PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! I have heard from GumDrop!!!

BrokenArts
20th Aug 2006, 00:10
:D

Yes, I am excited, can't you tell. I have to share the good news. I have missed this mang like hell.

Many of you have missed this taffer. He did get my snail mail I sent awhile back. I have missed this b@stard of a friend for too long now. ;) Tonight I get an email from GumDrop, he is afraid to log in, afraid of what he'll find. Us with torches in hand, no such nonsense. He has missed us, life has snagged him in, but, he is rising from the ashes. He never forgot us, we never forgot him. I shall wrangle him, and get his butt back in here!!

I just wanted to write and let you all know, he is doing ok, we've heard from him, maybe this post will flush him out. He made my day. Miss you GumDrop!! :D

Nightwalker
20th Aug 2006, 02:33
I think we've all wondered where he disappeared to! I hope he comes back. Don't let him get away, BA!

theBlackman
20th Aug 2006, 03:01
:thumbsup: Hallelulah Hallileulah, Ah hell, send me his EM. I miss the little guy. Thanks for letting us know.

Just ain't the same without him.

littlek
20th Aug 2006, 12:32
Reel him in!

maddermadcat
20th Aug 2006, 20:18
I wish I was around here longer... :(

Hawklette
21st Aug 2006, 02:45
Just popped in again and happy to hear about Gummy. Seems a few of us, that have been missing, are finding out that life is better with Thief than anything! :D

BrokenArts
21st Aug 2006, 02:49
Hawklette, good to see you again girl! :) Some of the taffers, old skool are coming out of the shadows again.

maddermadcat, better late than never.

Hawklette
21st Aug 2006, 08:13
Hawklette, good to see you again girl! :) Some of the taffers, old skool are coming out of the shadows again.

maddermadcat, better late than never.

Happy to see you are still (Hanging around) Brokenarts hehehe!! I realize now how much I have missed you all! :D Good to see so many others popping out of the shadows too. :D

theBlackman
21st Aug 2006, 08:58
Great to hear from you also Hawklette.

BA, and all: I contacted the Admin and got Gummie reset to log in. All he has to do is hit the forum and "Forgot Password". He'll get a note at his new Email addy, which is how EIDOS tracks the user info.

Thanks for the help BA.

Dusty

Buglesoft
21st Aug 2006, 17:47
Buglesoft quickly douses his torch and hides it behind him as he smiles benignly. Hi GumDrop, hope you do drop back in!

BrokenArts
21st Aug 2006, 18:18
I just received another email from him today. :) I'll send a link to this thread. He'll read it. Thanks for the kind replies everyone, I know it will mean a great deal to him. He'll be in soon enough.

*cheers*

Rommel_1891
21st Aug 2006, 18:20
Rommel un-brandishes noose and whipping chain...

Never mind those Gumdrop, it's just an odd fetish I have. :rasp:

Now stop hiding and post us a comment or two! :D

Huntress
21st Aug 2006, 20:04
I'm also happy at this news of our Gummie hanging out there somewhere and was able to connect with BA to let us know that he is fine, but will certainly echo the hope that our friend does join in again and post some of his latest escapades. Hey Gums, come on in as the fireplace has a warm glow and there's plenty of cheese, Burrick steaks, apples and of course a brew just waiting ;) Ta and Good Hunting!

Hawklette
22nd Aug 2006, 16:29
Great to hear from you also Hawklette.

BA, and all: I contacted the Admin and got Gummie reset to log in. All he has to do is hit the forum and "Forgot Password". He'll get a note at his new Email addy, which is how EIDOS tracks the user info.

Thanks for the help BA.

