PDA

View Full Version : Q&A on YouTube:

Vampmaster
2nd Oct 2013, 15:10
nDPsL1IX1Yc

(Hope no-one's posted it already.)

Vaspian
2nd Oct 2013, 15:15
Thank you for the update. I wanted to see this because I missed the beginning of the chat. :D

Turel2
2nd Oct 2013, 15:26
nice post :)

soulrelic616
2nd Oct 2013, 15:35
Yeah I'm watching this as I missed the entire thing! :)

Vampmaster
2nd Oct 2013, 15:39
I think I missed the first 10 mins and apparently there were some live chat questions answered after the video that I didn't get to see.

Moesph
2nd Oct 2013, 16:06
The questions being answered after the stream were answered in the chat, which I don't think anyone copied, but it wasn't really anything we weren't already told.

Limed00d
2nd Oct 2013, 16:46
He forgot my name.

I feel betrayed.

Kiertis
2nd Oct 2013, 16:54
Thanks for posting this! The answers you gave us were good in my opinion, can't really wait for the game to launch and start to grow with the players :D

Lord_Aevum
2nd Oct 2013, 19:43
I think I missed the first 10 mins and apparently there were some live chat questions answered after the video that I didn't get to see.

You really didn't miss an awful lot from the post-stream chat. It only went on for a short while and was mostly a matter of George having to repeat answers he had already clearly given (repetition after repetition of "but but Razielim were exterminated" etc), and trying to calmly address some of the people yelling and screaming nonsense and expletives at him.

One poster continued to spam this long tirade about Dead Sun hundreds of times in a row, and George somehow managed to get him to relax and started a dialogue with him. Another person utterly misinterpreted something which was mentioned about timelines, and subsequently threw a tantrum. Yet another guy continually told the developers to "go back to the LoK Wiki and check your facts", a statement Baziel and I laughed at and endlessly lampooned. That was the vast majority of it as far as I recall.

Corey Davis also tried to participate but was completely drowned out by the garbage posts, as most of us were.

George did reveal one new fact in chat only though: as far as the developers of Nosgoth are concerned, Turel gets summoned back in time to become Hash'ak'gik after all the events of SR1 end, beyond the battle in the Chronoplast chamber. So he's still active in that era and still ruling his territory when we play as Raziel. This was always possible but has never been confirmed before.

RainaAudron
2nd Oct 2013, 19:50
Now that´s interesting thing about Turel, Aeuvum, thanks for posting this here.

Paradoks_db
2nd Oct 2013, 19:56
George did reveal one new fact in chat only though: as far as the developers of Nosgoth are concerned, Turel gets summoned back in time to become Hash'ak'gik after all the events of SR1 end, beyond the battle in the Chronoplast chamber. So he's still active in that era and still ruling his territory when we play as Raziel. This was always possible but has never been confirmed before.
It does make sense when you look at what Turel himself says ("I heard what you did to them"). Although personally I would like it to take place before final battle with Kain. I always imagined that if a remake of SR1 would ever be made it would be nice to have actual territory playable, but the throne room empty. It would play out nicely with Raziel's words in SR2 about "vampire Turel eluding his vengeance".

Monkeythumbz
2nd Oct 2013, 19:57
It does make sense when you look at what Turel himself says ("I heard what you did to them").

Exactly.

Vampmaster
2nd Oct 2013, 19:59
@Lord_Aevum - Hahaha! So, he tells George to look at the wiki and then the people who wrote the wiki show up explain that the Nosgoth does in fact conform with the wiki. Classic!

I still don't get why so many people think that because the Razielim were wiped out that it had to be instantaneously. Not once has anyone on Nosgoth tried to say it never happened, just that it took a while. I'm really hoping someone will ask Amy if she ever said anything about it being instant or a direct order. Maybe they'll listen to her.

EDIT: Sorry, Paradoks and George. I didn't see your posts until after I'd typed mine.

Paradoks_db
2nd Oct 2013, 20:04
I'm really hoping someone will ask Amy if she ever said anything about it being instant or a direct order. Maybe they'll listen to her.
Amy answered the fate of Razielim by saying "this is currently unrevealed". As I said in other thread, I think not mentioning this in live Q&A was a lost opportunity.

Lord_Aevum
2nd Oct 2013, 20:05
@Paradoks

Yes it certainly does make sense (I personally prefer this outcome over the alternative), but there was still enough ambiguity before now, because Turel could have easily been told this by Azimuth, or might have learned it through the Hylden possessing him (who could perceive the time-stream and would know that the lieutenants get butchered).

Hyrosauce
2nd Oct 2013, 20:23
I missed the Q&A, so I'm glad to get a chance to watch it. Wow, this video really helps clear things up. These developers are doing a great job, I think, of touching the LoK series. There were a lot of "Oh, that makes sense!" moments and I am really starting to see the correlation between the old games now. These developers are doing an amazing job. Keep it up guys! I'm looking forward to it. I do hope I can be accepted into Beta!

