PDA

View Full Version : Ian Livingstone expands on "The Legend Of Lara Croft"

MissLara2U
19th Aug 2006, 11:54
Eurogamer has a nice interview with Ian Livingstone which reveals some more info on a special Lara Croft feature he's planning to screen at the Edinburgh Interactive Entertainment Festival.

My main focus this year is a screening called The Legend of Lara Croft. I'm giving a complete history of Lara, from the very early designs right through to Tomb Raider: Legend, and a little glimpse of what's happening in the future.

It'll be a gaming history, a cultural history - looking at the power of Lara Croft, the value of Lara as one of the most famous and iconic characters in gaming, and lots of things that have happened because of Lara Croft.

Expect lots of facts and figures, anecdotes, and a visual feast of all things Lara - from the game designs and early gameplay, to things like the adverts she's featured in, and how we've leveraged the IP to create merchandising and collectors items, details of the girls that have played Lara Croft over the years, the movies... Basically anything and everything about the IP. It's really a showcase of ten years of Croft history. A celebration of Lara, if you like.

The full article here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=66735

Treeble
20th Aug 2006, 00:46
My main focus this year is a screening called The Legend of Lara Croft. I'm giving a complete history of Lara, from the very early designs right through to Tomb Raider: Legend, and a little glimpse of what's happening in the future.

That sounds very interesting. I hope those who can't attend the exposition (ie most of us) will still have the opportunity to watch it. :)

Alexlovesguns
20th Aug 2006, 04:48
Another nail in her coffin...

Joshorty
20th Aug 2006, 17:25
Waida second is it just me or does it sound like this will be a BEST OF for Lara Croft's 10th Anniversary title as The Legend of Lara Croft?!?!?:eek: NOOOO Please tell me someone that I'm wrong that it's just the sequel title for Legend....

Treeble
20th Aug 2006, 17:36
As far as I understand, "The Legend Of Lara Croft" is just a video documentary that will show the importance of Lara Croft over the past decade. Nothing to do with the Anniversary Edition or a game title. :)

Joshorty
20th Aug 2006, 18:37
Phew:d

digifan
20th Aug 2006, 18:52
Livingston is avoiding the main question - Is there going to be a new TR game for TR's 10th annivesrary or not? It sounds like Eidos will present a TV special or some form of book highlighting the history of Lara Croft, not a new TR game as what most of us had expected. :confused:

We need answers,folks. I'm afraid we maybe setting us up for a disappointment.

aussie500
20th Aug 2006, 22:32
No he already stated in the new interview that the Anniversary Edition game will be released next year, so they are going to do the video presentation no doubt to shut us up that they did not actually do anything for the anniversary this year. l am hoping the deadline for the game was extended so that they could add an extra suprise for us :) No harm in hoping

digifan
21st Aug 2006, 16:47
It sounds like Eidos will present trailers and announcement of a new TR game in November that might be ready for next year. I'm willing to bet the new game will have a caption of "Celebrating more than 10 years of tomb raiding" on the box and the game will highlight Lara's - assets - :rasp: proving why she's the first queen of video games and why she deserve to retain the title.

Maybe Eidos will have Angelina Jolie do the voice for the next Lara Croft game? Now that's an interesting idea...:scratch:

Treeble
3rd Sep 2006, 13:39
So, does anyone know more about that Legend of Lara Croft feature? I believe the Edinburgh festival is over by now, but I may be wrong. I seriously hope the feature will be available for download soon. :)

Natla'd
5th Sep 2006, 12:49
So, does anyone know more about that Legend of Lara Croft feature? I believe the Edinburgh festival is over by now, but I may be wrong. I seriously hope the feature will be available for download soon. :)

Have you seen this thread (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=72838)? One of the TRF members attended it and gave us a pretty detailed report. :)

aussie500
6th Sep 2006, 00:28
That has nothing about the video presentation, just the part where Ian Livingstone was answering questions from the audience and 10 odd pages of people putting him down and whining and complaining about Crystal Dynamics

jason
6th Sep 2006, 03:18
I don't know about any one else but i can't wait to get my hands on the new tomb raider game that comes out next year,then i shall have most of the tomb raider games. I have from tr2 untill tr legend soi only have to get the firsat tomb raider and i'll have them all.

storm shadow
6th Sep 2006, 08:27
ok guys and girls any download or any other links where people can obtain a copy of the screenplay that was held?

I want it badly!

Natla'd
6th Sep 2006, 16:53
That has nothing about the video presentation, just the part where Ian Livingstone was answering questions from the audience and 10 odd pages of people putting him down and whining and complaining about Crystal Dynamics

And quite rightly, IMHO.

