PDA

View Full Version : Hangs on mission Load

Illysidyl
9th Sep 2006, 11:52
I just started playing and I'm having trouble. Basically, the game hangs when I try to load a game. When I load from the start-up screen, I get a progress meter and it works OK (most of the time). When I try to load from inside a game (or sometimes from the start up screen), i don't get the progress meter (just a black screen), I see my hard drive lights blink, but then nothing. From that point I can't alt-tab, or cntrl-alt-del and have to reboot. What's worse, is the same thing happens when I try to transition to the next game area. For example, the same thing happens in the first level, when I walk into the swirling blue smoke to get to the inner courtyard. Known issue? Work around?

Thanks ...

theBlackman
10th Sep 2006, 20:33
Read the FAQ at the top of this forum. WHAT GAME ARE YOU PLAYING?

List your system specs. CPU, Video card, etc.

Without this your question has no meaning.

Illysidyl
11th Sep 2006, 01:37
Thief Deadly Shadows

Its a fairly new Falcon Northwest with AMD 64 FX-60 Dual, 2 GB RAM, 2 NVIDA GeForce 7900GTX in SLI (Driver 9.1.4.7), and Creative X-FI Extreme music.

Note that I have turned off one of the CPU's using /numproc=1

theBlackman
11th Sep 2006, 18:48
There has been some success for CPU with the use of the "AFFINITY" settings to select a single core.

There has also been problems with the X-FI with the game.

You might try setting the COMPATIBILITY to Win2000. This has also worked for Blackout problems.

Illysidyl
12th Sep 2006, 01:59
Thanks blackman, I'll give the compatability thing a try. Should have tried that right away.

When you say blackout problems, do you mean an event where you actually get a black screen that you can't alt-tab, or ctrl-alt-del from?

I can't even start the game if I don't alt-tab out, then set the affinity settings to a single core. Once I do that, I can play the game .... until I try to load a level or hit one of the map transition areas (area's with blue swirling smoke). I ended up finding a tip to disable one core at boot time, and that seems to work too:

Right click My Computer, choose properties
Click Advanced
Click settings under start up and recovery
Click edit
Add the following to the last line:

/numproc=1

But neither setting the affinity, or the setting procs to one at boot time prevents the blackscreen when loading a level.

Thanks for the note ....

Illysidyl
15th Sep 2006, 01:11
Setting the compatability to WIN2000 did nothing. Interestingly enough, I didn't have to boot to single core using numproc=1 with win200 compatability check. I was able to start the game, and access the menu. When I clicked the load button however, the game hung completely (although I was able to recover using ctrl-alt-del).

I then checked windows 98 compatability and this time I was able to load the saved game and play. However, as soon as I tried to transition to another map (walking through the swirling mist) I got a blank, black screen and had to reboot.

Peter_Smith
15th Sep 2006, 07:43
I have no real idea what is causing your problem, but I can suggest a few of things to try. Most of the time, things like this are just a lot of trial and error to narrow down the cause. Unfortunately, the Thief games are a little fussy and are not supported on any platform on which they were not tested. Your system, with its dual core, SLI, and modern video drivers is well past the limit of testing in all respects.

From your description, I am not so sure that you have pressed the right "affinity button". It needs to be set for the thief.exe process. Did you read the various FAQ's regarding dual cores and dual processors? There is a FAQ at the TTLG Forum / General Thief Discussion that might help. There is a way to set the affinity permanently with a script. The FAQs cover that.

The problem is not with the start menus. The problem is with the game itself after the main graphics start. I don't have a dual processor now, so I can't test it. As I recall from several years ago, I think the correct procedure to do it manually (as a test) is:
Start the game, but don't go past the starting menu.
Go into task manager
Highlight and right click on the Thief process
Set the affinity of the process to any single processor.
[there might be a command button for the action - I can't remember]
Go back to the game and start the game-play part.
If this works, figure out the permanent fix using the script.

I suppose it could also be your SLI configuration. To test that theory, you could take out one of the graphics cards and see if it works. Or a combination of the two things.

Another thing, I recall reading recently (but don't remember the source), is that the latest Nvidia drivers may not work. You could try reverting to a version 8xxx. I don't know if 8xxx works in SLI or not. You might try searching for Nvidia drivers to find the source.

Good luck, and please post back with the details of your solution if you find it.

funnygus
22nd Dec 2007, 19:34
I just started playing and I'm having trouble. Basically, the game hangs when I try to load a game. When I load from the start-up screen, I get a progress meter and it works OK (most of the time). When I try to load from inside a game (or sometimes from the start up screen), i don't get the progress meter (just a black screen), I see my hard drive lights blink, but then nothing. From that point I can't alt-tab, or cntrl-alt-del and have to reboot. What's worse, is the same thing happens when I try to transition to the next game area. For example, the same thing happens in the first level, when I walk into the swirling blue smoke to get to the inner courtyard. Known issue? Work around?

Thanks ...

This is an old thread, but I've encountered precisely the same problem and have found at least a workaround.

The problem occurs when trying to load a saved game, or leave a zone. In both cases, a confirmation screen (yes/no) is supposed to pop up. It seems that if your screen resolution is any multiple of 16:9 (like 1920x1080), the computer will hang trying to display that confirmation screen.

Loading/zoning works fine at 1920x1200, (16:10), or any of the 4:3 ratios, but never at any 16:9 resolution. I've been able to replicate this using 3 different generations of Nvidia cards (latest drivers in each case).

If I want to run the game on a 16:9 monitor, I need to use one of the in-game resolutions, and avoid using the "resolution = -1" widescreen hack. It's a bit of a drag to have the black bars down either side, but otherwise the game runs flawlessly with bloom, AA, etc.

Hopefully someone with the same problem will stumble on this solution and find it works for them too. It's a pity that such an enjoyable and relatively young (3-year-old) game still on sale needs so many workarounds (affinity *ahem*) and hacks to be playable on even midrange modern machines...