PDA

View Full Version : BO: LoK next-gen remake and next-gen Prequel

WoeToTheConquered
26th Sep 2013, 17:10
I very very briefly mentioned these in post scripts in the Initial Thoughts thread, but I felt these ideas are deserving of their own topic, so here they are again.

Post Script:

I keep thinking of a Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the original game) remake for the next-gen era, and I'm almost drowning in drool...

Post Post Script:

Has anyone ever considered making a PREQUEL to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain? Where you play as the HUMAN Kain? Who was a noble? I think that could be very intriguing, personally....

Thoughts? Feelings? Did your face melt? :)

YourWaywardDestiny
27th Sep 2013, 04:09
I don't know what I'd do with myself if there were a Blood Omen remake. I would probably die right there. To have a remake would be like all my dreams came true at once.

Rynfear
27th Sep 2013, 08:33
Prequel: Kain was a random nobleman who needed shelter for the night, not a battle-seasoned hardened badass straight out of his last boss fight. Who Kain was before he was a vampire doesn't matter, and making him into some sort of adventurer would seriously dillute the lore.

Remake: It's a bit hard to remake a game like Blood Omen and not cut down on the features due to budget constraints. BO was a zelda-like game full of stuff to do. You had tons of secrets, could possess almost anything in the game, shift into different forms, had tons of spells and usable items. A remake in modern gaming aspects would transform Blood Omen into a God of War/Devil May Cry-like game (see: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow) and I'd honestly rather just play Blood Omen again.

Moesph
27th Sep 2013, 13:44
Follow the story of a pompous noble as he goes sight seeing around the lands of Nosgoth. Legacy of Kain the Tourist.

It would be a start to actually have Blood Omen as a digital download, packaged in with the ones already available on Steam and GOG etc. So far it's only available on PSN for US customers only.

Markelim
27th Sep 2013, 16:15
A prequel can be made with all of Nosgoth's history but it should not star Kain, his story lies elsewhere and his humble beginnings as a human just aren't all that relevant to the story.

I'm all for a BO remake though. The series has grown and has been fleshed out so much since the first game, and most things that happened after BO were not planned so certain things do stick out. Going in now with a clear idea of what has worked and what can be cut or improved makes BO into an ideal game to remake.

WoeToTheConquered
27th Sep 2013, 20:39
A pre-BO game wouldn't have to star Kain, true. It could follow Janos Audron and the war between the Vampires and Hylden, or it could follow Vorador and his struggle against the human council and their corruption, any number of things that are mentioned in the lore, but not explicitly covered in game play. I also rather liked the story surrounding the fall of corrupted human council itself. To see that through Malek's eyes...or Nupraptor's...or Mortanius'...or all of them.

I just thought it might also be interesting to see what Kain was like as a human, aside from getting assassinated of the middle of nowhere (Zeigsturhl) before he was realized as the next Balance Guardian. There was quite a lot of strife going on in Nosgoth before Kain was made into a vampire, too. We know that Mortanius was keeping an eye on him at least, given he had Kain assassinated, and I'm more than certain that Moebius was as well, given how things turn out in the end. Even a cameo would be nice.

As for a remake of the original, that should be a pretty easy job. Not a lot would have to change to bring it into the current-gen/next-gen era, really. The Nosgoth portrayed in BO is really the right size already, and by that I mean it's huuuuuge. Just slap some updated models in there and translate the map from 2d to 3d and we're peachy for that part. For the items, you'd have to rework the Tarot cards...probably lose the Heart of Darkness (even though I love the way Kain says it), since in the later titles (particularly SR2 and Defiance) we find out that there's only one, and it belongs to Janos. Then maybe just have the rest as regular store-able items, rather than cards...even though that would make me kinda sad to see the Tarot not be a deck of cards anymore...oh well.

