PDA

View Full Version : Is Final Fantasy VI Considered the Best in the Series?

Ksquall
30th May 2012, 21:04
For all of your gamers who have been accustomed to the Final Fantasy series over the years, do you think that Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. I've always heard it spoken highly of. I never completed the game personally, but I was thinking of playing it all the way through finally. I've also heard some people say that it is the best Final Fantasy game. Do you believe this?

Nights
30th May 2012, 21:18
Final Fantasy VI is a much better game than Final Fantasy V or Magic Quest, that's for sure.

It is a well put together game, and it is probably one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era. It is definitely worth playing, regardless if it is or not the best in the series. Just suggestion: Be sure to play the PSX version if you can, its available for purchase off of PSN.

Ksquall
30th May 2012, 21:28
Final Fantasy VI is a much better game than Final Fantasy V or Magic Quest, that's for sure.

It is a well put together game, and it is probably one of the best RPGs of the 16-bit era. It is definitely worth playing, regardless if it is or not the best in the series. Just suggestion: Be sure to play the PSX version if you can, its available for purchase off of PSN.

FTW, I may as well get it off of PSN for ease of method. Thanks for the tip. :D

member_10569620
30th May 2012, 21:40
I'd actually refer you to the enhanced port on GBA over that rush patch-job that is the PSX version...Unless of course being a downloadable title on PSN somehow fixed things, the PSX ports were sloppy.

Regardless of the version, FFVI was a landmark in the series. Intertwining great story, compelling characters and a well-paced battle system that proved to inspire many of the FFs after it (Limit Breaks under the unofficial name of Desperation Attacks had their start here, though they were little more than fancy uber-critical attacks with neat animations and Magicite were early [better] Materia)...and, of course, then there was Kefka, that crazy mofo everyone loves to hate. Oh, and arguably Nobou Uematsu's greatest, most wide-ranged score for the series. All the pieces just fit together for this one.

Ksquall
30th May 2012, 21:45
Thanks. Someone mentioned the quality of the music in Final Fantasy VI to me before. It's good to see that being endorsed here too.

Nights
30th May 2012, 22:11
I'd actually refer you to the enhanced port on GBA over that rush patch-job that is the PSX version...Unless of course being a downloadable title on PSN somehow fixed things, the PSX ports were sloppy.

The GBA version is hard to find, not to mention the platform has been dead for quite awhile...

The version on PSN is like 9.99 I think? And you get another game with it as well...and it wasn't THAT bad. It is definitely good enough to play the game on.

member_10822883
31st May 2012, 00:17

The GBA version is hard to find, not to mention the platform has been dead for quite awhile...

The version on PSN is like 9.99 I think? And you get another game with it as well...and it wasn't THAT bad. It is definitely good enough to play the game on.

You don't actually get V with it if you buy it off of PSN; they're separate.

If you can't be bothered to track down the GBA port (which is much better), the PSX version should suffice just fine, assuming you don't mind some lag.

espritduo
31st May 2012, 01:20
FFVI is definitely my favorite of the series. The GBA version's the one to find if you want to best experience.....but the tradeoff is the new translation. It's, uh, a "better" translation, sure, but it does not have the whimsy of Woolsey's SNES translation. There were many great lines from the SNES version that simply aren't in the more "accurate" Advance version.

My suggestion? Play the SNES version first. Then play the PSX/PSN version. Then play the GBA version. Play them all. FFVI is so good it deserves to be played three times. :P

Alestes
31st May 2012, 03:17
FF6 is my favorite FF game, that's for sure. Just a shame they never released a really good version of it. The SNES version have the worst translation (but by no means bad), the PS1 version suffer from loading times and the GBA version have the worst music. If I could pick just one of them, I would go for the SNES version (which is available from the Wii Virtual Console).

I was hoping they would release FF6 for DS too, and keep it close to the original, like they did with Chrono Trigger DS, but it never happened :( And if they now release it for 3DS, they probably change it into a 3D game which I find unfortunate.