Dusty

Tried to do a Happy Birthday to you the other day TBM. Eidos kicked me off and I couldn't get on the rest of the day. Anyway hope you had a good one!!:D

Shadow Creepr
23rd Aug 2006, 17:00
It's good to know that Gummie is ok. Thanks for letting us know, BA. :D

Gumdrop
23rd Aug 2006, 19:41
Oh my sweet gubbin's, I can't believe how many oldschool Taffer's are still lodging under this roof!!! :eek:

HUGE thanks for the warm welcome (I'm guessing BA clocked me entering the South Gate and scooted on ahead). It feels kinda strange to walk on the hollowed planks of this 'ere bar room again - and I see somebody has been tampering with my Marnier keg! Ah well, it does feel good to be in from the cold again. I can also see lots of unfamiliar faces peering from the shadows so I guess I'll be lucky to get a slab to sleep on in the common room. No matter... I can bed down with the Burricks in the stable. I'm sure they'll remember my scent and make room! :D

So where have I been? Well the real world has been giving me a bit of a thrashing these past 18 months. I won't go into all the details but it started it off with a RL burglary on my house (don't worry, I won't be pointing the finger). It wasn't so bad them getting away with most of my electronics, but they even raided my fridge, and my cheese slices weren't insured. Luckily I keep my crunchy deer legs in the meat locker.

Anyway it's real good to be back, and now I've got a PC again I guess I'd better start by buying (and playing) T3 - even though I know there's no Burricks in it! And as I'm coming home to roost I guess the drinks are on m...

Oh god... this is TOO MUCH! Who's been abusing my tab? How many "Fire Anima" Vodka doubles?! :eek:

*sigh*

Some things never change! :)

Shadow Creepr
23rd Aug 2006, 20:00
Gummie!!! Good to see you again. :) As you can tell you have been missed. Sorry about the trouble you have had in RL. I'm glad that you are all sorted out and back with us again.

Thanks again to BA for the update too. Honestly, I think she was going to send me out on a search and rescue party soon. ;)

BrokenArts
23rd Aug 2006, 21:50
Not sure what happened, GumDrop replied to this, got an email notification about his reply. I read it via email, came in here, and it's not posted. Forum had a brain fart, or he deleted it, and he's taffing with us. :P

Zaccheus
23rd Aug 2006, 21:59
OMG!!!

Zaccheus while checking out his ancient HTML tutorial clicks on the Eidos Forums link and finds news of Gumdrop!
:lmao:

Oh my sweet gubbin's, I can't believe how many oldschool Taffer's are still lodging under this roof!!! :eek:
Great to hear from you Gumdrop, was worried when you 'disappeared'.
:cool:

maddermadcat
23rd Aug 2006, 22:24
(hearing GumDrop's comment about his tab, Maddermadcat tries to keep from looking suspicious)

BrokenArts
23rd Aug 2006, 22:36
Forum must be having a brain fart, their is your post Gummie. :scratch:

Glad to see you again buddy. Gummy, if you do decide to bed down with the burricks, you can lull them to sleep with this. ;) :lol: Yes, I kept this, still love it.

http://modetwo.net/users/brokenarts/GummsiesBurricks.mp3

Huntress
23rd Aug 2006, 22:43
Dropped back in to see if Blackie got my PM and found your reply...so very happy you decided to come in from the cold and I'll happly share my GM with you :)

Glad you were finally able to get a new puter...what's in it? Play T3...well now that's a matter of whether or not you'll like the different way to play Garrett??? Some folks think it's OK but some have been disappointed of course...but if you'll read about The Dark Mod being formulated and have or get a copy of Doom 3 in the meantime...I think you'll really like what promises to be a great way to play in the old tradition of Thief and Garrett as we know and love him :)

If you want to get a little shuteye I'm afraid you'll have to share those accommodations as the house is getting a little fullier and ppl have been up for a long time and beginning to sway a little tad with a couple of exceptions of them having a problem staying on their feet :D

Stay well Gummie and let us see you again in the near future. Ta and Good Hunting!

