PDA

View Full Version : NEED UR OPINION PLEASE- vs AoD: Legend worth it?

kimbakal
5th Sep 2006, 06:09
Hi- 1st off, I'm fairly inept to the computer interaction world & forums... so please forgive any questions & actions you may find brainless!

2nd- I don't feel like searching thru thousands of threads?(which I take means topics?!!) to answer my questions - so if this has been discussed a million times before- again, my apologies.

3rd- I'm a PS2 user.. love TR since it came out in '96. W/each new game, improvements were made & some things lost... I enjoy the mystery, frustration, puzzles, & being so enthralled in the game, I'd be on the edge of my seat as I rounded a corner, & jump or scream when something jumped out at me.. or being frustratred as hell cause I couldn't figure something out till the 20th time around the room then BAM it hits you what to do...

I was psyched about the switch to PS2 w/AoD - played it, hated it...well, that's too harsh- hate the movement, the controls, & the BIGGEST thing I don't like is the automatic action crap...and the little icons/hand to let me know there is 'something to do'.!! Hello! I liked trying to figure it out and moving Lady Croft WHEN & WHERE I wanted! I don't need, NOR want a hand to display should I walk by a drawer, cabinet, or movable block... or a walk icon to tell me i'm walking! ...oops fell off and died...that's the challenge...frustrating as it is!!!! and forget about the damn camera angles - yes effects and graphics are great, no question!

SO - For those gamers who enjoy the "game" and moving, thinking for yourselves...NOT just the graphics & multitude of weaponry, combos...or what "outfit" is best... is "Legend" an improvement from AoD??

Movement & Camera angles? This is probably my biggest problem w/AoD! Are they better in Legend?

Action sequences?? are you in control??... i.e. if you let go of (X) Action... does she fall... if near a ladder or box does she automatically get on??

I never finished AoD... tried playing it again tonight...(after about a 2yr hiatus) and just can't get into it... - Do you thing it's necessary to finish AoD to play LEGEND???

sorry for being so lengthy.. your game opinions are appreciated.

aussie500
5th Sep 2006, 11:20
Legend and AOD are to seperate games, you do not need to have played any previous Tomb Raiders to play Legend. Legend in my opinion is a great improvement compared to AOD. You have brilliant control over both Lara and the camera in Legend, first time you actually get to look at Lara from all angles. The camera is intuitive (think that the right term) in Legend, the only time you will really need to move it is after Lara has stopped moving, and possibly when fighting the bosses, although you can change the combat mode to overcome the later problem. Unfortunately Legend is a lot easier to play, with many hints and the auto grab, than previous games. Although l did finish playing AOD on the PS2, and thought it was a great game, the difficult controls and many bugs meant l have not replayed it since, it was just to frustrating getting Lara to move right. l am currently toying with the idea of playing it on the PC, now l have a gamepad, but l am not being to enthusiastic. If you have not played Legend yet, and have enjoyed playing Tomb Raiders 1-5 l would recommend when you play for the first time turn the voice volume down as far as it will go and turning the music volume way down or almost off. You will enjoy the game much more. The music in Legend is brilliant, for a movie, in a game it acts as a spoiler for certain scenes, and prevents you becoming immersed in the game. When you replay the game you could do it with the music and Zip and Alister chatting in your ear every five seconds. You will still get the music and voices in the cut scenes, and Lara talking in game. If you have had no trouble with the fighting in previous games l would recommend playing Legend on hard mode, if fighting is not your strong point an easier mode will give more health packs, and Lara will take less damage when attacked. Also when searching for previous threads this forum does have a search function to make it easier

Laraman
5th Sep 2006, 17:30
BIGGEST thing I don't like is the automatic action crap...and the little icons/hand to let me know there is 'something to do'.!! Hello! I liked trying to figure it out and moving Lady Croft WHEN & WHERE I wanted!

Automatic actions - she has auto-grab which will automatically grab things and re-align your jumps.

Icons - there's grapple icons and shiny surfaces to show you that you can grapple stuff.
If you use the RAD mode of the binoculars (which are optional by the way) you'll find out what part of the environment is useable, unless you're on easy mode in which all interactive items glow anyway.

Moving Lara Lara - you can move her when you want but where... the game follows a very linear path which the majority of times you can't stray off. Basically the exploration factor has gone.

Altho' personally I'd buy it, play and judge it for yourself and if you don't like it just trade it back in at a store.

LaraGirl216
5th Sep 2006, 17:53
AOD is no match for Legend I must say not just the graphics, but the storyline. If you didn't like Legend why don't you just sell it???

:rasp: :rasp: :rasp:

LaraGirl216

P.S I just had to put the rasp!

Sophia Leigh
5th Sep 2006, 23:48
Legend is brilliant, my advice though when playing is to put it on the hard setting (there are three to choose from) and collect all the secrets from the start, which is what I did but there were a lot of comments around here that the game was "too easy" or "too short", but some of those comments came from people using the easy setting and not collecting the secrets (rewards).

You don't get hand icons in Legend but you do get Lara turning her head and looking at things which is pretty much the same type of thing.

