PDA

View Full Version : Maybe JUST maybe ...

knightgames
27th Aug 2006, 08:51
...Eidos will read this and realize that Mr. Livingstone's information may be wrong.

There's a definate disparity between what many fans say they like and what game companies say fans like.

Case in point:

In an 'press conference' a question was asked: Why Legend was so short? Ian replied that gamers these days prefer a short, sharp thrill ride as opposed to a long, drawn out experience.

Well virtually all reviews and forum posters I read overwhelmingly agree TRL was too short.

So kind reader..... what say you? Would you prefer the 'short thrill ride' or a well constructed and LONGER game that can STILL be a THRILL RIDE?

Just post below.... YEAH or NAY.

YES I want short games....

or

No I prefer longer games....

Please keep it cordial. I may be tilting at windmills, but with a definite yes or no about short games, Eidos may be more willing to listen and take into account what fans like.

I didn't notice an option for a poll so if one IS available can a mod do so...... at least with a physical percentage representation Eidos will know what players of TR like.

TRBeth
27th Aug 2006, 12:51
Eidos knows what the fans think and they know what the reviews were. You think they are going to admit that the game was too short, too linear, too easy, too James Bondish? Not enough of the old TR feel? :scratch:

Hopefully CD will not sit on their laurels and will work at improving the issues cited everywhere by everybody. There were a lot of good things done with LEGEND, but some issues that need to be fixed too. Fans are very forgiving with TR, but unfixed mistakes will loose a lot of the original fanbase, and a lot of money for Eidos.

Listen to the people.

Natla'd
27th Aug 2006, 13:31
No, I prefer longer games. I like to get my money's worth out of something.

digifan
27th Aug 2006, 15:48
I would pick "C" for none of the above.

CIP I am a long time TR fan. I had played all its previous editions. To me the longest TR game is TRIII where the adventure actually get harder as you move from level to level. It took me nearly twenty hours to complete the game in the first run. To me Legend is an above average game as far as game time is concern. Afterall I don't think there are any current games that you can complete within five hours with normal settings.I had managed to complete the game under ten hours of continous normal setting play.

What would critics consider a game as average length is beyond me. Do they prefer a game with a complex three hour tuitorial such as the one seen in Kingdom Hearts? Or do they prefer gameplay where we can go directly to the action? I think CD did the right thing. They had incorporated a brief game play summary and introduction of the main controls to the non TR gamer in a clear and easy to understand format.

No matter what the bottom line is the experience of the game play. Was it enjoyable? Or was it frustrating? Frankly I don't really care. As long as I enjoy playing the game, who cares how long or how short it might be, no?

burt_ie
27th Aug 2006, 16:18
No, I prefer longer games :rasp:

Natla'd
27th Aug 2006, 18:26

What would critics consider a game as average length is beyond me. Do they prefer a game with a complex three hour tuitorial such as the one seen in Kingdom Hearts? Or do they prefer gameplay where we can go directly to the action? I think CD did the right thing. They had incorporated a brief game play summary and introduction of the main controls to the non TR gamer in a clear and easy to understand format.

No matter what the bottom line is the experience of the game play. Was it enjoyable? Or was it frustrating? Frankly I don't really care. As long as I enjoy playing the game, who cares how long or how short it might be, no?

Allowing the player to get straight into the action doesn't nessecarily mean they have to scrimp on game time. The Getaway delivers you straight into the game after the cutscene - no tutorial, no explanations, no nothing - and it took me about 25 hours to complete that game.

If you're enjoying a game, surely you'd like the experience to go on as long as possible? I had fun on Tomb Raider Legend, which made me all the more disappointed when it ended so soon.

(BTW, digifan, your Kingdom Hearts theory is flawed - many would claim that Tomb Raider Legend is a three-hour tutorial...;))

shaahinkaaveh
27th Aug 2006, 20:16
Well, in my case the answer would be "No, I prefer long TRs".

Actually the question isn't "who are you", but more "where do you come from": "Gamers these days prefer Bikinis as opposed to bonus levels". I can accept this sentence in case you explain:

1-Who are "gamers these days"? Sure you don't mean all gamers, but you mean in average. OK, now you must specify your definition of "gamers", so that we can say if your average is calculated correctly.

2-Where did you find your documents? How did you research?

3-What is your motivation? Are you a simple advertisement in the shape of a human, or you are talking about something real. If you're trying to say you are some good guys who never make a mistake (and your money proves that), then I have no complaints. If you don't care at all about those who are your fans since ten years, and prefer to shut them up and throw them in garbage can, just because you're a "gaming company" and in this context quality and creativity is of no importance, then ok.

I guess creativity must have a room in your industry, since you've produced creative games before. Crystal Dynamics is the company which developed Legacy of Kain, which at least contains many new ideas.

shurik
3rd Sep 2006, 04:34
Well I like longer games better, with the thrill still in it of course!! Legend was good but I realy wish it was longer indeed!

You should've make a POLL, but if you couldn't find it I guess it it's alright.