EDIT TO BA: Oh my goodness...that's funny and also actually has a good sound...I love jazz :) I have one also in my files I got a long time ago...but don't have a site or know how to post it. I looked for it just now to properly recall the name but seems it's on my old puter that Rich still has in his shop..darn. Thanks for getting ahold of Gums as it's good to hear from him again too :)

Peter_Smith
24th Aug 2006, 04:15
Hi Gummie! Its great to see you!:D By all means, play T3. If you are like most of us (at least those who still play Thief ;)), you will quickly go back to T2 FMs. There have been some terrific ones in the last two years, so you will have a lot of catching up to do.

John D.
24th Aug 2006, 07:34
Welcome back Gumdrop.:) :thumbsup:

Sluggs
24th Aug 2006, 09:09
Hey Gummie, those TTLGer's have missed ye too!

Have you been doing any dromed work lately?

Huntress
24th Aug 2006, 09:57
Glad you were finally able to get a new puter...what's in it? Play T3...well now that's a matter of whether or not you'll like the different way to play Garrett??? Some folks think it's OK but some have been disappointed of course...but if you'll read about The Dark Mod being formulated and have or get a copy of Doom 3 in the meantime...I think you'll really like what promises to be a great way to play in the old tradition of Thief and Garrett as we know and love him :)

Here's the link to Dark Mod project in case you want to read about it and maybe missed it while scanning posts. Be sure to watch movie but you'll need special player to see it in case you don't have the codec for it anymore. http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=61362

Xcom
24th Aug 2006, 10:01
Welcome back, Gumdrop. Are you, in fact, back... or just taffin' through? :p

BrokenArts
24th Aug 2006, 11:33
He's just taffin with us Xcom. ;)

Huntress, that mp3 I posted the link to, GumDrop made that a few years ago. Not sure if you knew that or not. Not sure too, if you even have that anymore Gummie, if you don't, there ya go! :D

Huntress
24th Aug 2006, 22:31
Yea I did know/realize he made it and as I said I have another one he made but not in this machine. Still can't remember the name of it either but I seem to recall there was some kind of "rap" along with the music (jazz type again) it's just been too long since I've heard it or even seen it now to be more specific... :(

BrokenArts
24th Aug 2006, 23:24
Gotcha Huntress, I thought I'd mention he made it anyway, some wouldn't know he made it, like the new forum members.

I will look into my archive and see what I have, kinda funny, so much stuff saved over the years. :)

Nightwalker
25th Aug 2006, 04:26
Welcome back, Gumdrop! Sorry to hear you've had a rough time but I'm glad you've gotten through the worst of it and found your way back here. :)

Peter_Smith
26th Aug 2006, 03:59
I have these two Gummie compositions tucked away:

AlphabetThief.mp3 (http://home.comcast.net/~smithpd1/thief/Gumdrop_AlphabetThief.mp3)

Drum_&_Burp_Burrick_Quartet - Burrick_Skit.mp3
(same as linked above by BA)

I think there were others, but if so I can't find them. Anyone else?

Huntress
26th Aug 2006, 05:16
Yea Peter, that's the one I have and thought the name of it was something like that but couldn't remember for sure and didn't want to say wrong name.
Thanks for getting it posted so I could hear it again :)

Ruthless
26th Aug 2006, 20:50
Welcome back Gumdrop! I have to hand it to ya, BA, you're great about keeping in touch so us taffers can drop in after a long while and still feel welcome.
Gummie, I hope things are better for you now. What do you think of T3 so far?

littlek
26th Aug 2006, 22:21
and don't stay away this long again! ;)

BrokenArts
26th Aug 2006, 23:27
If he pulls a stunt like this again, I WILL go to England and hunt him down. I'm not kidding, no really. Sometime next year, I'm going to England. :D

Gumdrop
27th Aug 2006, 20:02
Wow, there's even more familiar names showing up. I guess the woodwork of the inn is rather thick! :D

Sorry I'm late to reply but I'm rather busy playing T3, and as Ruthless asked I might aswell drop a few initial feelings in this thread:

Hmm... I'm not sure I can say I like it yet. I'm in the Hammer's workshop/foundry of the "Cathedral" mission and I think I'm starting to enjoy myself atlast. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of neat touches, nice graphics and lots of the original sounds/atmosphere in here; but I can't help but want more.