Paradoks_db
2nd Oct 2013, 20:26
[...]
Indeed, the ambiguity was there. However I wouldn't put my money on Azimuth. She couldn't find the Reaver in her own cathedral :p. The hylden, if I remember correctly, had limited insight into time stream. This information is rather specific and placed very far into future. But I admit that the possibility was there.

Monkeythumbz
2nd Oct 2013, 20:33
Amy answered the fate of Razielim by saying "this is currently unrevealed". As I said in other thread, I think not mentioning this in live Q&A was a lost opportunity.

You have to understand, referencing Amy Hennig or the original team at Crystal D feels REALLY WEIRD as a huge fan of the series - I mean, as a fan I'd have said it was verging on the sacrilegious for me to do so.

Paradoks_db
2nd Oct 2013, 20:54
You have to understand, referencing Amy Hennig or the original team at Crystal D feels REALLY WEIRD as a huge fan of the series - I mean, as a fan I'd have said it was verging on the sacrilegious for me to do so.
Actually, I don't understand at all. People around community quote Amy Hennig all the time. Actually saying "Amy Hennig said..." is the strongest type of argument you can have, one that has to be taken into account, even by the most rabid naysayers (assuming they are interested in actual conversation). And right now you need such arguments. There is no shame in referencing the author of previous entries. It shows you are actually taking the lore seriously, and many (not talking about myself here) obviously have serious doubts about that.

By the way - I know you are very busy, but I would really appreciate if you read my posts about artistic direction on Eidos forums. I'm not asking for the answers to my questions, just that you read how I feel about the matter. Thank you in advance for your time.

The_Hylden
2nd Oct 2013, 21:52
Indeed. Those interviews with her and the rest of the team following post Defiance are the gold that this Legacy is funded by, so to speak. It answers questions possibly only made vague within the games; it fleshes out the series and is what we all adhere to when talking about the lore. No shame in it, indeed. She and the others made those interviews specifically for us, the fans, to help us understand some points perhaps that they didn't have time to flesh out fully in the games, or that not everyone simply got.

This is my first chance to actually catch up on the Q&A, which is unfortunate. But one thing with this and in the trailer that I've had on my mind and especially with some people questioning certain choices in the designs of some of the locations, I find this image specifically striking me as Hylden-esque. I know at the event and beyond it's been expressed that the Hylden aren't in the game, nor would I necessarily wish them to be. However, that aside, when I see the city here, it screams their very almost alien design, and when I see the statues specifically, those heads have what look to be Hylden crowns. They're probably masks and this is probably a vampire city, but the resemblance to Hylden crowns is undeniable, and so is their dress:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/HyldenCity_zps2f526241.png

Compared to Hylden seen here in murals:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/getimage4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/getimage5.jpg

...and their dress seen here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/HyldenNhylden.jpg

Architecture of the Hylden City:

http://images.wikia.com/legacyofkain/images/7/75/BO2-HC-HyldenCrypt.png

http://images.wikia.com/legacyofkain/images/7/7d/BO2-HC-WaterRoom1.png

Now, of course the statues are missing the wings of the Hylden. My point in all of this is that if this isn't supposed to be of their origin, this is very much resembling it and might draw some criticisms of style because of it, and if it is some sort of re-purposed Hylden city, by either the vampires, or more likely the humans, then I hope we get that as an explanation coming. The color pallet choice of blue tones on things also draws the comparison. If it were more reddish, or perhaps sandstone, and the statues weren't so crowned as they are, then it would not draw the same vibe. The other thing this type of blocky, quadrilateral architecture reminds me of is the Lost City in BO1 of the werewolves, but I am sure that is just the shapes of the buildings and the blocked out nature of them in the BO1 map.

Edit: I actually see Melchiah's clan symbol on a red banner there. (Should be yellow-orange, if so).

Dagren
2nd Oct 2013, 22:29
@The Hylden:
This concept art is used when they talk about the Vampire being their own culture, having their own cities in the trailer, so I'd guess this is a Vampire city. What is strange is that in Nosgoth the Vampire have this architectural/statue style that we would normally associate with the Hylden (the crown part on the statues as you said, but I'd add the Razielim helmet as well).
It was already a thing in Dead Sun as I mistook some kind of ancient warrior (I guess it must have been a Vampire) for a Hylden in the artworks that were revealed for that game, before George corrected me.
But since the two games shared art direction, it's not surprising.
I'd be interested to know why the art team decided to go with it, since to most LoK fans it evokes that Hylden vibe. Maybe they wanted to broaden that feel to all ancient races?

As for the topic at hand, thank you for posting this, Vampmaster. I missed it entirely. I'm a bit disappointed that a lot of questions I was interested in were answered with "can't talk about that right now" (game modes, ...), but I can understand why. Now I want the next Q&A :)

Vampmaster
2nd Oct 2013, 22:50
NP. I think I must have beaten George to it by seconds. I had a few on these sites open in the background while I was at work and I just spotted the update soon after it was posted.

