PDA

View Full Version : Why is it...

Headache
26th Jul 2006, 23:31
..That Thief Gold is so hard to find? Becuase it's dated or many copies weren't made?

Gillie
27th Jul 2006, 00:06
Amazon in Britain is selling Thief Gold for £44.99.(Used)
That seems high to me. £47.99 (New). :eek:
Dollar around $88 :scratch:
Amazon USA is far less.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004VUD0/026-2554029-2027632?v=glance&n=300703&v=glance

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_vg/103-8312662-3563866?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=thief+gold&Go.x=7&Go.y=8

BrokenArts
27th Jul 2006, 00:22
For the exact reason, really hard to say, given the age of the game, has to be it. Not many made? I really don't know?

Headache
27th Jul 2006, 00:37
$88?! :eek: Yikes...

BrokenArts
27th Jul 2006, 01:00

Nutz, I tell ya.

Komag
27th Jul 2006, 02:24
What I don't get is why on earth you can buy TDP (often combined with T2). Why not make that combo TG and T2???????

Headache
27th Jul 2006, 02:27
There are so many variables.

BrokenArts
27th Jul 2006, 02:30
What I don't get is why on earth you can buy TDP (often combined with T2). Why not make that combo TG and T2???????

Good idea.

theBlackman
27th Jul 2006, 03:00
Money! TDP has a single disc, and they are probably still recovering from the production. On the other hand maybe (which I doubt) they will come out with new sales of TGOLD later.

I think they have a warehouse full of TDP/TMA and are just cleaning it out without thinking of pressing enough TGOLD to make it worthwhile.

littlek
27th Jul 2006, 21:20

I often wondered about that myself when they came out with that combo package when most taffers favored T Gold.

AIIIEEEEE.....BIG THUNDERSTORM OUTSIDE! I hate storms....:eek:

Headache
27th Jul 2006, 23:43
Like tBm said, money. "Here, we know you like TG but you will have to settle and buy these two together instead. Then you can buy TG, too."

It's exactly like a 'sold seperately' thing.

littlek
28th Jul 2006, 02:35
Well then....the taffers are true thieves at heart. Ya just gotta respect that. ;)

Headache
28th Jul 2006, 03:26
AIIIEEEEE.....BIG THUNDERSTORM OUTSIDE! I hate storms....:eek:

I love t-storms. 'Cept when the thunder is right next to ya.

Ruthless
28th Jul 2006, 05:53
I have to say that IMHO TG was the best of all the games. But the fan missions... now some of those are truly awesome.

Headache
29th Jul 2006, 22:48
I have to say that IMHO TG was the best of all the games. But the fan missions... now some of those are truly awesome.

Indeed.

cradle_curdled
31st Jul 2006, 20:17
Gold is nice to have, but if you're getting it from an auction site/reseller, don't pay anything ridiculous for it.

I actually much preferred TDP to Thief Gold. The Bonehoard looked murkier in the original, and that made a big difference in the creepiness. It's too bright in Gold. The Lost City was better in the original, too.

The extra levels didn't impress me, at all...Thieves Guild was tedious and drab...Songs of the Caverns - alright, nothing great...felt kind of bolted-on, and inconsistent with the rest of the story. The Mage Towers: nice level design, but I didn't really feel much need for mages in the thief world. Putting them in the Lost City totally ruined the "uninhabited" feeling. The craymen in the original are a more exciting discovery for the player.

Little Big World in The Sword was the only Gold addition I liked. But would I miss it if it wasn't there? No.

Komag
1st Aug 2006, 07:43
That area in The Sword is approximately the size of the whole original mission if you look at it in dromed!!!

BrokenArts
1st Aug 2006, 19:30
That area in The Sword is approximately the size of the whole original mission if you look at it in dromed!!!

I just sent through that mission again the other day. Ohhh what memories, been a good few years since I ran through gold. Funny how you forget conversations, you remember where to go for the most part. Good times. :)

Rommel_1891
3rd Aug 2006, 11:24

I saw one in the Amazon link for $99! :eek: :eek:

yubetcha
3rd Aug 2006, 12:54
Sheesh! You could get the game and that book in the other thread for only $200. Such a deal like you never saw before. Only used by an old woman on Sunday when she went to church. LOL! And while we're at it, I put New York up for sale. :)

littlek
3rd Aug 2006, 13:20
Sheesh! And while we're at it, I put New York up for sale. :)

HOW MUCH!!!! :scratch:

yubetcha
3rd Aug 2006, 15:11
HOW MUCH!!!! :scratch:

