PDA

View Full Version : tomb raider getting easy?

st_nick5
16th Jul 2006, 12:35
i think that the tomb raider games are getting really easy. In tomb raider 2 i needed a walkthrough virtually all through the game. the samewith chronicles and last revelation. But the angel of darkness was really easy and i only needed a walkthrough for one level. tomb raider legend: i did hard mode and i completed it first time without using walkthroughs or cheats. Anyone got any views on this?

mamadillo
16th Jul 2006, 13:09
you're getting better at games and know the kind of puzzles that come up in TR games.

Treeble
16th Jul 2006, 13:26
That's a very plausible explanation. Look at the ammount of newcomers to TR getting stuck. It would be suicide if they decided to make an extremely difficult Tomb Raider to attract new fans.

Mangar The Dark
16th Jul 2006, 13:33
The games are more streamlined now. Chronicles, AOD and Legend required a lot less backtracking. On one hand, that makes them shorter, but on the other hand, I like knowing that I'll always see something new when I play. In TR3 and 4, although I liked both games a lot, I remember spending far too much time retracing my steps. I don't think games SHOULD be so tough that you need a walkthrough to get through them. So overall, I'm happy with the simplification, but the designers need to balance this by creating more levels.

TR1 probably struck the perfect balance. It did require some backtracking, but it never felt unmanageable.

Also, I don't think it's just a matter of us getting better at the games. If I go back and play The Lost Artifact now, I still get lost much more than I do with Legend or AOD.

ziad
16th Jul 2006, 17:53
lol i've posted so many comments on this point... i honestly think that the makers of tombraider are getting bored with spending time on writing the games levels... legend was actually too easy, i finished it within the first day of buying it... there was only erm say what, 8 levels... this game was sooo easy and so short i'm actually put of buying another eidos game... i know that tomb raider want to attract new fans and everything but come on... why go to extreams to make the game easy. i loved tome raider 1-5 based on the challenge. i think thats what the fans of tombraider wanted the games to be... aod had an amazing storyline so i guess that was about the only thing keeping the game from being a flop... but legend has to be the worst tr EVER... and by the way, treeble, stop trying to contradict everybody on the forums, tomb raider yes wanted to attract new fans but this lost more people then it attracted.

DarkSoulKagan
16th Jul 2006, 18:12
So...it lost more people than it gained, despite being the fastest selling Tomb Raider Game of all time?

I don't see how being easy and short make it the worst TR game, though. I mean, it was very well done, and fun all the way through - at least for me.

Treeble
16th Jul 2006, 18:25
and by the way, treeble, stop trying to contradict everybody on the forums.

Erm, sorry? :scratch:

nowalruses
17th Jul 2006, 02:39
Ziad, I don't think Treeble was trying to contradict anybody. he just added his opinion like the creator of the thread asked us to do. And, I don't think it has anything to do with the makers of TR getting bored because this is the first TR game Crystal Dynamics has made. i think it makes perfect sense, based on the fact that the franchise was really suffering and this was our first chance to play a CD Raider game, that eidos and CD would want to make a more accessible game to appeal to a wider gaming audience and attract new fans to the series. I don't think being shorter and easier made the game bad, i think it made the game....well, shorter and easier. yes, i would like to see the next game a little longer and a little more challenging, but for a first attempt this was a darn good game...far better than AOD.

ziad
17th Jul 2006, 17:05
lol ok people i'm tired of complaining about this game. lol just read the 'what would u like to see in tomb raider 8' comment that i wrote and then u'll get why i hated it. and btw AOD rocks

LordOShadows
20th Jul 2006, 00:09
TR1 probably struck the perfect balance. It did require some backtracking, but it never felt unmanageable.

I have to totally agree.....while I have loved the graphical improvements over the years......the overall gameplay has gone completely downhill. I'm actually sorry I paid good money for this game. It looks beautiful, but the gameplay and puzzles sucked. I hate wasting good money on any game that I can sit down and beat in a couple of sittings. It has nothing to do with getting better at the games. It has to do with gaming and gameplay in general. As far as the new people getting stuck, all I have to say is, If you get stuck playing this game then you don't have any business playing TR in the first place. Just my opinion. I have to rate this a -8 out of 5 stars. The graphics are the only thing keeping it from being a -10. :mad2:

Mangar The Dark
20th Jul 2006, 12:58
tomb raider yes wanted to attract new fans but this lost more people then it attracted.

Completely untrue. Legend was a huge hit with many people, even if you didn't like it.
Just as I didn't like TR2, I'll freely admit that MOST people did like it and the game was a success. So, by the same token, just because you didn't like Legend, it's a little silly to say it alienated most people. As a long time TR fan, I thoroughly enjoyed Legend. I just wish it had more levels.

shaahinkaaveh
20th Jul 2006, 13:14
I wonder how the same discussions go through different paths when started once again!! That's really interesting! The starter of this thread is new to the forum and he's actually started an old discussion again :) . But he's hearing some new things!

st_nick5 :) , maybe having a look around (maybe most at the two sticky threads "How do you rate Legend" and "What do you want to see") shows some old discussions.

st_nick5
28th Jul 2006, 12:09
i didnt say i didnt like it, i said that it was to easy

dulcetpurr
28th Jul 2006, 18:04
I thought Legend was 'just right' on the challenging scale, at least to me. But then, I'm a rather 'girly' gamer. I suck at combat, I have a hard time figuring out puzzles on my own, and Tomb Raider is virtually THE ONLY game I actually play, excluding The Sims.

I remember the first TR game that I thought was actually HARD was TR2. I kept getting killed and couldn't get my enemies down, kept getting eaten by the shark, etc. LOL. It's funny when I think back on it, but at the time I was pissed! "This is so hard!" I thought at least a dozen times. Then there were moments with TR3 that I was positively infuriated! "How do they expect anyone to do this???" I thought. (Running to pull two levers while a spiked ceiling descends in complete darkness, for example!)

The point I'm trying to make is, all gamers are different. I'm sure there's some of you experts out there that have played adventure and FPS almost all your life, and of course you guys can beat the game in less than a day. I think Legend caters to a very wide audience. And for a game that tries to please everyone, experienced or not, I think it does a great job! :D