PDA

View Full Version : Please include non-combat areas

Rexidus
26th Sep 2013, 12:25
Hello Nosgoth.

I just want to say that I would really like some non-combat areas to explore in the game. My fear is that this game will be an arena style game like League of Legends or Smite and thus the only place you get to use your characters is in combat stages.

Part of what draws me to the setting is the rich history and locals. I love the time frame that this game is being set in and want to be able to explore the world a bit. I want to make a character that I can believe is native to this world and can exist outside of combat.

MasterShuriko
26th Sep 2013, 12:51
I´m not sure that this is a openworld.

The feeling I´m getting is that this is a purely PvP game where X-amount of people face of in a arena as you stated.

The_Reaver
26th Sep 2013, 15:47
It's a pity to not being an openworld.
If it's after Soul Reaver events, it would be awesome to explore places where Raziel has been ...

(just a dream)

Rynfear
26th Sep 2013, 17:53
It's a class-based multiplayer shooter in the vein of Primal Carnage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zORcjxTzGPY

It's not gonna have "exploration", you're barking up the wrong tree.

Rexidus
27th Sep 2013, 01:20
They want our input. That's my input. I want to make a character that exists in the world. I want a world that I can believe exists outside of the arena maps.

KitKhains
27th Sep 2013, 18:21
I agree with you, Rexidus!! Completely! ABSOLUTELY! XD No seriously though, I played another constant PVP MMO (DC Universe) where you have quests but the world is a constant mess of fighting. I couldn't walk five feet without getting shot at. I think after awhile of that people will honestly get bored. Think of all the people that play WoW or other games that have level caps. They wind up getting completely leveled characters and just keep making them over and over again. If there is nothing else to do except fighting, my gosh, after people get through all the classes and characters they are going to be bored out of their mind. I think an open world would be great, along with quest, and a crafting aspect. Otherwise, this game won't really hold too much value.

Reidbynature
27th Sep 2013, 18:31
This request is likely unrealistic.

KitKhains
27th Sep 2013, 18:38
Well if it's unrealistic I think people are going to get bored really fast. It's not unreasonable to request that though, since if you look at any MMO most have those features. I can't really see the appeal of having a that is just 'wooo mindless killing of people constantly, no plot, no quest, no nothing. Just kill kill kill.' To me, that seems a bit dull. I don't think they would want that.

LiKrySo
27th Sep 2013, 18:54
I can't really see the appeal of having a that is just 'wooo mindless killing of people constantly, no plot, no quest, no nothing. Just kill kill kill.' To me, that seems a bit dull. I don't think they would want that.

Well Nosgoth is literally a war between humans and vampires, "just kill kill kill" is pretty accurate description of a war, sure, they'll add cosmetic items, skins and weapons, the trailer already shows different skins (At least for the Razielim) and one of the devs mentions "Swapping out" combat items to heal their comrades.

Quests sound unlikely, but I guess we'll have to wait untill monday to see in what way we'll influence Nosgoth's history.

Nosgoth is not an MMO. It's a "competitive online multiplayer experience"

The_Hylden
27th Sep 2013, 20:28
Perhaps it might be possible down the line to add in a hub for each class. Like, before you enter the battle, you have an inner city dwelling where characters spawn into, depending on your side. One for the vampires, one for the humans, and here you could try out changing your character's appearance, armor, etc., in the vein of many other online hubs in games, or something like Second Life. You possibly might have a little roaming ability here to interact with surroundings, chat with other teammates, view trophies and artifacts you possibly might have gained in kills, which might have lore points attached to them (just riffing here).

Reidbynature
27th Sep 2013, 20:55
A hub area sounds more within the realm of what is possible. I wouldn't get my hopes up personally.

MasterShuriko
28th Sep 2013, 02:03
Perhaps it might be possible down the line to add in a hub for each class. Like, before you enter the battle, you have an inner city dwelling where characters spawn into, depending on your side. One for the vampires, one for the humans, and here you could try out changing your character's appearance, armor, etc., in the vein of many other online hubs in games, or something like Second Life. You possibly might have a little roaming ability here to interact with surroundings, chat with other teammates, view trophies and artifacts you possibly might have gained in kills, which might have lore points attached to them (just riffing here).

That would be a awesome spot to place the Clan leaders!
Perhaps a inspirational speach from them?
Lore elements?
The possibilities! *drool*

WoeToTheConquered
28th Sep 2013, 03:05
Well it could be shaped into something where the main focus is the PvP, but there's also a lot of PvE missions, like Global Agenda. I saw mention that you'll be able to "level up" in this game...doing special "hunting" missions against computer-controlled enemies would be a great way to earn experience and test out new skills/abilities/weapons/classes. It could be a solo mission, or one where you can bring a few allies along with you.

If you're a vampire, you might be trying to hunt down a high ranking priest or paladin-type holed up in some sort of fort or castle, and have to assault it, kill some or all of the people guarding the target, and then take them out in a boss fight.

If you're a human, similar thing only you might be targeting a sort of vampire commander of some sort...not one of the Lieutenants, but one who's more powerful and evolved than your average blood sucker. Might have to wade through a bunch of lower level blood suckers to get to them in their ruins or cave.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to throw something like that into the game.
Find some fat loots if you're successful. Sucks to be you if you die.
Instanced PvE dungeons. Yup.

