PDA

View Full Version : Veteran In need of Help!

Hukamastokea
26th Jul 2006, 16:11
I have been play this game since it first came out. I am really good on the campaign map but in battles I look like a two year!!! Can any one give me some tips or tricks on how to be better? Thanks Tyler:o

ytareh
26th Jul 2006, 18:28
Im the opposite ,I JUST play on the battlefield.Why not slow down the speed of the game in battle by pressing Ctrl and + or - (might have to be the Numpad/top right hand side of keyboard +/-?)That way you can really plan things out -at one eighth speed its agonisingly slow!!!
Also you can group units into different packs by highlighting them and pressing Ctrl and 1,2,3,4,5 etc etc
What else?Well destroying the enemies artillery is normally a first task -in fact its even preprogrammed into the soldiers-try firing cannons at distant cavalry and see what happens...
Have Fun!

colmde
28th Jul 2006, 11:35
I'm not too bad at the battles, though when they are big battles, I tend to lose track of everything that's going on (pity it doesn't have a "Pause/Command" like RTW)...

Anyway, one thing is, if you have a few units of infantry, try have them side by side firing at the enemy rather than one behind the other... Even though they seem to fire through each other (no friendly fire), there doesn't seem to be as much an effect.

Also I have never found hiding in houses to be that helpful. Only one unit can occupy a house at a time, which means if the enemy send in a unit of militia or something, you have to let them fight it out, no way of reinforcing them.

Another thing, learn square formation as soon as you can. Makes enemy cavalry almost worthless.

_five_by_five_
28th Jul 2006, 17:05
I'm not too bad at the battles, though when they are big battles, I tend to lose track of everything that's going on (pity it doesn't have a "Pause/Command" like RTW)...

I feel for you, had the same problem as soon as everyone was moving around generals or hell fricking fieldmarshals with a 4th army as reinforcement (I still don't get why ppl ask for bigger units and armies in their mods :scratch: )
With the slow-down command mentioned above most of that confusion can be remedied though ;)

Lines behind each other are no good idea, you are right there, simply because the amount of damage is always dependant on how clear the line of fire is. You can tell when the red (= bad), yellow (= mediocre), green (= good) little gun appears above the unit.

How effective hiding in houses is, seems to depend on the structure and the bonuses for range and defense that come with it. The central Tower in England for example can be a nightmare to take without artillery (I've seen 2 infantry units die just marching towards it) while most farms are not worth a lot, you are right. On the other hand I have won battles where all I had left was some light infantry in a structure and the enemy still had like 2 militia and 5 cav units (the latter can do NOTHING about garrisoned units, not very realistic but well ...).

General au France
2nd Sep 2006, 13:35
Look terrain, build a strategy, put your men in formation and slowly move to enemy (don't lose him from your eye's, and on't let him to nose-dive you). Cannons in front, howards in back, if they fire better charge them and other way back, and if somebody charged you go in sqare formation; and always go in the battle with more men (and that's the best strategy)!!!

mongoose8
7th Sep 2006, 22:51
I tend to lose track of everything that's going on (pity it doesn't have a "Pause/Command" like RTW)...

BUT....if you get good rtw you dont need to use the pause :cool:

DarknessofFate
17th Sep 2006, 08:29
BUT....if you get good rtw you dont need to use the pause :cool:

Me neither. You just have to be able to think and act quickly. After enough RTS RTT its a naturel thing.