PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace - Tony Jay

Divine Shadow
17th Aug 2006, 02:59
Some very very sad news. EvilAvatar (http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16444&) have reported that Tony Jay, the wonderful stage, screen and voice actor, has passed away. His official site - Poets on Broadway (http://poetsonbroadway.com/1Intro.htm) have reported that he did not recover from micro surgery to remove a non cancerous tumor from his lungs.

To Legacy of Kain fans, he may be more familiar as Mortanius (original); The Elder God; Zephon; and many other roles. He was a very talented man, and I am sure he will be surely missed.

RIP Tony Jay, thanks for sharing your wonderful voice with us.

blincoln
17th Aug 2006, 03:43
Wow, that's really sad. He did some awesome voice work for Sacrifice, too.

Balance_Reaver
17th Aug 2006, 07:07
It's very sad... I just don't know what to say...
Rest In Peace, Tony Jay. :(

Ardeth Silvereni
17th Aug 2006, 08:49
Recently I bought Eerie Indiana on DVD (a kids' series with weird goings-on in a small town). I was stunned and overjoyed to see Tony Jay appearing as a famous horror actor in one episode, playing a mummy in a black-and-white movie, zapped into the 1990's living room of the teen lead character.

He tackled the role with fantastic humour, and commanded the screen the entire time, even when tied to a chair. I remember pointing at the TV - I know that voice - as the kids realised the mummy that they had been running from was really an actor they respected, and they had just hit him over the head with a spade.

Sad news, indeed. He was a brilliant and distinctive performer, and he will be missed.

Binky24
17th Aug 2006, 09:29
That's sad, sad news... Rest in peace. :(

unimatrix2612
17th Aug 2006, 12:42
No way . . . I am just stunned

Yours was a fantastic voice man, Rest in Peace

Anoobish
17th Aug 2006, 13:07
He really was the Elder God... of voice-acting.

Omega
17th Aug 2006, 14:01
No way . . . I am just stunned

Me too, I can't believe it :(

Rest in peace Mr Jay, you will be sorely missed :(

garbagefanuk
17th Aug 2006, 23:31
Shame. A very talented man. Take care.

Rest in Peace.

Apocrypha Roxy
18th Aug 2006, 00:14
Oh my God. I'm absolutely stunned. :(
He was so great... now what will happen?

RIP Tony Jay

Smoke_Z
18th Aug 2006, 01:00
Oh my God. I'm absolutely stunned. :(
He was so great... now what will happen?

That's about the sentiment I have.

UndeadRaziel
18th Aug 2006, 01:57
Thouh i knew him not, his passing is saddening.

Requiescat In Pace.

NoobSaibot
18th Aug 2006, 04:03
this is not news I wanted to hear when visiting this board.

RIP

Rivenmjk
18th Aug 2006, 04:13
man i come back and this is what i find......he was so awesome.

words cannot describe how i feel....

RIP tony Jay we'll miss you dearly.

*sob*

Rove2
18th Aug 2006, 17:34
Oh my god. What sad news! He is one of the greatest voice actors of all time IMO. He will be missed.

dumah's wraith
18th Aug 2006, 19:48
Ah, such a great voice actor. Rest in peace:(

Jeffers
18th Aug 2006, 20:12
:(

RIP Tony Jay

You seem to pop up everywhere (reboot for example which I recently revisted and then sacrifice, a game I've had for ages but never played until recently) and will be sorely missed. :(

Jeffers

TheWatcher
19th Aug 2006, 03:13
What a deep and terrible blow to the world. I'm speechless. This is horrible news. Your legacy will live on in that of Kain, good sir (among vast other areas). I'm really just so stunned. Go in peace and rest sir.

Vampmaster
19th Aug 2006, 22:58
Rest in peace, voice of the (Elder) Gods.

Griz
20th Aug 2006, 04:47
That's so sad. :(

card
20th Aug 2006, 09:27
I can't help but feel heavy in my chest. I loved him in Twin Peaks and Love and Death, he was such a great actor. He will be greatly missed. :(

RIP

HELLOfromRUSSIA)
20th Aug 2006, 20:33
Oh, Tony...

L_Master562
21st Aug 2006, 05:11
I've heard his voice in so many things. From games, to documentaries, to cartoons and more. And he was so distinct and recognizable in whatever he worked in. I have to admit this is saddening. I saw a show I had recorded from a few months ago just early to day, and it had voice overs done by him. I didn't think I would see this comming here today. It was shocking.

Rest in peace Tony Jay.

The DarkOne
21st Aug 2006, 07:45
Its hard to believe......I can't imagine anyone else voicing the elder, cuz that was some of the best voice acting i've ever seen.

Rest in peace Tony Jay

VendavalEste
21st Aug 2006, 14:17
Oh no, this is so sad...

Rest In Peace, Mr. Jay.