Overall it should be pretty easy to avoid screwing up a BO remake, if you made every effort to stick as close as possible to translating the original into a modern format. It would likely be necessary to bring it out of the top-down 3rd person view into an over-the-shoulder or 1st person view like the other games, but that should by no means detract from the experience at all, since the other games serve as an example of such a change being made successfully. HOWEVER, you could even do to retain the original top-down view and still bring such a remake into the modern era graphics-wise, vis a vis Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, and so on. It's all very doable.

If you were to go for the pure graphics & physics update route, even just doing that would sell like hotcakes, because right now that's the only thing outdated about Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Everything else in it is still top notch quality...except for some of the sound bytes being reused too much maybe, but aside from that!

LordMortanius
27th Sep 2013, 21:21
With so many open world action games out and releasing soon this is one of the reasons I'm stunned this has not been remade already. All the pieces are in place it just needs careful planning. Things like easy quick select and ability hotbars can manage the multitude of weapons and abilities garnered, you can even have some fun with side quests and NPC characters ala Skyrim to give a true sense of the 'living' world. Taking a page out of fast paced action games like MGR:Revengeance or Devil May Cry 3+4 could really ramp up the combat pace as well making you feel supernaturally superior to lesser enemies. Small liberties taken with the lore here and there could also supply new abilities or game mechanics while still staying truthful to the source as well :D Seriously why wasn't this done again?

WoeToTheConquered
27th Sep 2013, 21:31
Well a few reasons I imagine, mostly because the original companies that made the games have all disappeared or been absorbed into larger conglomerates and given other things to work on, along with some of the talent going to work on other stuff, or retire, or (sadly) die. All the normal stuff that happens over the course of a few decades that you'd expect, really.
Still, LoK is very fertile soil, and with proper care, it could yield some really amazing, world record crops.

PoppaKain
28th Sep 2013, 11:24
Honestly, I think I speak for all of us when I say no one cares about what I did when I was human. Now, a retelling of my first vampiric days with fancy new graphics? That I could get behind.

Sadics
29th Sep 2013, 07:05
I always said LoK fans are the best. Is truly a game the will never be forgotten ! :)
I'd love a BO prequel if I remember right Mobeus create Kain (vampire) by giving him the black heart so there is plenty of story there from taking Janos Audron's heart till Kais is "reborn" and I think it would be an awesome story especially for us just because:
- we already have scenes for it from soul reaver II where raziel human rips the heart out
- Janos struggle between his Vampire lagacy and hylden curse
- Kain human dies and becomes a vampire
- even a new gen console cinematic where raziel human dies by raziel soul reaver
it could play a whole new story based on small details we already know ... another piece to the big LoK puzzle because even they stop making it the story is far for being over.
Elder God gets buried not dead, Raziel becomes one with the Soul Reaver not dead, Janos corrupted by hyldens escapes ...
This are just ideas but I'd love to see this prequel LoK (kain raziel humans) then remake LoK then maybe a final story !!
any adds or opinions to this is more then welcome ! :)

Vanyelxp5
29th Sep 2013, 13:50
Moebius manipulated the events that lead to Kain's death and subsequent resurrection, but it was the necromancer Mortanius that raised him as a vampire by using the Heart of Darkness.

Kain pre-vampirism would not be an interesting character. He's a petty noble wandering where he doesn't belong.

Remakes of the older games would be awesome. Especially Soul Reaver.

The Elder God has never been dead, even the ending of the game tells you flat out that he's not dead. So why people think you killed him boggles my mind.

Raziel was devoured by the Reaver, I don't think anyone comes back from that.

Janos was possessed by the Hylden, taken away and transformed into The Beast which was then intended to be used as a power source for The Device in Blood Omen 2. At the end of this game he was thrown into the Hylden's hell dimension.... So he's pretty much screwed.

That being said... There is still a lot of story left to be told. Including the potential for more paradox inducing time travel.

