PDA

View Full Version : Nosgoth articles and reviews by fans

lucinvampire
25th Sep 2013, 21:47
This maybe of interest...

Here are some links to articles, blogs and reviews by some of the fans who attended Square Enix and played Nosgoth:

http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Baziel/Nosgoth:_First_Looks

http://theancientsden.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/london-square-enix-nosgoth-community.html

http://lucinvampireslair.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/game-nosgoth-pc-pre-release-review.html

EDIT: Link to Blinc's article...
http://www.thelostworlds.net/Nosgoth/Nosgoth_Community_Day.html

EDIT 2: Link to Divine Shadow's article...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86934880&postcount=1

EDIT 3:

Baziel’s part two write up:
http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Baziel/Nosgoth:_Second_Bite

RainaAudron
25th Sep 2013, 22:12
Thanks Lucin, hopefully more emerge soon :)

The_Hylden
25th Sep 2013, 22:19
Hm, interesting that they're retconing Raziel being in the Abyss closer to a millennium than the 500 years we've come to know.

I'll have to edit posts :p

MasterShuriko
26th Sep 2013, 00:34
The game from Raziels perspective says 500 yeas. But I dont remember anyone Correcting him. Only the old god asks him if he thought time stood still while Raziel was sleepin^^

Abolist
26th Sep 2013, 00:42
That old god was kinda manipulative :p I guess as the game devs they can make it whatever they want though.

Bazielim
26th Sep 2013, 00:46
Yeah that was something George did want made clear.
The 500 year figure was a roundabout thing from an old Blood Omen 2 Q&A (http://uk.gamespot.com/blood-omen-2/previews/blood-omen-2-qanda-2829756/) and they were essentially saying that the "millenium or a moment" line from the cut alternate introduction to Nosgoth in SR1 (http://www.thelostworlds.net/SR1/An_Alternate_Introduction.html) trumps the roundabout reference from an unrelated interview.
That's not to say that it is exactly 1000 years, just closer to that than 500.

VipericVampire
26th Sep 2013, 00:56
Interesting read!

MasterShuriko
26th Sep 2013, 01:18
I LOVE THE STORY OF THE SERIES! I R DEMAND A MOVIE AND A NEW GAME !:worship:

Cegard
26th Sep 2013, 01:30
Spolier alert!!! (about the old game series)

You know guys i was reading the lore part, and well ok Kain isn't in Nosgoth, and that's ok... but they say that his Lieutenants are... wasn't suppose that Raziel killed them? :/

The_Hylden
26th Sep 2013, 01:32
The game is taking place after Raziel is abyssed. Centuries are still left before he wakes up and returns to kill all of his brethren.

The game from Raziels perspective says 500 yeas. But I dont remember anyone Correcting him. Only the old god asks him if he thought time stood still while Raziel was sleepin^^

Raziel doesn't mention how much time it was. I am not sure where you get his perspective on this, unless you're combining it with when he was trapped in Defiance. Totally different time period there.

MasterShuriko
26th Sep 2013, 01:54
The game is taking place after Raziel is abyssed. Centuries are still left before he wakes up and returns to kill all of his brethren.

Raziel doesn't mention how much time it was. I am not sure where you get his perspective on this, unless you're combining it with when he was trapped in Defiance. Totally different time period there.

The game does mention "Centuries" right at the beginning of the game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpWP9e-iQj8
jump to 2:50 and listen til 3:00.
Might have been this that caused me to think 500 years.
Especially since I read it takes place 1500 years after Blood omen 2.
And at the beginning of the game Raziel tells us that he have served Kain a milennia (1000 years) and then gets thrown into the abyss. And then "Centuries" after when he awakened tells me ok then thats must have been the 500 years extra since the wiki states 1500 years after Blood omen 2.
There I explained my train of thought =)

88chaz88
26th Sep 2013, 09:27
Hm, interesting that they're retconing Raziel being in the Abyss closer to a millennium than the 500 years we've come to know.

I'll have to edit posts :p

I certainly did wonder where you got the 500 years figure from. We've never had a hard figure but perhaps the community settled on around 500 or so. I would have personally thought it was closer to a thousand though. When Raziel awoke it was literally the end of the world, even the vampires were struggling for survival, you got the feeling that some were roaming that same corridor for centuries. The world was falling apart with cataclysms.

I think this would have taken more than just 500 years myself.

lucinvampire
26th Sep 2013, 12:15
@ Raina – you’re welcome :D …hopefully the articles will help a few people. I will add more to this thread as people make stuff available online.