Jackstin
31st May 2012, 03:29
VI, VII, IX, and X are my favourites. VI is amazing, but I think IX and VII have a bit more depth personally. Buts its so hard to say for sure.

member_10822883
31st May 2012, 05:10
FFVI is definitely my favorite of the series. The GBA version's the one to find if you want to best experience.....but the tradeoff is the new translation. It's, uh, a "better" translation, sure, but it does not have the whimsy of Woolsey's SNES translation. There were many great lines from the SNES version that simply aren't in the more "accurate" Advance version.

Like? Most of Woolsey's notable lines were kept in some fashion. I think you'd be hardpressed to find too many people that agree on the new translation being a tradeoff. That was the best feature of VI Advance, if you ask me.

Jackstin
31st May 2012, 05:33
VI Advance had no Bum Rush

espritduo
31st May 2012, 08:05
Or sons of submariners. C'mon man, getting rid of that line is like taking spoony bard out of FFIV. You just don't mess with classic lines.

And the problem I have with the translation in general is that it feels lifeless and droll compared to Woolsey's version. It's more accurate, sure, but it just doesn't have nearly as much feeling in it.

Summoner
31st May 2012, 13:49
I remember playing my first Final Fantasy title, FFVI at a friends house on the Super Nintendo. I really enjoyed it, and I remember getting stuck at the part where you play as the fighter (forgot his name) but you're fighting against your master/trainer and never being able to use the combo move to beat him.

PAT2K9
31st May 2012, 13:59
Final Fantasy VI is my favorite Final Fantasy of all times.

Pikachu
31st May 2012, 14:04
the GBA version have the worst music

To be fair, I sincerely doubt that someone would notice the decrease in music quality if they had never played the SNES and Playstation version of six. I played six on the GBA and I certainly didn't notice anything. I believe that the same could be said for the original translation: if you didn't originally play it then you probably won't miss anything that some of the older players would.

As for whether or not I believe it, I'm certainly biased in favor of it and I certainly enjoyed it more than other Final Fantasy games I've played. If anything, it shouldn't take you that long to finish it so it's something that you should play just for the expirience of it.

kupo1705
31st May 2012, 14:55
It's definitely one of my favourites.

Summoner
31st May 2012, 14:59
I really liked the Opera scene. I also liked the train and waterfall battles.

31st May 2012, 16:32
FF6 is my favorite FF game, that's for sure. Just a shame they never released a really good version of it. The SNES version have the worst translation (but by no means bad), the PS1 version suffer from loading times and the GBA version have the worst music. If I could pick just one of them, I would go for the SNES version (which is available from the Wii Virtual Console).

I was hoping they would release FF6 for DS too, and keep it close to the original, like they did with Chrono Trigger DS, but it never happened :( And if they now release it for 3DS, they probably change it into a 3D game which I find unfortunate.

screw a DS remake FF VI is the one final fantasy that deserves a next gen remake... imagine the opera scene or th floating cont into the world of ruin now that stuff right there would be EPIC

member_10803141
31st May 2012, 16:38
VI is by far the best in the series IMO.

And anytime a VII fanboy tries to step up and say otherwise, a puppy dies. XD

member_10690369
31st May 2012, 19:31
VI six is my all time favorite. Great story, great characters, and the greatest villain in Final Fantasy history. Also it's the right amount of content, making it the most re-playable of all the games. All the games after I enjoy too, especially IX and XII, but they're so long that I have to be in the right mood to play through them again.

member_10822883
31st May 2012, 21:47
Or sons of submariners. C'mon man, getting rid of that line is like taking spoony bard out of FFIV. You just don't mess with classic lines.

And the problem I have with the translation in general is that it feels lifeless and droll compared to Woolsey's version. It's more accurate, sure, but it just doesn't have nearly as much feeling in it.