The_Hylden
2nd Oct 2013, 22:57
Yup, and how it was described at the event when we went, again that there are no Hylden in Nosgoth. And yet, this feels far more a Hylden settlement than a vampire one. They should stick with more Arabic architecture, or even some slight industrial type structures for the clans (Melchiah and Dumah both embracing steam and mechanical-powered inner workings in their fortresses). And if this is the settlement/city in the Melchiah territory, as the banner suggests, then please fix the color on the banners and show some Mel statues. That would work far better to know where and what this is.

Paradoks_db
3rd Oct 2013, 00:00
Yup, and how it was described at the event when we went, again that there are no Hylden in Nosgoth. And yet, this feels far more a Hylden settlement than a vampire one. They should stick with more Arabic architecture, or even some slight industrial type structures for the clans (Melchiah and Dumah both embracing steam and mechanical-powered inner workings in their fortresses). And if this is the settlement/city in the Melchiah territory, as the banner suggests, then please fix the color on the banners and show some Mel statues. That would work far better to know where and what this is.
I completely agree with this (and your previous post). I made a very similar argument about the city on Eidos forums (although without the pictures), but that part of my post somehow got lost among palm trees :D. I didn't spot Melchiahim banner though and made my assumption based on narration of the video (the credit for spotting it goes to Therealrabban here (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7176&p=66066#post66066)).

On a side note, I don't think that Melchiahim territory we see in SR1 is their base during the intro sequence for one reason. It's a necropolis, and Raziel makes a comment about it: "This charnel house bore the unmistakable marks of Melchiah’s clan. To what depths had our dynasty plummeted, if these ghouls were the descendants of my high-born brother? Were they so debased as to recruit fledglings from the desiccated corpses here interred?"

The other thing this type of blocky, quadrilateral architecture reminds me of is the Lost City in BO1 of the werewolves, but I am sure that is just the shapes of the buildings and the blocked out nature of them in the BO1 map.

The architecture of Lost City is a clear example of Precolumbian architecture (just like Wind Forge in SR2).
I'm having problems pinpointing what we see on this picture. For the most part it's it's own style. If I was to point out possible inspirations I would say that the multi-level buildings are somewhat similar to Babylonian structures, but the domes look Byzantine (although similar ones were also used, just much less frequently in Islamic buildings as well).

Edit: One more point about Turel, why I think he shouldn't be at the end of SR1. Again, official Q&A:

Q: People want Turel, they think becasue SR2 says "eluded" or escaped my vengeance, I forget, that Raz actually met him. I was like no, he wasnt there. But alot of people want a Vampire Turel and more Malek.

A: No, Raziel never met Turel -- he means that Turel eluded him by his absence. I know people are anxious to (finally) meet Turel, and hope he's in SR3. Let's put it this way... we absolutely have not forgotten about Turel; he's a critical piece of the puzzle.
Emphasis mine.

The_Hylden
3rd Oct 2013, 04:12
Actually, yes to the pre-Columbian architecture. I was more referring to the flat roofed structures mixed in, and I felt it was more a grid structure than what it really is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/LostCity_zps96620649.jpg

Ah yes, the palms...

The damn PALMS!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/pgson/DefianceNoPalms_zps7d776b16.png

lol, curse them. Curse them all...

Vampmaster
3rd Oct 2013, 09:22
One more point about Turel, why I think he shouldn't be at the end of SR1. Again, official Q&A:

Q: People want Turel, they think becasue SR2 says "eluded" or escaped my vengeance, I forget, that Raz actually met him. I was like no, he wasnt there. But alot of people want a Vampire Turel and more Malek.

A: No, Raziel never met Turel -- he means that Turel eluded him by his absence. I know people are anxious to (finally) meet Turel, and hope he's in SR3. Let's put it this way... we absolutely have not forgotten about Turel; he's a critical piece of the puzzle.

Emphasis mine.

That doesn't mean he wasn't in that era at all. Just that he wasn't in the areas Raziel got to explore. The game didn't cover every place on the planet.

Lord_Aevum
3rd Oct 2013, 11:54
Emphasis mine.

To me that can just as easily be interpreted as his absence from the game, rather than his absence from Nosgoth at that time.

Paradoks_db
3rd Oct 2013, 13:42
I'm not saying it necessarily means that Turel was not there. I do think however that it is open to interpretation. Just like the cut line about "a millennium or a moment" is open to interpretation.

(great picture BTW The Hylden :)).

Reidbynature
3rd Oct 2013, 21:05
Turel still being present, but just missed in SR1 was news to me. I had just assumed he spent some time in the pit in Defiance and devolved more monstrously in captivity. I wonder if it would be worth showing in another game what, if anything, Turel was up to. Though I expect if that we were to see that covered in another game it would probably end up being another short cameo like in Defiance.

I wouldn't mind actually playing as Turel during that time in his own game. Despite knowing his eventual fate I think it would be great to wind a side story around Turel during those times.

I'd also love it if he looked like this.

http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/Images/Turel-Turel-Concept-03.JPG