@ Baz - Interesting about how long as passed - will you be creating a time line to include this new informaion over on the Wiki? time to re-organise the brain to account for new information!

(I have the inability to be able to quote on my posts at the moment)

Dagren
26th Sep 2013, 12:57
I really like your preview write-ups! Seems like fun to hang out with the cream of the LoK community ;)

Lord_Aevum
26th Sep 2013, 14:14
I certainly did wonder where you got the 500 years figure from. We've never had a hard figure

Blood Omen 2 official Q&A (http://www.gamespot.com/blood-omen-2/previews/blood-omen-2-qanda-2829756/) with Crystal Dynamics producer Sam Newman, December 2001:

The nobleman Kain is slain by a band of brigands. He is resurrected by the necromancer Mortanius. The events of LOK: Blood Omen take place 200 years later. Kain's conquesting vampire army is stopped in its tracks by the Sarafan army. Kain himself is bested in single combat by the Sarafan lord. The Reaver is taken, Kain left for dead. Kain spends the next 200 hundred years in a hibernation-like state, recovering from his near-fatal wounds. He awakens in the city of Meridian to find the world has changed around him. The Sarafan rule, and glyph magic is everywhere. Still some 1600 years before Raziel emerges from the void to begin LOK:SR, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 begins.

88chaz88
26th Sep 2013, 14:42
Blood Omen 2 official Q&A (http://www.gamespot.com/blood-omen-2/previews/blood-omen-2-qanda-2829756/) with Crystal Dynamics producer Sam Newman, December 2001:

Haha, I'd take that with a grain of salt. For one, BO2 exists in an entirely different timeline from SR. Secondly it's BO2, that game had so many plot holes in it everything needed to explained away with the alternate timeline cop-out.

Perhaps if I saw this before I'd have jumped on it like everything else, but right now I'm going to fool myself into thinking I'm smarter than that and would like to see some tangible evidence within the game before I accept it.

Vampmaster
26th Sep 2013, 14:49
Haha, I'd take that with a grain of salt. For one, BO2 exists in an entirely different timeline from SR. Secondly it's BO2, that game had so many plot holes in it everything needed to explained away with the alternate timeline cop-out.

I remember the FAQs saying the events from BO2 had little to no impact on SR1. Everything after Raziel was made a vampire is pretty much the same in both timelines.

MrMilky
26th Sep 2013, 14:50
Or what fits their resource disposal.

Lord_Aevum
26th Sep 2013, 15:22

Sorry, you can dismiss it if you want, but it's the official word, so I'll have to leave your personal opinion with you and we'll need to agree to disagree there. I don't like BO2 any more than you do, but I can tell you for a fact that Amy Hennig went to pains to inform its team on the timeline and chronology of the LoK series.

88chaz88
26th Sep 2013, 15:34
Sorry, you can dismiss it if you want, but it's the official word, so I'll have to leave your personal opinion with you and we'll need to agree to disagree there. I don't like BO2 any more than you do, but I can tell you for a fact that Amy Hennig went to pains to inform its team on the timeline and chronology of the LoK series.

Nope. Still dismissing it because it makes me right in the end.

Anyway, it's not the first retcon that LoK has gotten and thankfully it doesn't really change much either way.

RainaAudron
26th Sep 2013, 16:00
They based it on the "A millenium? Or a moment... We who stand outside the rim of time dwell not in past or future ages... There is only the now."

The_Reaver
26th Sep 2013, 16:02
White Envy (Good Envy) of you who were blessed in visiting Square-Enix and could play it.

Nice reading !!! Thank you so much for this post :)

LauraOrganaSolo
28th Sep 2013, 19:38
I don't know if I never read that Q&A or just blocked it from my mind but I've always thought it took Raziel AT LEAST 700-1,000 years to return from the Abyss. It would have to take more than 500 years for a bustling civilization with 18th or maybe 19th century technology to degrade into the desolate, low populated wasteland we see in Soul Reaver 1.

Bazielim
28th Sep 2013, 21:10
@ Baz - Interesting about how long as passed - will you be creating a time line to include this new informaion over on the Wiki? time to re-organise the brain to account for new information!

Sorry for delay Lucin, I'm still getting used to this forum. Yeah I've already made some attempts at adjusting the figures in the Chronology section of our Timelines article (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Timelines#Chronology_of_the_series) (with an annotation noting why). I'm gonna start working out where to properly place Nosgoth events etc shortly.

lucinvampire
29th Sep 2013, 12:22
Sorry for delay Lucin, I'm still getting used to this forum. Yeah I've already made some attempts at adjusting the figures in the Chronology section of our Timelines article (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/Timelines#Chronology_of_the_series) (with an annotation noting why). I'm gonna start working out where to properly place Nosgoth events etc shortly.