Treeble
6th Sep 2006, 20:51
Yeah, whatever. I would like to simply watch the feature video and enjoy it myself, not read thousands of hopeless complains. Thanks for taking the time to reply, however. :)

aussie500
7th Sep 2006, 03:48
Seems strange we have not heard anything yet, perhaps they did not show it?

Natla'd
7th Sep 2006, 11:17
Yeah, whatever. I would like to simply watch the feature video and enjoy it myself, not read thousands of hopeless complains. Thanks for taking the time to reply, however. :)

You're welcome. :)

Personally, I love reading complaints. But each to their own, I suppose. ;)

aussie500
7th Sep 2006, 15:12
l do not mind reading complaints myself, but a genuine complaint actually needs to have some basis in reality, since most of the whining in the mentioned thread is based on personal bias and not only unfounded but ludicrously incorrect statements, l no longer consider them worth reading. Perhaps some of the so called "fans" on said forum should actually learn something about Ian Livingstone and his involvement with Tomb Raider before voicing an opinion

Natla'd
8th Sep 2006, 19:15
Most people were annoyed by the fact that Ian Livingstone seems to live in a complete dreamworld when it comes to the fan's reaction to Tomb Raider Legend.

And I really wish people on this forum would not put keep putting "fans" in speechmarks, as if because we're not all rushing to fellate the makers of Legend, we should get out of the TR fandom. Personally, I think raving about a game that's less Tomb Raider than Sonic The Hedgehog is, and saying how it's stayed faithful to the original is far more unfannish (which probably isn't a word).

Treeble
8th Sep 2006, 22:21
Well, it certainly must feel like a dreamworld after what he (and everyone else) went through with Angel of Darkness. I hope everyone knows he's not a newbie to the series, as everyone seems to think.

aussie500
8th Sep 2006, 23:08
Legend was just as much a Tomb Raider game as any of the others, in many ways it was far superior to the previous games, but just because it was not what some were expecting they want to go around literally attacking people for changing "their" Tomb Raider. In my opinion anyone whe says Ian Livinstone knows nothing about Tomb Raider, has never played a game in his life, or cares nothing for Tomb Raider is NOT a Tomb Raider fan. A Tomb Raider fan would know none of the above statements is true. Fair enough the comment about flying through the levels could have been taken the wrong way, thats was how Ian Livingstone felt about the game, and compared to AOD where you had to spend more time trying to get Lara to move the right way, it was literally flying to play Legend and not have to worry about the controls and moving Lara, who has never moved that well in any previous game. At these gaming venues people are there to promote games and gaming, they are not there to pick apart and complain about games and the poeple who make them, how would that be promoting gaming? And as usual Ian Livingstone is again at the forefront of interactive gaming with the release of the the new Interactive DVD game Tomb Raider - The Action Adventure. Many will welcome this new innovation, frankly as an AOD fan who cannot stand actually going through all the frustration of replaying the game, it is a dream come true for me, and no doubt we will eventually get to see the other 2 parts of the trilogy if the first game does well enough. But again a minority group of highly vocal fans will just sit there complaining and not accept it, because it is different, not the solution to the AOD problem they were expecting.

Natla'd
10th Sep 2006, 17:45
In my opinion anyone whe says Ian Livinstone knows nothing about Tomb Raider, has never played a game in his life, or cares nothing for Tomb Raider is NOT a Tomb Raider fan. A Tomb Raider fan would know none of the above statements is true.

I disagree. I don't think a Tomb Raider fan needs to know an lots of information about somebody who works for the producers. Being a Tomb Raider fan is more about loving the games, IMHO. If Ian Livingstone is so closely connected to the TR fandom, it makes his statements all the more worrying!

I'm looking forward to the AOD DVD as well. I mean, I'd rather they remade the game with better controls, I'd prefer that, but at least we're getting something.

For the record, I'm neither an AOD fan or a Legend fan. I've noticed that it seems to be mostly one set of fans against the other, nowadays - if you dislike Legend, you're assumed to be an AOD fan and vice versa - but personally, I like the old games.

aussie500
10th Sep 2006, 23:03
l have liked all the games so far, but for reasons of sanity have only played AOD once on the PS2 it took weeks and by the time l eventually managed to finish it my patience was at an end, l am slowly replaying it on the PC after avoiding the game like it was the plague for over 2 years. l love the story, level design and characters, am not overly fond of the RPG elements and cannot stand the control system. So far no bugs on the PC version thankfully

aussie500
11th Sep 2006, 13:43
Came across this link to the talk Ian Livingstone gave, although this fella left while Ian was playing a clip from the Tomb Raider music single, so he does not have a lot to say :( Contains one photo though of the screen
http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/728/728258p3.html

MissLara2U
11th Sep 2006, 14:11
Thanks for the link aussie500.