I never really got the hype with that quote. Plus, what they went with in VI GBA was totally to screw with people that kept fretting over them changing it. I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I don't feel the GBA script is lifeless at all. I thought it was really refreshingly enjoyable.

member_10526381
1st Jun 2012, 15:08
Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game in the series. It got lots of memorable moments and characters and great gameplay (Its like Square put a lot of stuff in this game). While this is the second FF game I played (first one is FF8), this is the first FF game I finished.

member_10108862
1st Jun 2012, 18:58
I loved FFVI, and it is still one of my favourite games of all time. The opera scene is one of my all-time favourite moments. The opera scene is where they really changed the translation when they "updated" the game. The changes make sense, and fit the music a bit better, but I still have fuzzy feelings over the older version.

member_10213430
10th Jun 2012, 21:07
By far FFVI is the best. Amazing story, gameplay, music, and characters. This is a must have/play of the final fantasy series and for people that enjoy 7, you will def enjoy 6.

FFL
10th Jun 2012, 21:34
I felt that Final Fantasy VII was the game best put together. I thoroughly enjoy playing that game all of the time. The characters, story and gameplay all went together so well and made for such great memories.

Summoner
11th Jun 2012, 09:45
All of the Final Fantasies took alot of time to put together you can say it's your opinion but every Final Fantasy has something thats different from the others that is unique, of course there is something that clicked for you and you really liked it. Just make sure you don't have your Judgement Bolt clouded by trying to expect the same experience with a different title, if you do that you'll miss out on good games.

Draggy
15th Jun 2012, 15:54
Not only my favorite in the series, but tied for my favorite game of all time (with LoZ: aLttP and Phantasy Star 4).

member_10523116
16th Jun 2012, 07:47
It's my favorite game of all time. So... yes.

As for versions, any of them is worth playing. So whatever is easiest for you. I think there isn't a definitive answer on which is the best. The SNES version has some rough translation, and it's lacking in the additional content added later. GBA version has the worst sound, and they didn't put as much effort into making it as they did the other games on GBA. Which is also why it's rare, since they also didn't produce as many copies. PSone version has the loading "issue" (not an issue for me, but meh).

No one version has it all, without sacrifices. So just go with whatever you get your hands on. The game is amazing on everything imo.

member_10822883
16th Jun 2012, 18:35
I don't know if I'd say they put less effort into making the GBA version. It just got made at the very end of the console's lifetime and naturally was a smaller production because of that, hence why the US release got so little promotion or material. I'd say it was definitely better put together though than I&II or IV.

FantasyCross
16th Jun 2012, 18:46
Final Fantasy VI is amazing but I forgot about the story never played it for yrs. I gotta play it again cause I lost the feeling.

member_10124764
16th Jun 2012, 21:21
Final Fantasy VI is amazing but I forgot about the story never played it for yrs. I gotta play it again cause I lost the feeling.

Ya know to me FF6 is the best, but there were some downfalls. The game itself with its rich story, (hehe) Romance, battle system (which i think is the best), and glitches, yes glitches, were the truth and rich part of a final fantasy game. 6 brought all the elements from the previous games into one amazing game. The music was masterfull but what i hate the most is that people dont appreciate it as much as they should. Do any of you agree?

member_10523116
17th Jun 2012, 08:09
I don't know if I'd say they put less effort into making the GBA version. It just got made at the very end of the console's lifetime and naturally was a smaller production because of that, hence why the US release got so little promotion or material. I'd say it was definitely better put together though than I&II or IV.

FFVI is better by default than those games. So... :P

onigiri619
25th Jun 2012, 05:08
For all of your gamers who have been accustomed to the Final Fantasy series over the years, do you think that Final Fantasy VI is the best in the series. I've always heard it spoken highly of. I never completed the game personally, but I was thinking of playing it all the way through finally. I've also heard some people say that it is the best Final Fantasy game. Do you believe this?

I just bought it over the PSN and I have to say, for an old game like that, it felt surprisingly fresh to me. I've only begun to play it but I can alreadly say that I love how different it really feels from other games from VII onwards. The ability to choose how you order which scenario plays out first, the clever ways they get the plot rolling like when you have to "steal" some extra clothing (LOL'ED at that part), and the story itself feels well balanced. I've definately put onto my top FF I've played.

new_tradition
26th Jun 2012, 17:41
My problem with the Final Fantasy series is that I have a hard time naming one, all-time favourite. I can't choose just one D:

That said, FFVI is one of my all-time fave games, EVER. There's nothing I disliked about it, which sounds unbelievable, but it's true for me.

keen77
29th Jun 2012, 01:21
Yes

member_10024520
6th Jul 2012, 06:41
This is why I consider it the best in the series and many may have mentioned it in prior posts....

