PDA

View Full Version : Whats the score?

dhama
3rd Jul 2006, 13:18
Did Core design start this and then CD take over? I've heard rumours, but anyone know the real truth?

aussie500
3rd Jul 2006, 14:18
They both did one, but only Crystal Dynamics will get to complete it, the Core Design game was cancelled at 80% completed

enoch
3rd Jul 2006, 15:01
Doesn't sound plausible. There is no way that CD have been able to work at both a legend and an anniversary edition at the same time. And it would be foolish just to bin everything that Core has made so it must be the Core work that CD has taken over.

Mangar The Dark
3rd Jul 2006, 15:57
Doesn't sound plausible. There is no way that CD have been able to work at both a legend and an anniversary edition at the same time.

Unless they were doing them simultaneously, hence the reason Legend is so short?

kksmith
3rd Jul 2006, 16:10
Doesn't sound plausible. There is no way that CD have been able to work at both a legend and an anniversary edition at the same time. And it would be foolish just to bin everything that Core has made so it must be the Core work that CD has taken over.

Nah that's entirely possible. It all depends on how many people they have on the team vs. how many they actually needed to complete the game. I don't know their team size, but I'm sure it's decently large (they did Legacy of Kain amongst other things). If anything, you can get people working on stuff like artwork and design while the programmers are finishing up Legend as that stuff is usually done towards the beginning of the project and not needed as much near the end (here and there, but not as much).

dhama
3rd Jul 2006, 19:46
Unless they were doing them simultaneously, hence the reason Legend is so short?
LOL :lol: thats the spirit MtD, join the cynics. :D

Mangar The Dark
3rd Jul 2006, 20:54
Wha??? Who me? Nah....

Seriously, though, I wasn't being cynical. If CD was dividing its time between Legend and a 10th Anniversary game, it would make sense that Legend wouldn't be as long as, say, TR4. From a profit standpoint, too, it would make sense for Eidos to tell them, "Make two short/moderate games," rather than "Make one really long game." Maybe I'm completely wrong, but you have to admit, it does make some kind of sense.

midroth
3rd Jul 2006, 21:13
For me it soungs like:
Make fast easy money game/s.
A new one, just 8 fast levels. The most stuff just ready bought.
A second, take what we have and warm it up.

I hope I'm wrong with the second...

dhama
3rd Jul 2006, 21:28
For me it soungs like:
Make fast easy money game/s.
A new one, just 8 fast levels. The most stuff just ready bought.
A second, take what we have and warm it up.

I hope I'm wrong with the second...

So what your saying is; buy 1 game, pay for two... :eek:

kksmith
3rd Jul 2006, 22:12
Wha??? Who me? Nah....

Seriously, though, I wasn't being cynical. If CD was dividing its time between Legend and a 10th Anniversary game, it would make sense that Legend wouldn't be as long as, say, TR4. From a profit standpoint, too, it would make sense for Eidos to tell them, "Make two short/moderate games," rather than "Make one really long game." Maybe I'm completely wrong, but you have to admit, it does make some kind of sense.

That could very well be true. And if it's actually the case, you can blame Eidos on that one. But I think that sort of thing is actually pretty typical.

burt_ie
3rd Jul 2006, 22:41
Maybe Core built 80% of the game and CD have come in to finish it off……
The work on the leaked video looks impressive location wise but Lara looks and moves quite oddly. Maybe CD have taken over to make her movement and gameplay more fluid like it was in Legend and to “finish off” so to speak and to bring the final adjustments up to Legend standard.
In my opinion Core would have been the ideal team to actually remake the original TR levels…..after all they created them originally and have that “feeling” of what it was all about, but also it would make perfect sense to bring in CD to make it playable “legend” style. The result being a perfect blend of old fashioned TR classic with a hint of Legend next gen style game play (I hope anyway)

It also might make it more plausible to have a release date in November if this was the case as most of the work has already been done.

suzieq51
4th Jul 2006, 03:40
So what your saying is; buy 1 game, pay for two... :eek:
Funnily enough dhama, that was precisely my thought when rumours of this '10th Anniversary' game first started doing the rounds.;)

dhama
4th Jul 2006, 09:27
With the content that i've seen though, I feel more inclined to purchase the anniversary edition and wait for Legend to appear in the bargin basement for my collection.

Mangar The Dark
4th Jul 2006, 11:57
With the content that i've seen though, I feel more inclined to purchase the anniversary edition and wait for Legend to appear in the bargin basement for my collection.

I have to agree, and yet I'm surprised to hear myself saying that, since I was one of the people who thought a remake would be a waste of time when people first starting suggesting it. But after seeing that trailer, I have to admit, it looks pretty damn good! I like the Legend demo, and I've played it quite a few times now, but after hearing how small the game is, it really doesn't seem worth spending more than $15 on it.

enoch
4th Jul 2006, 14:56
The idea of CD working on two games at the same time kind of make sence to me now. Personally I think that if they are able to ship two different titles with TR to the retail in less than nine months AND on various platforms AND if they both are good (I happen to think Legend is) well, then I see 2006 as the best TR year ever!