Dude I know what you mean...and its too hard to keep up with everything that's happening!
Cool - thought you'd be all over it *wanders over to check it out* :D

(wow this computer allows me to actually quote....uuuummmm quoting - and there was much rejoicing)

Swagraven
29th Sep 2013, 12:50
I've been referring people to these left and right. They seem to be helping quell some of the rage. So thanks!

RainaAudron
29th Sep 2013, 14:21
Good to hear Swagraven! :) Others who attended will post their articles too I think.

Moesph
29th Sep 2013, 14:43
Can't say writing articles is my strong point, however I have linked to the ones that are up. :D

Vampmaster
30th Sep 2013, 10:23
Ben's article:

http://www.thelostworlds.net/Nosgoth/Nosgoth_Community_Day.html

lucinvampire
30th Sep 2013, 11:07
Thank you for posting this Vampmaster :D you're a star! Blinc - has done a great job comparing SR and Nosgoth...I couldn't believe some of the things included when I looked at it...another star for the dev team! :D

Vampmaster
30th Sep 2013, 11:14
It might be a good idea to add the link in the initial post as well, so it's easy to find.

lucinvampire
30th Sep 2013, 18:56
It might be a good idea to add the link in the initial post as well, so it's easy to find.

Good plan Vampmaster :D – I’ve updated the list...and sorry for the delay in doing so - the PC I've been at all day has issues and gets the spinning wheel of death if I try to edit a post!

ZeroFernir
3rd Oct 2013, 02:24
I don't know, but I doubt there is any alpha players yet... I think even closed alpha hadn't started yet, or they (Nosgoth developers) would post anything in their blog. All the articles of the blogs posted here are to vague and have no how to confirm the alpha/beta testing.

soulrelic616
3rd Oct 2013, 06:03
I don't know if I never read that Q&A or just blocked it from my mind but I've always thought it took Raziel AT LEAST 700-1,000 years to return from the Abyss. It would have to take more than 500 years for a bustling civilization with 18th or maybe 19th century technology to degrade into the desolate, low populated wasteland we see in Soul Reaver 1.

Not quite, human technology pretty much stayed the same, if you remember well most of the human artifacts in BO2 worked thanks to Glyph magic, so with that gone all those artifacts were gone... But they also used hydraulic machines, which we can still see in SR... They even progressed enough in the Citadel to find other energy sources, suh as electricity. Hard to believe I know but humans in SR had lightbulbs :)

As for Kain's Empire... I don think their society relied too much in technology, but magic... But thats just my opinion.

lucinvampire
27th Oct 2013, 22:53
Divine shadow aka Mama Robotnik has now posted his review of Nosgoth/LoK Community Day over at the NeoGaf forums:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86934880&postcount=1

...sorry for the delay in updating this thread. :D

Vampmaster
28th Oct 2013, 10:20
I see these reviews as cautiously tepid..as they should be.

It was a Masterstroke of Squenix P.R. to gather the Old and Faithful of the LoK Community together for their propaganda pizza party. For the price of an average business meeting, Squenix , in one fell swoop, glad-handed almost the entirety of independent fansites. Knowing in advance how "well" Nosgoth was going to be received (comments disabled, anyone?), they took the leaders of the community, and brought them all together for some "face time", ( can't blame 'em), knowing full well that if they could sway the Generals, the rank-and-file could be better handled.

There was nothing in the NDA to say we couldn't say anything negative about Nosgoth once the embargo was lifted (we could say nothing at all before and both good and bad afterward) and none of us were offered any payment to that end either.

Pretty much all of us had complaints, but just because we've tried to be civil about it, doesn't mean anyone's lied or withheld information. It's not like any of us thought Nosgoth was worse than they said in the articles and have been afraid to say. An honest opinion doesn't need to come along with baseless accusations and attacks on peoples character.

lucinvampire
28th Oct 2013, 20:31
I understand where you're coming from but truthfully if the game was complete rubbish we would have said so and would have published this online - they took a risk - a toss of the coin...it could have landed on either edge ;)

I think the whole idea that the game is another branch of the franchise is the way to look at it, it's not Kain's Legacy because it has no Kain but it has been based on the series and the characters/citizens of Nosgoth. It's not the next instalment in the Legacy of Kain series its something else.