Rexidus
28th Sep 2013, 06:39
This request is likely unrealistic.
Probably, but I did want to voice it. I won't throw a tantrum if it's unfulfilled.

Such an area would be adequate and basically what I'm asking for. Especially if such an area can be expanded upon later.

Le_Don
28th Sep 2013, 08:12
Sorry, but I'm not sure I would agree with your idea, because there is a hich chance people are just starting to hang around in these spawn areas and not fight. This isvery frustrating and annoying for people, who wants to play (=fight) in this game.

Kriegson
28th Sep 2013, 10:11
Sorry, but I'm not sure I would agree with your idea, because there is a hich chance people are just starting to hang around in these spawn areas and not fight. This isvery frustrating and annoying for people, who wants to play (=fight) in this game.
Pretty unlikely unless they add something fairly compelling, and that aside, why not? I'm sure there will always be plenty of people available to fight, why not add a hub of sorts?

Actually I think it would be pretty awesome if we could use a hub of sorts to tie the lore into the game, combat unlocking various pieces of history and bits of puzzles that can eventually be completed or solved to learn something interesting and delve deeper into the world, perhaps unlocking some fancy bits in the process.

Le_Don
28th Sep 2013, 11:55
Pretty unlikely unless they add something fairly compelling, and that aside, why not?
I think I did explain it in this post and I'm speaking as someone who played a competitive game like Team Fortress 2 for many years. Sorry if I'm not very constructive with this, but it sucks, if you play on a server and half of your team is afk, chatting, checking their gear or just looking around and this will happen, when you add those areas The_Hylden did describe in a competitive game.

When you do something like that, please not in the battle maps and not during a match.

Kriegson
28th Sep 2013, 12:14
I think I did explain it in this post and I'm speaking as someone who played a competitive game like Team Fortress 2 for many years. Sorry if I'm not very constructive with this, but it sucks, if you play on a server and half of your team is afk, chatting, checking their gear or just looking around and this will happen, when you add those areas The_Hylden did describe in a competitive game.

When you do something like that, please not in the battle maps and not during a match.

I've made a post pertaining to how it could be done outside of normal gameplay. Kind of like in your class equipment section for TF2 but with a more thematic representation.

Le_Don
28th Sep 2013, 12:31
Please say next where to find this postings ;).

That would work better, as it's not part of the "gameplay" or let's say matches and wouldn't distract the players. In addition the players would be able to check it out offline and not necessary during a match.

The_Hylden
28th Sep 2013, 17:15
That would be a awesome spot to place the Clan leaders!
Perhaps a inspirational speach from them?
Lore elements?
The possibilities! *drool*

That would be awesome :) I would love to see some Lieutenants in this game in some form.

It should be no different than hubs in games such as DCUO (police stations, JLA headquarters in space), or planet hubs in The Old Republic. There should still be enough people to want to dive into the match up parts, but it all depends greatly on how interesting and lasting the appeal already is for that gameplay.

Wraithblade6
30th Sep 2013, 06:58
Pvp-only is doomed to failure. It doesn't matter how great the combat experience is. There are tons of other combat games to play out there. It's just not what Nosgoth is about. I think a combat game will attract combat-type players, but the LoK guys will leave, embittered. Eventually, pvper's will find something else like the next call of duty or whatever. But as it is, this has no purpose, no progression, no victory. You never get to "be someone."

How are you going to make players feel important in this world? Can you give them a feeling of bonding with their race? Is all this battling actually going to change something in the game over time?

Kriegson
30th Sep 2013, 10:48
Please say next where to find this postings ;).

That would work better, as it's not part of the "gameplay" or let's say matches and wouldn't distract the players. In addition the players would be able to check it out offline and not necessary during a match.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7255

Could be represented in a few ways, wouldn't have to be free roam but done right it could feel pretty awesome.

Vampmaster
30th Sep 2013, 11:00
How are you going to make players feel important in this world? Can you give them a feeling of bonding with their race? Is all this battling actually going to change something in the game over time?

It's got to be about the clan leaders and human counter parts. It's like in Star Trek how the Borg are all the same and void of personality. Then you add Locutus or the Borg Queen and things start to get interesting. You need some sort of representative to relate to.

Also, think about games like Red Alert 3. That managed to include a plotline (cheezy as it was) in between a type of gameplay that I wouldn't have expected to support one.

Vanyelxp5
30th Sep 2013, 13:23
Well Nosgoth is literally a war between humans and vampires, "just kill kill kill" is pretty accurate description of a war, sure, they'll add cosmetic items, skins and weapons, the trailer already shows different skins (At least for the Razielim) and one of the devs mentions "Swapping out" combat items to heal their comrades.

Quests sound unlikely, but I guess we'll have to wait untill monday to see in what way we'll influence Nosgoth's history.

Nosgoth is not an MMO. It's a "competitive online multiplayer experience"

The majority of any war is waiting.

This also fits with this style of game, because we'll have to wait for enough people to join the map in order to start the battle.