PDA

View Full Version : How historically accurate are the militia?

colmde
28th Jul 2006, 11:45
I mean, OK, a unit of militia vs line infantry in melee combat is a fairly even battle in the game. But was it this way really? I would have thought trained soldiers would be able to defeat a bunch of men with sticks... And come to think of it, did they just have sticks? Would they not at least have swords or something? And how many shots could a unit of line infantry get off while the militia was charging? In the game it seems to be about 2, which can kill about 10 of the 60 men.

_five_by_five_
28th Jul 2006, 15:53
Well, militia are no realistic factor, thats for certain, I guess they wanted to make sure there is an emergency-unit in the early game, that you can build fast and cheaply and still is worth something.
There are mods out there that reduce militia effectiveness if it really bothers you. On the other hand militia lose against a musketeer unit 1 on 1 and get slaughtered by Hussars, so I can somewhat live with it as it is. Just make sure to control with which of your units they actually go into melee-battle (not the light infantry preferably :D )

Lefebvre
30th Jul 2006, 22:53
ah the old militia question .. ;)

Since they relied on militia heavily during the Napoleonic period I'll take Prussian Militia as an example. They were broadly untrained and poorly equipped particularly in the early years, they wore almost no items of actual uniform and really were armed with farm implements until the worst excesses of their ill-equipped status could be overcome.

In a standup fight it is fair to assume that the Line regiment would shoot the oncoming militia at a rate of 2 or 3 rounds per minute, with hundreds of men able to fire at that rate on the regiment's frontage it is also fair to assume they would decimate and break the militia unit before making contact.

Those casualty percentages in the game are not far from reality, if not a tad high in fact .. muskets were basically not accurate enough to do real damage at much over 60 yards, and couldn't hit a barn door at 100 yards, which was their maximum range before the musket ball ran out of juice and pretty much started to drop harmlessly out of the air.

If they did get to melee then the militia would do some serious damage to Line units, though they would not be expected to win a fight 1-to-1.

hth, JD

Hukamastokea
31st Jul 2006, 12:49
I found a link to download the Realistic Militia Mod. I have used it and it works great!!! http://www.tafn.info/phpscripts/filesdb/details.php?file=148