PDA

View Full Version : Reassign controls?...

JumboJet
25th Aug 2006, 13:29
Hello,

I downloaded the demo yesterday, installed it today and...wtf, I can't reassign the controls?? :scratch:

I always use the arrows to move arround in games, never the keyboard letters. Don't get me wrong, game looks pretty good, but this is weird not to say a bit ridiculous. I guess it won't be like that in the final version but right now it's a pain in the ass to play the demo...anyway to fix it?

Thanks

jakeylake
25th Aug 2006, 13:43
In the full game you will be able to set your own keys but seeing as its only a demo u cant... i know its a bit disapointing but buy the full version and u will be able 2

JumboJet
25th Aug 2006, 14:06
Yep I understand that ^^

Well finally it went ok with the letters in the game ;)

locinvar
25th Aug 2006, 16:49
"Just Cause" begs to be compared with “Far Cry”.

With the Far Cry Demo you can change the controls, and I bought the game.

In my case if I cannot change the controls I cannot play the demo.
If I cannot play the demo the likelihood I buy the game is greatly diminished.

Far Cry also allows changing between third person and first person views. (I like that. I am a bigger fan of first person views over third person)

Lets hope Eidos allows their players to decide how they want to play their games.

Note to Eidos, Demos sell games. Allow your demos the complete range of options that the full game have. You can make it short, you can make it sweet, but do not cripple it so much you lose sales.

Right now Just Cause is not a must buy for me

DreamEndless
25th Aug 2006, 21:06
Err.. 2 things:
1, not playing a demo 'cos you can't change the keys is a mite churlish...
2, you can't play Far Cry in 3rd person...?:scratch:

seligkram
26th Aug 2006, 19:06
Hello,

I downloaded the demo yesterday, installed it today and...wtf, I can't reassign the controls?? :scratch:

I always use the arrows to move arround in games, never the keyboard letters. Don't get me wrong, game looks pretty good, but this is weird not to say a bit ridiculous. I guess it won't be like that in the final version but right now it's a pain in the ass to play the demo...anyway to fix it?

Thanks

I totally agree - not being able to change the controls in a demo is plain stupid; prospective purchasers need to know how the game will feel for them using their own preferred methods.

A few years back, a demo came out, and you were not even able to invert the up/down axis!! WTF!!

I couldn't get used to the inverted system, so I didn't play it, nor buy the game!!!

NonEx
27th Aug 2006, 03:43
If, and I hope they do, allow reassignable controls, make sure your info system in the HUD telling you which keys does what during gameplay gets updated with your owd defined keys, I hate when the HUD still states the default controllers ! :mad:

Hehe. Oh, maybe I just missed it or is there no crouch ?

locinvar
27th Aug 2006, 06:30
Letting the user make changes can only be good.

But first! Yes you can play Fry Cry in 3rd Person

I recommend before you post try “Google”.

You might find this for Far Cry

Add the " -DEVMODE" parameter (without the quotes) at the end of the target field so it looks similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" -DEVMODE

[F1] - Toggles first/third-person camera modes

I have done it. It works.

Also no one needs to start "name calling" others might think that was like having a bad disposition or being rude and boorish.

Being able to change keys assignments might be advantageous if one was let's say handicapped. Can you play this game with only one hand without changing a single key assignment? I think not.

Or let's say in the last few years I stopped having anything to do with "W". Therefore I can only play the game if I change the keys.

Nevertheless, change is Good

We did not leave the "Stone Age" because we lacked stones. We left the "Stone Age" seeking change and a better way of doing things.

My post was to let Eidos know they could do better and make more money with very little extra work.

There is no second chance to make a first impression.

DreamEndless
27th Aug 2006, 16:51
Letting the user make changes can only be good.

But first! Yes you can play Fry Cry in 3rd Person

I recommend before you post try “Goggle”.

You might find this for Far Cry

Add the " -DEVMODE" parameter (without the quotes) at the end of the target field so it looks similar to this:

"C:\Program Files\UBISOFT\Crytek\Far Cry\Bin32\FarCry.exe" -DEVMODE

[F1] - Toggles first/third-person camera modes

I have done it. It works.

Also no one needs to start "name calling" others might think that was like having a bad disposition or being rude and boorish.

Being able to change keys assignments might be advantageous if one was let's say handicapped. Can you play this game with only one hand without changing a single key assignment? I think not.

Or let's say in the last few years I stopped having anything to do with "W". Therefore I can only play the game if I change the keys.

Nevertheless, change is Good

We did not leave the "Stone Age" because we lacked stones. We left the "Stone Age" seeking change and a better way of doing things.

My post was to let Eidos know they could do better and make more money with very little extra work.

There is no second chance to make a first impression.

I'll be honest, I've not really caught all of what you said as it didn't make total sense, but I don't see me or anyone else calling you names...?

As to Far Cry, yes you can use the dev console to get 3rd person, but it is not an actual part of the game. Every FPS ever made has the option to view characters from 3rd person; it is a useful design tool. Confusing this as part of the game then complaining when it is not available in another title is just odd.
What is even more odd is complaining there is no 1st person view in a game that has from day one been promoted as a 3rd person action game....:confused:

Oh and before you post, I recomend you READ your own post (Re: "Goggle"...)

locinvar
27th Aug 2006, 18:07
So in your world being called a mite "Churlish" is not name calling.

Nevertheless, I still have disability and still cannot play this game with the default keyboard layout.

Other posters as well feel they too should be allowed to change the keys to suit their best interest.

Again my point is to make suggestions that help make a better game for all.

And your point is????

DreamEndless
27th Aug 2006, 22:17
So in your world being called a mite "Churlish" is not name calling.

Nevertheless, I still have disability and still cannot play this game with the default keyboard layout.

Other posters as well feel they too should be allowed to change the keys to suit their best interest.

Again my point is to make suggestions that help make a better game for all.

And your point is????

My point is: Yes, not being able to define your own keys is crap.

BUT! Many, many, many, many game demos have this issue. Many more will continue to have this issue. The game itself will let you define all controls.

So, my point actually is: Move the hell on! The binding of the controls is NOT what should guide your purchase. You have been told by people who have played the full game that you can re-map everything, so just use the demo as what it is: A technology show

Sincerely I am sorry if you cannot see this, and I am equally disspondant if I have offended you (Hell, I don't know ya, so I can't dislike ya!) but there are far, far, far worse things to dis games for (Look to DX:IW, GRAW, DNF,ETC)

Mtnhi
28th Aug 2006, 17:01
I agree 1,000,000 lemmings cannot be wrong.

You got to love it, the “Everyone else does it....” defense.

Looks like a fun game

Is the current release date still 19 September 2006?

microneo
1st Sep 2006, 06:47
Hello all
i agree with most of you about that a demo sells a game and therfore should have a complete set of functions and settings.

If i try a demo of a game i am looking to see if the game is compatible with my
keyboard handicap because how often i try i just cant get it right on a keyboard and am bound to my logitech dual analog controller.

And with me there are more that just cant play with a keyboard even though i know a majority of gamers use a keyboard with easy and even prfer it there is a market for people that do not use the keyboard.

Now this has become a rant where my intention was actualy to inform if there might be suport for controllers in the final release of the game ... does anyone know?? please reply thaks a milion

Dimhenion
1st Sep 2006, 07:51
All I know is I REALLY want to adjust the sensitivity in the demo...it felt like I had to swing the mouse across my desk just to move it over to the left or right a little bit...the first guy you're supposed to kill almost got away because of it...