1) Story - The story here set the tone imo for all FF games to follow (cept the Online games... those are in their own league). Also it had the most, from what i can tell, storylines in a FF game. Each charater just about had a storyline into itself even tho they all led up to the same point. Also depending on choices at a few points in the game the end credits would be diffrent aswell.

2) Music - The score in the game was the most graceful and emotional in the series.. It was the only game to have a opera score I acctualy like and I hate operas. I play the soundtrack for FFVI all the time.... infact i have a MP3 Player deticated to just that games soundtrack.

3) Battle system - I loved the addition to "code-like" combos of Saben's Blitz moves and the combat styles for Mog and Gau. Terra's Morph ability is what i belive to give the idea for the Trance/Blitz abilitys to the generations that followed.

4) Graphics - As the last of the 16-Bit graphic games in the series (as of its creation in the FF series.. nothing past then is included) the games grapcis made the world even more fun when you took off in the airship and flew around. Along w/ the spells, flashbacks, and the espers themselves casting their signiture moves.

5) Gameplay - Its basicly what i mentioned in the battle system but I loved all the aspecs of what they did. There could have been some improvement on the Overworld/Battle transitions (some of them gave me a headache after a few times.. yes i was playing in a lit room and no im not sensitive to flashing from screens).

6) Overall - It was the last of a good series before the GCI (i say GCI instead of 3D cuz of current tech and i bet very few here would know the diffrence) versions of the games. I know everyone went all crazy when FF7 came out but thats becasue it wasnt sprite based and it had a charater that was all emo but could kick your butt from here to next year.

This is just my opinion on the game and i would love to see a remake of it on just about all platforms. If there was a direct port.. the SNES version mainly for the dialog. Edgar and Lock trippin out when Terra cast magic for the first time and Kefka's lines in a few parts of the game made me laugh.

keweld00d
6th Jul 2012, 08:14
yup

date simulator with Aeris rawx!

member_10229037
8th Jul 2012, 00:01
Final Fantasy VI is easily one of my all time favorite games, the cast of characters and story are just so wonderful.

member_10078668
13th Jul 2012, 04:52
I've had a lot of people recommend FFVI to me. Never got to try the original SNES version since it was called Final Fantasy III and I had to do a lot of research to find that FF3 and FF6 were not the same games. Got the Anthology set for PSN and so far it's been great. (And this is coming from a FF7 fan.) I think I'm about halfway done.

member_10084729
17th Jul 2012, 05:01
I personally prefer VI over the others. And would actually like that game to get a compilation project. That world is fascinating, before the game takes place as well as what the world could be after. So many things can be done.

member_10024520
17th Jul 2012, 06:38
I've had a lot of people recommend FFVI to me. Never got to try the original SNES version since it was called Final Fantasy III and I had to do a lot of research to find that FF3 and FF6 were not the same games. Got the Anthology set for PSN and so far it's been great. (And this is coming from a FF7 fan.) I think I'm about halfway done.

The only major diffrences that i have seen between the SNES (FFIII) and the PSX (FFVI) versions other then the name (since the US screwed the numer order up) and the additional feautres on the PSX version is the Battle Start/End animations, translation of the game, and the CGI movie cutsceans in some parts of the game. Otherwise w/ mabey (and thats a BIG mabey) a few item diffrences the games were identical in everything else. I havent played the PSX version in a long time so there might be 1 or 2 features from it i missed but it was probly minor.

I was currious and did a side by side comparison (literally w/ 2 TVs next to eachother and played both at the same time) back in the mid to late 90's of the two. I didnt go by what i read online first only cuz the info was (at the time) spotty at best between the versions and i was lazy to go further into it then. :)

I personally prefer VI over the others. And would actually like that game to get a compilation project. That world is fascinating, before the game takes place as well as what the world could be after. So many things can be done.