The little I've played at the moment seemed to go down hill after the castle mission. The city blocks are a fairly nice distraction, but I certainly hope the other sections offer more gameplay opportunities. I've already had to trek back and forth a little and I was getting rather bored (I imagine a pure ghost run could get very dull if this coninues) creeping about places I'd already visited. Maybe the wall climbing gloves will open up the gameplay more, but ohh, how I yearn for my rope arrows!

I don't wish to sound like I'm just moaning here becouse there is a lot in T3 I have enjoyed so far. The story hasn't really begun, but I have heard great things about it in reviews, and as this was such a big part of my T1 enjoyment I can't wait to get stuck in some more. The Hammer's cathedral is finally giving me some of that old Thief experience, and I hope it builds (no pun intended) on this. Can't say I like the 3rd person view and the 1st person view makes me feel very detached from the action, but after so much time playing T1 & T2 Garrett's movements seem very sluggish. I've had the same experience/sensation playing Farcry so I guess I just need to expand on my game playing selections a little more and get used to different movement settings.

I can't really comment much more than that as I've only just started playing. I don't want to check out the T3 forum until I've finished playing (assuming I don't get completely stuck :mad2: ) but I am interested on what other people who've played T1 & 2 think.

As for those little Thief medleys... man, I can't believe they're still hanging around on Taffer's HD's. I did enjoy making them and I have some new music software so I might just have to dabble some more. But first T3 and then it's playing catch-up with the T2 FM's.

Oh yes, and I must agree with Ruthless about BA: She does seem to go out of her way to keep all us aging Grubber's lodged under this one roof. I won't even comment on whether or not that's a good thing! :rasp:

Ahh... still nice to be back though.

Sluggs: Oh no... don't even get me started on DromEd again. I have atleast 6 or 7 missions that I've started and never finished. I might decide to release .zip files of them with all the custom textures and everything so anyone can take them further if they want, but I'm not going back to that grind again! ;)

*Hands Maddermadcat a cloth so he can wipe my slate clean.*

Peter_Smith
27th Aug 2006, 20:28
My reaction to T3 was that it is fun in places, and I played it twice, but I still like T1 and T2 better. Things that I thought detracted from T3 were: no swimming; no rope arrows; bluish cast on graphics; ragdoll physics that seemed kind of silly; load zones; repetitive trecks through city sections. The latter were made better by some distractions you will discover later. There are some interesting missions. Ghosting helps the game play. Iron man is also a possibility because the guards in T3 get out of breath and won't chase you forever. You really don't have to save as often if you don't mind being chased. The factions just create a way of being immune to attack from pagans and hammerites. They don't add much to game play other than to give you more peace of mind, if that is what you want.

BrokenArts
27th Aug 2006, 21:19
I agree about T3, it's good, but, no where near what T1 and T2 did for us.

TY for the kind words Ruthless and GumDrop, not at all hard really to keep track of you guys. :) There is just something about this place, we all have shared a lot throughout the years. You never forget. Some of you, I have gotten to know quite well, and have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few taffers. Like I said......you never forget. For a lot of us back then it was our first forum, it was for me, you never forget your first. ;) We have ventured off to other forums, something draws us back......doesn't it. Yes.

There are some taffers that haven't made it back, doubt they will, GMan, he's long gone, Clayman pops in everynow and then. I saw Howie on TTLG, there are more, maybe someday they might pop in. Glad most of us are still here.