Sadics
29th Sep 2013, 19:08
Kain gets his black heart ripped out and still finds a way back ( i dont remember the details I think from Hell dimension ) yet Raziel becomes one with the Soul Reaver as the "final element" that grants true vision so not necessary devoured so might be a chance to bring him back ... how about "the wheel of fate must turn" so that means nothing is lost just transformed maybe ... just an idea
and for Janos I remember he just vanishes after second fight w raziel ... I might have to check that again.
I dont remember Mortanius played BO soooo looong ago haha
But yeah tons of ideas that just needs a good writer and a few developers :)

Reidbynature
1st Oct 2013, 15:29
Follow the story of a pompous noble as he goes sight seeing around the lands of Nosgoth. Legacy of Kain the Tourist.

It would be a start to actually have Blood Omen as a digital download, packaged in with the ones already available on Steam and GOG etc. So far it's only available on PSN for US customers only.

Blood Omen has been on the PSN for a while now, Moseph.

Moesph
1st Oct 2013, 16:21
I see it on MediaGo. ;) Not having it listed on their site is a pretty big oversight lol.
I guess it's not likely we will see a pc version anywhere.

Vanyelxp5
1st Oct 2013, 22:25
There is a PC version of Blood omen. Not a new PC version though, highest it supports is windows 98 I think... You can buy a copy off of Amazon for almost $100. :P

Swagraven
2nd Oct 2013, 09:46
A pre-Blood Omen game featuring Vorador as the main character would be just be awesome.

Moesph
2nd Oct 2013, 11:15
A pre-Blood Omen game featuring Vorador as the main character would be just be awesome.
Now that is a good idea, but it would have to be some ways into the past, lest it be a game of Vorador's lazy days chilling in his mansion with several hundred women.

There is a PC version of Blood omen. Not a new PC version though, highest it supports is windows 98 I think... You can buy a copy off of Amazon for almost $100. :P
Or buy the more affordable PC versions from UK's Amazon. :P
Not a problem for me though, I still have my original game, but I would like to flaunt it on Steam.

Swagraven
2nd Oct 2013, 11:34
Now that is a good idea, but it would have to be some ways into the past, lest it be a game of Vorador's lazy days chilling in his mansion with several hundred women.

Well, yeah. It wouldn't be fun hanging around with 10000 vampire wives all nagging you to take the trash out.

LOFO1993
2nd Oct 2013, 14:17
Speaking of a Blood Omen Remake, probably this may interest you:
http://omnicide.legacy-of-kain.ru/en/

I'm partially involved in the project, and I can assure you it's something both big and great.

The_Reaver
7th Oct 2013, 19:04
Speaking of a Blood Omen Remake, probably this may interest you:
http://omnicide.legacy-of-kain.ru/en/

I'm partially involved in the project, and I can assure you it's something both big and great.
I've heard about this project a long time ago. For some reason I don't know I forgot to keep checking its development. I am really happy that you posted about it here. I am downloading right now the alpha and I'll try it :) The gameplay video looks amazing. I remember I saw it right in the beginning.

I may write some review about it on my blog soon.

I am amazed.

LOFO1993
7th Oct 2013, 19:13
I've heard about this project a long time ago. For some reason I don't know I forgot to keep checking its development. I am really happy that you posted about it here. I am downloading right now the alpha and I'll try it :) The gameplay video looks amazing. I remember I saw it right in the beginning.

I may write some review about it on my blog soon.

I am amazed.

Happy you're doing it!

Remember the alpha you are going to play is a VERY early stage of development (something like 1-1.5 years old). I have a repository copy of the game on my pc, and I assure you, it's totally different (right now is probably even better than the trailer posted on the site). The 0.1 version of the game will be released soon (hopefully around Christmas, but it's really something hard to predict), which will feature graphics and game-play near to the final version, but with the game only playable for the 5% of the total more or less.

