PDA

View Full Version : Help changing hard drive letter

jamalanderson23
13th Aug 2006, 18:37
Hey, ive researched a lot about how to change the hard drive letters on my computer. I recently reformatted my computer and my second hard drive is labeled F: instead of D:. I want it to show up as D:. I came to the conclusion that the easiest way is to reinstall windows xp again. But every time i reinstall it, the hard drive letter is F: again. How do i change the letter?

Peter_Smith
13th Aug 2006, 19:20
Right click on My Computer. Go to Manage. Select Disk Management. The tools are there.

jamalanderson23
13th Aug 2006, 19:25
There is a problem with that. I already tried disk management, and i tried to change the hard drive letter but it says: Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume. So how can i change the letter?

Peter_Smith
14th Aug 2006, 01:21
I don't know. I'm not going to test it because I don't want to change mine, even for a moment. Someone deleted a response saying you may not want to do that anyway because if Windows is already installed the registry already has many references to the wrong drive letter. Maybe that is why it is not allowed for the primary drive.

Another possibility is that there could be a BIOS setting that determines what drive controller is selected first. You might have CD/DVD drives attached to, say, an ATA-100 port, your hard drive attached to another type of port, and the motherboard always looks to one type of port first for assigning drive letters. But that is just a guess.

Let us know if that works. If not, you might have better luck with a Windows support forum.