Damnit people we need a taffer meeting somewhere.......seriously. It would take some serious planning, organizing, thrown together, vote for it. It could be done.

clayman
27th Aug 2006, 21:34
Ha ! This thread is a visit to the Thief Old Folks Home ! :D

BrokenArts
27th Aug 2006, 22:32

Speak for yourself there buddy! :rasp: See, another taffer got flushed out. :)

Nightwalker
27th Aug 2006, 22:51
I felt the same about T3 as Peter did. I had a hard time getting interested in it at first because I kept comparing it to T2 and the FMs and it didn't measure up. Eventually, I just had to put that aside and pretend it was an entirely different game, not part of the Thief series, and enjoy it for itself. However, once through was enough for me and then I was happily back playing FMs for T1 & T2.

clayman
27th Aug 2006, 23:37
Speak for yourself there buddy! :rasp: See, another taffer got flushed out. :)

Flushed down, more likely.....see my Rowena's Curse thread as I struggle (and mostly fail) to get back in the game. :lol:

BrokenArts
28th Aug 2006, 02:56
Flushed down, more likely.....see my Rowena's Curse thread as I struggle (and mostly fail) to get back in the game. :lol:

Oh man, you do suck don't you. Stay away too long, use it or loose it. ;)
Rowena's Curse is most excellent, try to get back into it. I do find also, have to be in the mood for it, I can't do it tired, or hungry, I'm at my lowest taffing capabilities.
I've taffed my way recently through Thief Gold, now on T2. I've finished shipping and receiving last night, already on the bank mission. Looking forward to Life of the Party again.

Rommel_1891
28th Aug 2006, 11:56

In the best old-man voice Rommel can muster...

Eh?!? Someone talking? Speak up why don't ya?!

Nurse, when's lunch? Where's my walker? Dag-nammit! :rasp:

littlek
28th Aug 2006, 22:38
You know who else is missing....ChiefDreams.

R_Soul
28th Aug 2006, 22:56
Gumdrop, may I suggest New Horizon's Minimalist Project:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=49292

One of the things it changes is the UI. It is given a more T1/2 feel.
And the AI are harder to beat (IIRC).
etc...

Huntress
29th Aug 2006, 00:51
You know who else is missing....ChiefDreams.

Oh good lawd...so many hard to name all... :rolleyes: :lol:

John D.
29th Aug 2006, 06:55
I might decide to release .zip files of them with all the custom textures and everything so anyone can take them further if they want, but I'm not going back to that grind again!I'd love to see them and perhaps assimilate them into my own work once I'm done helping out with someones mission right now. I promise only to use them for the most sinister purposes.;) :)

The Phantom
31st Aug 2006, 13:28
Oh my :eek:..Gumdrop.

You don't believe this, I was actually looking for a way to contact you yesterday (without succes, all that came up was this (http://forums.eidosgames.com/archive/index.php/t-44439.html) ;) ), and today I check this forum and I see you've posted in this thread!
Welcome Back!

I'm sorry to hear about the RL problems you had.
Enjoy Thief 3!

maddermadcat
31st Aug 2006, 16:05
@The Phantom: New account?

BrokenArts
31st Aug 2006, 19:45
Or someone from TTLG.

Gumdrop
31st Aug 2006, 21:54
Hahahah... It just gets better. The familiar faces are continuing to loom out of the shadows! Now where's the Chief, Munin, Apache etc...?

Peter: Thanks for the tips on T3. I'm starting to see what you mean by the two factions not really making any difference to the overall scheme of things. I guess they are just there to add a little fluff like the city blocks. I'm in the museum now and guessing I must be qute near the end, which is a shame becouse the whole experience, apart from the overall atmosphere, has been a bit of a downward slide - not steep mind you, but still noticable.
Too much scooting back and forth, and not enough solid missions that offer replay value. Bring on the FM's. :)

John D: I have a lot on my plate at the moment but give me a month and I'll try to ake as much of my build stash available. I must have about 7-10 half baked missions under my pillow. :rolleyes:

The Phantom: Big thanks for the email. I haven't started on all the FM's I've missed but you've given me a nice foothold. I'll sort you out with what you need, and I might just stop off at TTLG again to see what's cookin' at the weekend.