You will always be remembered.

Turaziel
22nd Aug 2006, 02:50
Damn, Tony. You were the man.

I don't think that anyone else would have even come close to making the writhing pile of tentacles and eyes that is the Elder God as cool as you did.

You will be sorely missed by all of your fans, especially us.

How can we continue the saga without him! No one else can be the Elder God. I can't help but think of one when I think of the other.

WraithStar
22nd Aug 2006, 06:30
I'm shocked. I definitely wasn't expecting to learn this tonight. I just popped in to check if there was news on a new game. I've heard Tony Jay voicing so many different characters in so many different places that I feel hollow now thinking that I won't ever hear him in anything new :(

The Reaver Blade
22nd Aug 2006, 15:04
I cant believe it. Tony had such a great voice and so much talent. His voice gave great atmosphere to the games.

Rest in peace Tony, you will be sorely missed.

aquarius_varun
23rd Aug 2006, 15:08
wow....I come here to visit after a couple of weeks to see this??? :(

Rest in peace Tony jay! Man! He was among the ultimate voice crew. Damn! His absence will be sensed in the next game. :(

Tsutohiro
23rd Aug 2006, 22:45
Saddened. Stunned.
Reminds me how fragile life is, and how easily it can slip away.

An excellent actor and a beloved voice to LoK fans.
I can't imagine the series without him in it.

...But the Wheel must turn; Death is inexorable and cannot be denied.

He will be missed greatly by family, friends...and fans.
Rest in Peace

Guardian OF The Reaver
24th Aug 2006, 08:12
:( rest in peace dude, you rule.

kain-the-great
26th Aug 2006, 01:22
:( OMG! I can't believe it! I just found out today in my computer class. I started tearing up, this is really terrible news.:o

GawdDawgs
18th Sep 2006, 06:25
I feel the need to bump this topic, after buying The Tick animated series on DVD and hearing Tony voice the villain Chairface Chippendale. He was so awesome.

Anoobish
19th Sep 2006, 19:09
Think Umah could sticky this?

Umah Bloodomen
20th Sep 2006, 13:32
Think Umah could sticky this?

I have no problems stickying threads providing the request is brought to my attention via private channels (PM's and/or email). ;)

In regards to this thread, however, while the passing of Mr. Jay is stunning (as he was a invaluable asset to our Community and the voice acting world in general), the participation level has dropped off since this was first posted and does not actually warrant us turning it into a sticky. The thread will, however, be moved to the LOK Archive (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92) where it can be "memorialized" and reflected on in the future. :)

No rush on moving this, either. We feel that leaving it open until the end of the month should be sufficient enough time to allow for the proper closure.

With that said, this thread is not the place for off-topic discussion. I'm more than happy to further it via private channels (PM's and/or email) so as to focus on remembering Tony Jay. Thanks! :)

Anoobish
20th Sep 2006, 19:04
Yeah, I hear ya...

Oh, and I just saw his site, and bio! Geez, the man was great... So much STUFF!

Dogfight
21st Sep 2006, 22:43
Tony Jay did a great many things with his life and he will be remembered by all for his many contributions to the medium of entertainment.

Hopefully if Crystal Dynamics is granted by Eidos the right to make a new LOK game they will use some prerecorded dialogue of Tony Jay as the Elder and insert it into the new LOK game as a tribute to the great actor. Otherwise they are going to have to find someone that can perfectly mimic Jay's voice for the role of the Elder.

LOK kain is the greatest
22nd Sep 2006, 02:32
OMG....no....i have no words...and i was just listening to him as the narrator on Treasure planet....oh god. I Just watched all my defiance outtakes and started crying my eyes out.

RIP Tony. you have no idea how much you will be missed.

KainvsVorador
22nd Sep 2006, 03:59
Tony Jay was the most unique and talented voice actor ive ever heard. ever since i first heard him as megabyte on reboot when i was a kid, i thought "now that is the coolest voice ever"

"The boy...? Enzo!?"

Rest in peace great one, you will be missed by many, and forgotten by none.

WraithStar
22nd Sep 2006, 15:30
Tony Jay was the most unique and talented voice actor ive ever heard. ever since i first heard him as megabyte on reboot when i was a kid, i thought "now that is the coolest voice ever"

"The boy...? Enzo!?"

Rest in peace great one, you will be missed by many, and forgotten by none.

Yeah, Megabyte is the character where I first heard him too. You just reminded me of all sorts of good lines he had from Reboot and now I'm back to missing him :(

Dr Kain
22nd Sep 2006, 17:10
Yeah, Tony Jay was awesome. He did a fantastic job as the Elder God and the villian from Xyber 9.

Super phoenix
28th Sep 2006, 10:45
i never knew that until today...poor guy...i think the Elder God is a loser but Tony Jay really put life into that giant souless eye... Rest in peace Good man... may you join the other greats!!!