Yes it was the experience and the whole day that made it great too but the game and what we played was good and fun - yes there are things which "we" have suggested to be changed in the game, yes there are things we aren't happy with and do not meet some of what was expected - but it is an enjoyable game! :D

...either that or they put nanobots in the subway and brainwashed us - oh wait I only ate two packets of crisps all day and they were sealed :lol:

Vampmaster
28th Oct 2013, 22:35
And where, exactly, is this "baseless accusation and attacks on peoples character"?

That wasn't a reference to you. I was just trying to say that the only people who have been prevented from giving their opinions were those who were including that sort of of thing along with their opinions.

The_Hylden
28th Oct 2013, 23:04
I see these reviews as cautiously tepid..as they should be.

It was a Masterstroke of Squenix P.R. to gather the Old and Faithful of the LoK Community together for their propaganda pizza party. For the price of an average business meeting, Squenix , in one fell swoop, glad-handed almost the entirety of independent fansites. Knowing in advance how "well" Nosgoth was going to be received (comments disabled, anyone?), they took the leaders of the community, and brought them all together for some "face time", ( can't blame 'em), knowing full well that if they could sway the Generals, the rank-and-file could be better handled.

The price of a regular business meeting? Flying people from all over the world, hotels, that's a bit more than the usual Square business meeting.... This was an unprecedented move on their part at their expense. Yet, in no way, shape, or form was this a propaganda scheme. They didn't buy us lavish gifts (the Kain figures were nice, won only by those who did the best in the game, which only makes sense...), send us on cruises, or wine and dine us for any opinions. They did exactly what they proposed: they showed us the game and let us play it.

What we all took away from that is wasn't clouded by the invite. Many of us have been here criticizing the game for the same things others who haven't played it are, if you had bothered to read the threads here and simply not come here to boast your witty (no, it really isn't) drama using game lines anyone and their brother here knows by heart by now. Your baseless assumptions and accusations are ridiculous, and smell of simple trolling, as others who've stated similarly once these boards first opened spewed. It's tired, and pitiful, to come into these boards and, because the reviews of some who attended that have been posted don't meet with your own thoughts on this game, accuse us all of being part of an evil corporate scheme to pilfer the masses of their money...

As noted in the Terms of Use (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/announcement.php?f=97&a=1), such accusatory garbage (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/announcement.php?a=1#rule5) and baseless slamming of the company (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/announcement.php?a=1#rule10) will not be tolerated. You can take that as my draconian, paid-for mouthpiece of the corporate snake, if you wish, but the warning still stands. My advice is to suck it up. You don't like the game, post about what you don't like thus far in a civil manner. Don't accuse members, or Square, of such demeaning and slanderous things, or yes you will find your membership revoked.

Lord_Aevum
28th Oct 2013, 23:45
Just wanted to make a note that I'm officially going to be hijacking this "Circle of Pizza" spoof from the disgruntled tirade here. The potential animated gifs, photoshoppings and texture edits in mind are waaay too tempting for a sad wretch like me to resist.

Driber
29th Oct 2013, 00:40
Dear Mr. Dusk,

If you think my colleague was being draconian, you should see me. You're lucky it wasn't I who caught that series of highly disrespectful, mocking, accusational, and condescending texts of you.

Taking on the devs is one thing, but being mean to the fans and trying to make them feel stupid is just downright evil in my book.

If I see you posting something like that again you'll be out of here. And I do mean do not pass go and go directly to jail, if you catch my drift ;)

Paradoks_db
31st Oct 2013, 12:33
Just wanted to make a note that I'm officially going to be hijacking this "Circle of Pizza" spoof from the disgruntled tirade here. The potential animated gifs, photoshoppings and texture edits in mind are waaay too tempting for a sad wretch like me to resist.
The Pillar of Anchois, guarded by the Chronicler Aevum ;).
Too bad there were 16 of you.

Edit: Technically you are the 17th Guardian :D.

OniOnna
31st Oct 2013, 18:51
Dear Mr. Dusk,

If you think my colleague was being draconian, you should see me. You're lucky it wasn't I who caught that series of highly disrespectful, mocking, accusational, and condescending texts of you.

Taking on the devs is one thing, but being mean to the fans and trying to make them feel stupid is just downright evil in my book.

If I see you posting something like that again you'll be out of here. And I do mean do not pass go and go directly to jail, if you catch my drift ;)

Here Here! This is a place for optimism! Let those that are excited about the game be that way. It's just a game, after all. Enjoy it or forget it ever existed.