Yandros
15th Sep 2006, 14:32
http://modetwo.net/users/brokenarts/GummsiesBurricks.mp3
Sorry I missed this, I don't visit the Crippled Burrick often... Ironically, I still have that MP3 and was listening to it (with my one year old) just two days ago! :eek:

Tim, it's great to see you again after all this time! Hope everything's going well for ye! If you happen to have those TR-styled missions you were working on so long ago and have no plans to finish them, send 'em my way! I'd love to have a gander and maybe work them into my own, if I ever get 'round to finishing it. :rolleyes:

Komag
15th Sep 2006, 16:56
Bring on the FM's. :)

Unfortunately, it appears there won't be many more of them, people just don't seem to care, or it's too hard, or something. Very sad really.

John D.
16th Sep 2006, 11:32
I'm sure T2 missions have plenty of life left in them, each year brings us more custom stuff to work with. Plus we have the Hammer Imperium to look forward to.:thumbsup:

BrokenArts
16th Sep 2006, 14:26
I'm sure T2 missions have plenty of life left in them, each year brings us more custom stuff to work with. Plus we have the Hammer Imperium to look forward to.:thumbsup:

Looks like that won't be the case John, Hammerite Imperium is stalled until further notice. Which is sad really, this isn't the first FM pack to bite the dust.

Hammerite Imperium Music (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107784&highlight=Hammerite+Imperium)

Hammerite Imperium (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107386&highlight=Hammerite+Imperium)

John D.
16th Sep 2006, 21:09
Looks like that won't be the case John, Hammerite Imperium is stalled until further notice. Which is sad really, this isn't the first FM pack to bite the dust.

Hmmm....nobody told me that!:scratch:

The mission 1 gamesys has some serious issues, but I've engineered, patched up, duct-taped and stapled various fixes and other solutions to get the thing going, not to mention adding loot, making sure team settings are done right etc etc. I am stalled at the moment while Alexius is gathering some custom voices together, but I'll be sticking those in once I get them, then its a few other things to be done before it's ready for beta.:cool:

The Phantom
17th Sep 2006, 00:11
I'm sure T2 missions have plenty of life left in them, each year brings us more custom stuff to work with.

So true ;):
Broken Triad (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75010)
Serious Business (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106814)
Upcoming mission by Sliptip (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108107)
The Black Frog (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107895)
Upcoming mission by Gian (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108591)
Rocksbourg Part 3 (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1428953#post1428953)
If at First (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105998)
Shadows of the Past (http://www.thief-union.de/screenshots.htm)
COSAS Mission X (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103193)

Really, who wants to miss these?

And now that it looks like the Hammerite Imperium (or parts of it) will be released as well, the future of Thief 2 looks even more brighter :thumbsup:

John D.
19th Sep 2006, 15:34
Well, once Alexius finally gets those voices I've been waiting for to me, I'm going to try to get it fixed up to beta level at least. Once that's done I'm through with FM's-after some personal swipes a rather arrogant individual (outside the Thief communtiy) took at me via PM last week I dont plan to be around that much although I will still play any new material that comes out.

maddermadcat
20th Sep 2006, 13:37
So... You're going to give up because of that individual? Because if so, it's really not worth it... 0_o

John D.
20th Sep 2006, 13:40
After those remarks a line has to be drawn somewhere, besides I need some time to actually play missions again.

Gumdrop
22nd Sep 2006, 14:45
I see there's some really nice looking FM's in the works. People are really bumping up the quality of the texture/brush work. Nice to see. :thumbsup:

I'll make a start on sifting through all my unfinished FM work this weekend if the weather continues to be on the damp side. Should have some zips ready by Sunday.

maddermadcat
22nd Sep 2006, 16:10
Ooooh... More FMs! They better be high quality, Gumdrop. >=|
(that's the part where you say "Yes, sir." =P)

John D.
22nd Sep 2006, 19:07
I'll make a start on sifting through all my unfinished FM work this weekend if the weather continues to be on the damp side. Should have some zips ready by Sunday.:) :thumbsup:

Yandros
24th Sep 2006, 04:17
:thumbsup: Can't wait to see some of your stuff, Tim!