PDA

View Full Version : I want to add more to my mission

the taffer
12th Aug 2006, 19:06
I want to add more to my FM im creating such as more textures for buildings and more objects to create.

For more textures I was reading up on this a while ago and it seemed pretty easy. I just need a site to DL some sort of paint program and photoshop.

For adding more objects I have no clue at all. My guess is that you add the object size it and give it texture.

also to add one other thing... this might be random, but I realize when u change metaproperty added to an object, it changes the actual metaproperty. I changed a couple I want to put back to default and just create my own metaproperty. Does anyone know the default of the metaproperty of heatsource and flameheatsource. Experimenting with stuff is fun and u learn but you also screw things up sometimes.

R_Soul
12th Aug 2006, 19:29
Textures:
You can't just download Photoshop, you have to buy it. I don't think there are any decent graphics programs that are fee, though there are trial versions for a lot of things.

Objects:
They can be created in something like Anim8or, which is free and quite a good program.
You make the shapes, load and apply the textures, map them (which is not easy), then export the object. Then they need to be converted to a Thief-ready format and the textures have to be in the correct folder.

My advice with either of these is to start with very simple textures/objects and to get the hang of getting them acceptable to Thief (e.g. the right file format).

I usually just make my FM and only make custom things if I get an idea for something.

MetaProperty:
If you haven't saved your gamesys then the change to the metaproperty won't be changed if you reload the mission.

If you did save the gamesys, or .cow file, just load a mission that uses dark.gam and examine the metaproperty (go the the object heirarchy and from the menu at the top, select 'MetaProperties')

the one true thief
12th Aug 2006, 19:37
Textures:
You can't just download Photoshop, you have to buy it. I don't think there are any decent graphics programs that are fee, though there are trial versions for a lot of things.

http://www.gimp.org/

Try that for textures. :thumbsup:

R_Soul
12th Aug 2006, 19:44
Oh, that does look quite good. I thought gimp was more basic than that.

the taffer
12th Aug 2006, 19:48
awesome, thanks for your help guys. much appreciated. I love the idea of making my own thief FM and im trying to make my own thief 2 sequel right now. I want to add a lot of stuff but its going to take a long time becuz i want it dont right and i want to get the hang of things.