I for one an excited about the game. Its a chance to go back into that beautiful world of Nosgoth and I'm glad that others are just as happy as I am. :)

Driber
31st Oct 2013, 19:07
Thanks for the support, OniOnna (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/member.php?u=27669) :)

I'd just like to add that we don't demand people being positive in order to post on these forums, though. Negative posts are just as welcome. The key is just how one expresses their negative feelings.

TenebraeAeterna
31st Oct 2013, 21:10
Thanks for the support, OniOnna (http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/member.php?u=27669) :)

I'd just like to add that we don't demand people being positive in order to post on these forums, though. Negative posts are just as welcome. The key is just how one expresses their negative feelings.

I've noticed that many who don't have the mental maturity to present constructive criticism often find themselves instantly angered when their obscenities and belittlement towards the opinions of others aren't tolerated. I've been messaging someone on youtube who presented his negative opinion about the game, and his response included spite towards the deletion of negative comments towards the game.

...............I've seen enough around these forums to know that's not true, it's all about how you word the negativity. It would be downright silly for you guys to kill open debate about the game and enshroud negativity because, ultimately, the desire for this game to succeed relies on people presenting their thoughts and the game being augmented accordingly to best suit what the community desires from this very unorthodox path for the franchise.

People really need to grow up, I know we're all gamers...but seriously...

IKathaarI
1st Nov 2013, 00:21
I've noticed that many who don't have the mental maturity to present constructive criticism often find themselves instantly angered when their obscenities and belittlement towards the opinions of others aren't tolerated. I've been messaging someone on youtube who presented his negative opinion about the game, and his response included spite towards the deletion of negative comments towards the game.

...............I've seen enough around these forums to know that's not true, it's all about how you word the negativity. It would be downright silly for you guys to kill open debate about the game and enshroud negativity because, ultimately, the desire for this game to succeed relies on people presenting their thoughts and the game being augmented accordingly to best suit what the community desires from this very unorthodox path for the franchise.

People really need to grow up, I know we're all gamers...but seriously...

Which I find odd seeing as you need a real grip on mental maturity to fully understand LoK, I've played every single LoK game (except BO1, sorry I just can't seem to beat it o.0) multiple times and I will say it still confuses me in certain aspects.

All n' all, people really do need to lighten up, I've seen every video I can about the game and while i'm sorely disappointed it is a multiplayer only project, which is the least effective way of showcasing LoK's Lore, it's also something new and I'm DYING to play it.

Heck, if Nosgoth does really well, it might very well push SE to greenlight work on a sequel to Defiance, or revive the Dead Sun project.

lucinvampire
6th Dec 2013, 11:36
It’s been a wee bit since this thread has been updated but as a couple of new write ups are now available online it needed to be done…

Bazielim’s part two write up:

Monkeythumbz
6th Dec 2013, 17:35
It’s been a wee bit since this thread has been updated but as a couple of new write ups are now available online it needed to be done…

Umah Bloodomen’s write up:
http://chronoplast.umah-bloodomen.net/features/umah-visits-square-enix-europe/

Thanks for sharing this!

blincoln
7th Dec 2013, 05:18

in attendance were myself (LoK Wiki), Tenaya (Nosgothic Realm), Ardeth Silvereni (Dark Chronicle), and her fiancé Michael, Vampmaster (LoK program-master), Divine Shadow (NeoGAF's LoK detective), Raina Audron (Ancient's Den), Lucinvampire (Lucinvampire's Lair), Umah Bloodomen (moderator of the official forum), The Hylden (moderator of the official forum), Moesph/The Real Moebius (Timestreamer), Omega (the former Legacyofkain.net) and forum members, Jeffers, Ber, Exian and Ammon

I've been erased from history! Noooooooooo! This is payback for that time I accidentally erased Jeffers from history, isn't it?

:p

Bazielim
7th Dec 2013, 16:14
Oops! Sorry:o
Spot where I was copying the attendee list from the TLW article and forgot to add you in:lol:
Mistake rectified, history is in balance once more:D

The_Hylden
7th Dec 2013, 18:27
"And if events cannot be 'reshuffled' to accommodate the change?"

"It is the irritant who's expelled."

I feel history is starting to get that ol' abhorrent feeling. Mind the gap, Baz! ;)

Monkeythumbz
9th Dec 2013, 00:36
I've been erased from history! Noooooooooo! This is payback for that time I accidentally erased Jeffers from history, isn't it?

:p

My god! The Blincoln! We've walked right into his trap…