not in grey, I'm assuming because those are my two processors. To play The Dark Project I shut off CPU 1 and it worked perfectly. When I run The Metal Age, CPU 1 is always off when it starts up, so I don't have to worry about the affinity or anything.
Anyways, if I bring up Task Manager and check performance, there are two guages under CPU Usage and both of them rise and fall equally at all times. The CPU Usage History also has two boxes that graph jagged lines. When The Metal Age is running, the line in the first box goes straight up to the top of the box and keeps running straight across, while the second box's line stays just below the middle and moves up a down a lot. When TMA isn't running, the first one drops down to the same position as the second box.

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2006, 05:14
That only means that T2 is using one processor. It doesn't mean the other one is turned off. There still may be something going on that requires the affinity to be set for T2, just like you did for T1. Setting affinity means the process, all of it, is forced to use one processor. It does not mean the other is disabled. The OS may still have something to do in the other one. You need to try setting the affinity for T2, just to be sure. I feel like a broken record.

Bella Lagussi
24th Sep 2006, 05:30
??
Does "Set Affinity" not refer to right clicking on the process, clicking set affinity, and then fiddling with the CPU boxes? If it does, I have done that. If not, we've definitely got ourselves a failure to communicate.

Peter_Smith
24th Sep 2006, 07:06
Yes, setting affinity is that right clicking on the process and selecting only one CPU. I did not see where you said you had actually done that for T2. You said you did it for T1, which worked, but that you did not have to do it for T2 because T2 did it by itself (which I still do not understand). So, yes, we have had a failure to communicate. Anyway, if you have done it for T2 and it made no difference, then maybe we can rule that out. Maybe. It might still be needed to make it work in the end.

What version of video drivers do you have installed? 8xxx and below works with T2. 9xxx does not.

Bella Lagussi
24th Sep 2006, 14:33
They're version 7.1.8.9

Bella Lagussi
1st Oct 2006, 23:26
yessssss i figured it out!
For some reason my PC automatically set the game's compatability to Windows 98. That's why the affinity was always set for only one CPU, and for the black outs. I shut off the compatability settings and everything's good now, all I have to do is reset the affinity everytime before I play, just like with T1.

Peter_Smith
2nd Oct 2006, 03:20
Great! :)