How much ya got? LOL! For you? Such a deal I got for you.... just send me $200 and New York is yours. You ask why $200? Because I want to get the book and the game. LOL! Besides, I am selling it cheap because... well, let's face it.... it's slightly old and used. But it still has some life left in it. I really hate to part with it. I would keep it if I could. You're getting a good deal. And at no extra cost, I will even throw in the ferry. And my friend Dic.k Clark (I call him shorty) will even come over every New Years Eve to say hi. He brings a few people with him, but it shouldn't get too crowded.
:)

Sheesh! I had to spell dic that way with a .k for the system to take it without a ****. There should be a way to differentiate. Some people use that as a nickname for Richard. Try it. Type that nickname and you will get a ****

Headache
4th Aug 2006, 00:58
Ah ah ah, I bid $250. MIIIIINE :p

littlek
4th Aug 2006, 11:27
Ah He*l. So we cannot write Di*k. *****. Thats to much for NYC. ****

John D.
4th Aug 2006, 16:36
Edit: Dromed's Prince of Darkness removes his evil remarks

Rommel_1891
4th Aug 2006, 17:09
I just bought a new copy of TDP on ebay for $9. It is the later jeweled case retail package instead of the box, but, oh well. Better than nothing. ;)

Headache
4th Aug 2006, 18:19
I just bought a new copy of TDP on ebay for $9.

Isn't that a bit expensive for Ebay? I would probably spend 9 bucks too, I was just observing... :)
But if it's new that makes sense I guess.

Rommel_1891
4th Aug 2006, 18:39
Isn't that a bit expensive for Ebay?

Not really. That 9 bucks also includes shipping. And since I have not seen it in any stores in atleast a few years, I would say it's a good deal. ;)

Headache
4th Aug 2006, 19:07
That 9 bucks also includes shipping. And since I have not seen it in any stores in atleast a few years, I would say it's a good deal.
;)

Oh yes, shipping. Me forgot :rolleyes: Well, I say, yes that's a pretty good deal. Platinum collection, right? But I found a better deal on Amazon for $1.32, brand new. Jewel case version though. The box version is impossible to find it seems.

Headache
4th Aug 2006, 19:53
Thats to much for NYC.

..You mean, too much for you? :D

<.<
>.>

o_o

yubetcha
7th Aug 2006, 12:03
Ah He*l. So we cannot write Di*k. ****

Yeah, but you can write hell. Go figure. Then come back and show your work. LOL!

yubetcha
7th Aug 2006, 14:29
*****. Thats to much for NYC. ****
Yeah, but remember..... you get Dic.k Clark and you get to stand below a big ball and watch it fall once a year (oops. Forgot to mention that. Does that help? LOL!) .... not to mention the people living below NYC. You get them too.
Anyway, I have a bid of 250. Do I hear 300? 275? Forgot to mention... You also get a big statue. It comes with stairs that build leg muscles and lungs. You can even reach your target heart rate pretty fast. A real workout. Throw away that treadmill and use the space for something useful.... like a keg. LOL!

Rommel_1891
7th Aug 2006, 20:26
Oh yes, shipping. Me forgot :rolleyes: Well, I say, yes that's a pretty good deal. Platinum collection, right? But I found a better deal on Amazon for $1.32, brand new. Jewel case version though. The box version is impossible to find it seems.

This one is the jewel case, but not the platinum collectoin. It also appears to be XP compatible though. :scratch: My very very original TG and TDP copies would only run setup on XP when I used the force command in the run box.

Headache
8th Aug 2006, 12:45
This one is the jewel case, but not the platinum collectoin. It also appears to be XP compatible though. :scratch: My very very original TG and TDP copies would only run setup on XP when I used the force command in the run box.

At least you can get yours to run. My computer is custom made, so it has a lot more issues with older games. Go figure :rolleyes:

Komag
8th Aug 2006, 23:48
Having a custom computer shouldn't be any reason for having trouble with old games.

Headache
9th Aug 2006, 02:03
Having a custom computer shouldn't be any reason for having trouble with old games.
Im to lazy to explain it. But Im generally trying to say that custom computers have more 'high tech stuff' I guess you could say, which means it's more likely to have tech issues with old games (of course that's more likely). Anyway, that's what I've noticed. But computers you would buy from a catalouge or whatever (Gateway, Dell, etc.), have more basic or 'regular' hardware/software. And the games they make kinda evolve around those general setups. Im not sure I wrote my explanation right... Oh well. Like I said, it's something I notice and is hard to explain.

It (TDP) also appears to be XP compatible though. :scratch: My very very original TG and TDP copies would only run setup on XP when I used the force command in the run box.
I have XP too, and I've installed all of those games and they don't run at all. If not one issue, it's always another. I've even tried the suggested fixes and it still doesn't work.... :mad2:

Komag
9th Aug 2006, 03:04
I still disagree. I've always had custom built PCs for many years. I've also dealt with "from the store" Compaq, HP, and Dell. I don't see any differences in getting a game to run. Both sometimes have problems, and in my experience the store ones are worse off in that regard, not better.