Thats a cool idea. They could improve the backstories of all the other charaters they didnt go into detail if they wanted. It's not required since playing the game gives quite abit. Mabey a prequill that tells the story a few years prior to the events in FFVI..

I would love to acctualy take part in the War of Magi instead of the flashbacks and the Ruin visits via the castle. Kinda go futher into detail on the whole war that shaped the events leading up to FFVI. I mean the only direct link between the two events. I'd love to play as mabey a Esper.. or even a Human that becomes a Magic user similer to Strago since he did mention his power comes from that era just watered down.

seufi
17th Jul 2012, 21:24

This world truly deserves a better work by SE to reward fans. A whole improved new game, new dungeons, features, chars would be very neat!

Pikachu
20th Jul 2012, 10:41

The story is more or less complete for VI. Adding anything else would seem to be a little much. I wouldn't want it to feel like VII's compilation which put a stain on a great game. Maybe they could use an alternate ending where Terra dies and do something with that. /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-money-mouth.gif

member_10084729
20th Jul 2012, 23:19
Complete isn't the word I would use. They can go into character relationship details. Ala Shadow and relm. Also More for Shadow's past, Gogo's, well, anything. Umaro and the Moogles. Etc, etc. I feel there can be a FFIV 'character specific story' set up that would add to the world of VI. It is fleshed out a bit but enough to not really question much that is going on. Adding more would only make that better.

And with the alternate ending, why not? If she is part of the group that kills Kefka, then she lives. If not, she dies. But the whole 'War of the Magi' prelude as well as the Statues absence (or purification) to reset the world is very open for anything.

ff_nexus
31st Dec 2012, 03:03
Final Fantasy VI is my all time favorite. Just downloaded FFVII; I've never played the full content.. .

If I could have I would have downloaded FFVI http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-laughing.gif

radesk
22nd Feb 2013, 06:35
A lil' fenix down here. Yes, FFVI is the best of FF series, it was a game that you had everything, fun scenes, epic battles, random bosses, you could even play with your friend! Many hidden weapons, bosses, esper and even characters! Yes, this game no only should deserve another remake but some anime/movie with A+ quality!

Seph is a lil b*** if you put him side by side with Kefka, Cloud? C'mon, you have Sabin, Edgar, Shadow, Cyan and Locke!

And one of most beautifull things, THERE WAS NO MR. CENTER OF THE BLOODY UNIVERSE!

You were mad with the "main" char? You just go to : gtfo of my party and this cold mf. will be the main.

member_10146811
8th Mar 2013, 18:54
I believe that Final Fantasy VI is the best of the series. It's my favorite story-line and it is my first RPG that sucked me into the series. Final Fantasy VI was also rated the NUMBER ONE game of all time on IGN's TOP 100 games! Here's the link: http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs/1 ... I would love to see more FF VI love from SE. It is my all-time favorite game and my dream is to see it remade with modern graphics so we all can enjoy it again at a whole new level.

bigtakilla
8th Mar 2013, 19:37
I would definitely say VI is the greatest Final Fantasy ever. Terra is BY FAR the greatest female main protagonist of all time. The half human half esper story was amazing and sad. Magitech armor was awesome during the times you were able to ride in them. There is plenty of equipment and ways to learn magic to really make each character feel different. It has a ton of summons that can be equiped to any character. There were plenty of characters you could recruit, some of which were extremely strong, and very unique. The antagonist is one of the absolute greatest and most insane. If you can't tell I loved it!!!

member_10146811
8th Mar 2013, 19:58
Oh yea, and as a side note... SQUARE ENIX should not be saving these games to be remade for the future if they need something to pull the company out of water. They need to develop and release them before too many years go by. FF VI came out in '94 I believe, so I was 10?!? Wow. I know I'll always love video games but I'm noticing that I am being more picky the older I get because my time is a lot more valuable now. My boys I now have will surely be video game nerds like their parents but I highly doubt they'll be interested in a remake of a 20-or-so year old game just because their mom played it when she was a kid. They won't be able to make money off of these as remakes if they wait too long. They should do it now and make their fortune!!! I would totally buy whatever special limited edition whatever if VI or VII were remade for today's technology. Why not get SE that success and not break our hearts? lol

moooka
8th Mar 2013, 23:12
It's a top-tier FF. Although not my fav one, I always recommend it for people who are new to the series, because I think it has the best representation of the series.

member_10012998
9th Mar 2013, 00:43
I would agree with those people who think Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy. It has a great cast of characters, great villian, awesome music and I love the gameplay and how the esper and magic system was set up. Also, doing suplexs with Sabin is freaking cool.

