PDA

View Full Version : Bafford's scepter doesn't show in DromEd

maddermadcat
1st Sep 2006, 00:46
I placed Bafford's scepter on the table as instructed by the tutorial, but can't see it in the editor or game mode. I tried going into the object editor and found the scepter, then clicked on "edit." There I found the rendering option and set it to "Normal." Still nothing... I have no idea what to do! Help!
EDIT: All other treasure objects work just fine.

Eshaktaar
1st Sep 2006, 06:54
Set Has Refs to TRUE, and the scepter should appear.

maddermadcat
1st Sep 2006, 15:51
Thanks, it's visible now, but I can't pick it up.

Eshaktaar
1st Sep 2006, 17:12
Add Engine Features->FrobInfo to the scepter and set World Action to Move (so it gets moved into you inventory when you frob it in the world).

The reason why the tutorial doesn't mention these things is because it was made for the first Thief game's DromEd, and some things are a bit different in DromEd 2.

maddermadcat
1st Sep 2006, 18:06
Alright, now I can pick it up.
One thing I noticed: sometimes, Garrett goes into some sort of god mode for (as far as I know) no reason. He can just fly around wherever he wants. How can I prevent this from happening?
Also, my map is getting a lot more complex now. Is there any way to hide certain parts of the map while I'm working on another?
EDIT: Nvm, I figured out how to prevent it. I'm still wondering whether I can hide certain parts of the map to make it cleaner while working.

John D.
1st Sep 2006, 19:17
Shift Q is what you hit to fly, as for being selective of specific areas, use the area brush and hit 'me only'.:thumbsup:

Eshaktaar
1st Sep 2006, 19:20
You can create area brushes (look for the Area button) and declare one of them Me Only so only the brushes and objects within this area brush are shown.

maddermadcat
1st Sep 2006, 20:02
Thanks, that should speed up my progress.
Another question (what do you expect, I'm a newbie): how can I use the stair tool? I'm not sure what it does, but I think it's supposed to make stairs and that's what I need right now. :p

Eshaktaar
1st Sep 2006, 22:33
To be honest I never bothered with the stair tool. Just create a cube that encloses the space where you want the stairs to be, select it, hit the Stair Tool and experiment with the options.

maddermadcat
1st Sep 2006, 22:59
The stair tool is kinda hard to predict, but will be useful...
How can I change the object names that appear in the inventory? Herb bags are just called "food," and I'd like to change that...

R_Soul
1st Sep 2006, 23:09
Add an 'Inventory > Object Name' property to the object and type in anything you want (Name_something is the convention though)

Open Thief2\Res\strings.crf with winzip/winrar etc and extract 'Objnames.str'
Put that file in the Thief2\strings\ folder (create it if it doesn't already exist).

Open the file with notepad/wordpad etc and on a new line type Name_something: "Blah"
Replace Blah with whatever text is to appear under the object.

Yandros
2nd Sep 2006, 09:48
Put that file in the Thief2\strings\ folder (create it if it doesn't already exist).
It should go all the way down into T2\strings\english in case the mission is ever translated though, eh?

maddermadcat
2nd Sep 2006, 16:26
Thanks! Right now, Garrett just kinda falls through the floor in one of the rooms, but I think I can fix that on my own...
EDIT: I have changed my question... How can I make a Builder's child be deactivated but also destructable without being counted as dead? I want destroying the inactive children to be one of the objectives. Also, how can I make the golden boy (mechanist cherub) be destructible?
EDIT 2: I have two re-sized BreakWinS objects, and somehow, Garrett can walk right through them... How can I fix that?