The_Reaver
7th Oct 2013, 19:39
I am already stuck on the instalation of the alpha. OMG sometimes I seem so newbie LOL
Anyway I am anxious to play it, because at the moment I am replaying the series and started with blood omen, soooo Blood Omen is really freshy on my head. Actaully I got shocked and amazed by the similarity between the games. Omnicide seems to be very faithful to Blood Omen :)

LOFO1993
7th Oct 2013, 19:47
It is surely faithful, that is one of the main points it's being built on. It's more like a complete 3D reskin with some small changes than a different game.

After the first time I tried it out I was impressed to know it was actually built on some deviation of the QuakeEngine, because of how similar to the original it looked and felt.

Jfk316
15th Nov 2013, 22:47
Hey Guys,
So im brand new to this forum so dont hold it against me :)
So Im gonna get straight to it and Ask why a New legacy of Kain game hasnt been created yet??
This game was THE best gaming series of this genre of ALL time in most peoples opinions...
Im seriously amazed why it hasnt been added or even remade....

So, issues of having a follow on from the most epic game in history are...
Original cast, script writers, directors ....etc are unwilling or unavailable...

What to do then hmmmmm...

I understand you guys have a multiplier spin off coming out based on or lithely related to nosgoth...But,
For the millions of fans out there I think its not what we are looking for....

So How bout a remake????

A re-imagining of the first game perhaps...

My first idea was A jack the ripper style, Old English, Dank Back street, gloomy surroundings with all sorts of Characters and sins happening on every corner. Think, Angel( David boreanez character but Kainified ) (Sounds Delightful!!!) sulking around streets killing the innocent, looting...and then eventually trying to find and destroy his Maker....
Obviously nextGen Graphics included...:cool:

Intro:

Our Naive young Kain steps out from a carriage with wide-eyed noble intent of making a name for himself in business.
His noble up-bringing gives him a sense of confidence and urgency to achieve his petulant dreams.

UN-Beknown to himself certain tragedy lies ahead that Leads to a deal with the "DEVIL" otherwise named Moebius.

The sickening pain and realization that all is lost, leaves Our anti-hero desperate and doomed....

His Rise/fall to greateness begins... From days to the future...and from the past.

So much room for witty banter and evil kain laughs to occur...what could be better... :)

Suggestions or criticism warranted... :)

RainaAudron
16th Nov 2013, 15:22
You´re not the first one to think of this, however, certain things cannot be made and it seems this will be one of them. At least we have Blood Omnicide :)

Liquid_speaker
21st Nov 2013, 01:43
Kain could be in just about any remake, from hyldan war on. He is kind of a time traveler.

r0ckwolf
5th Dec 2013, 12:35
I so want a reamke of the original LoK:worship::worship::worship:, just imagine all the cool abilities like turning into bats, a wolf or mist on next gen hardware! And it´s the only game in the series so far which showed the non apocalyptic Nosgoth in an open world scenario with people living in it. I would turn into an eight year old kid on the day befoore christmas again, if they ever announce that! :D

Topherous86
20th Dec 2013, 17:26
I believe that if BO was to be remade, it should be in a form that feels fresh to the older fans as well as gain interest from a newer audience. Given the knowledge that we older fans have from playing the series, they should include subtle (or even major) hints towards events from the rest of the series that we would understand, and yet, will foreshadow the future for new fans, if so ever the series was to get remade, or even rereleased.

Other additional factors I believe they should have is actually show William as The Nemesis, possibly have him land the final blow upon Ottmar in the battle of the last stand. And then, when Kain goes into the past, make William a little more youthful and naïve, because he didn't feel that way to me in the original (possibly due to Tony Jay's voice making him more mature), but the later entries in the series make him out to be more of a 'boy king', so they should elaborate on this detail.

I believe that at least BO1 and SR1 should be remade, with the later games rereleased in HD as a way to reintroduce the series to a newer audience. It still has one of the best stories told in the medium, so I believe that it'd work out just as well now than it did before.