PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article on MTV.com - Why the game was banned in Australia

MattD
27th Jul 2006, 21:17
Hey all,

Just created this forum, and thought I would give you some info to start with. The game is a third-person shooter which fills in the gaps in the storyline of Tarintino's classic movie.

MTV just wrote an article about the game, and why it ended up being banned in Australia. It's an interesting read, you should definately check it out.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1537023/20060724/index.jhtml

Sophia Leigh
28th Jul 2006, 03:49
Matt, do you think that a revised version of this game will be published for Aussies in the same way they did a revised version of some of the Grand Theft Auto games? I haven't seen the movie but my husband has and enjoyed it so it could potentially be a good gift for him.

Random
30th Jul 2006, 01:37
Eventually the meter was full. The cops surrounded Mr. Blonde and his hostage. The police had their guns drawn. But with that meter full, McCracken could pull off a special move. Mr. Blonde was going for the hostage's ear. The camera cut away to the side — not showing the deed, just as the movie didn't. When the camera returned, the hostage had already yelled. His ear was in Mr. Blonde's hand. And the police, horrified, had dropped their guns.

McCracken rested his controller. "And that's what got us banned."

"I don't think it's that bad," Gill added.

The Eidos team said the game isn't crossing any line with the ear that the movie didn't, and that both were more suggestive than literally descriptive of the action.

It is different, though. In the movie we don't approve of the torture, and the torturer is shot (punished) soon after. In the game the torture is rewarded and repeatedly used as a tool to progress. (At least that's what I understand from videos and press releases.)

If Australia had an R rating for games, it might have been rated R. But the game has also been effectively banned in New Zealand, and NZ doesn't have the same inconsistent system as Australia, so it's no guarantee.

Umah Bloodomen
16th Aug 2006, 01:03
I just stumbled upon this from the forum home page. How cool of a idea! (Love the flick). When is this supposed to be released?

sick
16th Aug 2006, 08:41
It is said September 2006, but I don't know if this is still reliable. In any case, I'm looking forward to its release.