Headache
9th Aug 2006, 03:09
I still disagree. I've always had custom built PCs for many years. I've also dealt with "from the store" Compaq, HP, and Dell. I don't see any differences in getting a game to run. Both sometimes have problems, and in my experience the store ones are worse off in that regard, not better.
All I can say is that every custom computer is different. Which means each will have issues with things that others don't. And I never implied (or, at least I didn't mean to) that out of the box computers were better off.

Komag
9th Aug 2006, 06:18
fair enough :)

Rommel_1891
9th Aug 2006, 12:34
At least you can get yours to run. My computer is custom made, so it has a lot more issues with older games. Go figure :rolleyes:

So is mine. I've run Thief on the last 2 or 3 iterations of my computer with XP with no problems. I wonder what your hardware combination is. Some combinations of hardware don't work as well on XP if you're dealing with something that's already finicky. :scratch:

Headache
9th Aug 2006, 12:55
So is mine. I've run Thief on the last 2 or 3 iterations of my computer with XP with no problems. I wonder what your hardware combination is. Some combinations of hardware don't work as well on XP if you're dealing with something that's already finicky. :scratch:
Lucky you :(

2 Nvidia Geforce 7800 GTX cards, AMD Athlon 64 X2
dual core processors 4400+, 2.21 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM, 2,046 MB of memory, and Turtle Beach Montego DDL (sound card). I know all that isn't really hardware, but I don't know as much about the contents as my brother in law does because he built it. Maybe it has something to do with the conflicts anyway? I do know that the dual core processors are part of it. I can fix that though.... Hmmmm :D May have solved my own problems :scratch:
And another strange thing is that my monitor seems to make my thief games act different too (T2 anyway). That's like, the only game that will even remotely work.

Rommel_1891
10th Aug 2006, 13:02
You have dual display? Sweet. I want a triple display so I can have side views of Thief. ;)

I would attribute your problems likely to be linked to the AMD 64-bit. That architecture is still newish and the OS support for it is sketchy. With XP already iffy running 98 and 95 stuff, that is likely what is holding it back. If you had a machine running everything the same but on a 32-bit processor (or an OS that will properly use the 64) you'd probably be able to run Thief.

My condolences. :(

Good news is you can probably either build or obtain (more likely) a 700 mhz-ish 98 machine real cheap if you look around. ;)

yubetcha
10th Aug 2006, 13:40
I bought a new computer last year with the AMD 64. While looking around, a manager told me that I should get one with that, so I did. I ran Deus Ex 1 and 2 with no problem. My next test was to try T2X. It worked. And I finally ran T3 on it with no problem. If I can run T2X, I am sure that I can run T2, since it needs T2. Soon I am going to try T1, and I probably won't have a problem there either, since I can run T2.
I would say from what I have read that the dual processor (hyperthreading) is a very likely culprit. There are threads here and at ttlg.com that discuss that problem and how to fix it. Thief seems to dislike the dual core. I did a search for 'hyperthreading' and found a long list of links. In one of the links, I found this:

----------------------------------
I've now solved all my problems with the game, and they were due to dual core.

The problem is to get the game to run on one processor, unfortunately you can't alt/tab out to use the set affinity in the task manager.

This is my solution:

Download process changer:

http://dades.joor.net/article_fitxer...rocessutil.htm

Now download sleep utility:

http://www.computerhope.com/download/utility/sleep.exe

Put them both in the thief system directory.

Now open Notepad and copy this in:

sleep.exe 10
process -a t3main.exe 01
process -a t3.exe 01

Go to save as and select All Files as type. Now call the file ?????.bat, were ????? is whatever you want.

Now create a shortcut to this file near wherever you launch thief from, and every time you launch thief launch this .bat just before (you have 10 seconds to start thief after you run it, unless you change the 10 after sleep to something else).

Bingo, all Dual core problems should be solved.

This process works for other games as well, just change t3main.exe to whatever that program's executable is called.

------------------------------

There could be other solutions as well. If you go to the top of this page, and click on 'search', and then type in the topic you want to search for, you will probably find what you are looking for, here and at ttlg.com

Rommel_1891
10th Aug 2006, 13:53
Good find Yubetcha.

That all looks right to me, so that would be the next best step in my opinion IHYE.

Headache
10th Aug 2006, 14:25
That all looks right to me, so that would be the next best step in my opinion IHYE.
Actaully my bro in law knows how to fix it so that it turns only one off for the Thief game only (every time you start the game) and you don't have to always repeat that process. Plus Im a little hesitant to download really anything from the interent for I've had bad experiences. Did I make any sense? Lol, Im not to sure... I sometimes think people don't understand what I write :o
Im grateful for the help though guys, thanks! :D