TonyStarkk
16th Mar 2013, 13:53
I would agree with those people who think Final Fantasy VI is the best Final Fantasy. It has a great cast of characters, great villian, awesome music and I love the gameplay and how the esper and magic system was set up. Also, doing suplexs with Sabin is freaking cool.

FFVI is undoubtedly the bes best final fantasy story. It was amazing! You played in a world FOREVER then the world radically changed!! That was amazing. They could have ended it with kefka at the statues on the floating continent. But no it didn't stop there it was awesome Six and Seven are the best hands down. They both need to be remade or the story continued somehow. I would just be happy with remakes honestly!

Crystal_Power
22nd Mar 2013, 15:06
As much as I love Final Fantasy VI. No, it's all in a matter of opinion. There really is no such thing as "best Final Fantasy". Everyone has his/her opinion on what the best is. But if we're going by sales figues and most postive reaction from fanbase then it would be VII.

alanman178
22nd Mar 2013, 19:53
For the company, the best of the series would probably be FF1 for it saving their butts, and FF7 for its world-wide success. My personal favorite is FF7 followed by FF6. But, FF6 'is' a great game, and I'd never argue against it being 'one' of the best in the series.

Grimoire
26th Jun 2013, 05:18
Final Fantasy VI And Secret Of Mana Enchant Wii U In Japan
www.siliconera.com/2013/06/26/final-fant... (http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/26/final-fantasy-vi-and-secret-of-mana-enchant-wii-u-in-japan/)

OdjinTyr
22nd Aug 2013, 17:53
DO NOT buy the GBA version -_- they Kiddied it up, and Ruined Celes as a Character. Celes had a Tragic story throughout that game they altered her suicide Scene, Removed the Chains in her Holding scene, and the Guards don't beat her up like their supposed too. along with other Scenecered changes too numerous to add.

FF6 is my Super nintendo era Baby -_0.. Right beside Super Mario RPG ^^ Thanks Square for amazing memories.

OdjinTyr
22nd Aug 2013, 17:59
And when you Consider that Secret of Mana is the Sequal to Sword of Hope, which is I believe the PRequel and or sequel to Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, you can then turn around and say the Best Final Fantasy Game is Seiken Densetsu 3 which was Never released in North America because the Game was So epic translating it over and remaking it would be just too hard for them with the Era of the Playstation fast approaching. (And if their Going to Remake ff6 I really really hope they Spice it up like they did with FF4 3d for the Ds. I loved FF6 but I've literally played it so many times over and over when it was New that I can picture every cornor/treasure chest in that Game! (along with the BOf Series go go Capcom) so unless they COmpletely redesign the look I can't see myself picking it up despite loving it just because there would be Nothing in the game for me if I can literally replay it in my head at a moments notice as often as I do.

member_10450193
19th Jan 2014, 16:01
Troll bait.

PhantomStepArcadi
30th Jan 2014, 20:13
FF VI is my personal favorite of the bunch. I love most of the Final Fantasy games for different reasons, but FF VI to me was the most complete game.

By complete, I mean the balance of gameplay, plot scenes, diversity and actual usage of characters, etc. FF VI's soundtrack, pound for pound has more tracks that I actually listen to over and over than the rest of the series. The pacing of the fights are quick, efficient, and fun. It is the one game out of all the Final Fantasy games that I've replayed the most, and I've played all of them over ranging from twice-to-losing-count.

I may not say that it should be everyone's number #1 if-you-were-trapped-on-a-desert-island Final Fantasy game, but I would at least state that it should make any Final Fantasy fan's top 3.

zodiacal_666
20th Feb 2014, 08:35
No - FFIII i like the theme song. ^,-,^