I really enjoyed AOD on the PS2 but got frustrated on PC.

In my opinion the perfect games would have been the AOD story with the Legend controls, polish etc.

digifan
7th Sep 2006, 18:55
Two things.

First, welcome aboard.

Second, comparing AoD to Legend is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both fruits but they are not the same. I've played both games. Frankly I prefer Legend's gameplay, graphics, and storyline better than AoD. The controls for Legend is simplified and easy to understand. It is supported by a smooth storyline of Lara's history, background and why she had become a hunter of lost relics.

I've found AoD's controls to be very confusing and complicated. It took me several days to figure out the controls, left alone playing and enjoying the game. For me this game's storyline is hard to follow. Also AoD left me feeling frustrated. To be brunt, AoD had very little to do with raiding tombs. IMO this game is closer to formulating a female version of the Fugitive for gameplay.:o :scratch: :eek:

If anything I want to see sequels to Legend by expanding on the game's ending. Just my two point five credit worth. Interests ya know. :rasp:

Headache
7th Sep 2006, 22:56
Yes, AOD and Legend are completely different in every way: looks, outfits, graphics, controls, interactive cutscenes, characters, storyline, inventory etc. Legend is far superior comapred to AOD, but don't get me wrong AOD is a good game in it's own way.
And to answer your question, no you don't need to finish AOD to play Legend - BUT, Legend is worth buying and putting time into (not that there's that much needed...)
:D

kimbakal
8th Sep 2006, 08:26
Thank you everyone for the detailed information...and answering my questions! Exactly the type of information I was looking for!!! Much appreciated! Looks like it will be on the list to buy :) ! Thanks for all the tips... sound, effects, playing in Hard mode - I take it, no walkthru is needed? ;) since it sounds like a quickie game...(drag). Glad to hear it wasn't just me freaking on the controls with AoD!

aussie500
8th Sep 2006, 10:57
No it was not just you having problems with the AOD control system, it was a pain almost literally, l can truthfully say l have never played a game that had worse controls. Or such a glitchy camera that would suddenly change the angle so you ended up going the opposite direction to what you intended, often at the most inconvenient time. It took a lot of patience to persevere with AOD, but it was worth it in the end in my opinion

Bloody Angel of Darkness
18th Sep 2006, 10:30
I enjoyed both of the games.
(OK,I've almost smashed my PS2while playing AoD but still like it.Of course I've not finished yet.Si i might still smash it:mad2: )
Anyway,what I wanted to say is that I would't turn down nor the music nor the sound effects if I were you.Zip's and Alister's chatting add a bit salt and insight to the story and making the game a bit less lonely than the previous "raidings".The music indeed acts as a spoiler at times

(e.g. POSSIBLE SPOILER !!!!!!!! Who didn't figure out that there would be "little" something in the lake in England by the sounds and music you would hear while swimming in it?!!!!!!!!!!)

but is very good and the game wouldn't be the same without these elements.
Try the hardest level if you find it too short and easy.

aussie500
18th Sep 2006, 14:39
But the main problem with the music is that it removes you from feeling like you are actually there, rather than leaving you feeling like you have played the game, it feels more like you have watched the game being played by someone else. Fair enough l know l lot of the new fans prefer it that way, but a lot of the more traditional fans like to become more immersed in the game, we like to hear the sounds around us, Lara's footsteps as she jogs down the corridors, the trickle of water around the corner, all adds to the feeling of being there, the feeling of solitude (not counting the 6 mercs waiting around the corner). And frankly l found Zip and Alister just plain annoying after about 15 minutes, and simply stopped listening anyway (which is why it took me 10 minutes to work out l was doing the wrong thing at the end of the Kazakhstan level:lmao:). Also a tomb raider game needs to have at least a few unexpected suprises, a bit of suspense, the music removed any chance of this happening by giving advance warning by the change in tempo that an "action" scene was coming up. Ruined what should have been a nasty shock in the lake in Cornwall, although yes we did get a hint of something nasty in the water when Lara first swam across the lake

Headache
18th Sep 2006, 21:19
But the main problem with the music is that it removes you from feeling like you are actually there, rather than leaving you feeling like you have played the game, it feels more like you have watched the game being played by someone else. Fair enough l know l lot of the new fans prefer it that way, but a lot of the more traditional fans like to become more immersed in the game, we like to hear the sounds around us, Lara's footsteps as she jogs down the corridors, the trickle of water around the corner, all adds to the feeling of being there, the feeling of solitude (not counting the 6 mercs waiting around the corner). And frankly l found Zip and Alister just plain annoying after about 15 minutes, and simply stopped listening anyway (which is why it took me 10 minutes to work out l was doing the wrong thing at the end of the Kazakhstan level:lmao:). Also a tomb raider game needs to have at least a few unexpected suprises, a bit of suspense, the music removed any chance of this happening by giving advance warning by the change in tempo that an "action" scene was coming up. Ruined what should have been a nasty shock in the lake in Cornwall, although yes we did get a hint of something nasty in the water when lara first swam across the lake
I agree with you.