Joshorty
4th Jul 2006, 15:24
Gee all this is making so much more sense:D I guess...Legend was to keep us occupied huh...at the same time, being a successful game (in some eyes or to some people) but I know it got me occupied 'cause I'm still replaying it over & over:D both the PSP and PS2 version. Now, I think I might just get the PSP version of the 10th Anniversary because I'm savin' lotsa money for something else...perhaps I'll buy the PS2 version later on....
*how can I forget - they should make Legend for the PS3 with added bonuses:D It's they're big chance to call it a director's cut or something or rather
AND I HOPE they keep the score the same...changing it would be..ugh-_-

Robert4lara11
14th Jul 2006, 19:47
I think core had sold the rites to tomb raider so they could make legend then wile they done that remke number 1 and then buy back the rites and amediatly realease or soming?

aussie500
15th Jul 2006, 00:24
The Core studio were the ones sold off, Tomb Raider is still with Eidos. Core will be releasing nothing, as a studio they no longer exist, Eidos owns the rights now, since they own the Core Design company name. Perhaps Robert4lara11 should catch up on some reading before making any more statements like the one above

Johnny
15th Jul 2006, 02:36
I think core had sold the rites to tomb raider so they could make legend then wile they done that remke number 1 and then buy back the rites and amediatly realease or soming?

That doesn't make any sense at all... :scratch:

import_craziej2k
15th Jul 2006, 06:08
who owns the rights to the music? TR1 just wouldn't be the same without the original theme

aussie500
15th Jul 2006, 07:20
Eidos owns the copyright on all things to do with Tomb Raider games although they might keep the same score l would think they would redo the music tracks, hopefully keeping the spooky sound effect, l think they add a lot to the atmosphere

winston
11th Aug 2006, 08:02
They both did one, but only Crystal Dynamics will get to complete it, the Core Design game was cancelled at 80% completed

Thats a shame coz I've seen the trailer and it looks good....:)

shaahinkaaveh
11th Aug 2006, 20:08
The theory Mangar The Dark says makes sense. Although that would be a little unwise of Eidos to tell two different developers to make a game at the same time.

Apart from this there is a fine point here: Eidos has bought all IPs of Core, but it means they own whatever Core has finished, they don't have the right to complete any incomplete project (that's how I understood it). So if this is true, the AE won't be accomplishment of Core's AE.

I have no idea at all why they cancelled Core's project.

aussie500
12th Aug 2006, 09:35
They did not buy the IP's they brought Core way back before the first game was released, they never sold the Core Design company only all its physical assets, therefore they still own the Core Design name and all IP's owned by that name. And certainly they never intended to have two developers working on different versions of the same game, they asked Core to do an anniversary edition, and it seems Crystal Dynamics for reasons of their own decided to do an updated version of the first game, presumably not knowing Core were already working on one. Only one could be released so hopefully Eidos/SCi chose the best one, me l have no problems with continuity, l would have brought both, played both and been quite happy. l like playing both the original games and Legend so having a faithfull remake of the original game, and a retelling of the story of the first game (or possibly two games) using the Legend engine would have been like an early christmas for me. Alas our Core remake will never be released now, l do not see Eidos/SCi splitting profits with Rebellion to release a game they already cancelled

enoch
13th Aug 2006, 10:49
So where are we now? I haven't see any news about the release date or any screens/clips from the game and the game SHOULD be out before years end, say november - right? Otherwise it wouldn't be a 10 year anniversary edition.:confused:

aussie500
13th Aug 2006, 13:41
It should be out late November, hopefully, but they are most likely going to sit on the details as long as inhumanly possible. l am hoping to see at least a few screen shots by mid September, undoubtedy as soon as they release any media concerning the game there will be an uproar, particularly from the Core Design fans, so they will give us nothing till the last minute

erosan
14th Aug 2006, 05:27
The theory Mangar The Dark says makes sense. Although that would be a little unwise of Eidos to tell two different developers to make a game at the same time.

Apart from this there is a fine point here: Eidos has bought all IPs of Core, but it means they own whatever Core has finished, they don't have the right to complete any incomplete project (that's how I understood it). So if this is true, the AE won't be accomplishment of Core's AE.

I have no idea at all why they cancelled Core's project.

I heared alot of people say, because Core's game would of been good and didnt want it released or easle everyone would blame Eidos for giving TR to Crystal..

Mangar The Dark
14th Aug 2006, 15:42
I heared alot of people say, because Core's game would of been good and didnt want it released or easle everyone would blame Eidos for giving TR to Crystal..

That seems like an EXTREMELY unlikely reason. Any company with half an ounce of business sense is not going to reject a product for being too good. I mean, picture the conversation at Eidos:

"Hey, did you get to play Core's new 10th Anniversary game? What do think of it?"

"Yeah, it's FANTASTIC!!! Tomb Raider fans will be thrilled with it! It's easily the best TR game ever. Simply awesome."

"Oh. Hmmm. Well, that might be a problem. You see, some die hard fans out there might look at the credits in the back of the instruction manual, and then they'll see that Core made this. Then, they'll double check the Legend credits, and they'll see that Crystal Dynamics made that. And, well, if this game is so good, then I might look a bit silly for kicking Core off of the Legend project. We'll have to scrap this game."

"Um, but sir, this game really is phenomenal! We'd sell tons of copies, make millions of dollars in profits, get rave reviews."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. But I'm afraid some people on the TR forums might pick at me if we release it. They're the sort of people who study game manuals and design credits, you know. So, the only way to keep everyone happy is to abandon this amazing game and make one that's not as good. Trust me. It's in the best interests of the whole company."

"Ok. If you say so."